Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bottom Liner posted:

You should join us in the music photography thread. We have everything from punk shows to K-pop tours, but not much rave and DJ type stuff

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3092090&goto=lastpost

Thanks for the heads-up, I will! I've been meaning to put myself out there and offer to shoot more bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

I was eyeing up the sigma 105 f/1.4

i’d have to sell everything to get it lol, and it looks like a dream lens

except

it’s bad when shooting into the sun apparently. and I do that a lot. so I have used this to justify not lusting after it and being content with what I have

when I visit hashtags of the 135mm lens I don’t like what most people are doing with it. I am trying to be the exception

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what do you want to do that your current, beloved 135 cannot do?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s a very good question. it’s largely others that encourage me to try and learn some different skills. which is worthwhile on some level but I did have someone remind me that there is only one of me and why should I try n be like others anyway

I recognise that there are some shots that don’t work so well with a longer lens. if I am shooting a portrait and have someone standing, I have to be quite far back and it creates a very specific effect that I am usually not that keen on. I’ve worked out if I want all of someone in a shot I need them sitting or something to make them take up less space in a frame. so far this has worked fine

so yeah good question. it was only others that made me discontent with my prior choice to stay locked in to a long lens

I am finding having a 50 handy, but as a walk around, family photo kinda lens. and the EF 50mm f/1.4 is quite good here cos it’s not big and in fact a very good size. unlike the sigma 35 which is a bit long and dumb size wise for what it is.

e: also a 35 or whatever is giving a very similar perspective to a phone camera and yeah of course having a large lens with larger aperture looks different to a phone, what it means for portrait is that what is important is the location and maybe you’ve got a theme going on and making all of it come together to get a good photo. but it is still a perspective quite comparable to either what a phone does or just what we experience day to day. a longer lens isn’t really like this, it’s not a day to day perspective, the compression is definitely a look that for lack of better words feels more “professional”, and as far as portrait goes for, it’s ultimately more about the model than the scene. which is more me anyway. this is all just a way for me to continually justify enjoying the 135. and tbh the 105 would probably be the perfect lens because slightly less limitation than 135 but also less common than 85 and that sigma got a nickname “bokeh master” or monster or something. the 135 makes pretty similar bokeh imo but the 105 being f/1.4 I spose there’s just more of it. but I do like shooting into the sun and I accidentally used a rainbow streaks filter on all the time for ages which put a huge low contrast cast over the photo which I suspect is what the 105 does naturally and it does suck a bit. nothing in life is simple. I suspect i’ll sell the 35 coz it’s also kinda ugly and imo you also gotta love how a lens looks to really fall in love

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 30, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Looking for some camera advice. I am almost exclusively into landscape photography, including on backpacking trips. I currently have a Nikon D7200 and am considering moving up to a full frame camera. I'm leaning heavily towards mirrorless for size/weight reasons. I have read that Nikon and Sony are the front runners for my use case due to having the highest dynamic range. Is that accurate, or should I consider other brands as well? I have a slight preference for Nikon due to nostalgia and having a couple of old Nikon manual lenses from my parents (I believe these would still work on a Nikon Z with an FTZ adapter), but if there are compelling reasons to pick a different brand I'm happy enough to do so.

In Nikon, it seems like the Z7 II is my best choice, as it has a smaller form factor than the Z8 or Z9, and perhaps a slightly better dynamic range than them as well? Am I getting that right?

In Sony, what model(s) should I consider?

Thanks!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Muir posted:

Looking for some camera advice. I am almost exclusively into landscape photography, including on backpacking trips. I currently have a Nikon D7200 and am considering moving up to a full frame camera. I'm leaning heavily towards mirrorless for size/weight reasons. I have read that Nikon and Sony are the front runners for my use case due to having the highest dynamic range. Is that accurate, or should I consider other brands as well? I have a slight preference for Nikon due to nostalgia and having a couple of old Nikon manual lenses from my parents (I believe these would still work on a Nikon Z with an FTZ adapter), but if there are compelling reasons to pick a different brand I'm happy enough to do so.

In Nikon, it seems like the Z7 II is my best choice, as it has a smaller form factor than the Z8 or Z9, and perhaps a slightly better dynamic range than them as well? Am I getting that right?

