Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tried it, pretty meh. Production value is nice I guess (though the moment to moment writing is trite). There are some nice details like when you enter a building your soldier has to physically run to upper floors and to different windows instead of teleporting around.

The mission design is terrible. It made Skynet looks like idiot garbage instead of terrifying, when a bunch of nuked human slaughter machines by the dozens. Instead of executing tactics, the demo have you run tedious supply ferrying operation. The game focuses on cheesy action movie cinematic instead of showing you the intricacies and interaction of its systems. A fire fight happens, does flanking do anything? Is cover a thing?

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Unreal_One posted:

That is the most Starcraft-looking-rear end game I've seen in a long time. There's mineral lines, the units have that Starcraft wobble move, there's a supply cap that looks like it goes to 200, active units have a portrait in their stat window. The biggest differences I see are vespene replaced with 2 more kinds of mineral lines, space vs ground terrain, and the power system. Clone might be a stretch, but it is closer to Starcraft than even Age of Empires, and closer to both than anything else in the wider RTS space.
Nah, Purple War is pretty much just Starcraft 2 with a Warcraft skin. All my SC2 instincts kicked in instantly when I tried it out.

Of course, it's also dead now.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

woah, Company of Heroes (1) just got a Switch port? and reviewers are saying it's good?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

pedro0930 posted:

Tried it, pretty meh. Production value is nice I guess (though the moment to moment writing is trite). There are some nice details like when you enter a building your soldier has to physically run to upper floors and to different windows instead of teleporting around.

The mission design is terrible. It made Skynet looks like idiot garbage instead of terrifying, when a bunch of nuked human slaughter machines by the dozens. Instead of executing tactics, the demo have you run tedious supply ferrying operation. The game focuses on cheesy action movie cinematic instead of showing you the intricacies and interaction of its systems. A fire fight happens, does flanking do anything? Is cover a thing?

The real value in the demo is the skirmish mode: you can totally play as the attacking legion side!. You can also infer a lot about what the campaign is going to involve by looking at the various vehicle variations. I can't say that combining customizable vehicles with one shot AT weapons inspires enthusiasm.

And yes flanking works, as does lying prone. Just don't lie prone behind cover.

The campaign bit available is just the tutorial, basically. The only decent mission is the last, and the re-crewing gimmick was annoying. I swear the markers were over the wrong vehicles.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The AoE2DE expansion that leaked like last week went official today, launching the 31st: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2555420/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition__The_Mountain_Royals

New civs are Georgia and Armenia with an update (and new campaign) for Persia.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trying to remember the name of a strategy game I saw. It was a top down RTS (maybe w/ pause)? Your units were mostly squares (counters), but I think you could see like tanks if you zoomed in enough.

The big mechanic of the game was being able to issue a command to a Unit of a certain rank or regiment and have everyone under them also follow that command.

I may be wrong but I believe it had an odd, one word title.

Fairly recent game, def within the last 5 or so years.

I'm sorry if that's vague but it's been driving me nuts.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ashes of the Singularity kind of let you do that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Ashes of the Singularity kind of let you do that.

Ty but thats not it. This was literally like looking at a map with boxes on it. It was def 2D and an indie game.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

trying to remember the name of a strategy game I saw. It was a top down RTS (maybe w/ pause)? Your units were mostly squares (counters), but I think you could see like tanks if you zoomed in enough.

The big mechanic of the game was being able to issue a command to a Unit of a certain rank or regiment and have everyone under them also follow that command.

Regiments? I think if you're zoomed out enough you'll see the unit's NATO counter. A few of the newer formations you can play as have stuff that moves as a group.

Edit: it's also real time with pause

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Waroni?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1444550/Waronoi/

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Are you thinking of Armored Brigade?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This is exactly it!! Tysm!!

And thank you everyone who helped

follow up: anyone played it? any good?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I only messed around with it in SP for a bit a while ago so there might be some stuff I misremembered:
Units are only differentiated by their speed, range, and price. All units has the same firepower (I think all unit has something like a 12% hit chance, if it hit, it's a kill). Infantry squad can kill a tank section, but is out ranged by tanks on open ground. Infantry is also very slow, but very cheap. Artillery has long range, but is very expensive, etc

The unique aspect of the game is that if you kill a higher echelon unit, all its subordinate units die. However, there doesn't seem to be command range...soooo, why wouldn't I just put all my higher echelon unit in the back to avoid losing my lower tier HQ, or making all my higher echelon units artillery or something so it can stay in the back (there's not really any TOE, anything can be a command unit, and you can organize your force structure without any restriction except each unit can only has a certain amount of subordinate units).

I think it might be interesting in FFA, but it has basically no players and I was annoyed by the control scheme so I did not play it further.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the guys who've been maintaining planetary annihilation have announced that they're accepting crowdfunded investors for a new game: https://www.startengine.com/offering/industrialannihilation

seems to be factorio/automation gameplay to build units, then you go play RTS with the units you churn out of your factory

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

say what you will about PA (i liked it) but i always thought it was cool of those guys to see that uberent was a sinking ship and splintering off to keep the servers running for uberent's one game that people actually still played. they've just been quietly keeping the game active all this time and every time i go back to it i'm always shocked by how much of a playerbase it has managed to retain.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

the guys who've been maintaining planetary annihilation have announced that they're accepting crowdfunded investors for a new game: https://www.startengine.com/offering/industrialannihilation

seems to be factorio/automation gameplay to build units, then you go play RTS with the units you churn out of your factory

Reminds me of the second planet campaign in Mindustry that came out last year. You still have the Factory/Tower Defense gameplay but most maps now have an enemy base that needs to be destroyed. I like that style of game, a lot. Gonna keep an eye on this one.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wtf is with game names these days? Waroni? Come on. Was that the sequel to Warghetti or Warvioli, I forget? Oh, no, it was Warvatappi.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chuck_D posted:

Wtf is with game names these days? Waroni? Come on. Was that the sequel to Warghetti or Warvioli, I forget? Oh, no, it was Warvatappi.

