Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

The pushback from the realtors is a pretty basic jeopardy play; "if you stop our price fixing cartel, the people benefitting from our price fixing cartel will lose their jobs" isn't actually a good defense- it's a way to divert attention.

In the abstract it is an intellectually bankrupt defense, yes

Politically though "a million and a half people will lose their jobs, and they likely have no other job skills they can transfer to because this is already a job of last resort" is non-trivial when elections are being decided by very small voter margins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Discendo Vox posted:

The pushback from the realtors is a pretty basic jeopardy play; "if you stop our price fixing cartel, the people benefitting from our price fixing cartel will lose their jobs" isn't actually a good defense- it's a way to divert attention.

drat, son. You cold as ice. Look at this guy ready to throw 900,000 Grandmas on the street for a 6% discount.

SMDH.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would love to know the breakdown of how many real estate agents are part-time dabblers or people with a side gig versus people who do it full time. A remember a lot of my mom's friends getting into it thinking it'd be a quick way to make some extra bucks only for things to go south when they realized sales isn't an easy job.

Screwing up the sale or purchase of a person's main financial asset is a great way to destroy a friendship.

One time when I was looking at houses, and wandered into one after driving around a neighborhood. The neighboring district's absolutely goon of a state representative was hanging out in the kitchen showing the home. He's a second generation Florida state rep too, so not a part timer or someone still trying to make it.

All I could think about was how easy it would be to slap him in the face for all the trans pain he's been a party too and flee the scene, but I didn't so

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Politically though "a million and a half people will lose their jobs, and they likely have no other job skills they can transfer to because this is already a job of last resort" is non-trivial when elections are being decided by very small voter margins.

And it's those juicy suburban voters you're affecting too.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I love the framing of, 'no realtor is going to work for free, not knowing if they're going to get paid' as if the real estate company just has no way of paying people a wage like a normal job.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mendrian posted:

I love the framing of, 'no realtor is going to work for free, not knowing if they're going to get paid' as if the real estate company just has no way of paying people a wage like a normal job.

Right? Like, I thought a big hazard of the profession as it currently stands is that agents are often hustling around on their own dime until they make a sale happen.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

OK I think I've figured out the disconnect between macro indicators and consumer sentiment

https://twitter.com/_SofiaBaig_/status/1730606052360831294

https://twitter.com/_SofiaBaig_/status/1730607143353737290

The American electorate is full of loving morons

I posted it in BFC but in 2021-2022 the median income didn’t see a income increase. Less than median increased, more than median decreased slightly. There was huge variation around the trend line. I pushed on getting a more recent breakdown but nobody has anything other than aggregate figures.

Im going to dig that up, just a second.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Right? Like, I thought a big hazard of the profession as it currently stands is that agents are often hustling around on their own dime until they make a sale happen.

That was why I never got into real estate.
Sure, the ceiling is high, but there's no floor.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Definitely one of those mixed response issues from me. I know a few realtors personally and would hate to see them suffer from this. However, unfair fees and the like aren't going to help the long-term health of the housing market.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

zoux posted:

OK I think I've figured out the disconnect between macro indicators and consumer sentiment

https://twitter.com/_SofiaBaig_/status/1730606052360831294

https://twitter.com/_SofiaBaig_/status/1730607143353737290

The American electorate is full of loving morons

I don’t think they are morons. I think they are adjusting the questions for what they think are the likelihood of them happening based on their lived experience.

“Do you want prices to go down” seems reasonable because prices all shot up just a few years ago, they can go back down. Why not? And then saying “what if it causes a recession” causes them to think about how bad inflation/the economy is already hurting them and 37% will take their chances anyway.

“Do you want your income to go up” is always a yes, but if you interpret the question as “do you think your boss will raise your income enough to compensate for inflation” the answer is absolutely not.

A recession is bad, but you might make it through ok, your boss will give you a big raise some time after Joe Biden talks through his rear end Ace Ventura-style on live television.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Only to the degree that "politically" means "credulously accepting impact numbers from the people who've been running a price-fixing cartel."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://rooseveltinstitute.org/2022/04/04/increasing-wages-for-low-income-workers-is-key-for-a-full-economic-recovery/

There is a graph in this link : Figure 1. Average Hourly Real Wage Changes by Occupational Percentile, January and February 2020–2022

50th percentile looks to be about 0% in mean average wage change. For most average or better folks relative wages fell 2020-2022 based on that graph.

It’s not irrational for most folks at median or above to want deflation because they saw only prices increase, not their wages increases.

Think about the repercussions of a recession too, those primarily hit the below median.

