Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm not normally big on WLM but the Psycho/Batman Begins/Roger Rabbit run has been absolutely great. Except for Eric referencing "the perfect slit" and it all came back to me and made me shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh God, the intro to the Thrawn ep was perfect.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh God, the intro to the Thrawn ep was perfect.

I thought I had played the Iron Man 3 episode by mistake.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I love how much more Amy, Eric’s wife, knows about the old (and new) Star Wars EU than Eric does.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Also, very much a Chris Cabin episode. Dude seems to love Thrawn lol

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

I love WHM. It also reminds how quickly and thoroughly HDTGM went completely to poo poo. It used to be pretty great believe it or not and it’s all but unlistenable now.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

tehslime posted:

I love WHM. It also reminds how quickly and thoroughly HDTGM went completely to poo poo. It used to be pretty great believe it or not and it’s all but unlistenable now.

I only find their live shows enjoyable. HDTGM really knows how to work an audience.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah that show isn’t great, I only put it on when I got nothing else to listen to

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Speaking of shows that went to poo poo: The Flop House used be great, then it turned into the Elliott Kalan show featuring 30 minutes of his improv songs, 35 minutes of “hilarious” viewer mail, and five minutes of movie discussion, if they can fit it in.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I really liked The Flop House, but Elliot's become too manic. And because they're not in the same room anymore, they also step on each other's interjections constantly. WHM comparatively is really good at moving the jokes/conversation around and not barrelling over each other to get every random thought in except the "perfect slit".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Roger Rabbit is definitely one of those perfect movies. The screenplay is tight, the jokes all land, the performances are pitch perfect. The special effects are just absolutely mind blowing. It's one of the few movies where all of the things that are movie magic just come together 100% perfectly.

They mention it in the episode, but if you get a chance, check out the behind the scenes stuff. I'm sure it's on Youtube somewhere. Just absolutely insane stuff they did to make it all seem real.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I kinda wish Eric would go back to unhinged gleep glossary. All this lore about characters I've never heard of read mostly straight is pretty boring. Having his wife "well actually" every point on this last episode was particularly grating. Maybe I'm just grumpy :(

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Arson Daily posted:

I kinda wish Eric would go back to unhinged gleep glossary. All this lore about characters I've never heard of read mostly straight is pretty boring. Having his wife "well actually" every point on this last episode was particularly grating. Maybe I'm just grumpy :(

It’s you

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Nothing will beat the episode about the cantina werewolf

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
One thing I really enjoy about WHM compared to other bad movie podcasts is that the guys tend to pay attention to what they're watching for the show (tall glasses of water notwithstanding) and if they miss something, one of the other guys will usually correct them.

I remember HDTGM being particularly bad about this sort of thing once they realized it was popular and made episodes a frustrating listen.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, it's a good recap podcast that will give you a full in depth analysis of the whole movie besides the riffing and voices.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I agree with the WHM crew about movies way more than the other movie podcast I listen to, Blank Check. And they're more directly connected to the industry but their views are often just bizarre. Ask me for specifics and I'll have none to give you, just something I've noticed over the years.

Oh wait, I remember one. Both of the Blank Check guys thought Brad Pitt's performance at the end of Se7en during "that scene" was amazing. Imo, I see what he was going for but he really didn't hit the mark and even on my first viewing in the theater it felt really substandard. Pretty sure the WHM guys have said the same.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Arson Daily posted:

Some of us have been Well-actually'ing this whole time. I am one of the "'THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S PRONOUNCED" people that Eric hates.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

And that’s how you get generative AI saying Elan Sleezebaggano.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I hope the whm guys are aware of the Neil Cicierega mashup of that meco song they played at the end of the thrawn episode. It bridges The Nexus to The Gleep Glossary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvhC5_PrHko

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Kneecaps posted:

Some of us have been Well-actually'ing this whole time. I am one of the "'THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S PRONOUNCED" people that Eric hates.

Stop the tweets! I know Eric has some kind of reading disability and that's not funny but him mispronouncing Star Wars stuff and knowing peoples heads are exploding is VERY funny

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm a lapsed-EU type and I just give it to him every time because I know that if you put me on the spot and went "read this" with over half of those names I'd gently caress it up trying to take a word I'd read but never spoken dozens of times into audio.

Hell, I always classified old Elan as "sleaze-buh-gunno"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Jose Oquendo posted:

They mention it in the episode, but if you get a chance, check out the behind the scenes stuff. I'm sure it's on Youtube somewhere. Just absolutely insane stuff they did to make it all seem real.

https://youtu.be/sJ1cf00rq1w?si=gB5vADwOZVYX7XPE

This is a good, new something about Roger rabbit

Arson Daily posted:

I kinda wish Eric would go back to unhinged gleep glossary.

