Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of games that are great on the Deck, Aliens: Dark Descent plays great. There are warnings about small text but frankly it only really applies to the dumb loading screen tips.

It defaults to low graphics, but I'm getting a solid 38-40 fps on medium. If you have it, jack the AA up to high, it helps a lot with textures that have a lot of parallel lines, like corrugated steel, and with no perceptible frame rate hit. The only place I've noticed hitches is a few menus in the base can get down into the mid 20s for some reason, but they're menus so you basically don't really notice that much.

Game is pretty sweet to boot. Also good for 15 minute chunks if that's what you've got. All in all just a great Deck game.

I've been playing Colonial Marines and it's pretty fun, no one to play it with though.

If you like the franchise give it a shot. Make sure to fix the xeno's ai. A goon showed me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe try one of those USB-C headphone adapters? I'm sure some of them have decent DACs.

I used one on my LCD deck and it worked perfectly again though it sucks to lose the charging port.

Deck 2 better have 2 usb c ports

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

Starfield play time has also cratered in general. Averaging around 18k players at the moment, which isn't terrible but also isn't great. Witcher 3, for example, is bouncing between 12k and 20k

Starfield is probably getting a decent amount of its usage via Game Pass but lol forever at Microsoft publishing those numbers.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of games that are great on the Deck, Aliens: Dark Descent plays great. There are warnings about small text but frankly it only really applies to the dumb loading screen tips.

It defaults to low graphics, but I'm getting a solid 38-40 fps on medium. If you have it, jack the AA up to high, it helps a lot with textures that have a lot of parallel lines, like corrugated steel, and with no perceptible frame rate hit. The only place I've noticed hitches is a few menus in the base can get down into the mid 20s for some reason, but they're menus so you basically don't really notice that much.

Game is pretty sweet to boot. Also good for 15 minute chunks if that's what you've got. All in all just a great Deck game.

Alien Isolation lays great, ran around on the OLED and seemed to be pegged at 90fps. Give it a shot if you are a fan of making GBS threads your pants

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Yeah the usb-c dongle thing works on the OLED once you tweak the bios, no buzzing audio on any headphones, but losing the charging port is unfortunate enough that I'll probably just bring different headphones on the road.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MarcusSA posted:

I used one on my LCD deck and it worked perfectly again though it sucks to lose the charging port.

Why, though? The OG Deck didn't have audio issues on its 3.5mm jack from my own usage nor have I heard otherwise since its been around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Subjunctive posted:

Starfield is probably getting a decent amount of its usage via Game Pass but lol forever at Microsoft publishing those numbers.

Sure, but even if the absolute number of players on GP are much higher than steam, it’s the percentage drop off that tells the tale.

Somehow I doubt people playing it for “free” are more likely to stick around in the face of a mediocre experience than people who have $70 worth of sunk cost.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Super No Vacancy posted:

going back to cyberpunk after playing like four hours of starfield was shocking tbh

any rules of thumb for pcsx2 or just leave it as emudeck configured it

What Emudeck sets is good, though I have mine set to 1X render because I want emulation as close to actual hardware as I can get. That’s me though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but even if the absolute number of players on GP are much higher than steam, it’s the percentage drop off that tells the tale.

Yeah I meant more with respect to comparing its numbers to Witcher 3, which to my knowledge is virtually all on Steam.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
Is there a really user friendly guide for someone who wants to play older PC games or games from GoG on the steam deck? Like I hear all these terms and I have no loving clue. I was tempted to try Arcanum on steam deck but I heard desktop mode and proton layers and copying and pasting in linux, over my head now a days.

edit: sorry should have read the OP.

Pooperscooper fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 1, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pooperscooper posted:

Is there a really user friendly guide for someone who wants to play older PC games or games from GoG on the steam deck? Like I hear all these terms and I have no loving clue. I was tempted to try Arcanum on steam deck but I heard desktop mode and proton layers and copying and pasting in linux, over my head now a days.

Sure. Do you know how to use desktop mode? If you do, it’s relatively straightforward.

You need to install a thing called Lutris from the App Store (I think it’s called the Discover Store?) in desktop mode.

Then you log in to your GOG account in desktop mode chrome, go to your game and download the installer like if you were playing it on windows.

Then you open up Lutris (it’s in your start menu, then inside games) and click Add a Game, it might be a plus symbol.

Click that and there should be an option to Install Windows Game from Installer or something similar.
Type in the name of your game, click next, then click next again on the screen that shows the install path, just leave that as is.

Next there’ll be a screen where you select the installer of the game from GOG you just downloaded. Find that, should be in downloads, then click next.

Lutris will then install the game as if it’s running on windows. After it installs, you’ll see a new screen in Lutris with an icon for your game. Right click and select “add shortcut to steam”

Go back to game mode and your GOG game should be in Non Steam games.

Most games I’ve tried have worked out of the box for this.

