Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Stay

We're out to save lives here. The better we can build here, the more people we can save. And with.. Everyting going on back home, we might be safer here thank out there.

And if we stay it will be voluntary. If those who want to go back that will not undermine the project by doing so, they will be permitted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Stay do not raise a militia.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Raise a militia and then leave

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stay and No Militia

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Stay & No Militia! All that can lead to is internal score settling.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Arbite posted:

All that can lead to is internal score settling.

That's the point!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Stay
We built this generator, we know it's inner workings and little quirks. If we leave, then the people who end up coming here after us will have to learn how to handle it all over again. Besides, if we stay and upgrade it, we might be able to increase it's overall capacity to handle everyone who's coming, as well as ourselves.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
We built this generator on rock and coal!

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The union representatives came to speak to me. They made it clear that the IEC could not compel them to leave and that they would be defending their interests with force. I fear Company management will no longer be the primary authority at Site 113. I will continue to update you as the situation develops for as long as I have access to the telegraph.

IEC Site 113 Status Report #017

You have to install three upgrades in order to raise the capacity of the city protected by your Generator: Riser System, Overdrive and Heat Vents.
Each of them will require plenty of resources and labour to complete.

1418. Approximately three quarters of the work crew, mostly class 1 employees, have indicated they would rather stay than return to England. By pointing out there are still upgrades that could be made to the generator I have ensured their efforts will remain focused on work for the time being.

The workers have begun arming themselves. I am uncertain whether the pro-militia faction had a true majority, but a minority with arms outnumbers any unarmed majority.

Labour union headquarters are being fortified.

Sir, a shocking letter arrived from the Manchester Constabulary. It appears that one of our engineers is a suspect in several gruesome murders! The police wants to question him and is asking us to send him back in the first outbound ship. The man claims he's innocent, obviously. What should we do?

1420. Ironically, one man will be heading back to England on the next ship after all - a class 2 employee noted around the camp as having been quiet and reserved since his arrival.

1422. The engineer having been locked up until the next ship arrives prompts me to re-examine our labour allocation. Medics are reassigned to workshops from medical tents that have been largely redundant since the construction of the infirmary, and those who had been working construction have been reassigned to various sites around the camp, as a general second shift that will allow work to proceed around the clock.

Congratulations. You finished the Generator not a moment too soon.
Nationwide food shortage caused people to take to the streets. There are riots in Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds. Chaos in colonies is even worse. Ebenezer Craven, the new Prime Minister wants to redirect the resources for the Generator programme. We might have to change your next assignment.
The icebreaker is on its way and should arrive to evacuate you soon.

1519. Transmission received, London. Please clarify. Will IEC security forces be allocated to ensure Company interests remain principal here?

Sir, with the impending interruption of navigation this is our last window to order resources through the Telegraph Station.
Afterwards, there won't be enough time for the shipment to come through before the temperature drop.

1601. Shipping confirms final supply ship already departed London yesterday and that there will be no time for security forces to be sent. Understood, London. I will continue to represent Company policy here until the icebreaker arrives with reinforcements.

People's Militia has been established.

1756. Union building has been reinforced and garrisoned. I have heard the militia has a list of "troublemakers" to whom they are paying special interest - Company loyalists all.

A small group marched out of the Chapel after the evening service, carrying makeshift signs with slogans such as "Ban the demon drink" and "Renounce sin, choose temperance." They are now picketing the Public House, demanding that it stops serving alcohol.
Angry patrons volunteer to drive the teetotallers away, but they want to make sure they won't get into trouble for this.

1902. Current social unrest extended to conflict between regulars of chapel service and public house. Armed militia members interposed themselves and the public house now stands empty and dark.

2001. Improvements to internal heater system complete. Workshop engineers have received new assignment - the first of the generator upgrades.

2059. Final transport received. The vessel set back out with haste - the captain informed me the route had already begun to freeze on the journey in.

2124. Production of sufficient steel composites for all generator improvements complete. Additional workshops under assembly to take advantage of unique insights former foundry workers may have.

0438. Combination of doubled workshop shifts and integration of class-1 employees facilitated completion of first generator upgrade, allowing generator to affect wider area.

