Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My local supermarket just removed the plexiglass sneeze guards around their checkouts, lol

Covid is well and truly over here in Australia

Edit: they still had hand sanitizer at the entrance, lol

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

at most one . 2020-2021 school year

massachusetts was trickling kids back in at the start of CY2021, i know. plenty of time to start spreading poo poo.

also, america never locked down, of course.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Thanks for the thoughts and reassurance; if multiple Goons can agree on a protocol (in the absence of actual scientific guidance), that's a solid place to start a discussion on the home front!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

great and beautiful green eyes on this cat, excellent colors all round really

she beamed with pride and purred loudly when i let her read your message (she's literate) ty

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

quote:

it is caused by lockdowns that have weakened the immune system or mask-wearing and school closures leaving children vulnerable during seasonal illnesses

Basically any precautions to airborne illness are out the window from here on out.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

if mask wearing weakens immune systems, why does anyone recommend handwashing?

i hate this world so much.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Insanite posted:

if mask wearing weakens immune systems, why does anyone recommend handwashing?

i hate this world so much.

Finally someone calling out Big Soap.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

if preventing disease transmission in any way is harmful, it is a moral imperative to destroy Big Soap so that we may all live our best lives

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
The immunity debt poo poo is making me lose my mind. Not only a completely fake concept to begin with, but one that's predicated on something that never even happened. Everyone's just going to keep accepting it uncritically though and we're going to be hearing about it for the rest of our lives.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm sure that was the mind set of those folks who got all those spit swapping parties going couple of years ago

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

shazbot posted:

+1 to the not dying in surgery club. not a boss like unfortunate getting the trippy-b but I’ m down a cancer ridden kidney. masking was bettter than expect, got a swank private room. stingy with the pain meds and taking a poo poo and/or farting are part of my discharge requirements

all in all 0/10 don’t get kidney cancer

I spell checked like half this post but can’t concentrate enough for the rest. peace

Hell yeah, glad you survived and that your nurse is wearing an aura. That's pretty much hitting the jackpot.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
anecdotally, the hoarse coughs are back when I pick my kid up at school. my kid tells me lots of coughs are back. her teacher had to take their kid for a pulmonary function test and number is going
up

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

number going up is good, though?!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

One thing that kinda bother me is I'm seeing more and more news comments implying that China is to blame (again) for all those pneumonia cases lately.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
China forced a billion and a half people into the cruelest and deepest immune debt anywhere.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
china's immunity debt is so strong they infect it to all other countries too

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pingui posted:

Finally someone calling out Big Soap.

=(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Insanite posted:

it's insane. it's all just the lockdowns!

haven't most american kids been through a couple of winters of at least hybrid schooling by now?

Katelyn Jetelina has you covered

quote:

In the first 2-3 years of the pandemic, RSV and flu, for example, were incredibly suppressed due to pandemic control measures. This led to a new phrase: “immunity debt” or “immunity gap.”

The U.S.—which is one year ahead of China in lifting restrictions—still has higher than “normal” RSV infections. It will likely take a few years to re-synchronize viral dynamics, but the dramatic effect is less apparent every subsequent year. Below is my best attempt at visualizing this phenomenon.

While the term might be new to the public, this phenomenon has been seen before. For example, when sanitation improved, polio initially got much worse.
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/has-covid-messed-with-our-immune

:magemage:

Wonder how many years it will take before she has to pivot

oh wait

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/okay-people-i-need-your-help

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"synchronizing viral dynamics" sounds like a simcity loading screen message

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My county's immunity debt must be some kind of variable rate balloon payment thing because it just keeps not going away

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Vesi posted:

china's immunity debt is so strong they infect it to all other countries too

Going on CNN to very seriously talk about the Chinese Immune Debt Crisis and what it means for the West

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I high risk likely got owned at electrolysis today and I loving love the non handling of covid and workers being forced back to the job in order to not lose all their income.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

The immunity debt poo poo is making me lose my mind. Not only a completely fake concept to begin with, but one that's predicated on something that never even happened.