If you’ve any questions just DM me

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tears of the Kingdom Optimizer has Steam Deck support. On Windows this thing configures Yuzu or Ryujinx for you, and downloads+installs mods to make the game perform or look better. You don't need to mess with SMT (Shin Megami Tensei) or power tools anymore either.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I meant more with respect to comparing its numbers to Witcher 3, which to my knowledge is virtually all on Steam.

True, point to that.

Still, gonna give a little bit of a lmao to a game from Obama's second term out performing the latest Gamebryo clusterfuck.

edit: I say this as someone who made the conscious decision to buy Starfield - at loving launch - on Steam. Because A) I was in the mood for a new bethedsa open world mess and B) I figured the modding community would make it worth owning on something more open than XBGP eventually and I might as well avoid buying it again in the future.

LMAO at my dumb rear end on both counts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: I say this as someone who made the conscious decision to buy Starfield - at loving launch - on Steam. Because A) I was in the mood for a new bethedsa open world mess and B) I figured the modding community would make it worth owning on something more open than XBGP eventually and I might as well avoid buying it again in the future.

yeah, same; shameful

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been playing Cyberpunk on my OLED. Still can't quite believe how good and smooth it all is. I'm guessing CDPR put the work in to get this Steam Deck graphics preset all set up? I've just left it on default settings and it manages to keep a locked 30 almost all of the time. On my PC I can't deal with 30 frames but somehow it seems completely fine here.

Are there many other games with Steam Deck presets like this? It owns

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Saoshyant posted:

Why, though? The OG Deck didn't have audio issues on its 3.5mm jack from my own usage nor have I heard otherwise since its been around.

I had it, but only when charging. The OLED Deck has nothing and the ER2XR IEMs I use are pretty low impedance.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sure. Do you know how to use desktop mode? If you do, it’s relatively straightforward.

You need to install a thing called Lutris from the App Store (I think it’s called the Discover Store?) in desktop mode.

Then you log in to your GOG account in desktop mode chrome, go to your game and download the installer like if you were playing it on windows.

Then you open up Lutris (it’s in your start menu, then inside games) and click Add a Game, it might be a plus symbol.

Click that and there should be an option to Install Windows Game from Installer or something similar.
Type in the name of your game, click next, then click next again on the screen that shows the install path, just leave that as is.

Next there’ll be a screen where you select the installer of the game from GOG you just downloaded. Find that, should be in downloads, then click next.

Lutris will then install the game as if it’s running on windows. After it installs, you’ll see a new screen in Lutris with an icon for your game. Right click and select “add shortcut to steam”

Go back to game mode and your GOG game should be in Non Steam games.

Most games I’ve tried have worked out of the box for this.

If you’ve any questions just DM me

I’m doing it now and it’s pretty cool, I haven’t used Desktop mode before. If I want install user made patches do I do I just look them over the directory then do some shortcut thing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pooperscooper posted:

I’m doing it now and it’s pretty cool, I haven’t used Desktop mode before. If I want install user made patches do I do I just look them over the directory then do some shortcut thing?

I’ve no idea about that sort of thing, that’s potentially one of those situations where you’ll need to install the files on windows and then copy them over to the appropriate folders on the deck.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pooperscooper posted:

That'll depend on the specific mod. If it's just a matter of extracting some files, you can probably just dump 'em in there. If you have to run some kind of patcher, then the "Run EXE inside Wine prefix" option can come in handy. It'll let you run other random programs within the little environment you already made for that game.

It's also good for when there's like a separate configurator to set up game options.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bardeh posted:

Are there many other games with Steam Deck presets like this? It owns

The only other one I’ve seen myself is Witcher 3, which is meant to run at 40 I think.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Fallout New Vegas is the main reason I bought my Steamdeck and it runs very well. Actually it’s considerably more stable on Proton than it ever was under Windows

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
So I'm at my wits end and want some help.

I use my steam deck has a desktop. I really don't do much intense stuff, mostly browsing and playing games - the most intense being GW2 on all low setting (a game that's over 10 years old!!!)

After hours of use, it will start to stutter into a freeze. I thought it might be overheating, but no - I tweaked the fans, and the last time it crashed it didn't even come close to being hot to the touch as it did before.

I have noticed however that the deck tends to freeze when a browser is called (has happened with opening the Trading Post in GW2 which is a web interface) and when browsing with Firefox. This is a relatively new issue. The only real thing I have done is start using Firefox, but this issue has started happening way after I made the swap.

Does anyone have any loving clue what it could be. I feel like if it was my jsaux dock, the issue would've manifested way earlier. I haven't tried to reset the deck yet - I'd like to avoid that - and the deck freezes before I can pull up any diagnostic tool.

I'm truly at a loss, and I feel like if it was defective, issues would've cropped up way earlier than like a year after purchase...