0717. Morning sees further declines to temperature and temperament.

An eloquent worker has been giving a series of fiery speeches about the importance of our project in Workers' Councils. People who listen to them feel uplifted. They are proud to be part of such an exceptional undertaking and eager to prove their worth.

1403. Addresses from union representative Howard have been radicalizing workers. Employees are working harder, but at expense of Company loyalty.

1840. Second generator upgrade complete, allowing for improved thermal energy output. Materials for final upgrade not yet prepared, so research continues on topic of brazier effectiveness instead.

As the last ships prepare to leave, a crowd of angry people gathers on the docks, intent on forcing their way aboard the outbound ships. This is the last chance to make them stay.
This is also the last chance to go home before winter sets in, if you choose to abandon the final challenge.

2000. Last supply ships arrived and were rushed by those who were not in favour of staying. Approximately 1 in 5 employees boarded departing ships for England. As all contracts have been fulfilled there was no reason to stop them. Militia members ensured their evacuation proceeded in a safe and orderly fashion.

The generator is ready. Now we wait until the weather improves enough for ships to arrive and take us home. We just have to hold on a few days longer.

Departees primarily consisted of Company loyalists. IEC representation at Site 113 is perilously low. I await arrival of security forces when icebreaker arrives in 8 days with eager anticipation. We will be reunited then, darling.

A sheet of ice now covers the surface of the sea as far as the ice can see, but there is no telling how thick it is at any point. Any incoming ship risks severe hull damage while anybody attempting to walk risks falling through.

Surveyors confirm there is a secure route to this shipwreck which has been just offshore since we arrived. We may salvage it should additional steel be required.

2129. Production of all required steam exchangers complete. Machine shop and dock workers receive new job site assignments.

2340. Braziers may now output more heat at expense of doubled coal consumption. Development of final generator upgrade begins.

The camp wakes up in an eerie silence. With the last ships gone, we can no longer count on any outside support: no supplies, no mail, no way to evacuate in an emergency. We are on our own.

0603. Disposition among my staff and other remaining loyalists is bleak. Unknown what attitude is among union workers. Perhaps they feel some regret over forcing us to stay.

Sir, we finished all the upgrades! Our Generator will now be able to protect much more people against much worse cold.

0905. Installation of emergency overdrive system concludes generator construction.

The generator will function at 100% capacity and has all optional features. I believe this may be the most perfect realization of the IEC design yet assembled. Generator 113 will be the pride of the Imperial Exploration Company's catalogue.

First, the Company must reassert control over the site. Please send reinforcements at your earliest convenience.

Sir, with the cold upon us, people are getting worried about food shortage. There are complaints that the militia are abusing their authority to control the food rations distribution, putting themselves ahead of everyone else.

1003. Militia headquarters being located next to cookhouse ensures union members get priority in food lines. Choice foodstuffs reserved for supervisors, foremen and chief engineers have been improperly distributed among class 1 employees!

1256. A worker assigned to research and development team proposed allocating majority of now-unused construction zone to materials storage, an admittedly practical solution to storage premium inadequacies at Site 113.

Sir, people are questioning your use of Two Shifts. They understand that our schedule requires hard work, but they feel that they have to make up for the management's blunders. They might go on strike if you ignore them.

1403. Union representatives came to my office again to convince me to end double shifts across the site. I had little choice but to agree with their points. Darling, I cannot bear to wait to hear from you again. Why do you not respond? End report.

Minutes of the Eighth Meeting of the ILGWU

Representative Howard: You are too kind, my friends. My words, however, are merely the words of the common man. And it is the common man who has won this day! Not with mere words, but with action. We have shown the icy bastards that they cannot take and take forever, that even the lowliest of base beasts have claws when pushed! My friends, we have made our first point, that this is our home and we will fight to keep it. Now it is time to demonstrate that we mean it.

A Show of Force will root out the last of the Company's lapdogs. The scabs have had their chance to see the error of their ways! It is too late for any who still lick the boots that tread us down! And my friends, since they can not be made to see reason, all that is left for them...

