Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX3K6WNaL1M

Civvie made a Strife video. I think I remember another bad ending Blackbird backstabbing you but it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Traveller posted:

Civvie made a Strife video. I think I remember another bad ending Blackbird backstabbing you but it's been a while.

Beaten by a page!

I really enjoyed Strife, it's a lot more polished than the engine might imply that it can be. One small detail that Civvie didn't mention was how the demo tied in; it wasn't some small slice of the whole game isolated, but it kinda did its own thing. When you fire up the main game, the content of the demo is implied to have happened in the past, with the rebel base you visited now a fired-out shell after an Order raid. It's small details like that which showcase the effort that went into it. Also that good ending, lol, loved it.

As an aside, Strife also really highlights the shortcomings of all the faux-retro stuff we have nowadays; despite being on the Doom engine, which was already dated by the time it released, they really went all-out trying to make it look as shiny as possible. Those portraits/artwork, etc! Budget stuff like Hands of the Necromancer really do look like trash - even 'good' efforts like Selaco pale in comparison.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What do you mean? I thought Selaco looks incredible

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah Selaco looks great, although I agree with his overall point. The reason is, 90s games were done by a dozen professionals, so even with more primitive tools and tech they could make more custom (and better) art, good sound effects, good animations, etc, while lots of faux retro shooters are one or two-man projects, and done by people without a lot of previous experience.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wonder if and how much of a curve I'm grading these games on. I think the best ones are pretty good to great but obviously some look decades older than they are. Hrot looks like 25 years older than it is lol. Then again I don't think I've bought a triple A title at launch in eons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mean for most of these games the point is to look like they came out 20 to 30 years ago(or more often a more idealized version of that)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a goddamn 24 years later new Slave Zero

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wonder if and how much of a curve I'm grading these games on. I think the best ones are pretty good to great but obviously some look decades older than they are. Hrot looks like 25 years older than it is lol. Then again I don't think I've bought a triple A title at launch in eons.

The measure of a good FPS game is whether I lose track of time while playing it. Doing A levels years ago I would routinely sit down for a quick go on Blood in the evening then realise I've just finished an episode at 2.30am

(Thankfully my work ethic has improved since I got a liquid filled Blood mouse mat to use during office hours)

I'm not sure why, but the more polygon and texture detail a game has, the harder I find it to get lost in the experience. Deus Ex and Timesplitters 2 are about the perfect level of fidelity imo as they convey a sense of atmosphere and style while retaining bright colours and easily recognisable enemies.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PC Gamer did another trailer showcase, and there were a couple of things of varyingly vague relevance in it:

Gloomwood showed off an upcoming area, the Underport, with some old friends that have spent their time away apparently getting just as good at crawling under and through things as you are. No exact date, but apparently something will be coming this month...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKdOEr752w

Wild Bastards is the sequel to Void Bastards, surprisingly enough, injecting open environments and Overwatch-y heroes into its first-person-roguelite formula. I'm not hugely convinced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-iBW-A9m3o

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Or the old "finish a game, immediately restart" mark of quality. I used to do that with Cultic. I was beating it like 2-3 times a day at my peak

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Traveller posted:

This is part of the "kill Macil first" ending; Blackbird reveals herself to have been the One God all along through a transmission once you enter the final boss arena.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got Strife on switch but I think I hosed up a quest by aggroing NPCs and now everyone wants me dead. The game was cool!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Art imitating life

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

Gloomwood showed off an upcoming area, the Underport, with some old friends that have spent their time away apparently getting just as good at crawling under and through things as you are. No exact date, but apparently something will be coming this month...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKdOEr752w

Looks cool, still waiting for it to leave EA before playing it. Seems like a game where you really want all the areas and story to be done before diving in.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turok 3 is sick. Looks loving amazing. Highly recommended.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I like that turok has a framed picture of a chicken

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Wild Bastards is the sequel to Void Bastards, surprisingly enough, injecting open environments and Overwatch-y heroes into its first-person-roguelite formula. I'm not hugely convinced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-iBW-A9m3o

I never played VB because the actual moving and shooting looked pretty bland, and it doesn't look like the sequel's changing that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah Selaco looks great, although I agree with his overall point. The reason is, 90s games were done by a dozen professionals, so even with more primitive tools and tech they could make more custom (and better) art, good sound effects, good animations, etc, while lots of faux retro shooters are one or two-man projects, and done by people without a lot of previous experience.

