Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Santos finalled got expelled.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/george-santos-expulsion-vote-12-1-23/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Lexorin posted:

Wet brine in just saltwater (nothing else added will penetrate anyway so gently caress it). De-bone the bird (and keep said bird in one piece) and use them bones for stock/gravy/stuffing. Put your now flat turkey on a tray in the fridge with just the skin exposed, so the skin dries out (Around 24 hours will do, this makes for extra crispy skin). Now herb-butter/oil that skin and cook the bird at 400-ish until it's internal temp is 175 (It's brined, so you need to burn off more water from your already waterlogged bird).

The only downside is you don't have a "traditional" looking bird, you just have a big 'ol pile of meat. Also the three days of prep time I guess.

I find dry brining superior because I don't have anywhere to conveniently dispose of like four gallons of raw poultry water. There's no mess with a dry brine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

More shad on us, we've lost our funniest congressman.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Weird that it took so long but also weird that they’re acting like it’s strange for there to be a conman in congress

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
https://imgur.com/a/0Yb3wxz

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

tHiS sEtS a dAnGeRoUs pReCeDeNt
:goonsay:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This was my bird. So tender you could carve it by hand. The skin was incredible.

Definitely not doing an 18lbs bird again, but will always follow similar methods because it's just too drat good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

BigHead posted:

I find dry brining superior because I don't have anywhere to conveniently dispose of like four gallons of raw poultry water. There's no mess with a dry brine.

a sink like a normal person?

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

Large Testicles posted:

a sink like a normal person?

Or flush it

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

majority voted to remove his arm too

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fliiiiight riiiiisk

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Upsidads posted:

Fliiiiight riiiiisk

I totally expect him to be a candidate for congress in Brazil next year

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nobody Interesting posted:

What is going on there

It's reversed footage, they're putting him in the pipe, hope it helps.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Daily Star has the full story but they're not exactly the most reliable source and I couldn't find the story in a legitimate news outlet

E: the Daily Mail had a completely different version of the story and they link back to an article that looks pretty legit from RTnews

The RT and Daily Mail stories are about a different situation with a man stuck in a pipe. The video linked in this thread happened in St Petersburg, the firemen have Firefighting Service of St Petersburg on their jackets. The other situation happened in Kursk.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

PurpleXVI posted:

It's reversed footage, they're putting him in the pipe, hope it helps.

I would actually love to see the original footage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hosed up to expel the first professional baseball astronaut Latina from the body

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

King Carnivore posted:

The RT and Daily Mail stories are about a different situation with a man stuck in a pipe. The video linked in this thread happened in St Petersburg, the firemen have Firefighting Service of St Petersburg on their jackets. The other situation happened in Kursk.

So there's multiple news stories of Russian men getting black out drunk and ending up in pipes with no idea how they got there, in different cities in Russia, hundreds of miles apart?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Russia has 140 million people. If somebody told you it happened twice to the same guy in Florida we'd all just nod thoughtfully

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

Air Skwirl posted:

So there's multiple news stories of Russian men getting black out drunk and ending up in pipes with no idea how they got there, in different cities in Russia, hundreds of miles apart?

Why does that surprise you lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

darkwasthenight posted:

Russia has 140 million people. If somebody told you it happened twice to the same guy in Florida we'd all just nod thoughtfully

Damnit Jason

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

freeedr posted:

Weird that it took so long but also weird that they’re acting like it’s strange for there to be a conman in congress
I think it's a lot like "saying the dogwhistle part out loud" in that we expect some level of dishonesty and fuckery from our elected officials, but he outright lied about 99% of everything. Not just exaggerating a bit, complete and total fabricated bullshit. Plus the whole campaign finance crimes. Just being a pathological liar probably wouldn't have gotten him expelled.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

same dude same pipe diffrent days

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Turns out his toilet was too wide.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's the Bendy ManTM!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

So tender you could carve it by hand.

Are there turkey carving robots I don't know about?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Are there turkey carving robots I don't know about?

I use a da Vinci with a #11 blade

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/umpqo3P.mp4

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The white car is being rude but lol at the black car speeding up

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

What is going on there

The video is reversed.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

everydayfalls posted:

The 165 temp is the “every bacteria is 100% dead temperature” which you should only use for feeding babies or the infirm.

So what are you supposed to do if everyone eating Thanksgiving dinner is one or both of the above?

E: This is a serious question as this was my situation this year.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Dec 2, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

So what are you supposed to do if everyone eating Thanksgiving dinner is one or both of the above?

Your poison Thanksgiving is making heaven too crowded

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Very good i hope she recovered fine

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Your best bet is to cook smaller. Don't do a whole bird, break it up into pieces that can each be pulled when fully cooked. Or just do a turkey breast. Or one of those heat and eat hams.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Well, it’s an exponential time-temp curve, which means 140F for an hour (made up number, but close) is the same as 165F for 1 second. So I’d aim for 160 for a couple of minutes, and with carryover cooking, you could pull it safely at 156ish. There’s always bacteria and such, the goal of cooking temperatures is to take a million bacteria, and heat it til one survives.

Of course ideally you spatchcock the turkey and get it to 155 and it’ll get up to safe temps for long enough as it spreads the heat

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just get a big old garbage bag and sous vide that baby starting the Monday beforehand

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Enderzero posted:

Well, it’s an exponential time-temp curve, which means 140F for an hour (made up number, but close) is the same as 165F for 1 second.

Logarithmic, typically. A Z-degree increase in temperature will reduce required time by a factor of 10. A 2*Z increase will reduce it by a factor of 100. Etc.

(The exact value of Z depends on the organism you're trying to kill. But when killing of bolulinum for canning purposes Z = 10 degrees C (18 degrees F).

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

The Lone Badger posted:

Logarithmic, typically. A Z-degree increase in temperature will reduce required time by a factor of 10. A 2*Z increase will reduce it by a factor of 100. Etc.

(The exact value of Z depends on the organism you're trying to kill. But when killing of bolulinum for canning purposes Z = 10 degrees C (18 degrees F).

Right, inverse of exponential. Good call

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
please take turkey chat to GWS or the horrible food thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Brawnfire posted:

Turns out his toilet was too wide.