...is Terror.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 28, 2023

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Settle down, Robespierre. No new laws

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No new laws, let's hunker down

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Work is done, we have enough food and supplies to wait for the icebreaker and come what may, we did it... OUR WAY

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No new laws. I've just found this LP and it's great. Does anyone know when Frost punk 2 is expected?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Quixzlizx posted:

Agree

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Josef bugman posted:

No new laws. I've just found this LP and it's great. Does anyone know when Frost punk 2 is expected?

Best guess I've seen is the first half of 2024.

Oh and No new laws!
I think the the workers might be pushing the whole power to the people thing a bit far. As far as company run settlements go, this one's been pretty good and accommodating. I see no reason to get violent.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

stryth posted:

Best guess I've seen is the first half of 2024.

Oh and No new laws!
I think the the workers might be pushing the whole power to the people thing a bit far. As far as company run settlements go, this one's been pretty good and accommodating. I see no reason to get violent.

That being said, I look forward to the "ah gently caress we went all the way into the Terror" alternate universe playthrough.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm actually more curious about the alternate path where we could have done a professional society of engineers.

Also no new laws, the militia seems to be sufficient to deter wreckers.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
No Laws and judging by some of the other camps I doubt the engineer runthrough would be very professional.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

This!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
No new laws! We are working men, not murderers!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

it always ends with gruesome execution doesn't it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seraphic Neoman posted:

it always ends with gruesome execution doesn't it?

Standing here, I realise
That you’re just like me, trying to make history
But who’s to judge the right from wrong
When our guard is down I think we’ll both agree
That violence breeds violence
That in the end, it has to be this way

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

IEC Site 113 Status Report #018

1425. There has been a schism between militant and pacifist branches of the union. Those who favour peace maintain a majority, and so the militia has curtailed its spread for the moment.

Still, looking back across the frozen sea, I anticipate your reply and your arrival. How I long to see your face, darling.

1626. Most of the engineers are still with us. Those who haven't fallen for the union's seditious lies are among the preeminent voices for peace in the camp. They continue their good, loyal work.

1038. A blessedly quiet night. The researchers have been investigating methods of maximizing heat retention in buildings but believe such improvements will only be possible in healthcare facilities.

1048. The last remaining coal in the reloading stations has been collected, and revised coal balance reports indicate a significant deficit now that our only income source is charcoal kilns. I order a second one built.

1410. The last of the reloading stations finishes sorting its backlog and is ordered dismantled.

Sir, a crowd is gathering by the generator around a tall, wiry man, who's shouting, gesticulating wildly: "We built this Tower of Babel against the God our Lord! And now His wrath is kindled against us! So He sent this great frost to smite us! Repent! Lay down your tools and pray!"
Most people are just gazing, but a few kneel next to him.

1415. A bellicose madness has gripped one of the workers, one of the ones from Site 120 that I told you about. Do you remember? Before I could make a decision some of the militia members shoved me out of the way and beat the man with cudgels until he stopped shouting.

1515. While there are more than enough class 2 employees on site to fully staff medical facilities, a degree of mechanisation will improve efficiency of healing efforts.

Secondary coal production facility has ensured sufficient coal income until icebreaker arrival. This has come about as more heaters and braziers have been required due to continuously declining temperatures.

0920. Out of some degree of pride or foresight the research team continues delivering to me reports on innovations that will not currently serve us.

1349. Redundant structures are dismantled in order to ensure charcoal kilns do not run out of fuel after sawmills are finished harvesting timber.

Sir, the militia rounded up all the engineers they consider 'troublesome.'
"This lot has been causing trouble all along. Let's end it once and for all so that we can finally concentrate on building the generator."
They're talking about mass execution. And they're not asking for your permission.

1409. As I was issuing the deconstruction orders the militia seized eleven of the remaining loyalist engineers and executed them under the generator. There was nothing I could do. They said they were standing in the way of the union remaining on site and continuing to work on the generator as permanent residents. I couldn't do anything to stop them.

1437. Why don't you answer me, darling? You know there was nothing I could have done, don't you? Don't give me that look, Merton. Prepare steel for the employees. The bodies. For the caskets, for when we return to England.

1012. Please don't look at me that way, Merton. They would understand. They must. Yes, I want you to bloody well write it down! We have developed all innovations that could be achieved with on-site facilities. It's on the report, isn't it? Good man.

You gave your people time to rest, maintaining normal working hours. They feel ready to work hard again.