In Sony, what model(s) should I consider?

Thanks!

Just landscapes? Then I would consider the Z7. The Z7ii has better autofocus and a few other things you might like but a preowned Z7 go for £1100 these days. A z7ii new is £2400, preowned they are like £1800.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Just landscapes? Then I would consider the Z7. The Z7ii has better autofocus and a few other things you might like but a preowned Z7 go for £1100 these days. A z7ii new is £2400, preowned they are like £1800.

Agreed, the Z7 is an amazing value today. I prefer it over the Z8/Z9 for landscapes since I think the files are a little nicer.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Agreed, the Z7 is an amazing value today. I prefer it over the Z8/Z9 for landscapes since I think the files are a little nicer.

I'm not sure what you mean about the files -- in what way are they nicer?

Looks like my local camera store has a used Z7 with around 10,000 shutter count for $1200 and it comes with the L-bracket which I think I'd want anyway. So that sounds like a great option.

Muir fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 30, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Muir posted:

Looking for some camera advice.
genuinely, put your hands on a nikon Z7, a sony a7riv, and an a7cr. (assuming a7rv is too pricey)

beyond the handling/screen setup, consider the viewfinder if you use that. it's quite different between all of those i listed.

as far as image quality/resolution, they're all close enough.

i ended up with a sony a couple years ago because i wanted access to a broader range of lenses. i made that decision preferring the feel of the nikon (and having used nikon for my entire life). backpacking is my main thing too.

if i were buying again now, i'd buy the a7cr.

Muir posted:

Looks like my local camera store has a used Z7 with around 10,000 shutter count for $1200 and it comes with the L-bracket which I think I'd want anyway. So that sounds like a great option.
thats a drat good deal and sounds like a good bet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 30, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Muir posted:

It's hard to pinpoint but I feel the Z8/Z9 files are a bit "grittier"/harsher at lower ISOs. Of course the cameras themselves are outstanding and I'll bring one of them along if anything moves, but for landscapes specifically it feels like the Z7 sensor is just a tiny bit better. Maybe a bit more DR, a little smoother files.

And yeah, L-bracket is great on the Z7. The camera's a bit short so with normal sized hands your pinky falls off the bottom of the grip. Plus, L-brackets in general are excellent for landscapes. Just make sure you have a tripod head that takes arca-swiss brackets.

edit: dxomark also thinks the Z7 sensor is ever so slightly better. https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-Z7-versus-Nikon-Z8___1270_1386

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why are L brackets nice for landscapes? Just to be able to put your camera in vertical mode when using a tripod or is there another reason I am not aware of?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

blue squares posted:

Why are L brackets nice for landscapes? Just to be able to put your camera in vertical mode when using a tripod or is there another reason I am not aware of?

Yeah, for vertical mode while still being centered over the tripod instead of having the head swung down to the side.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

genuinely, put your hands on a nikon Z7, a sony a7riv, and an a7cr. (assuming a7rv is too pricey)

beyond the handling/screen setup, consider the viewfinder if you use that. it's quite different between all of those i listed.

as far as image quality/resolution, they're all close enough.

i ended up with a sony a couple years ago because i wanted access to a broader range of lenses. i made that decision preferring the feel of the nikon (and having used nikon for my entire life). backpacking is my main thing too.

if i were buying again now, i'd buy the a7cr.

Good advice, I'll get my hands on these at the shop as well and see what feels best.

What lenses do you find yourself using most for backpacking photography? I wasn't thinking I'd need much more than, say, the 14-30mm f/4 and the 24-200mm f/4-6.3.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's hard to pinpoint but I feel the Z8/Z9 files are a bit "grittier"/harsher at lower ISOs. Of course the cameras themselves are outstanding and I'll bring one of them along if anything moves, but for landscapes specifically it feels like the Z7 sensor is just a tiny bit better. Maybe a bit more DR, a little smoother files.

And yeah, L-bracket is great on the Z7. The camera's a bit short so with normal sized hands your pinky falls off the bottom of the grip. Plus, L-brackets in general are excellent for landscapes. Just make sure you have a tripod head that takes arca-swiss brackets.

edit: dxomark also thinks the Z7 sensor is ever so slightly better. https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-Z7-versus-Nikon-Z8___1270_1386

Interesting about the files. I did see that the specs put Z7 sensor above Z8 and Z9, surprisingly.

