Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Anyone got a link to an apk for the appstore-challenged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases

For some reason the latest APK isn't there though, better than nothing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Atopian posted:

Just out of curiosity, what are you running it on? Huawei phone or aftermarket firmware on an originally-google phone, or?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Atopian posted:

I don't know why you aren't using the appstore but whatever. Github (and Gitlab) also support RSS feeds, so you can subscribe to them to get notified when a new release is published.

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases.atom

You can either just add it to your existing rss reader or install a seperate one and only drop rss feeds in for applications you have installed and treat that like an "appstore updates available" notification.

This is a simple reader that would probably work for that purpose.
https://github.com/Ashinch/ReadYou

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
For some reason Firefox on my Android phone decided to start crashing System UI. So I had to switch to chrome. On one hand Chrome has ads, on the other it's like 10 times faster than Firefox on same device.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MikusR posted:

For some reason Firefox on my Android phone decided to start crashing System UI. So I had to switch to chrome. On one hand Chrome has ads, on the other it's like 10 times faster than Firefox on same device.

Another satisfied google customer

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Computer viking posted:

Just out of curiosity, what are you running it on? Huawei phone or aftermarket firmware on an originally-google phone, or?

Huawei, yeah. China region ROM so not much wiggle room.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't know why you aren't using the appstore but whatever. Github (and Gitlab) also support RSS feeds, so you can subscribe to them to get notified when a new release is published.

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases.atom

You can either just add it to your existing rss reader or install a seperate one and only drop rss feeds in for applications you have installed and treat that like an "appstore updates available" notification.

This is a simple reader that would probably work for that purpose.
https://github.com/Ashinch/ReadYou

Cool, thanks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Well, I'll give it a try. Seems nice, but we'll see how often I remember to use it when I'm just used to being in my browser lol

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I use Awesome wm and have set my default text size to 150% because the 'normal' size is extremely small in Awesome. At night, though, I like to up the text size on certain web pages - SA included - to 190% so that they're easier on the eyes. Is there a way for this process to be automated with a script of some kind in Firefox?
Are you looking to have different zoom levels on different sites, or different zoom levels on different sites at different times of day? The first should be sticking by default, if it's not make sure browser.zoom.siteSpecific is true in about :config.

The latter isn't going to be possible with vanilla Firefox, you'd have to look for a plugin.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Knormal posted:

Are you looking to have different zoom levels on different sites, or different zoom levels on different sites at different times of day? The first should be sticking by default, if it's not make sure browser.zoom.siteSpecific is true in about :config.

The latter isn't going to be possible with vanilla Firefox, you'd have to look for a plugin.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I figured. It's not a huge deal but I'll look into that.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question, when Firefox (Windows) updates it opens a new tab to tell me about Firefox stuff. Is there any way to prevent this?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Quick question, when Firefox (Windows) updates it opens a new tab to tell me about Firefox stuff. Is there any way to prevent this?
Set browser.aboutwelcome.enabled to false in about :config.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Chromium based browsers seem to get axed next summer, with forced ads due to removal of manifest v2. Alternatives seem to be:
- use an ad-filtering proxy like it was 2003
- stop using web browsers or JavaScript
- use some Firefox based browser

Vivaldi is the ideal browser. UI never changes, and it has a ton of built-in features, so your browser never breaks when it updates. Firefox always kept changing the ui and breaking add-ons, which broke the UI.

Is there some stable fork of Firefox with Vivaldi-like built-in features? I don’t want the UI be dependent on add-ons. Thanks!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 2, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Set browser.aboutwelcome.enabled to false in about :config.

Hell yeah, thanks!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Firefox had better get itself into a good shape as soon as possible, to capture users from the fallout next year.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Chromium based browsers seem to get axed next summer, with forced ads due to removal of manifest v2.
It's nice to seek alternatives, but spreading FUD is not necessary. https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/ublock-origin-lite/ddkjiahejlhfcafbddmgiahcphecmpfh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that I think about it, it's pretty incredible how Firefox is one of the very few things that mostly didn't fall to Enshittification. Mostly.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Firefox successfully innoculated themselves against a big enshittification by repeatedly microdosing minor enshittifications over the years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

Chromium based browsers seem to get axed next summer, with forced ads due to removal of manifest v2. Alternatives seem to be:
- use an ad-filtering proxy like it was 2003
- stop using web browsers or JavaScript
- use some Firefox based browser

Vivaldi is the ideal browser. UI never changes, and it has a ton of built-in features, so your browser never breaks when it updates. Firefox always kept changing the ui and breaking add-ons, which broke the UI.