1404. The workers have taken to assigning themselves to double shifts again so as many can be crammed into one of the warm workshops at a time as possible, rather than sitting in chilly tents all day long.

Sir, some of our people are concerned about the low temperature in their quarters. They quite sensibly point out that it's easy to fall ill when it's cold, and ask you to address the problem. They might go on strike if you don't do it.

0732. It is 50 degrees below 0! What do they expect me to do, lie with them? That's what the house of pleasure was built for! Will you lie with me tonight, Merto

I'm sorry, darling. He wasn't supposed to write that down. You shouldn't have had to read that. I sent him away.

Sir, if everything goes according to plan, the icebreaker should be here tomorrow. Not a moment too soon, as everybody is desperate to leave this place.
One of our people went out on the ice to look out for the ship, but it's been some time and he hasn't returned. His friends are worried that something happened to him.

1803. A class 1 employee is missing. Militia dispatched five members to locate him.

Sir, the search party returned in the dead of night, empty-handed and unnerved. They found shreds of the man's knapsack and clothes in a circle of trampled, bloody snow, and traces of dragging along a set of large pawprints.
"These are polar bear tracks!", says an experienced explorer. "These beasts normally keep far to the north of here until winter. We must get out of here, the weather really is getting crazy!"

0204. Loyalist plant within union ranks reports scouts found missing employee's remains, apparently victim of ursine attack.

Sir, our store of Wood is low. We need to step up logging.
Thankfully the area around the tree abounds in trees. We can build more sawmills and cut them all down.

1042. The madness spreads. One of my staff has taken to ranting about how we must pre-emptively strike against all the trees of Birnam Wood. I remain insulated from the effects of this spreading snow-madness.

But truly, the man speaks nonsense. There aren't but three or four trees left standing around the entire camp!

1450. The transport comes soon, darling. I cannot wait to see you. It is so warm now; it must be your warmth I feel.
They are herding the Company men to the shore. I will be among them in but a moment. So few loyal employees left. As many of the unionists will return with us - armed, and ready to spread their movement beyond our shores to yours. Be ready when we return.
What does your face look like? What does your voice sound like? What is your name, darling? I will soon know. Finally. Such sweet anticipation. I see you on the horizon. You are beautiful.
End report.

The huge generator, symbol of workers' victory, slowly disappears from view, dwarfed by the mountains towering over it. You have won against all odds and look defiantly into the uncertain future.
Workers, inspired by the wonder they've built, burn with fervor, eager to carry the news to the homeland. They will never forget what you showed them: that the old social order is just kindling for a flame.
You have a feeling they will not watch idly the chaos engulfing the Empire. The flame you kindled might spread far and wide...

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Every bold endeavour
Demands sacrifice

And so
We did...

Abolition of privileges
Muzzling dissent
Augmentations
Stimulating drugs

Can one life
Be worth more than another?

Liverpool needed a chance
I manipulated to give it

26 dead workers

11 dead engineers

But...
Was this price just?

And there we have it. Acceptable chances of survival, after we did everything we could; enough to potentially save 800 people. Among them will be about 200 of the Unionists who laboured so the Generator would be built as well as it could possibly be, and will now get to enjoy the fruits of their labour. What will things look like once the rest of the New Liverpudlians arrive? Hopefully the lives of the eleven engineers were enough to ensure a peaceful and just society for all who will follow.
I'll be putting up two supplemental posts before we tackle the final (!) scenario of Frostpunk. We'll get to see what happens if we'd taken that final step towards Terror, and then go waaay back in time to see what would have happened if we'd supported the Engineers instead. Stay tuned!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Woops update dropped as I voted.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 28, 2023

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

cokerpilot posted:

No new laws
Will do.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Remalle posted:

Will do.

Curses my folly for all to see.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Did you let the engineers die for RP reasons, or was there some horrible drawback for demanding a trial? Because that event seemed like it was basically "Show of Force."