Self interest for median and above is a recession and deflation. To a lot of folks a soft landing means my costs went up, my wages did not and everything stays that way.

This is the problem I was trying to communicate in BFC. In aggregate everybody is better off skipping a recession with a soft landing. But specific demographics are not better off. It’s like the elephant graph caused by globalization.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Curve

Think about the privileged classes (median and above) vs the not privileged classes (below median) and what the material conditions are going to lead each to conclude. Those conclusions can differ substantially from what is best in the aggregate.

They also aren’t irrational conclusions. What is irrational is to not be doing the class analysis.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

Only to the degree that "politically" means "credulously accepting impact numbers from the people who've been running a price-fixing cartel."

Why do you think those numbers are wrong?

I mean, once the MLRS is public, there's relatively little need for a broker at all. 90% of the job could be replaced by zwillow, and would be, and the remaining 10% would probably be swallowed up by whatever law firms are handling the transactions.

There's little to set realtors apart from travel agents with the mlrs gone. Just another zombie career abolished by the internet.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"Ending our price fixing cartel could hurt first time home-buyers!"

No it wouldn't. lol

it looks like the number of realtors is extremely volatile

The notion that this is critical employment seems a bit silly. Realtors already have zero protection against the fluctuations in the market and are thrown out of work pretty much because of bad luck with zero protection. Marginal realtors are regularly purged in the hundreds of thousands in housing slumps. Meanwhile, literally everyone (including realtors!) is paying out the rear end for high prices and high fees in the housing market.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

I mean, once the MLRS is public, there's relatively little need for a broker at all. 90% of the job could be replaced by zwillow, and would be, and the remaining 10% would probably be swallowed up by whatever law firms are handling the transactions.

There's little to set realtors apart from travel agents with the mlrs gone. Just another zombie career abolished by the internet.

Just for clarification:

The "more than half of realtors will leave the industry/lose their jobs" is from a financial analyst and not the NAR.

He also says that figure is his estimate if the DOJ wins their suit AND the class action suit that the DOJ is backing, but not filing, also succeeds.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 1, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I think realtors could still demonstrate a lot of value (either by helping sellers market their properties or by helping buyers broaden or refine their searches or point out red flags).

It'd be a lot of hard work, but I think being a good and successful realtor is probably a lot of that kind of hard "demonstration of extra value" work anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just for clarification:

The "more than half of realtors will leave the industry/lose their jobs" is from a financial analyst and not the NAR.

He also says that figure is his estimate if they DOJ wins their suit AND the class action suit that the DOJ is backing, but not filing, also succeeds.

That's also roughly in line with the collapse of travel agent jobs after the internet came along, which seems to me like the closest analogue..

That would mean only between 750,000 and a million jobs lost though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

"Ending our price fixing cartel could hurt first time home-buyers!"

No it wouldn't. lol

it looks like the number of realtors is extremely volatile

The notion that this is critical employment seems a bit silly. Realtors already have zero protection against the fluctuations in the market and are thrown out of work pretty much because of bad luck with zero protection. Marginal realtors are regularly purged in the hundreds of thousands in housing slumps. Meanwhile, literally everyone (including realtors!) is paying out the rear end for high prices and high fees in the housing market.

Seems pretty similar to the minimum wage arguments.

"If we pay our employees a living wage, we'll have to jack up our prices and install robots to automate their jobs!"

"But you're already jacking up prices and installing robots without paying your people. And all of the math proves that paying people an honest wage would only increase burger prices by like 5 cents."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Good. He's such a liar I'll bet amber wasn't even the natural color of his energy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When we were house shopping in 2020, our guy just gave us his MLS log-in and let us use that on our own to pick out stuff we were interested in. Is that unusual, does anyone know?

But yeah if you have access to that program then the only thing you need a realtor for is opening a key box, it's got everything

Also MLRS is rocket artillery, I hope that isn't made available to the public.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Good. He's such a liar I'll bet amber wasn't even the natural color of his energy.

Said a lot of lies and then some, some
Ended up with him taken down, down

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Also MLRS is rocket artillery, I hope that isn't made available to the public.

Somewhere someone suddenly had the urge to shout about their Second Amendment rights being violated.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

This response is certainly coming original

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

After our last realtor did approximately an hour of work to earn her 4% commission and attempted to cost us $50k in exchange for a quicker sale I’m pretty well convinced the profession simply should no longer exist

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just for clarification:

He also says that figure is his estimate if the DOJ wins their suit AND the class action suit that the DOJ is backing, but not filing, also succeeds.

