Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Kylaer posted:

Enuncia is explicitly not Warp power from everything I can recall reading. It's an entirely different all-powerful mystical underpinning of the universe, one that the Necrons and the Eldar never managed to discover but some absolute nobodies at the Tower of Babel did, before getting pwned by the Emperor, in the Bronze Age.

IIRC perpetuals are a thing from the flavor text in the really old rulebooks, but Abnett was the one who brought them back into the modern era of fiction. And Grammaticus is entirely his.

The Necrontyr/Necrons have magic systems outside of the warpy stuff we're familiar with, and I wouldn't be surprised if Enuncia was something they were aware of (the C'Tan definitely would have stripped such knowledge during bio-transference though).

The Eldar though, dunno maybe just too high on their own supply to look past their innate psychic gifts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deptfordx posted:

Do limiters for blanks appear anywhere but Abnetts books?

Bile's new sidekick Porter is a ridiculously overengineered monster-person who can turn on her anti-psychic organs at will.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just imagine it’s archeotec that the mechanicus found a faded stc for it at the bottom of some hive and the inquisition stole some or whatever

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sextro posted:

The Necrontyr/Necrons have magic systems outside of the warpy stuff we're familiar with, and I wouldn't be surprised if Enuncia was something they were aware of (the C'Tan definitely would have stripped such knowledge during bio-transference though).

The Eldar though, dunno maybe just too high on their own supply to look past their innate psychic gifts?

The Necrons don't have magic, they just have Sufficiently Advanced Technology, which might as well be the same thing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Enuncia has come up in older Abnett books. It's old, old warptech that was probably made by the Old Ones, straight-up magic that doesn't depend on the Dark Gods or the kind of hack methods that human psykers use.

It's the holy grail of power that all kinds of bad guys are chasing. Molotch got his hands on a mostly-complete spellbook of it for just a few minutes and was not only able to completely restore his devastated body, but wield immense magical power with no downsides.

The problem is, unless you execute it absolutely perfectly, it will backfire and kill you. Doing the work to build that spellbook took a whole sector's worth of resources, and later on the new cognitae (and the Ecclesiarchy, and other people) resorted to using blanks to work their way up, and even Beta got a little dizzy when she was using the primitive forms.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 1, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It was extremely obvious that GW said "USE THE CAESTUS ASSAULT RAM" to Abnett and so he wrote the most metal use of it he could :black101:

TBF, if you use a Caestus in a story and it isn't :black101: AF, you're doing it wrong.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

currently imagining a caestus ram with a foregrip or red dot sight or something attached to that bit on the ventral edge. I think that's a fun image to rotate in my head.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Finished the second twice dead king. I've read a bunch of the black library now, but I think this one is my absolute favorite.

As a character study story it's super well executed. The twice dead king becoming the twice dead king is, I think the most powerful and emotional sequence I've read so far.

The whole first book being a setup to the reveal of the horror that is the flayer curse, and the second book reversing that perspective entirely to show the horror of traditional necron kingship and the flayer curse as a freeing liberation that the hero finally accepts is such a cool reversal.

Also is a book with a proper cooldown period, resolution of loose threads, and properly lengthy epilogue, which feels rare from what I've seen.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

It was extremely obvious that GW said "USE THE CAESTUS ASSAULT RAM" to Abnett and so he wrote the most metal use of it he could :black101:

You also have to give Abnett credit for making an absolutely brilliant product placement in Saturnine for the loving Zone Mortalis terrain set of all things. Literally the whole ambush ground under the Saturnine wall is exactly that, it plays out like the game, and they even call it by its name, yet it's great storytelling. Abnett really is a superb writer even if he did come up with Enuncia.

Sharkopath posted:

Finished the second twice dead king. I've read a bunch of the black library now, but I think this one is my absolute favorite.

As a character study story it's super well executed. The twice dead king becoming the twice dead king is, I think the most powerful and emotional sequence I've read so far.

The whole first book being a setup to the reveal of the horror that is the flayer curse, and the second book reversing that perspective entirely to show the horror of traditional necron kingship and the flayer curse as a freeing liberation that the hero finally accepts is such a cool reversal.

Also is a book with a proper cooldown period, resolution of loose threads, and properly lengthy epilogue, which feels rare from what I've seen.

I was wondering whether the dysphorakh was some kind of allegory to being trans, or at least drawing on that as inspiration for the mental imagery. I sent a copy of the book to my best friend, who was trans, but they died before getting around to reading it and so I'll never know their opinion :smith:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

habeasdorkus posted:

Excuse me, they're called Carcharodons now.

