Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
state church lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
America has state churches too, only difference is you can get a big Mac at ours

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

lol you should have kept that job instead of going to college

I considered it, but the postal service was dying then and even more so now, and because I don't live in the shithole country that is USA, I am student debt free, overpaid and even own a home. Going to college was a ridiculously good deal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

America has state churches too, only difference is you can fire a gun at a picture of a big Mac at ours

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Almost all the mopping I did at different jobs either had to be done RIGHT THEN or was the absolute last thing that had to be done at the end of a long tiring day before going home. If you've got time and space to mop, and the floor isn't that dirty, and you're not utterly exhausted, yeah, mopping can be very zen.

I loved mopping in the military for just this reason. the only downside was every rear end in a top hat who will give you their opinion about the best way to do it.

the real zen therefore comes not with mopping where you can hear those assholes but with running the buffer. As a bonus you can see a beautiful shine at the end but really it’s that you look busy and it’s too loud for people to interrupt. in hindsight, I would have signed a four year enlistment to just mop wax and buff floors and then collect the GI bill afterward.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's weird to me that that hasn't been completely outsourced to some custodial company belonging to some congressman's kid or whatever

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Proust Malone posted:

I loved mopping in the military for just this reason. the only downside was every rear end in a top hat who will give you their opinion about the best way to do it.
Gotta wring the mop out in a toilet or sink, so you don't pollute the pure and beautiful mop water in the rolly bucket thing.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

It's weird to me that that hasn't been completely outsourced to some custodial company belonging to some congressman's kid or whatever

Yeah, especially given how stupid enlisted people are (full offense to Proust Malone) I'm amazed they let them buff floors

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tokin opposition posted:

America has state churches too, only difference is you can get a big Mac at ours

Gas stations as churches, holy fuel forever spilled - Swervedriver

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

They used to, but the company in question was just The Philippines.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah, especially given how stupid enlisted people are (full offense to Proust Malone) I'm amazed they let them buff floors

https://youtu.be/t5uTuaiplJE?si=aRnCei0RVZFNTKAf

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tokin opposition posted:

lets be fair though, it's not like officers are any better

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

Wow, classism

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArmedZombie posted:

state church lol

Well, de iure it stopped being a state church in 1870 but de facto you wouldn't really know the difference.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
:downs:
https://twitter.com/moseskagan/status/1730578997460025849?t=P8wcoiknlQZ98sAI7g6KvA&s=19

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I work in pretty skilled stagecraft, but when the show is over, struck, and loaded out, you can be sure as poo poo that all of us, even our local union-loving-president, are ready with a broom or a mop so we can all go the hell home.

It's not that mopping is specifically the litmus test, but the willingness to do the shittiest work your colleagues also have to do, so that it can be less lovely for everyone, can be. I guess it helps that I work for a union and not directly for a for-profit company.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mushika posted:

I work in pretty skilled stagecraft, but when the show is over, struck, and loaded out, you can be sure as poo poo that all of us, even our local union-loving-president, are ready with a broom or a mop so we can all go the hell home.

It's not that mopping is specifically the litmus test, but the willingness to do the shittiest work your colleagues also have to do, so that it can be less lovely for everyone, can be. I guess it helps that I work for a union and not directly for a for-profit company.

what happens if a manager wants to help out so she can go home, and grabs a mop?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

what happens if a manager wants to help out so she can go home, and grabs a mop?

