Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1730718807314833620

And now San Diego's talking to Toronto.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
And yet LA currently has LeBron but is unfairly also trying to get Shohei.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Shiroc posted:

Maybe Shohei is a really huge fan of Sailor Moon and finds out that the new official localization of セーラー戦士 is Sailor Guardian so he signs with Cleveland for 1/100th of his value.
Give Shohei a 25% stake in the team and enshrine him in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I hope Ohtani just goes back to the Angels

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Get back to me when the guy wins a team award. If he and Mike Trout were that good, those two and 24 jabronies should have been able to back into a number 6 seed for the playoffs at least once.

Skip Bayless account spotted

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Ohtani joins the Dallas Cowboys

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Pulls a reverse Jordan and joins a NBA D-League team.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lots of people discounting the possibility of Ohtani joining MYSTERY TEAM

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ohtani to the DBacks

To be serious, I think it's either the Giants or Dodgers and more likely the Giants

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Lol at the Padres trying to act like them getting Alek Manoah back for Soto is any kind of a good thing and not just a leverage play

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Lol at the Padres trying to act like them getting Alek Manoah back for Soto is any kind of a good thing and not just a leverage play

Lol at the Yankees making Michael King a dealbreaker.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bawfuls posted:

I have found the shittiest Ohtani take (baseball writer category)

https://twitter.com/Travis_Sawchik/status/1730634266743025795

No this is correct.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Jays getting Ohtani and Soto.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Patrick Spens posted:

No this is correct.

No, it's not. You know what league never seems to have this issue? The NBA. Unlike MLB and the NHL, the NBA never seems to be making GBS threads its pants whenever the top two teams are playing in the Pacific/Mountain time zones. The NBA is the best run league in the US by far and it's because of this that they don't need to couch their revenue projections in hoping that top players sign with the NBA equivalent of the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox.

The best shooter in the world ended up on the shittiest team in the NBA in the 2010 season and the league adapted.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

I like King a lot but you make this trade imo. Getting homefield advantage for Soto’s free agency is worth a probably number 3 dude when healthy and a bunch of dudes that won’t combine for Soto’s career WAR. This is predicated on the idea that Hal is gonna go gently caress goons and write a $300MM+ check in 2025.

Trade’s gotta hurt for both sides to be a good trade.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That is not at all an outrageous ask by SD there. The Yankees' farm system is pretty weak right now so if they can get another huge bat into that lineup you absolutely do it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

No, it's not. You know what league never seems to have this issue? The NBA. Unlike MLB and the NHL, the NBA never seems to be making GBS threads its pants whenever the top two teams are playing in the Pacific/Mountain time zones. The NBA is the best run league in the US by far and it's because of this that they don't need to couch their revenue projections in hoping that top players sign with the NBA equivalent of the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox.

The best shooter in the world ended up on the shittiest team in the NBA in the 2010 season and the league adapted.
It's no coincidence that the players seem to have the most power in the NBA relative to the other big four in the US

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

He'd have to accept the trade and he's not going to a bad team.

Jim Bowden had an article today about trades he wants to see at the winter meetings, and said he thinks the Reds are one starting pitcher away from being World Series contenders. :laffo:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The only worse baseball reporter at this point is Bob

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wasn't Bowden a notoriously awful GM?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Why else would he be on TV?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

Wasn't Bowden a notoriously awful GM?

He was a moron (and so bad at broadcasting that his ESPN and ESPN Radio career lasted for about a month), and I have no idea why The Athletic / NYT gives him a paycheck every two weeks.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Timby posted:

He was a moron (and so bad at broadcasting that his ESPN and ESPN Radio career lasted for about a month), and I have no idea why The Athletic / NYT gives him a paycheck every two weeks.
He gets a ton of hate-clicks and engagement is engagement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

secular woods sex posted:

He gets a ton of hate-clicks and engagement is engagement.

I just remember him quietly resigning from the Nationals after he got caught up in a sting investigating the skimming of Latin American players' signing bonuses.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Please.

Please make it stop.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
At least with that Reds take you can see it. Their rotation was in shambles and basically either injured or ineffective other than like Abbot, yet somehow they still finished above .500. They got an amazing young lineup, although I would be concerned about some second year regression since they all came out on fire. If they actually improve on their second year it’s a great offense. If the rotation didn’t crumble late in the second half they could have easily been in the playoffs last year. So it is not outlandish for them to be in the post season especially with a real starting pitcher, but obviously saying World Series is just to grab headlines.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Keep hearing the Jays mentioned in the same breath as the Dodgers for Ohtani and I just don’t get it. I would be absolutely thrilled of course but i just don’t see it happening

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mariners fans remaining hopeful even though they just dumped Geno for a miniscule relief in payroll is the one that seems like self harm

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

zoux posted:

NPB is in trouble, and I think Shohei is going to return there to shepherd the game he loves through these dark times

This was a really hosed up story.

They had professional players doing naked handstands with socks over their junks while other players harassed them. I hope some criminal charges come out cuz this poo poo is too rampent in Japanese Baseball in all levels.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...agles-teammate/

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 2, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Keep hearing the Jays mentioned in the same breath as the Dodgers for Ohtani and I just don’t get it. I would be absolutely thrilled of course but i just don’t see it happening

The Ohtani rumors and the Soto rumors make it seem like they're ready to go nuts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

Mariners fans remaining hopeful even though they just dumped Geno for a miniscule relief in payroll is the one that seems like self harm

hey man I need something okay?

being a mariners fan is such pain

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

I like King a lot but you make this trade imo. Getting homefield advantage for Soto’s free agency is worth a probably number 3 dude when healthy and a bunch of dudes that won’t combine for Soto’s career WAR. This is predicated on the idea that Hal is gonna go gently caress goons and write a $300MM+ check in 2025.

Trade’s gotta hurt for both sides to be a good trade.

You have no idea what the actual market is for 1 year of Soto.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

It's like buying a lotto ticket. I know they're not signing him, but it's fun to day dream about so until they announce the Dodgers contract...

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

You have no idea what the actual market is for 1 year of Soto.

Neither do you. Would you take that trade regardless of the market?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

Geno was not great last year and the rumors/podcast talk from plugged in folks is that this was the best deal the M's could get for him, and he's done as an above average hitter, he lost a lot of bat speed last year.

Which might be true. It's not a huge leap that Urias/Bliss/Rojas outperform Geno's average bat and Wong's black hole I guess.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Blake Snell seems to really, really want to be a Mariner so you have that

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Excited for when Gonzales gets called up for the Yankees and somehow rakes because Cleveland loves dumping talent after one season.

This poo poo sucks man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monathin posted:

Excited for when Gonzales gets called up for the Yankees and somehow rakes because Cleveland loves dumping talent after one season.

This poo poo sucks man.

The Yankees aren't the team to turn a guy around offensively, so I wouldn't worry too much.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Blake Snell going home to post three middling seasons before getting Cy Young #3 just seems right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Dodgers are bringing back Joe Kelly, fire up the .gif