Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I easily put down enough hours on this game that paying for an annual premium subscription come sale time is not an issue at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah 108s, same as on the k4 I believe. Horrible muzzle velocity but since you've got 4 and they shoot pretty quick you can spray and pray when people cross your nose and get lucky most of the time.

The single 108 on the K4 is enough to mortally damage a plane on a glancing hit and will outright blow it to bits on a direct hit. I used to dislike it as in air RB your target will see you coming for them but in ground RB it’s much easier to get the drop on people.

An alternate option I keep in my lineup if there’s a lot of bombers or strike aircraft about is the Bf 109 G10 with the Mk108 motor cannon and the Mk108 gun pods. The pods add a performance hit (and normally I’d never use them) but the firepower is entertaining.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d gladly trade the Mk108s and Mk151s for another pair of Mk103s in the A-1a/U1. Or even just the pair of Mk103s with the rest of the weight left on the ground.

Mk103s are life.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think while we're fantasizing about what guns we'd like to have on planes if I could wave a magic wand and conjure up any plane I wanted it would either be a Spitfire LF Mk IX or Bf 109 K4 armed with 6 Browning M2 machine guns. Cannons are great and all but I really think the Americans were on to something when they decided to just cram as many 50 cals in to whatever they could.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
minengeschoss though :love:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
dream plane - B-25J20 with Browning M3 50 cals :getin:

Any plane with M3 brownings on the turrets would be insane

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing USSR tanks, and the skill issue is real. I seem to just get instantly killed right away. Trying to go slowly, follow teammates, and make sure i'm not being taken by surprise out of no where, and even then I still die horribly right away. :P

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

A longy

https://i.imgur.com/ytvizQs.mp4

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I said come in! posted:

Playing USSR tanks, and the skill issue is real. I seem to just get instantly killed right away. Trying to go slowly, follow teammates, and make sure i'm not being taken by surprise out of no where, and even then I still die horribly right away. :P

Get the t34s with the better ammo (1940 plus I think) and learn to use their guns (lower velocity than ideal). They are incredible tanks.

The trick with them is angling not facing front on, their front/side are 45/40mm which seems thin but is very steeply sloped and you can basically point the corner of your tank at equal-tier enemies and be safe from hull penetrations.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
started getting into this a week or two ago just now decided ill waste some time on paint decoration to see what the limitations are

i did my best. i haven't seen it before but if i was able to come up with it.. plenty others have surely, with my free/available things currently.

a big ballsack on the nose and the red lady with two added details

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Discovering decals and using them inappropriately is the first right of passage in War Thunder.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Now to figure out a way to celebrate Kissinger being dead with decals.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

They're slow in terms of speed but they pack a great punch early on. Get inside a tank destroyer (SUs) or artillery (KVs) and you'll be 1-shotting mans in no time

T34s are your all-rounder tanks. Pretty fast and strong too but you'll need to watch out for ze germans in them as they'll outclass you

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 30, 2023

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The BT's are some of the best low tier tanks, you just need to remember you have no shoulder stabs like everyone else.

And than once you hit the KV's you will be laughing at how many shots just fail to do much against you, even now when there is more high pen rounds out

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

A very large part of ground battles is knowing the maps. Even at low tiers, you're going to have a hard time until you figure out where to expect enemies to be.

We can try to give advice for specific maps, but it mostly boils down to playing more.

Keru posted:

Now to figure out a way to celebrate Kissinger being dead with decals.

:emptyquote:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speaking of ground maps, 38th parallel is the worst. It’s so unbalanced, they should just remove it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

https://forum.warthunder.com/t/suggestions-passed-to-the-developers-november-2023/49652

Some neat vehicles here! The most interesting suggestion is that last one: "Allow players to test-drive all vehicles"!

(For new players: you can make suggestions for new vehicles and features on the Gaijin forums, and they select the best ones every once in a while. Sometimes they even implement them!)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah test drive all vehicles just makes sense. So silly that you can't.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also making all load outs available in test drive to see things like how you actually use them, their limitations, etc

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Test drive is going to make me sad I can’t get things like the good EBR etc but I still want to try it

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Speaking of ground maps, 38th parallel is the worst. It’s so unbalanced, they should just remove it.

It's never felt unbalanced to me, I lose no matter which side I spawn on. :dadjoke:

A basin with cap points surrounded by sniping spots, what could possibly go wrong?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I think it's ok at like 4.3 and below. Maybe 3.7, actually. Or, hmm, 2.3, actually.