I will never accept this

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Finished with The Great Work, and honestly, what a treat. Just a really good sci-fi romp and a good bit of character work. If this is the level of work that Black Library is putting out these days I imagine my Kindle bill will be a lot higher going forward.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kylaer posted:

You also have to give Abnett credit for making an absolutely brilliant product placement in Saturnine for the loving Zone Mortalis terrain set of all things. Literally the whole ambush ground under the Saturnine wall is exactly that, it plays out like the game, and they even call it by its name, yet it's great storytelling. Abnett really is a superb writer even if he did come up with Enuncia.

I was wondering whether the dysphorakh was some kind of allegory to being trans, or at least drawing on that as inspiration for the mental imagery. I sent a copy of the book to my best friend, who was trans, but they died before getting around to reading it and so I'll never know their opinion :smith:

I'm so sorry:smith:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anno posted:

Finished with The Great Work, and honestly, what a treat. Just a really good sci-fi romp and a good bit of character work. If this is the level of work that Black Library is putting out these days I imagine my Kindle bill will be a lot higher going forward.

Genefather is a direct sequel to great work. Dante and Devestation of Baal are good works that take place right on the cusp of the new lore, also by Haley. I also really like Haleys Valedor which is one of the few Eldar books not written by Gav Thorpe, that ones not in the new Era though. I really like Haley as an author because I think he has a strong focus on personal relationships and the introspection of his characters.

Wraight's Vaults of Terra I'd also super recommend as a series taking place in the new Era, more than say avenging son or dark imperium.

Oh also forgot Renegades Harrowmaster, which is a really cool book about rebel marines trying to find their place in the new era.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 2, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anno posted:

The Great Work was excellent but it doesn't even hold a candle to the best BL has put out lately. I highly recommend the Vaults of Terra and The Watchers of The Throne series. After those i'd look at Lords of Silence, Twice Dead King duology, Infinite and the Divine, and Peter Fehervari's stuff.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Genefather is a direct sequel to great work. Dante and Devestation of Baal are good works that take place right on the cusp of the new lore, also by Haley. I also really like Haleys Valedor which is one of the few Eldar books not written by Gav Thorpe, that ones not in the new Era though. I really like Haley as an author because I think he has a strong focus on personal relationships and the introspection of his characters.

Wraight's Vaults of Terra I'd also super recommend as a series taking place in the new Era, more than say avenging son or dark imperium.

Also Dark Imperium is a good trilogy for getting a feel for "Modern" 40k. It's Haley as well, and features Mortarion vs Gulliman in the Plague War.

For the guy asking about Age of Sigmar:
GodEater's Son is a good look at Chaos. Specifically how and why somebody would fall.

Hamilcar, Champion of the Gods is a FANTASTIC look at what it is to be a Stormcast. Half of my memories from it are from the Narrator reading the story like he's a boastful blaggart telling you the tale at a Tavern.

I think the hard part with Sigmar right now is the fact that it's relatively early in it's lifespan, so there isn't to much built up in terms of depth to the factions. There's maybe two books on every faction bar the Stormcast, max. And Stormcast's stories vary WILDLY, with some being the romp like Hamilcar, others being a bit depressing (Black Talon: The First Mark) and other's just... exist (Hammers of Sigmar: First Forged feels very workmanship).

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Anno posted:

Your bill will indeed be higher - Haley isn't a bad author, but there are a whole slew of writers currently contributing on the Black Library roster who I would say are better than him. Chris Wraight, Mike Brooks, Nate Crowley, Robert Rath, and of course the longstanding veterans Dan Abnett and Aaron Dempski-Bowden - the state of Warhammer publishing has never been better, there's piles of stuff to read and a lot of it is genuinely well-written.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

One of the reasons for this, and also the abrupt ending of Ruin is that AFAIK they started as one book that got split in half.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One of the reasons for this, and also the abrupt ending of Ruin is that AFAIK they started as one book that got split in half.

That makes sense.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

god I'd forgotten how strained-like-a-poxburster horny Abnett was in Ravenor. It's just whores and boobs and splendid cleavages and all of it is quite sexless.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Black Griffon posted:

god I'd forgotten how strained-like-a-poxburster horny Abnett was in Ravenor. It's just whores and boobs and splendid cleavages and all of it is quite sexless.

