Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I did it! I finally finished my Bombast conversion, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, there are a couple major mistakes I made early on that I should have fixed, but didn't. I can live with that. The paintjob has got to be my all time best. I'm sure I could improve a lot more, but if I can paint the rest of the army at this quality I'll be very pleased. The pace is very slow though, but I know that will improve drastically as I go on. I'm much happier with the weathering/chipping on this, it feels much more in scale with the model than the basilisk I did.

There is so little ordnance battery kit in there I should have just bought a sprue on ebay. I'm also converting the rocket launcher though so it isn't too bad. That one is built, but not painted, I kept the conversion much simpler. I'll likely buy a sprue and make a second bombast for 40k, this turned out too good to just relegate to combat patrol only.

What first drew me to the Vostroyans was the striking Streltsy/Cossack in space aesthetic. The Bombast just doesn't match that at all, it would look far more at home on a FOB in Vietnam. I'm almost 100% sure the designer was looking at a M1 155mm Howitzer.

I wanted to keep the base gun itself, as those would be standard parts used across the imperium, but get as much else as I can to align with the Cossack aesthetics. The best place to go was late tsarist artillery, which led me to looking at details on the following gun.

I took everything off the bombast gun that looked out of place, got it up on new wheels, and (poorly) cut plasticard for the gun shield. The officer directing the crew is a major conversion itself, and the loader got his mortar turned into a shell. The guy on the ground is arming shells, because I didn't feel like converting him and I think he looks great as is. Plus, I rebored the barrel so it matched the diameter of shell supplied. I get that this is 40k, but c'mon, why doesn't the shell in the kit match the bore size of the gun? I like to keep my bases as minimalist as possible, so a single discarded shell casing must do all the work of implying action.

Ok, time to touch up the base rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Your bombast conversion is really awesome, I'm excited to see your whole army when you get it done.

Also this face is just excellent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

Your bombast conversion is really awesome, I'm excited to see your whole army when you get it done.

Also this face is just excellent.

I'm so glad you clipped that, it caught my eye too and I was asking if I found a new av.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AndyElusive posted:

How's the VMC gold paint? I'm kind of getting sick of Retributor Armors bullshit.

It's very Yellow-Green so you often have to mix some ratio of Metal Color Copper to get a colour closer to what you think of as Gold.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf-D6dCMhM4

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

AndyElusive posted:

How's the VMC gold paint? I'm kind of getting sick of Retributor Armors bullshit.

From the bottle, not great. Mixed with a bit of gold pigment and a touch of sepia ink? Phenomenal.

I'm relatively certain nobody at GW has ever seen an artillery piece, just like they've only had a tank described to them by a trio of blind men.

Have you looked at some of the smaller gun kits in 1/35th? I'm thinking WWI-era stuff in 1/35th is probably in-scale with modern GW sculpts for the big chunky aesthetic they go for.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I used a 1/35 tamiya flak 88 kit on my Basilisk because I just cannot stand the quality of the gun on the basilisk. I really enjoy the challenge of converting something to look more Vostroyan, while maintaining a degree of faithfulness to the actual gw kit. Otherwise, I agree that an actual tsarist howitzer would look way better.

edit:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
VR you always post the coolest stuff I love their big hats over their masks and putting your kitbashed commander in there is chefs kiss good

I love the tobacco smoke looking browning at the bottom

Edit: that tank is so cool???

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 2, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

thanks, I think the 88 really fit on there well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's surprisingly relaxing when you don't give a poo poo about how something looks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Anyway, I can't get the contrast paints to do a consist coat which makes all the dry brush shading seem pointless.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
That looks killer, that's a great looking don't give a poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m planning on doing some Pallid Hand Death Guard and am loath to buy another green for their shoulder pads, which most guides suggest Loren Forest for.

I have the following greens- which can I mix up to make a close approximation for the HH green they use?

Caliban
Moot
Warboss
Waaagh Flesh
Death guard
Nurgling

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

Anyway, I can't get the contrast paints to do a consist coat which makes all the dry brush shading seem pointless.

But your sentinel looks perfectly fine? If you want to re-emphasize the highlights after a contrast layer just re-drybrush. I will usually zenithal -> drybrush -> contrast -> drybrush +/- manual highlight

There are tricks with them. By design most contrasts aren't supposed to give you a perfectly even coat as the unevenness is rhe "contrast" - even if it's less desirable when painting big flat vehicles. You can

1. Use the "flat" contrasts - these don't have much of a contrast effect at all and are essentially deeply pigmented very liquid paint. These are colours like Baal Red, Imperial Fist and Black Legion.

2. Manual handling - you can play with the contrast as it's applied to draw off any pooling to give you a more even coat. You'll need to work quickly and limit how much contrast you apply at any one time - work on one panel at a time.. Duncan, Darcy Bono and Vince Vinturella have all got videos demonstrating this effect to some degree

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So I was looking up great coat colors and I stumbled on something.

lol, spot the differences

https://cracdeschevaliers.blogspot.com/2010/11/painting-british-infantry-part-2.html

And I still have no idea what color to paint the officer's coat in even though it makes up like half the miniature.

edit: Also Cadian tanks are based on British North African campaign, which explains all those Leman Russ desert camo pattern ones.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 2, 2023

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Nota bene re vallejo metal colour, those paints are brush terminators. You might as well be swishing the thing in razor blades. Use a nice brush at your own peril.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
My Army Painter dry brush set came in and I just have to say, those youtubers make it look so easy. It's a lot harder to figure out exactly how much moisture is needed on the brush, and I don't think it helps when the goat hair brushes retain a massive amount of moisture. I just gave up with adding little bits of water to the brush and went back to pure dry brushing.