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Quixzlizx posted:

Did you let the engineers die for RP reasons, or was there some horrible drawback for demanding a trial? Because that event seemed like it was basically "Show of Force."
Bit of column A, but the other option essentially forces you to sign Terror within two days, and I figured if I didn't sign at that point there would be worse consequences.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RIP guys who died. But it's okay. We left this perfectly comfortable generator to go back to London where nothing bad will happen

Also for those interested the game and DLCs are heavily discounted on steam till the weekend

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Alright, let's go back to the start of the last report and pass a whole bunch of laws that nobody wanted.
By the way, there is an entire second OST dedicated to the expansions - I forgot to include the Last Autumn Theme at the beginning so have a listen now. There might be some spoilers for the next scenario if you keep listening through the album.

There's a week left 'til the icebreaker gets here and most of these laws have an 18 hour cooldown. We'll see all of them in time. First, Propaganda.

These are essentially the same deal as the Agitators from the Order track, but I feel like their radius is absolutely massive in this scenario!

The first Agitators are operational! Your encouraging words can reach more people.

The model is essentially the same, but covered in red flags instead of banners with the Order symbol.

Next up is Selfless Sacrifice. Jobs where this could be used are already done at this point, but it would raise workplace efficiency by 25% while reducing safety by two levels. Just assume I'm doing everything else the same in the background between laws, here.

Eighteen hours later comes Show of Force, which was a bit further down the tree than Propaganda and Selfless Sacrifice were.

At the cost of ten rations, militia members go around and lower the strike risk by one level globally. I guess if this had come up in the narrative it would be the militia shaking down the non-union workers to motivate the union folks? Strike risks were already past us at this point, anyway.

Then there's this event. We saw quite a few of these sorts of events over the course of the scenario, but almost always went with the top option, because going with the second would force you to sign a specific law within two days. In this case, I was already planning on doing so anyway.

Ok, but first we gotta get Dispensary going. Don't worry, this is a 36 hour law but there was still time to spare for Terror afterwards.

The dispensary is absolutely tiny, tied with Field Kitchens from the Faith tree as the smallest buildings in the game. It can be placed inside the construction zone for some reason; you should never have any trouble finding a place to put it, though.

It's kind of cute!

You introduced the "Terror" law as planned.

Ok, ok, on to the main event. Nothing happens right away, though:

As is tradition, an execution place has to be built. Unlike the execution platforms from Faith and Order, this doesn't get built automatically.

It also doesn't get attached directly to the Generator, and actually takes up a lot of space. I had to get rid of a couple of large resource depots to make room.

Execution Place has been established.

It's quite a bit bigger than the execution platforms we've seen before, with three steam vents. I stalled as long as possible so there would only be time for one grill, but if you sign Terror early enough it does escalate to the point where multiple engineers get killed at once every day.

Sir, the first undesirable has just been executed. The man was brought to the execution place and boiled alive with hot steam.
Although a few gentle souls looked away, most people watched in shock and awe. It will be a reminder to all of the grim fate that awaits traitors and slackers. The People's Militia already has another condemned lined up for tomorrow.

Oh, here we go.

It's a little bit hard to see, but poor Harold Hawtrey's reason for execution is listed as "crimes against public order." He's still hanging up there by the time the icebreaker arrives.

So the ending plays out exactly as it did in the canon playthrough, except for the lines about "abolition of privileges, muzzling dissent, augmentations, stimulating drugs" are a bit different to reflect the new laws I showed off.

Executions
Abolition of privileges
Muzzling dissent
Propaganda

Not so different. I have no idea what "augmentations" was referring to in the other version. Alright, next time I'll be showing how things might have gone if the engineering class took over. It will take a bit longer, but I'll try not to make you wait too long!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The augmentations would be either prosthetics, a fundamental evil, or paying the low rank workers more, also a fundamental evil.

I'm not sure either.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

The augmentations would be either prosthetics, a fundamental evil, or paying the low rank workers more, also a fundamental evil.