I have the Peak Design tripod and the two set pins come out to allow Arca brackets so I think it should be good to go.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

blue squares posted:

Exactly. You can quickly flip it into portrait mode. I use a ballhead most of the time and if you want to make a portrait orientation shot without the L-bracket you have to first rotate the base around so the slot is to either side, then loosen the ballhead and rotate the camera. Then hope your tripod is level so you don't end up at 85 degrees instead of 90 and have to adjust the legs to compensate etc.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Muir posted:

Yeah, for vertical mode while still being centered over the tripod instead of having the head swung down to the side.

Good advice, I'll get my hands on these at the shop as well and see what feels best.

What lenses do you find yourself using most for backpacking photography? I wasn't thinking I'd need much more than, say, the 14-30mm f/4 and the 24-200mm f/4-6.3.
that's a wildly personal decision. i carry a 21mm lens and a 70-200. i clearly don't care about "missing" a range of focal lengths lots of people find essential. i just take steps forward and back. i'm kinda there to walk around.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's a wildly personal decision. i carry a 21mm lens and a 70-200. i clearly don't care about "missing" a range of focal lengths lots of people find essential. i just take steps forward and back. i'm kinda there to walk around.

Oh, certainly a personal decision. I was just wondering for you since you said lens choice was what pushed you to pick Sony, if there were particular lenses you had in mind that you couldn't get in Nikon.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i think i could get versions of those two lenses in the nikon S system just fine, though they'd both be more expensive, and the 20/21mm or whatever would probably be heavier than what i carry.

i love nikon bodies, but resented the degree to which they were, at the time, controlling the lens ecosystem. i haven't really kept up, but i think that might be changing?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Nikon ZF is a real gem, and not just because of the aesthetics. The autofocus and dynamic range is probably the best on any camera under 5K right now. At 2k it's ridiculous.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

i think i could get versions of those two lenses in the nikon S system just fine, though they'd both be more expensive, and the 20/21mm or whatever would probably be heavier than what i carry.

i love nikon bodies, but resented the degree to which they were, at the time, controlling the lens ecosystem. i haven't really kept up, but i think that might be changing?

Got it, makes sense. I'm not sure how that's going these days either.

The same store also has a used Sony a7RIV in "excellent" condition (no shutter count given) for $1800, so that will be a hot contender for me as well. I'll try to get into the shop soon and get my hands on them both.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tamron and Sigma both have Z mount lenses now, but not many yet as they're just starting. Nikon's 1st party lineup is pretty solid at this point though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

Tamron and Sigma both have Z mount lenses now, but not many yet as they're just starting. Nikon's 1st party lineup is pretty solid at this point though.

Yeah, unless you are looking for more unusual stuff like a tilt/shift the lens lineup is pretty drat impressive. Tamron releasing third party lenses was no surprise since Nikon's been rebadging a handful (e.g. the 70-180) and it was probably done with the agreement that Tamron would get the keys to the kingdom at some point.

What is really nice is that at many focal lengths you get options. You can get the 50/1.8 or 1.2. The 85/1.8 or 1.2. The 14-30/4 or 14-24/2.8 etc. The only one I really miss is a 70-200/4 but my adapted F mount one will have to suffice for now. The tele/supertele lineup is amazing too: 100-400, 400/2.8, 400/4.5, 600/6.3, 600/4, 800/6.3, 180-600.

Only reason I can really see to go third party at this point is some specialty lens or if you just want a cheaper option than the Nikon stuff.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone used the rf 50mm the good one?

gently caress it’s pricey. is it “magical”? or just super sharp and excellent

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nikon's official line was they would allow 3rd party lenses that complimented the line up.
Now they have their roadmap done their own releases will probably slow down and I'd imagine they will more freely let others (besides tamron) to release lenses. Sigma have some aps-c lenses out but nothing ff yet.

An open format like Sony or Fuji would be better but atleast it's not like what canon are doing.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Only reason I can really see to go third party at this point is some specialty lens or if you just want a cheaper option than the Nikon stuff.