At the same time, I can appreciate when a game has a artistic vision that is able to be fulfilled by a single artist. However these can be exceptional cases, and usually involve the artist being overburdened, which I'm not a fan of, even if done voluntarily. One of the things I really dig about Hrot is that vivid vision realized by it, even if the result is necessarily limited in scope. Quality (artistic vision) over quantity (detailed assets) IMO I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Traveller posted:

It really isn’t possible to end a video game better than scoring with a hot chick with big knockers and so many devs have failed trying

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Turok 3 was a very odd duck in the franchise trying to follow a new trend (read: Half-Life) after going after another new trend (the arena shooter with Rage Wars). I'm really going to like analyzing it deeper now that I have a more refined eye than I did back when I first played it. That's going to be much later though, lots of other stuff to burn through before that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tiny Timbs posted:

It really isn’t possible to end a video game better than scoring with a hot chick with big knockers and so many devs have failed trying

I have to say I kind of admire the audacity, it's just the most blatant wish fulfillment possible. A lot of games from that era threw in a woman who spoke seductively for no reason, and maybe sort of strung you along, but I get the sense that the Strife devs never once considered that the good ending would not involve the main character immediately getting with the hot chick.

Also pretty blatantly inspired by Rogue.

EDIT:

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2023

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

So, about half-way through The Black Parade, and:

It is an extremely, unapologetically Thief 1: but 25 years later experience. Multiple levels so far I've grabbed the objectives, hit the loot goal, and gone "OK, time to gently caress right off" and legged it back to the start. Absolutely beautiful on occasion what with the working horses and killer doggos, and some really well done, deep, references Oh, hi there Gamall. And a David Cameron joke, I think but I kind of wonder what a new-ish Thief player would make of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turok 3 is crazy ambitious for an N64 game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

I have to say I kind of admire the audacity, it's just the most blatant wish fulfillment possible. A lot of games from that era threw in a woman who spoke seductively for no reason, and maybe sort of strung you along, but I get the sense that the Strife devs never once considered that the good ending would not involve the main character immediately getting with the hot chick.

Also pretty blatantly inspired by Rogue.

EDIT:

Rogue you say? Shelbyville's right

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Milo and POTUS posted:

Or the old "finish a game, immediately restart" mark of quality. I used to do that with Cultic. I was beating it like 2-3 times a day at my peak

A week after I got cultic I then went back to just "try" hard mode and almost finished it again in one sitting. The lever action might be one of the single greatest FPS guns. I wish every retro FPS had combat feel on that level

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cultic was good enough to where i felt inspired to, and did, beat it on the highest difficulty

Tiny Timbs posted:

i want videogames to be less scared to show me full frontal hog and i think i deserve this

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Johnny Joestar posted:

cultic was good enough to where i felt inspired to, and did, beat it on the highest difficulty

i want videogames to be less scared to show me full frontal hog and i think i deserve this

There’s a Frictional Games thread somewhere around, right?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Turok 3 is crazy ambitious for an N64 game.

I remember being super impressed by the cutscenes and lip syncing in an n64 game of all things, when it first came out

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Good soup! posted:

I remember being super impressed by the cutscenes and lip syncing in an n64 game of all things, when it first came out

It's impressive, but Conker's Bad Fur Day takes the award for most stuff crammed into an N64 game imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Conker's is insane and part of that group alongside RE2, Turok 3, Perfect Dark, and maybe a few others where I'm convinced it's loving magic how much audio and poo poo they crammed into those tiny rear end carts

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The carts were getting less tiny over time, Turok 3 was 32MB, Conker was 64MB. Given a 32kbit/s bitrate (no idea what codec or bitrate these games were using, but given their quality, they are definitely compressed) 14.4MB would give you about an hours worth of voice data. Not magic, I guess the N64's overpowered CPU came in handy?

RE2 was definitely impressive though, mostly because of the video.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

64 was such a weird system. Some poo poo looked loving great and others, usually textures, looked like dogshit. Guess it did sound kinda crappy though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turok 3 feels so like a proto-Timesplitters game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turok 3 feels so like a proto-Timesplitters game

I was looking for the way I'd define it, and yeah, this is nailing it so far 3 levels in.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The companies in the first building include UAC and Half-Life Energy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the way the game gives you weapons is bizarre. you get the vampire gun, minigun and grenade launcher all in the space of about five minutes. i have no idea what the vampire gun does.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Maybe it's a flashlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

the way the game gives you weapons is bizarre. you get the vampire gun, minigun and grenade launcher all in the space of about five minutes.
I found the Cerebral Bore and the Cerebral Bore's upgrade within three paces of each other. I get the feeling that there was a slight rush at the end of the original version's development to get the thing done and running on a retail N64...

i have no idea what the vampire gun does.
You point it at a reasonably close enemy and hold the button and they're supposed to flail around and deflate into stickbugs while you drain their health. It didn't seem hugely useful to me since it takes very long to kill one enemy with it in comparison to just popping their skull with the upgraded pistol.