Like soup. Soup is also evil.

empwnleon
May 10, 2021
A bit belated, but loved the writing you did for the Captain...? manager...? here! Each bit where one of his actual human dialogues got through to the notary were great, and that ending bit made me double-back to see when he started addressing notes to "darling"; didn't even cross my mind that it might've been a stress-induced Dulcinea!

anything, looking forward to seeing the engineer-flavored french revolution we have going on in the neighboring timeline

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

empwnleon posted:

A bit belated, but loved the writing you did for the Captain...? manager...? here! Each bit where one of his actual human dialogues got through to the notary were great, and that ending bit made me double-back to see when he started addressing notes to "darling"; didn't even cross my mind that it might've been a stress-induced Dulcinea!

anything, looking forward to seeing the engineer-flavored french revolution we have going on in the neighboring timeline
Thanks for the feedback; I was really worried that the Foreman's reports would be too dry on their own so I did try to sprinkle in just enough variety. Glad to hear it worked for you!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly I can't imagine the other side being better in any way compared to this. Capitalism in that era was loving insane so unless the engineers suddenly have the option to use charity to help workers with their lives it's probably gonna be assholes from the word go.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
As is typical for Frostpunk, going especially beyond the range of things we would consider reasonable approaches to difficult situations goes very bad, very quickly.

You don't have to go full militia for Labor - I was able to avoid going too far and just got a somewhat morose ending about how after all our work we get a chance to get a place at the generator. But going with the engineers sounds pretty awful almost immediately because it's so explicitly classist.

Given that the equatorial region in Frostpunk is apparently much more modestly cooling and is just beset with chaos and struggle as ecological upheaval reigns, I wonder if the Labor extremist ending would lead to revolutionary communes in that part of the world.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Looks like Lord Craven was also Britain's last PM.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

This time we're going alllll the way back to Day 11, the day Site 113 saw its first strike. In the canonical timeline the Foreman gave the workers a bit too much rope, and lost the IEC its control over the site as the Union took more and more power. Let's see what would have happened if he had decided to deputize the engineers, instead.

To improve workplace safety, factory inspectors will check if the employees follow the rules.

Seems benign enough so far!

The Factory Inspectorate is a bit more expensive than the Labour Union, and takes up a slightly different footprint. It doesn't really matter where it's placed, it affects wherever it needs to.

The more staff you throw in there, the more places get safer. The catch is the Inspectorate needs ten engineers to be fully staffed, which at this point in the game you almost certainly cannot afford. I empty a workshop and put five engineers in for now, which is enough to make two job sites safer.

This is far enough back in time that I can redo the choice of corpse disposal. Let's try building a cemetary instead.

The cemetery in this scenario is a far cry from the cemetery us future-dwellers are used to, being essentially a big open dirt pit rather than a cute little chapel. As somebody way upthread pointed out, a lot of things in The Last Autumn feel like the developers giving themselves a second chance at balancing things that are otherwise familiar from the base game.

Hopefully we won't to fill this entire plot!

Sir, people are voicing their displeasure with you decision to bury the dead on site.
"This is such a shame!" says a middle-aged woman. "To die in this wretched place, far from our kin, is bad enough. But it's a disgrace to leave our dead forever in this remote, cold land." Perhaps we can relieve our distress by introducing Ceremonial Funerals.

Yeah, yeah, I'll get to that later. Besides, you're going to be living here once the Generator is done, what's the problem with being buried here too?

Competent and loyal workers can be promoted to higher, more responsible posts.

A side branch off the main Engineer progression lets us turn workers into engineers! This could actually go a long way towards alleviating the low number of engineers, except...

...it costs fifty wood and steel to do. Ten apiece for each worker getting the cybernetic bio-enhancements required to become a fully-fledged engineer, you see.

An engineer from the Factory Inspectorate comes to talk to you.
"I have great news, boss! To celebrate the opening of our Inspectorate, the company sent us a shipment of fine tobacco. It's a rare delight in these times. Wouldn't it be nice to share it with workers?"

An engineer suggested sharing the good baccy with the proles. We all managed to keep a straight face for nearly four whole seconds before bursting into raucous laughter and keeping them all for ourselves.

Overseers will visit workplaces to motivate employees and enforce compliance of proper procedures.

Both the Workers and Engineers paths occasionally feel like they're borrowing from the Order tree, and this is one of those times. While the overseers' stations aren't actually that similar to watchtowers and guard stations, mechanically, they look and feel really similar.

The differences being they're a tad more expensive, require engineers rather than workers, and raise efficiency and discontent rather than hope.

Ok, so it's not a perfect comparison, but they really do look alike!

Sir, an engineer received a letter from relatives in India. They explain that a sudden frost devastated their plantation and they are going back to England, as the colony is descending into chaos and the population is rising up against the British rule.
Surely we cannot let such information impact the morale of our people.