Nikon's 1.8 primes are great but a little on the large side. I'd personally like some 3rd party smaller options even if a touch of image quality is the price. Or if Nikon repeated what they did with the f2 40mm and 28mm at other focal lengths.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 1, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

If I had to do it again I might go Nikon now, it sounds like. Love that top mounted screen

I’m way in the hole with Sony now, alas. It’s just a tool, and a pretty good one

15 years ago this is all I wanted. A mirrorless body with MF quality. Gotta remind myself that sometimes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah whenever I get GAS, I have to remind myself that I currently own a setup that I used to dream of and could in no way even think of affording when it was new.

There will always be something better coming out

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah whenever I get GAS, I have to remind myself that I currently own a setup that I used to dream of and could in no way even think of affording when it was new.

Yeah, this exactly. I got to play around with my friend's Z9 and 180-600mm supertele a few months ago, and I immediately felt GAS but I am nowhere near able to afford $11,000 for a setup like that and I have to remind myself that I have pretty much everything I need. I mean, if anything my next big camera purchase might be another Z6 body, so I can carry both my 50mm and 20mm primes and use them quickly.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'd like to think that as time passes we all mature and come to the realization that the gear we used to dream of has now been surpassed by even better gear that we need to acquire.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Well, I had some unexpected time open up today so I went into the camera store to look at the Nikon and the Sony. Honestly, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they felt very similar. I went in pre-disposed to the Nikon, as it's what I'm used to, but I was also tempted by the higher resolution of the Sony. Long story short, I stuck with the Nikon, though I would've been quite happy with the Sony. Besides nostalgia and familiarity, I liked the Nikon better for two UI reasons -- the little screen on top for showing settings, and the position of the two custom function buttons being down on the front by my fingertips rather than up where I'd have to stretch my thumb a bit to reach behind the shutter button.

Besides the great deal on the used Z7 ($1200), I was able to still get the Nikon instant rebates from Black Friday/Cyber Week on the two lenses I wanted: NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR, $799 instead of $899, NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S for $1149 instead of $1349. We'll see how much they offer me for my old trade-in (D7200 and five DX lenses but nothing particularly pricey), I'd be pleased with $400-$500 given the used prices I'm seeing on Adorama. I've gotta wait a week for them to evaluate the trade-in value before I can finish the transaction and take the gear home, but the order is in so I can get those rebates locked in.

I think these two lenses will keep me for quite some time. I could see getting the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S in a few years when my kids are old enough to be doing sports in a real way, and maybe a fast prime like a 50mm f/1.8 for indoors/low light eventually, but not for a while.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
That’s a kick rear end set up. Have fun and take a billion pictures.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo is so good these days, buying a gen or two older still nets you incredibly capable gear and you’re not paying that premium and you also won’t experience the bummer feeling when a newer model comes out and you no longer have the latest

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am waiting for global shutter to hit the a7 line and I might consider a new body. Having a constant buffer of pre-captured shots and just scrolling through to choose the perfect moment is pretty incredible. Up to 80k shutter speed would let me hit f/1.4 in super bright situations without worrying about a filter, too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Having a constant buffer of pre-captured shots and just scrolling through to choose the perfect moment is pretty incredible.

We're not too far from just doing that with 16k video. That's exactly what the pre-buffer is doing, albeit only for 1 second before you press the shutter.

Global isn't all positive though, it generally has lower dynamic range and worse noise, but I imagine Sony wouldn't put it on their flagship body if they hadn't accounted for that and made improvements. HSS and not needing ND filters for 1.2 shooting is a nice boon for photos though, for sure. Global shutter is a much bigger deal for video though, and if Sony bring that to the next gen of the FX line it'll be a game changer.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 2, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s the impact of all of that on battery life?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I am waiting for global shutter to hit the a7 line and I might consider a new body. Having a constant buffer of pre-captured shots and just scrolling through to choose the perfect moment is pretty incredible.

That tech isn't reliant on global shutter, the Z9 has it.

The main things global shutter 'fixes' is flash synch, banding and distortion.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Nikon's official line was they would allow 3rd party lenses that complimented the line up.
Now they have their roadmap done their own releases will probably slow down and I'd imagine they will more freely let others (besides tamron) to release lenses. Sigma have some aps-c lenses out but nothing ff yet.