Anyone got any idea what the gently caress could be happening?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I have absolutely no specific insights but that sounds like a memory leak of some kind

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of Bethesda, is Skyrim easy enough to mod on Deck?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got my OLED Deck and it feels awesome, kinda glad I waited for this model before realizing I wanted one

Now I just need to find some free wi-fi nearby with download speeds less lovely than my apartment's and I'll be set

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of Bethesda, is Skyrim easy enough to mod on Deck?
Yes, though unless something’s changed you want to put those mod-heavy games on the internal drive, due to the differing ways files are structured on expansion media. Also manual mod installation works like it always has but the all-in-one Wabbajack-style packages are more tricky than their Windows counterparts.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Reoxygenation posted:

I have noticed however that the deck tends to freeze when a browser is called (has happened with opening the Trading Post in GW2 which is a web interface) and when browsing with Firefox. This is a relatively new issue. The only real thing I have done is start using Firefox, but this issue has started happening way after I made the swap.

This is reaching but it could be intermittent DNS lookup issues, so try setting your DNS server to Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 or Google's 8.8.8.8 to bypass your ISP defaults? Either on your router's DHCP server or on the Deck itself.

Using Firefox with desktop mode myself and have never seen a freeze yet, not that what you're describing sounds like a common occurrence.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm.. Apparently having a moment and can't think of how to properly google this, but I'm signing my two sons up for steam accounts today, and my wife and I already use the Steam authenticator function for 2FA for our steam accounts. What are my options for my sons' accounts to have any sort of extra protection for their account security?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm.. Apparently having a moment and can't think of how to properly google this, but I'm signing my two sons up for steam accounts today, and my wife and I already use the Steam authenticator function for 2FA for our steam accounts. What are my options for my sons' accounts to have any sort of extra protection for their account security?

Can't you make like sub-accounts under your own account? Is that what family sharing is?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Steam forces email based 2fa if you don’t set up the app, but they don’t offer any of the standard MFA token stuff that you could add in to a third party app afaik. It’s either Steam guard or email.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can extract keys and get the steam guard code generation working on some 3rd-party authenticators, but it’s a bit clumsy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vegastar posted:

Steam forces email based 2fa if you don’t set up the app, but they don’t offer any of the standard MFA token stuff that you could add in to a third party app afaik. It’s either Steam guard or email.

Email is likely the way I'll do it then.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can also set it up with the open source desktop authenticator (which I’m sure can run on the Deck, but with unknown effort)

https://github.com/Jessecar96/SteamDesktopAuthenticator

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Reoxygenation posted:

Anyone got any idea what the gently caress could be happening?

I had issues with my LCD deck freezing as well and it was due to a faulty power module as seen on this reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/s/xIT0ntYZOu

To test for it you can wait for a freeze then after rebooting, open up Konsole in desktop mode and type sudo dmesg
(You can also try journalctl -g ERROR)

If you see an error like the following with the gpu resetting and "ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout" you probably need to RMA it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

This is the only error I can find with sudo dmesg :

With the journal command I can find errors, but they mostly seem to be about a crash which is related to gw2 I believe (the game crashes when I close it), DXVAVDA fatal error, couple of things too I guess :

Hours don't seem to match though...

I installed CryoUtilities and ran that, and changed my DNS lookup, hopefully it won't crash today...

e: forgot to add, this is a unit that was a preorder from the initial launch period, and I haven't had this issue for very long (couple of weeks)

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 2, 2023

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Anyone have a recommended controller set-up for Darkest Dungeon 2? I remember reading a while back that one of the recent updates made the game easier to play on the Deck so I've been itching to give it a shot but seems like there are a lot of options to choose from in the community-sourced database.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Reoxygenation posted:

This is the only error I can find with sudo dmesg :

The ina2xx errors seem to be for a chip monitoring power. That it can't be reached over its I2C interface doesn't seem good but may also be benign, especially if those messages don't align with your freezes - do they?

quote:

The INA219 is a high-side current shunt and power monitor with an I2C interface. The INA219 monitors both shunt drop and supply voltage, with programmable conversion times and filtering.

E: Now that I'm looking at those errors on a proper screen and not my phone, I wouldn't be worried. That's part of your boot sequence from the timestamps, not post-boot gameplay.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 2, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'll try to monitor if it lines up - I didn't exactly keep a log of when the crashes happened, the last one happening at about 2 in the morning - but assuming the worst I guess it'll be RMA time...

Still gave the DNS thing a try and I used CryoUtilities, and at about the same amount of time with the deck turned on (5-6 hours) when crashes occur it hasn't crashed yet, so feeling hopeful... ! The plus side of this all is that with all the tweaks I did the Steam deck now hovers at much cooler temperature and seems to work better overall. So there's that...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Compare the system logs to somebody with a Steam Deck that behaves normally.

The issue happening in both the Steam Overlay web browser (which is embedded Chromium and doesn't really run for long periods of time) and in Firefox (which isn't Chromium, and the kind of thing that you use for prolonged periods of time long enough for errors to accumulate) is weird, and makes networking problems the leading suspect since that kind of shared problem that could effect both of them. The interesting thing would be to make a note of the exact time that you experience the stuttering and then looking at what's in the system logs leading up to that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I guess I should add that this happens in desktop mode. I'll make an actual note of a time of crash (if it happens again!!) and look at the system logs afterwards.