I hope some day we get this again. It's so much fun

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SilentChaz posted:

One thing I really enjoy about WHM compared to other bad movie podcasts is that the guys tend to pay attention to what they're watching for the show (tall glasses of water notwithstanding) and if they miss something, one of the other guys will usually correct them.

I remember HDTGM being particularly bad about this sort of thing once they realized it was popular and made episodes a frustrating listen.

Since someone mentioned Flophouse, that was why I fell off of it. Not sure if it was just a bad run of episodes since it was a while ago, but at least one of the host's kept mentioning how he didn't really have time for movies anymore so he tended to watch them in small chunks on an iPad washing the dishes. And it wasn't a bit, since he basically had nothing to say or add and it made the whole show just drag. Really felt like the passion was gone and they should just end it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Where did Royal vs Rotten Rid come from? I was very confused for a minute.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Quick check of the episode list

Episode 583 - Alien 2021-12-15
Episode 643 - Hannibal 2022-11-17

I would assume that in miscellaneous episodes or in mailbag/green rooms prior to December 2021 they coined Rotten Rid and it recurred a few times casually. Then when they did Alien that's probably when they had to say Royal Rid since it was a good movie, and once they hit Hannibal it firmly established the dichotomy existed.

Edit: for anyone who isn't on the Patreon (or is but missed this) and likes charts and graphs like I do, this Google doc has a bunch of cool statistics in general about everything they've ever put out.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Arson Daily posted:

I know Eric has some kind of reading disability and that's not funny

Ah gently caress I didn't know that and now I feel bad.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Kneecaps posted:

Ah gently caress I didn't know that and now I feel bad.

It’s ok to have a learning disability.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

petition to have the robot voice saying the correct name of gleep glops to be replaced with eric’s wife saying it

she was great for that episode, it was fun being able to tell how much she loves the old books

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

December Dispatch:

Episode 711 –Die Hard 2

Episode 712 – Silent Night, Deadly Night

Episode 713– Love Actually

Episode 714 – Fred Claus

Patreon Episodes:

We Hate Movies – Lethal Weapon

Animation Damnation: Doug: “Doug’s Christmas Story (s4, e10)

The Nexus: TOS: “Requiem for Methuselah” (s3, e19), TNG: “Suddenly Human” (s4, e4)

Gleep Glossary: Star Wars Holiday Special: Redux

MelR0210: 90210“Song of Myself” (s3, e7), Melrose Place: “With this Ball and Chain” (s2, e22)

Once in a Lifetime: A Very Nutty Christmas

4th Quarter Syncable Commentary: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
gently caress YES
Love Actually will be incredible and that Doug special where the town tries to get Porkchop executed is insane

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lethal Weapon WLM is great so far, I was laughing hard at the credit score bit.

"Now what do we make the upper limit of this scale, a thousand? No, let's make it stupider, eight hundred!"

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

god I have been wanting a love actually episode for ages, this is great news. they’re going to have a lot of fun with it

also if you didn’t listen to yesterday’s mailbag you need to, the story of Hunga Games is one of the best they’ve ever read

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How many WHM impression standards are we getting with that movie? 4? 5?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They seemed to be in playing die hard 2 up like it's a bad movie, but it's not, it's good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bip Roberts posted:

They seemed to be in playing die hard 2 up like it's a bad movie, but it's not, it's good.
It's Renny Harlin's only good movie, but it's still not as good as the first.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Rageaholic posted:

It's Renny Harlin's only good movie, but it's still not as good as the first.

The Long Kiss Goodnight would like a word.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

god I have been wanting a love actually episode for ages, this is great news. they’re going to have a lot of fun with it

also if you didn’t listen to yesterday’s mailbag you need to, the story of Hunga Games is one of the best they’ve ever read

Hunga Game is a great companion story to Too Much Long John Silver's

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Die Hard 2 has the problem of being stuck between two significantly better Dies Hards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

weekly font posted:

Die Hard 2 has the problem of being stuck between two significantly better Dies Hards

Yeah it's definitely weaker, and it's very clear that it was just a script that got Bruce attached and Die Hardified. It's probably better overall than a hypothetical 1990 movie "Airport Crisis" staring Westley Snipes would probably be. But a stand alone would be remembered as a great action film, not a weirdish sequel. Passenger 57 could then be a straight sequel.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 2, 2023