An open format like Sony or Fuji would be better but atleast it's not like what canon are doing.

Nikon's 1.8 primes are great but a little on the large side. I'd personally like some 3rd party smaller options even if a touch of image quality is the price. Or if Nikon repeated what they did with the f2 40mm and 28mm at other focal lengths.

Don't forget the 26mm f/2.8 which is pretty drat small.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So since that maxim about crop sensors having more reach is essentially a question of pixel density (ie, same number of pixels in smaller area), doesn’t that mean a full-frame sensor with a similar density essentially has that same reach, you just have to crop it yourself?

This moment of galaxy brain thinking brought to you by learning the Z7 has a DX mode and having a huge duh-doy experience

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

dupersaurus posted:

So since that maxim about crop sensors having more reach is essentially a question of pixel density (ie, same number of pixels in smaller area), doesn’t that mean a full-frame sensor with a similar density essentially has that same reach, you just have to crop it yourself?

This moment of galaxy brain thinking brought to you by learning the Z7 has a DX mode and having a huge duh-doy experience

Yes, in fact we do that a lot in the film industry (shooting larger format/resolution then cropping in). David Fincher does that with every single one of his digital movies so that he can reframe and post-stabilize shots.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

It's a super useful feature, especially if your camera has the ability to assign crop mode to a custom button for one click toggling. Sure, it's exactly the same as doing it in post, but shooting primes it can be super helpful to compose in body with the crop factor. And with Lightroom's super resolution feature, I have zero hesitation printing from cropped files.

\/ what?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 3, 2023

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

probably but an 83mp full frame would likely cost a bit more than an R7

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Backpack question. I've been using a PD Everyday Backpack for the last couple of years for most weekend-week long trips. I do have some annoyances with it:
  • Everything is very rigid and shares the same internal volume. If I pack it fully, I can barely jam a 10" laptop in it. If I put anything in the top pocket, it eats into the main compartment space. Same with side pockets.
  • You only get the claimed capacity at the top latch position which doesnt' feel very safe and is kind of ugly
  • If I use the top area to store most gear, I end up wasting a lot of that space

The pocket only has glasses in their case here. Plus you can see how much empty space there is, I can't raise the divider or put anything on top of the lens without making it difficult to remove it. You're probably supposed to use the side opening for camera stuff and jam clothes in the top, but I find it much more convenient to quickly pop the latch open than gently caress with the zippers every time I want to put the camera away.

Despite, I've found that the overall design works pretty well for me. I can store and easily grab a camera or another item from the top compartment, and the shelves do help organizign stuff without having to take up morse pace with packing cubes. This wasted space usually isn't a huge deal as I can still store a drone and some clothes for a short trip in the rest of the pack.

Unfortunately it's too small to pack for larger trips, but all 40l travel backpacks (max for airline reasons) that I've seen just have one huge compartment that opens like a suitcase. Sure I can use a camera cube but regardless, it would mean putting down the backpack on the ground, unzipping it 270 degrees, possibly undoing those straps, then doing everything in reverse if you don't want to leave it all open on the ground:

So I guess the question is, has anyone seen a ~40L backpack that would have a quickly accessible separate compartment for some camera gear as well as larger capacity to store clothes and other crap? The 30L version of the PD would be better than 20L obviously, but it's too big for the airline "personal item" and doesn't fully use the "carry on" capacity, and they're too expensive to just have both versions. Does anyone have their 45L travel backpack? It seems like it has side access, at least. But it's also :homebrew:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want to maximize a personal item or carry on backpack for camera + other gear, a cube system in a regular backpack is your best bet. I have an old Incase camera cube that is no longer made, but it takes up the bottom half of my normal 26L backpack and I put clothes in the top. The cube holds 2 bodies with a 70-200, 24-70, and a prime lens, which is close to what my 30L peak design backpack can hold (I fully agree with you about it's flaws as a camera bag).

EDIT: The new Shimoda Urban bags look like a good design and come in 3 sizes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shimodadesigns/shimoda-urban-explore

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 4, 2023