I stand corrected on the source but color me skeptical until I see the report his firm is selling, which seems to be the only source literally anyone is using to predict outcomes here other than the parties themselves.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

rscott posted:

This response is certainly coming original

This derail is a beautiful disaster.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Was just talking with a Redfin realtor yesterday, and they said they just mirror the MLS with a nicer interface.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Something people aren't aware of is the government could just set price caps on things.

Would be nice to have some rent control.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Freakazoid_ posted:

Something people aren't aware of is the government could just set price caps on things.

Would be nice to have some rent control.

I think unfortunately doesn't this just lead to higher prices without the supply also increasing as well? I seem to remember this being brought up about IIRC Minnesota?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think unfortunately doesn't this just lead to higher prices without the supply also increasing as well? I seem to remember this being brought up about IIRC Minnesota?

How do price caps lead to a rise in price? That seems more than a bit unintuitive.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
It's also kind of unintuitive to imagine the government taking a side decisively against capital interests at this point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

How do price caps lead to a rise in price? That seems more than a bit unintuitive.

From what I remember, price controls led to a constriction in supply, i.e less new housing, which relative to other cities without price controls which had a glut of new housing constructed resulted in higher prices relatively speaking.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not on existing tenants, but every time someone moves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Xiahou Dun posted:

Price caps don't directly lead to a rise in prices, but they do lead to a drop in supply or a black market. Based on what Nixon did in the 70's, price caps on consumables can generally stabilize prices short-term, but run into problems if they are implemented long term. Nixon also froze wages during that period to make sure inflation didn't rise.

For things like rent control or non-consumable assets, it makes it much harder to move because it effectively increases the cost of moving somewhere else if you don't stay in one place to compound your rent controlled savings or you potentially lose real value on an asset when you exchange it under a cap.

For housing specifically, the problem is that there aren't enough houses for all the people who want to live in a specific area. Even if you implemented price caps, then you would have to forcibly relocate people to accommodate everyone in a high demand area. Or you'd have to use non-price methods of exchange like being assigned a place to live through a centrally organized distribution process, mandatory roommates, or forcibly relocating people if supply doesn't also increase.

There's plenty of houses in places like Youngstown, Ohio and plenty of room in the country, but people don't want to forcibly relocate to less dense part of the country or increase density in high-demand areas.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 2, 2023

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Control rent by forcing landlords to compete with free government provided housing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Price caps lead to all sorts of petulant bullshit from the gears of capitalism which then blame what they did on capitalism but they’re also not perfect anyway.

If more people want to live in an area than there are homes available then prices go up. If you set a price cap then the price can’t really go up anymore, but you also remove some incentive from people to build which means one of the roots of the problem remains.

The better ways to attack that problem are on the “homes available side” by both building more and disincentivizing the ownership of multiple homes by putting all landlords to the guillotine stopping airBNB type situations and creating higher taxes on rental income.

The messy thing is that that can lead to the landlord trying to charge more to recoup the losses in taxes but if you’re building more then prices should drop as availability goes up. This is why NIMBYs don’t want medium or high density housing built around them (that and they don’t want the poors to live nearby. Or anywhere. But also they hate homeless people.)

A ban on the ownership of more than two housing units (including the one you live in) sure would be an interesting solution.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Control rent by forcing landlords to compete with free government provided housing.

The Vienna model is the way. It's also a way to force transit oriented density in cities where private developers are only interested in sprawl.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

This derail is a beautiful disaster.

It's certainly making me reconsider everything.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

A ban on the ownership of more than two housing units (including the one you live in) sure would be an interesting solution.

You would absolutely have motherfuckers trying to loophole through that.
"Well I own these two houses. My wife owns 2 different houses, as does my son. They both live with me, of course, but only my name is on the paperwork. I also bought two houses for my dog, who is the legal owner, but I handle the paperwork for him."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BonoMan posted:

Good. Home buying in this country is absolutely a racket locked up by a cabal of literal idiots.
Realtors could all pivot to being recruiters, another profession composed of absolute morons who peaked in high school.

Bodyholes posted:

The Vienna model is the way. It's also a way to force transit oriented density in cities where private developers are only interested in sprawl.
Vienna is the best city I’ve ever been too, and it’s not even close. Just very competent governance that is apparent in so many ways.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

the_steve posted:

You would absolutely have motherfuckers trying to loophole through that.
"Well I own these two houses. My wife owns 2 different houses, as does my son. They both live with me, of course, but only my name is on the paperwork. I also bought two houses for my dog, who is the legal owner, but I handle the paperwork for him."

It’s probably unworkable for a million reasons but even having it split up like that would do wonders. The main thing would be you would no longer have corporate ownership of housing units. Imagine all the mega investment firms having to divest themselves of homes, condos, apartments.