Is there some stable fork of Firefox with Vivaldi-like built-in features? I don’t want the UI be dependent on add-ons. Thanks!
I keep hearing this complaint but... is it really happening? I switched to FF when the OG Opera was killed off and haven't noticed any breaking changes in the last years. I'm sure it's not what it was during the Explorer browser war years but it seems like it should be working for normies as well as Chrome at least.

I do have Vivaldi installed but the UI feels laggy somehow despite Chrome supposedly being faster, so I stick to FF even on my N5100 laptop.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Vivaldi’s UI is written with JavaScript I think, and JavaScript feels laggy, so it is what it is.

Manifest v3 breaks proper adblocking so effectively adblocking gets axed from chromium. Apparently proxy based filters won’t work either because all webpages use https these days? So it’s harder to MITM that. I remember using several proxy based blockers back in the day, but “no one” used https back then.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

There was one huge change in how addons worked that broke a huge number of them that weren't adapted to the new system, but that was a long time ago now.

UI changes... yeah. There's a slow but seemingly constant stream of those, constantly chasing chrome and edge, as if they were something to aspire to. Pity, but it's the price of entry I guess.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I imagine that Brave will become a lot more popular next year as its built-in adblocker should be unaffected by manifest v3 as they don't even use that API for it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBOL-home/wiki/Frequently-asked-questions-(FAQ)#filtering-capabilities-which-cant-be-ported-to-mv3
give it a month or so after MV2 gets disabled and i'm sure some adtech company will find something in here that makes their ads impossible/extremely inconvenient to block

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So even UI extensions with Firefox mostly work and are stable today, but the actual browser UI is still changing bit by bit?

Is there some fork of Firefox with more stable ui? Waterfox, LibreWolf, something else? I am looking for the “Debian” of browsers, if manifest2 really dies in Chromium.

I like comfort over change. I don’t like change which happens because someone just wants to justify their continued employment.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 2, 2023

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The UI of Firefox has a minor change every year or two. Its nothing too big. And besides, you do have the ability to create a userchrome.css file to adjust how the browser looks yourself. That's more than most Chromium browsers allow.

On the topic of uBO Lite, the major downsides that the FAQ doesn't adequately explain in simple wording is that you lose the ability to create dynamic filters. That means that not only do you lose the element picker / element zapper ability, but you also lose the ability to have blocklist updates. You know that whole war between uBO and YouTube's anti-ad-block? That won't be possible anymore as you will only be able to get filter list updates via updates to the whole addon itself.

I don't know what uBO Lite's filter situation is going to be like. Will they automatically package up a new version and submit it to Google daily? How long will it take for the addon to pass verification? You are probably always going to be running 2+ day old filter lists.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I read this article about update speed in future, and in worst case providing an updated blocklist can take weeks. In any case it will stop the cat and mouse game between ublock and YouTube.

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/12/chromes-next-weapon-in-the-war-on-ad-blockers-slower-extension-updates/

I guess I have to try to survive with the Firefox ui changes as the lesser evil.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

- Vivaldi is the ideal browser.

Vivaldi is going to keep manifest v2 active in their codebase even after google disables it in chrome/chromium. (Opera and Brave will be joining them in this, so all 3 of the indie chromium browsers will be working together.)

The question will be, how much effort will it take to keep it working & undo google's changes? They don't know, because they don't know what google will be doing to the code. But they're gonna try.

IMO there are reasons to think they will be successful. The chromium codebase, from everything I've ever heard people say, is very organized and modular. I feel like google would have to go out of their way to sabotage things... which is something they very well might do, but not right away at least.

So if I used Vivaldi as my main browser, I would just sit tight and keep using it, while checking in occasionally to their blog to see how things are going.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I imagine that Brave will become a lot more popular next year as its built-in adblocker should be unaffected by manifest v3 as they don't even use that API for it.

Vivaldi also has an internal adblocker. I'm pretty sure the only difference is that vivaldi by default only has easylist turned on, which is the "less aggressive, don't break sites" list. You can make vivaldi equally effective as brave if you add good filters.

But if you are a skilled UBO user, there is no comparison. The problems with both brave and vivaldi compared to UBO:
* no script blocking
* the only per-site UI is "on or off"

Running aggressive filters means you get broken sites sometimes, and with UBO you can usually un-break them without having to totally disable blocking. 3rd party script blocking in UBO is amazing but even more fiddly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Klyith posted:

Vivaldi is going to keep manifest v2 active in their codebase even after google disables it in chrome/chromium. (Opera and Brave will be joining them in this, so all 3 of the indie chromium browsers will be working together.)

The question will be, how much effort will it take to keep it working & undo google's changes? They don't know, because they don't know what google will be doing to the code. But they're gonna try.