Chef Boy-War-Dee

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Chuck_D posted:

Just in case you weren't just seizing the opportunity for a silly joke, it's probably because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So a turn-based world war II game called The troop just released. I've been eyeing it for a while but don't know anyone else who has played it in early access. Any impressions from anyone here? Thanks in advance.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

LordSloth posted:

and the campaign was bad because it switched between factions frequently
Perimeter had a similar issue.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Perimeter was a fun, if bizarre, game. But holy hell was the campaign confusing because of the constant viewpoint switches

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

So a turn-based world war II game called The troop just released. I've been eyeing it for a while but don't know anyone else who has played it in early access. Any impressions from anyone here? Thanks in advance.

It's got a demo. I played it and it was fun. Well put together and fairly intuitive. I just wanted to wait for it to come out of EA before I bought it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Slaan posted:

Perimeter was a fun, if bizarre, game. But holy hell was the campaign confusing because of the constant viewpoint switches

From what little I read, the story itself was also reworked heavily from the original language?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Not so much reworked, more that fairly big chunks of the ingame text was not translated and left out with seemingly no concern for the gaps created. I don't think whoever did it was up to the task of something with this much idiosyncratic sci-fi jargon either.

There's also a decent amount of background info and general outline for the world and factions they seem to assume you've read before playing... but most of it was on their website ("exodist.net" if you want to go look on wayback), was also not translated, and neither were some short stories written for the game. There was someone who translated some of the more important bits ages ago but I've no idea if that's still up anywhere.

It's a real shame, because if you're not thrown in without context I think it's not too difficult to follow what they were trying to do, and it's all quite enjoyable and imaginative even with the translation being dodgy.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Perimeter was the one that turned out to be the prequel to that bug racing rpg, right?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I got it in early access. Haven't tried the new campaigns with the full release yet as I'm deep into Baldurs Gate 3, but I found the EA scenarios fun and I'm looking forward to trying the campaigns when I have the time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The first DLC for that Starship Troopers RTS just came out. I had a good time with that game, hope this is good too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

The first DLC for that Starship Troopers RTS just came out. I had a good time with that game, hope this is good too.

Oh sweet. Is it a new campaign?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh sweet. Is it a new campaign?

Yup, with some new units for both the bugs and the humans.

Also a new story with new characters.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
FYI Men of War 2 open beta from outta loving nowhere: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1128860/Men_of_War_II/

edit: only for this weekend

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Last Train Home is out today, has anyone picked it up and has some early thoughts on it?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arrath posted:

Last Train Home is out today, has anyone picked it up and has some early thoughts on it?

I played the lengthy demo and quite enjoyed it. Minor early advice, don't spend money before Moscow.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Since Total Warhammer 3 is forever dead, I went and managed to get Dark Omen installed, working, and set up for 2560 x 1440 so here it is. It includes a mod that adds a bunch of campaigns and races too, not that I've messed with that stuff at all.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nrxCcBDRcVv5BIJ1V-RZDE3M-cbk7bC1/view?usp=sharing
And for anyone bitching about :filez: I found the game on Archive.org, come at me, Mods.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I finally finished the Starship Troopers DLC. I have mixed feelings on it.

I do like the new units on each side, with a special shout out to the armored bug that shoots fire and goes all kamikaze when it runs out of health and the unit that counters that the melee only exo suit with the self heal. The exo suit is great as its pretty big and has a lot of health so putting it in a chokepoint means the bugs won't get past. The bugs also have 2 new flying units, 1 that has good range and will plink at your guys and a pack of Scourge from Starcraft. There are more human units but I didn't play with them enough to really say much about them.

That brings up the other thing, the new campaign is short. The new maps and missions are fun but when it ended it really felt like there should have been another 2 missions at least with how the story went. I think there is 5 or 6 missions in this campaign and at no point are you able to play with all the new units on a map. Hell, 2 units don't get unlocked until you are almost done with the last mission.

I do like the simple story. Its about a corporation using mercs as security, but finds they are too expensive so they call the government to send the the Mobile Infantry. The mercs and Mobile Infantry are constantly butting heads and honestly, I agree with the mercs. There's also something about the corporation using technology to placate the bugs but that goes nowhere.

I'd say for the $10 I paid it was worth it, I just expected more. If you liked the base game and want more I would suggest picking it up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

There's a steam sale for Old World right now. And Terra Invictus. And a bunch of other great games from the same publisher are in a bundle.

Mordja posted:

Since Total Warhammer 3 is forever dead

Why is TW3 dead? I played a lot of 2, but haven't followed the news for 3.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Old World is the first Civ like that got me to fully drop civ. Amazing game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My beef with Old World is it gives you a lot of fiddly resources and there isn’t a great sense of how much or whether the way or amount you gently caress with them is working

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

LLSix posted:

Why is TW3 dead? I played a lot of 2, but haven't followed the news for 3.

It’s a meme. TW3 is having some issues; it’s inordinately buggy, and the studio has recently spent a lot of time on a live-service game that got shitcanned. The last DLC was overpriced and very poorly received. The game is very much alive; TW2 is a hard act to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea TW3 isn't dead, the studio is