Anyways, after 4 shield attempts, I think I'm finally happy with the finish on 2 of them:

The second one is definitely my favorite. The first has 3 different gold colors added, but you can't really tell, which is unfortunate since it took like 30mins of dry brushing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The "texture palette" thing really helps for testing to see if you still have too much paint on the brush or not.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

My Army Painter dry brush set came in and I just have to say, those youtubers make it look so easy. It's a lot harder to figure out exactly how much moisture is needed on the brush, and I don't think it helps when the goat hair brushes retain a massive amount of moisture. I just gave up with adding little bits of water to the brush and went back to pure dry brushing.

Anyways, after 4 shield attempts, I think I'm finally happy with the finish on 2 of them:

The second one is definitely my favorite. The first has 3 different gold colors added, but you can't really tell, which is unfortunate since it took like 30mins of dry brushing.

2 looks great, like old gold

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Lostconfused posted:

The "texture palette" thing really helps for testing to see if you still have too much paint on the brush or not.

I need to make one next week. The main thing I learned through a lot of trial and error is that less is more with dry brushing. That texture palette will be very helpful to know how much I have on the brush.

Professor Shark posted:

2 looks great, like old gold

Thanks!

Now I have to figure out how to match my Saurus Warrior gold pieces with this shield. The models have smaller metal armor all around them. I think I can apply this method to the armor pieces first, and then paint the rest of the model, but I imagine making a mistake after the armor is already complete will be difficult to correct.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there a drybrushing style that starts with a damp brush? I've never heard of it but curious

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Urethane posted:

Is there a drybrushing style that starts with a damp brush? I've never heard of it but curious

There is something called damp brushing and what the Artist Opus guys do is closer to damp brushing than true dry-brushing. You can use it to build up layers to form gradients as a kind of pseudo-airbrush. Start with a damp brush and go from there. It won't work equally for all colours and it can be quite laborious.

Strictly speaking IMO drybrushing is just to catch the raised details.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Urethane posted:

Byron (the guy who does the Artis Opus drybrushing videos) has often mentioned that he thinks people have nowhere near enough moisture in the brush bristles when drybrushing to the point where the Artis Opus drybrush sets all come with a little round dampening pad specifically to help with this.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think he is right about the moisture level though. It is really easy to be applying some drybrushing and having that go well and even look good and accidently get a dusting on things nearby that you did not want any paint on. So a little bit of moisture to prevent that is good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

First time painting a Rhino. Went overboard on the weathering, and I REALLY need to fix the trim on the gunner, but it turned out okay.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Hey man you should probably thin you-

God drat it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

Hey man you should probably thin you-

God drat it.

The close up photo isn't doing it any favours tbh, from arm's length it looks much better. Though I probably should push the shading/blacklining a little more in places.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

i feel like i made a mistake using elmers glue for my basing. the good news is that i have a lot of it

it's super useful stuff. PVA glue has a ton of uses, and over time you'll find a bunch of cool things you can do with it

Virtual Russian posted:

[snipped cool-rear end artillery]

i really love this design's mish-mash of design elements. it feel like an ad mech creation without being super over the top about it. cyber-cossacks manning a WW2 artillery piece with solid wheels and a gigantic blast shield, it's just altogether great.

boring nerd trivia: the bombast gun is based directly on the M2/M101 howitzer, the successor to the one you posted. the single round pneumatic cylinder on top, the odd shape of the blast shield, and the fat rubber tires are all distinctive.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

First time painting a Rhino. Went overboard on the weathering, and I REALLY need to fix the trim on the gunner, but it turned out okay.

this came out amazing and also i hate you lmao

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Deathwatch Terminator Captain of the Imperial Fists:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Crosspost from the Battletech thread

Count Thrashula posted:

Finished up a Steiner lance and Kurita lance today. I think they're both about as thematic as each house can get.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Back in competition painting mode. Spending hours and hours on a single part of a model is very therapeutic.

Also got an early Christmas present. Heard a lot about this book, and even a quick browse makes me think it should be in the hands of anyone interested in mini painting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Deathwatch Terminator Captain of the Imperial Fists:

Jesus loving christ dude (in a good way, this looks amazing).

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Radiation Cow posted:

Also got an early Christmas present. Heard a lot about this book, and even a quick browse makes me think it should be in the hands of anyone interested in mini painting.

I got that years ago for non-mini painting and can confirm: it's an amazing resource.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

"Creator of Dinotopia" is really funny to me to put on the cover of a book like that. I say this as a creator of nothing.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A buddy of mine who is a huge Iron Maiden fan has had a crap-tacular year. So when I saw the Kickstarter for minis based on Iron Maiden album cover art, I knew what I had to do. I'm pretty happy with them, but mostly the freehand behind the Seventh Son (of the Seventh Son) showing us his entrails.

I think figuring out how to ship them 1,000 miles without them arriving in many, many pieces is going to be harder than painting them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The close up photo isn't doing it any favours tbh, from arm's length it looks much better. Though I probably should push the shading/blacklining a little more in places.

The problem you have is that's a World Eaters rhino without any blood on it.

It is very pretty regardless.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

The problem you have is that's a World Eaters rhino without any blood on it.

It is very pretty regardless.

There's blood on the ram! (and a little on the front)

These own :black101:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

AndyElusive posted:

Deathwatch Terminator Captain of the Imperial Fists

I love the color you have in the black armor.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Radiation Cow posted:

Oh hey this is by the guy on YouTube that paints outside and gives little gouache lessons. He's very adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

2023 thread award for best use of a spoiler