I don't think this event is tied to a particular path, I think its appearance is just random. Always nice to get some insight into what's going on in the outside world!

Guards working from the Security Outposts will look out for troublemakers to ensure the security of employees.

The overseers' stations upgrade into security outposts on the very next law, which again feels very much like the watchtower > guard station pipeline from Order.

The engineers heard that the workers were arming themselves in an alternate universe and started arming themselves in response. Little do they know that they are in the non-canon timeline.

Security outposts have been built and manned to keep workers in line.

Now they lower discontent rather than raising it, which is a rather nice upgrade. It's hard to see in the screenshot but they do this by pointing a comically large telescope down at the working class.

Sir, a large amount of benzol, a flammable solvent, was stolen from the stores. Overseers want to look for it in the workers' quarters.
"Maybe someone took it to keep warm at night. I sure hope so." The head overseer looks worried. "But benzol is commonly used to fashion firebombs. I will sleep easier if we find it. Do we have your permission to search the workers' quarters?"

So back in the real world we never got the chance to find and stop the arsonist. Now that we've set up some engineer oversight here, they've realized that a flammable chemical is missing ahead of time and so we might be able to preempt the entire situation.

Sir, the docks await your orders. You need to choose which resource you want to be delivered.

I set up a docks and forgot to assign it to receive coal, which triggered this helpful reminder.

Sir, a group of overseers is here to talk to you about dealing with worker protests.
"Lives depend on us finishing the generator on time, yet the workers keep striking. Why are you putting up with this? We have the guns. Just give us an order and we'll put a swift end to all this tomfoolery."

I would like to remind the thread that the number of strikes that have occurred to date is currently one (1). Well, I'm going to show you the engineer path anyway, might as well promise to sign the next law sooner than later.

Sir, the head overseer is here to report on the discovery of an arson plot.
"My people found bottles of benzol hidden in workers' quarters. We arrested the suspects, who confessed to plotting an assault on overseers. However, we don't have a secure place to lock them up. What do you want us to do?"

This event follows immediately after. The third option there - you know, the one right below summary execution - is another promise to sign a different law within the next two days, which I don't think I would have been able to do both, hence me releasing the plotters.

To ensure that all employees return to work, guards from Security Outposts will deal harshly with the strike instigators.

This doesn't make strikes less likely, mind you; it just lets you forcibly suppress each one that pops up. And they will keep happening, because each strike-bust raises discontent, making strikes more likely, meaning you'll need to end that strike, and so on and so on.

You introduced the "Strike-busting" law as planned.

The fact that Motivation rises when you do this is a good indicator of why we're not measuring Hope, here.

We can't afford feeding those who can't work. Therefore the amputees shall be sent back to London, into the care of their families.

One of the prostitutes lost a hand to an STI and so will be sent back to England. I signed Care House and Extra Rations off screen too, but those are the same laws we voted on.

Sir, a popular strike leader has vanished. Workers want to stop work for a few hours to organise a search.
"Someone must've kidnapped him this night. Folks from his tent didn't notice he's gone until morning. We have to search the camp now, while there's a chance we'll find him alive!"

"1337. Oh no! Anyway."

As you watch the amputees packing their meagre belongings before being sent home, one of them approaches you.
"Sir, if I'm sent back, the company will stop paying me. I never had to beg in my life... but I can't let my kids starve. Please, don't let us go. I lost my hand doing the job you gave me - is this worth nothing?"

Sorry, Mr. Ready, but there's no room in our utilitarian utopia for you.
What, you thought I was kidding about somebody losing a hand to an STI? I know it wasn't a repetitive motion injury because the medics actually checked.

Alright, breaking it here. I don't know if it will take one or two more updates to show off the rest of this path, but this recording took a while to get through already, so we'll see. Until next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Remalle posted:

One of the prostitutes lost a hand to an STI and so will be sent back to England. I signed Care House and Extra Rations off screen too, but those are the same laws we voted on.

What, you thought I was kidding about somebody losing a hand to an STI? I know it wasn't a repetitive motion injury because the medics actually checked.

:stonk: What the gently caress did she get, turbo-syphilis?