IMO there are reasons to think they will be successful. The chromium codebase, from everything I've ever heard people say, is very organized and modular. I feel like google would have to go out of their way to sabotage things... which is something they very well might do, but not right away at least.

So if I used Vivaldi as my main browser, I would just sit tight and keep using it, while checking in occasionally to their blog to see how things are going.

Vivaldi also has an internal adblocker. I'm pretty sure the only difference is that vivaldi by default only has easylist turned on, which is the "less aggressive, don't break sites" list. You can make vivaldi equally effective as brave if you add good filters.

But if you are a skilled UBO user, there is no comparison. The problems with both brave and vivaldi compared to UBO:
* no script blocking
* the only per-site UI is "on or off"

Running aggressive filters means you get broken sites sometimes, and with UBO you can usually un-break them without having to totally disable blocking. 3rd party script blocking in UBO is amazing but even more fiddly.

I don't know about Vivaldi, since Brave is my choice of a Chromium backup, but you can absolutely block scripts with the built-in Brave blocker. I use it to block JavaScript subscribe nags on news sites.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just switched back from chrome after many years and spent about a week getting things in order the way I liked them. Only two things left that are bothering me:

1) Whenever I click on anything that isn't the inner tab area or a button/textbox, the window drags. This is even happening with the spaces between buttons on the bookmark bar and even in the single pixel between tabs. Basically I would like the window to not be draggable anywhere except like, the top left corner. When I search for solutions I just get stuff about disabling dragging tabs between windows, not the window itself. I like to have my main browser window pinned to the right ~2/3 of one screen (using the windows pinning feature) and it gets unpinned if I even so much as look at the bookmark or tab bars.

2) Themes apparently can't use the windows accent color, so the browser is always mismatched from the rest of windows. This isn't really that important to fix but thought I'd throw this in here if anyone knew how to get this back.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBOL-home/wiki/Frequently-asked-questions-(FAQ)#filtering-capabilities-which-cant-be-ported-to-mv3
give it a month or so after MV2 gets disabled and i'm sure some adtech company will find something in here that makes their ads impossible/extremely inconvenient to block
Google, the worlds biggest adtech company, will be the first company to exploit this - they're deliberately killing WebRequests to be able to have their adtech work better.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I use Firefox Colour for themes and it's great. I got fed up of Firefox changing to light mode or whatever when updating and it solved that, worth looking into for themes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Xerol posted:

Just switched back from chrome after many years and spent about a week getting things in order the way I liked them. Only two things left that are bothering me:

1) Whenever I click on anything that isn't the inner tab area or a button/textbox, the window drags. This is even happening with the spaces between buttons on the bookmark bar and even in the single pixel between tabs. Basically I would like the window to not be draggable anywhere except like, the top left corner. When I search for solutions I just get stuff about disabling dragging tabs between windows, not the window itself. I like to have my main browser window pinned to the right ~2/3 of one screen (using the windows pinning feature) and it gets unpinned if I even so much as look at the bookmark or tab bars.

2) Themes apparently can't use the windows accent color, so the browser is always mismatched from the rest of windows. This isn't really that important to fix but thought I'd throw this in here if anyone knew how to get this back.

for 1, you can turn the title bar back on by right clicking in the toolbar area and > Customize Toolbar > check the "Title bar" option.

(Personally, I hate apps that remove the titlebar. I also hate how loving huge title bars are in Windows these days.)

You can also use an app like AltSnap to temporarily disable a window from being moved at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a login site with my login name and password saved, but the autofill only let's me fill in my password, not my login name. Is there any way to fix this?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I had this happen a couple times. You'll need to remove the site from the saved logins and redo it.

Under Settings, Privacy & Security, Logins & Passwords, Saved Logins.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I have a login site with my login name and password saved, but the autofill only let's me fill in my password, not my login name. Is there any way to fix this?
Do be aware that any autofill (including the one in Firefox) can be exploited to leak your username and password.

I recommend everyone disable autofill and make sure to set a primary password (as this also encrypts the files on-disk when Firefox isn't open).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I had this happen a couple times. You'll need to remove the site from the saved logins and redo it.

Under Settings, Privacy & Security, Logins & Passwords, Saved Logins.

edit: didn't fix it for some reason

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 8, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sites have to identify the username and password field correctly for browsers to know what to autofill in them, the site might not be doing it right. Or in some Chromium way that Firefox doesn't recognize.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Some sites do username and password in a multi-stage process across separate pages, Firefox can remember the password but not the username in those cases. You can manually edit the entry to add the username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Some sites do username and password in a multi-stage process across separate pages, Firefox can remember the password but not the username in those cases. You can manually edit the entry to add the username.

I did fill in the username but it doesn't let me select it still. oh well.