Ok, so you have a point: it's only good when the tanks and/or the players aren't able to exploit the massive sniping lanes.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Shanakin posted:

Discovering decals and using them inappropriately is the first right of passage in War Thunder.

Its a shame newer players won't get to experience the fun that was had buying a captured premium tank and slapping the the normal faction markings over it. For those that don't know, back in the day mixed teams weren't really a thing as teams were all axis, all western allies, or all USSR (I think USSR and western allies could mix if there wasn't enough players about but I honestly can't remember). As a result your typical german player would see a Panzer III or Panther with a balkenkreuz on it tootling about and not give it much thought, not noticing that there was no player nametag above the name until it was too late. So you could get the Soviet Panzer III, Panther, or the German M4 and drive around the enemy team often in plain sight before shooting them in the back.

Incidentally this is why captured premiums now have markings as part of their camoflague that cannot be removed, and why certain faction markings are barred from being applied to them. Not that these days it would be especially helpful now that teams are mixed up.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Any trick to reliably killing the plague of M109 variants? Aside from keeping HE loaded at all times.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Any trick to reliably killing the plague of M109 variants? Aside from keeping HE loaded at all times.

shoot them?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
You can penetrate them even with a regular machine gun at close range

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's funny. When people say "this is the worst map" and don't say Red Desert, I usually have to remind them it exists and the response is usually "Oh yeah I forgot it exists because I have it banned from rotation."

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Reason 1 of why taking a full ammo load is bad.

https://i.imgur.com/kqlU2ny.mp4

I had no idea this game had secondary detonations. Anyway does anyone know of a free/cheap easy to use program like Photos or Clipchamp that doesnt limit the output to 30fps?

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I still giggle a bit when I shoot down a Pe-8 or other heavy bomber and get the bombs exploding. It really is very gratifying.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

We're getting Rank VIII vehicles! Gaijin announced this by immediately revealing Rank VII premium vehicles.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/8611...-oes-m1a1-hc-en

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had no idea this game had secondary detonations. Anyway does anyone know of a free/cheap easy to use program like Photos or Clipchamp that doesnt limit the output to 30fps?

I just use OBStudio and the replay function ingame to record stuff I think was neat or fun. It's a lot of stuff to setup, but there's decent guides for it out there to get a decent quality (like 1080p/60fps) for recording without losing too much quality.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Blender makes a surprisingly good video editor now and is free. It doesn't quite hold your hand to that level but basic video editing is not all that complicated either.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I use Avidemux to cut clips

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For the upcoming christmas sale, is there a list of good premium vehicles for each tech tree & country to consider buying? I wanted to get a premium vehicle for each tech tree in the USSR.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'll give them a try and see what I get along with.

Its a very frustrating state of affairs that the tools Microsoft bundles with Windows 11 are very user friendly but have some bullshit "technical limitation" that means any outputs are capped at 30fps. The Windows 10 version of Photos would keep the framerate the same as the original video but thats too much for 11 apparently. I miss Movie Maker.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Its a very frustrating state of affairs that the tools Microsoft bundles with Windows 11 are very user friendly but have some bullshit "technical limitation" that means any outputs are capped at 30fps. The Windows 10 version of Photos would keep the framerate the same as the original video but thats too much for 11 apparently. I miss Movie Maker.

:confused: I used Win11's Clipchamp a few days ago to edit some (non-WT) gameplay and it wasn't capped at 30fps.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

I said come in! posted:

For the upcoming christmas sale, is there a list of good premium vehicles for each tech tree & country to consider buying? I wanted to get a premium vehicle for each tech tree in the USSR.

Just off the top of my head:

Ground
--------------
Germany: Turm III
Russia: T-55AM-1, T-72AV (TURMS-T), 2S38,
Japan: Type 16 (FPS)
China: WMA 301

Air
-------------
US: F5C (widely considered to be the best air premium)
Russia: Su-11
Japan: T-2 Early
China: A-5C
Italy: Ariete (crazy good gunfighter)

Those are the ones I have experience with and enjoy. Some of them might have been removed. You'd probably be better off searching youtube for recommendations for each country/tree since it's doubtful someone here has ALL of the relevant premiums.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Trying to do the Thundercloud challenge for the battlepass and I'm having trouble with this section:

Any suggestions for a good plane with rockets I can do this with?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Farecoal posted:

Trying to do the Thundercloud challenge for the battlepass and I'm having trouble with this section:

Any suggestions for a good plane with rockets I can do this with?

The classic is the Hellcats with 2x Tiny Tims, but I did it with the A-1H with a whole gently caress-ton of Zunis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The French F4-7 with 114 SNEB rockets is a handy one for this.