Ravenor was Abnett doing the X-Men in space so a level of high horny that nonetheless doesn't land on sexy at all is on brand :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

There's a lot of it in Eisenhorn too, honestly I wouldn't mind like full romances in 40k but I hesitate to recommend the usual abnett starters to people because they are more leering than sexy. It's a very james bond vibe.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

OPAONI posted:

Ravenor was Abnett doing the X-Men in space so a level of high horny that nonetheless doesn't land on sexy at all is on brand :v:

So Ravenor himself is basically Charles Xavier? Now that explains many things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I remember reading one of the early Kal Jerico books and the first description of Yolanda was so horny I was kind of surprised at it, not to mention it came out of nowhere too.
Don't think I ever went further than halfway through the second book, because they were kind of bland and I only really enjoyed the comics.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Now that Heresy is wrapping up and Horror and Crime have taken off, it's time for Black Library to tackle the next frontier: Harlequin style steamy romance novels.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Now that Heresy is wrapping up and Horror and Crime have taken off, it's time for Black Library to tackle the next frontier: Harlequin style steamy romance novels.

Now I need a novel series co-starring a Harlequin Solitaire and an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor who start off as enemies, but when a tyranid splinter fleet threatens a world important to them both...

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
They kill each other out of spite while the planet burbs down around them got it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

There's a lot of it in Eisenhorn too, honestly I wouldn't mind like full romances in 40k but I hesitate to recommend the usual abnett starters to people because they are more leering than sexy. It's a very james bond vibe.

Yeah but in Eisenhorn it's so sexless and just kinda sad and yearning that it's relatively easy to ignore (except for the bit where Greg is like "fuuuck my best friend's daughter is hot as poo poo"). In Ravenor it's very comic book horny.

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember reading one of the early Kal Jerico books and the first description of Yolanda was so horny I was kind of surprised at it, not to mention it came out of nowhere too.
Don't think I ever went further than halfway through the second book, because they were kind of bland and I only really enjoyed the comics.

I sorta expected that I think. The only Kal Jerico stuff I've read was the subtitles to the lines of dialogue he has in Necromunda: Hired Gun, and that was bland enough.

ANYWAY this is all moot because the only romance that matters in 40k is the one between Barabas Dantioch and Alexis Polux (they're boyfriends) and everything else pales in comparison.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The one good romance in 40k is the part in Betrayer with the mechanicum magos in charge of the orbital defenses and shipping lanes at Calth, and his partner.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
The most amazing 40K love story is Severed. Not romance story, but literally story about love. The special kind of love that only a genderless undead robot can feel for another genderless undead robot, and it's absolutely brilliant.

Read Severed if you haven't already.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Oltyx and The Razor are dating and I won't hear otherwise

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am extremely happy to report that with Book 7, the Dawn of Fire series is finally worth reading. I'm only about 20% in but I am very much loving it. Chris Wraight has created some really interesting characters and he is writing some really great naval combat scenes. Definitely recommend picking it up, and from everything so far you don't need to have read any of the previous books at all.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I am extremely happy to report that with Book 7, the Dawn of Fire series is finally worth reading. I'm only about 20% in but I am very much loving it. Chris Wraight has created some really interesting characters and he is writing some really great naval combat scenes. Definitely recommend picking it up, and from everything so far you don't need to have read any of the previous books at all.

Dang, it's out already?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Neat, I was hoping with CW writing it we'd get a good one.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

D-Pad posted:

Awesome. I got the LE just because his name was on it, and was hoping it could be read as a stand alone!

Hope everyone got their Vaults of Terra collection that just went up!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I bought the Drekki Flynt novel and I will report back. Kharadron are neat.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

:smith: Goondolences

There's an offhand line in the book about one of the Phaerons waking up and now deciding that he would rather be referred to as she.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Philthy posted:

I managed to get one. For the record, it appeared online at 12:53 EST. I’ve never seen one release that early. Maybe worth remembering in the lead up to the least siege book.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Biplane posted:

One of my favorite aspects of the new necrons is their relationship to time now that they're functionally immortal. Trazyn spends like 7 years just pondering poo poo while standing around the planning table with his majordomo (Sannet?) before anyone says anything. And in twice dead when oltyx meets up with his brother and they just sorta stand there in silence for hours. I think its neat :shobon:

I like how twice dead expands on this that for the short lived necrontyr, time was super valuable and they always did everything in a rush, so even as necron the act of wasting somebody's time is a purposeful show of power, prestige, and comfort.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Philthy posted:

It was available for a surprisingly long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I guess even hard core collectors might think about "I've got to pay for Xmas".

Also how long is long? If they sold out in 50 minutes rather than 5, I doubt GW will care or draw any conclusions from that fact.