That actually happens a lot because several of the Technical Directors and Theater Managers we work for are union plants. :ssh:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mushika posted:

having worked my way up to chef from dish, it occurred to me at some point "im never really better than the dishwasher, nor should i feel i am"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Tell me you have a fake job without etc etc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Animal-Mother posted:

having worked my way up to chef from dish, it occurred to me at some point "im never really better than the dishwasher, nor should i feel i am"

Long ago coming to a realization that i should never feel myself better than someone who provides me drugs

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Long ago coming to a realization that i should never feel myself better than someone who provides me drugs

https://media.giphy.com/media/XreQmk7ETCak0/giphy.gif

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I literally cannot imagine having customers that don't come with their own set of far more important-to-them problems that they are already screaming at you about before you can "offer" to fix anything you think needs fixing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

not sure if sarcastic but i think it;s a good mantra

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Just use your dads connections to get your same-as-everything-else slop on a major retailers shelves and course correct from there

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I have this friend of a friend who is a mechanical engineer. His company sent him to India to train the offshoring company how to make some widgets. Some things happened and now he has that same company slapping a label on candles they make oem for about 17 other companies that his wife was able to get into retailers using some contacts.

He is now a multimillionaire thanks to telling one company to send stuff to another company.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

so they sell a brand of candles?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if you were from a business family you’d understand

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Shame Boy posted:

I literally cannot imagine having customers that don't come with their own set of far more important-to-them problems that they are already screaming at you about before you can "offer" to fix anything you think needs fixing.

my wife has worked in graphic design, front end development and now works in UX and a common thread is that all their customers have a host of problems they are paying you to solve yet cannot divorce themselves from the fiction of being self-appointed experts in her field.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Far as I could tell this guy is a nepo baby landlord? So clearly a genius whose advice is worth takin.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

is this the guy who proposed the jewish answer to the palestinian question

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

not sure if sarcastic but i think it;s a good mantra

Not sarcastic whatsoever.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

Lawyer. They scream at you the important problems right out of the starting gate and it's your job to do something about it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

That man is destined by God to own an Applebee's and the worst boss ever to a string of teenagers and therefore will radicalize more people to communism than their local DSA

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

LeeMajors posted:

my wife has worked in graphic design, front end development and now works in UX and a common thread is that all their customers have a host of problems they are paying you to solve yet cannot divorce themselves from the fiction of being self-appointed experts in her field.

A lot of managers work the exact same way. Hire someone with specific qualifications, experience and knowledge to do something, then for some idiotic reason try to tell them how to do their job rather than letting them do it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Orange Devil posted:

A lot of managers work the exact same way. Hire someone with specific qualifications, experience and knowledge to do something, then for some idiotic reason try to tell them how to do their job rather than letting them do it.

she works from home and just listening to these boomer middle managers griping about her designs and how she had to defend herself to these loving room temp morons drives me insane.

you hired her company for a reason!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

I used to work at our largest customer and got some very nasty looks from my (then) new bosses when I tried to tell them "Here, the customer is literally literally always wrong, about everything. Never sell them what they ask for". They all learned sooner or later.

(They learned very quickly that I wasn't lying when I said "Everything will get stolen if possible". On the very first day the product manager went for a smoke around the back, and left the door unlocked. Someone went and nicked his chair.)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

LeeMajors posted:

she works from home and just listening to these boomer middle managers griping about her designs and how she had to defend herself to these loving room temp morons drives me insane.

you hired her company for a reason!

God I feel that painfully deeply. I'm in IT and we were doing software installs by hand using a USB key for years and I've had to fight for getting an actual deployment system for a year and a half because we're already stretched thin supporting users; it literally would cost us nothing, but my boss is a. A perfect example of dunning-kruger and B. Refuses to learn anything in computing since 2005 and has decided that if she doesn't understand it I must not either. Since of course she's been ossifying her skill set for decades.

The only real side benefit is that I'm doing the work of a sysadmin every day now and can hopefully put it on my resume to skip a few job titles between what I have and what should have.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Customer service propaganda has poisoned every industry.

I’ve been a 911 medic for almost 15yrs now and the pervasive pressure to provide “exceptional customer service” is hilarious to me considering that our services should basically be reserved for people who are dying.

I’m not saying it’s ok to be a dick, but maybe if you’re super concerned about your medic being friendly to you, you may not be sick enough to call 911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All I know is even if you save me from a-fib after I stroke out while taking a massive poo poo, if you don't call me "Sir" for the entire ambulance ride I'm gonna be hitting that yellow "mildly displeased" button on my way out the door