:same: It just makes no sense to me. If immunity debt were real, then we would have observed it decades ago in astronauts who return from the International Space Station

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I almost don't mind it. If somebody brings it up it's an easy excuse to keep doing what you're doing. Oh yeah, my immunity debt is just too high, I'm locked down forever. Too bad so sad. Guess I'll just not be going out and getting sick because I just can't afford the payoff.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I high risk likely got owned at electrolysis today and I loving love the non handling of covid and workers being forced back to the job in order to not lose all their income.

oh, workers have their covid poo poo handled, now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/186wm2n/rather_than_giving_sick_time_our_hospital_is/

quote:

Almost every nurse on my unit has been sick in the past 2-3 months. To my understanding, the rest of our hospital is also struggling with staff illness, and this is how they want to handle it. I’m not against masks at all so let me explain what is most frustrating about this:

- We aren’t granted sick time, but can have 3 callouts in a year before it’s a write-up. Mandatory COVID or Flu A leaves (the 5 days) aren’t excused either. Once you trigger a write-up, you cannot miss a day or be even one minute late, otherwise you go to the next disciplinary action.

- Parents, patients, and guests don’t have to mask nor are staff allowed to request that they do so while we’re in the room, even if they are visibility sick.

- We are also only given a new mask if we enter a room that is COVID positive, otherwise we get 1 for the entire day. We also aren’t allowed to wear our own, not even surgical masks.

Am I overreacting out of frustration? Does this seem in line with what other hospitals are doing?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I would like to see what kind of mask they’re handing out

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

(..)

How thin can fabric be and technically still be called cloth?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Steve Yun posted:

i mean

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

for baby Yoda, headstraps actually less secure than ear straps

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pingui posted:

How thin can fabric be and technically still be called cloth?

When I worked at a grocery store during the height of the pandemic in 2020, corporate sent the stores these fabric masks that were so thin that I immediately ripped one apart because it was so thin and useless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Complications posted:

I almost don't mind it. If somebody brings it up it's an easy excuse to keep doing what you're doing. Oh yeah, my immunity debt is just too high, I'm locked down forever. Too bad so sad. Guess I'll just not be going out and getting sick because I just can't afford the payoff.

It’s a fun tactic.

Also try “I’m waiting for the virus to evolve toward mildness”.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mill Village posted:

When I worked at a grocery store during the height of the pandemic in 2020, corporate sent the stores these fabric masks that were so thin that I immediately ripped one apart because it was so thin and useless.

So really more of a homeopathic concept. We never really stood a chance, huh?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Japanese government sent out millions of masks (Abenomasuku) to households and they were the shittiest things you can imagine, even when I was still rocking the surgicals I wore this bad boy maybe twice before tossing it. They had three layers of cloth but were impossibly tiny, here's the old man himself donning one poorly. It guards against neither aerosols nor projectiles.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
this may be worth keeping an eye out for next year. a paper is due in about 5 months with further evidence for infection leading to higher risk of infection in Chronic Kidney Disease patients; data set up to June 2022, although vast majority unvaccinated

https://twitter.com/ChristosArgyrop/status/1724993884940337630

close-up of the image

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

after 3 years it finally got me

I pulled out my Paxlovid to find it expired March 2023. However since pills don't really expire and HHS extended the dates – I'm good to go.

however I haven't been keeping up with the thread since first of the year so if there are any new tips & tricks to getting thru this without long covid I would very much appreciate them

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Burn Zone posted:

after 3 years it finally got me

I pulled out my Paxlovid to find it expired March 2023. However since pills don't really expire and HHS extended the dates – I'm good to go.

however I haven't been keeping up with the thread since first of the year so if there are any new tips & tricks to getting thru this without long covid I would very much appreciate them

sucks rear end. i think the thread knowledge is to take 10 days of pax and not exercise for a while. not sure if there's much more even suspected to work than that =/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Metformin if you can find a doctor to hook you up. OTC, an iota-carrageenan or a xylitol nasal spray can cut down the viral load, and a CPC mouthwash.

Those are all “can’t hurt, might help for $10” things.

Also, if you’re on pax, get a big bag of sugar-free cough drops or sugar-free hard candy and basically chain-suck them if necessary

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry Burn Zone. Rest and fluids helped for me and my father.

Soap Scum posted:

i think it's time for some petposting

everyone look at my cat

okay thanks

Excellent cat, thank you.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Why do the hard candies need to be sugar free? Is it just because you'll eat so many that your teeth will rot, or is it a xylitol thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's been eight months since I first had covid. I didn't do any strenuous activity for six weeks as part of my recovery plan. idk if you can afford to do that, for that long, but that's what I did.