Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Computer will currently turn on. Case fans run, CPU fan runs, power light turns on, but frustratingly no signal from the PC to a monitor from either the GPU or the integrated graphics port. Tried on two different monitors on HDMI.

Two lights will turn on on the graphics card above the PCI pins if the PCI cables aren't connected, turn off when they are.

Reseated the PSU cables except for the motherboard cable plugged into the PSU because I actually can't get it out. It's stuck as hell. Probably gonna let it sit for the night and try more poo poo tomorrow but fingers crossed I didn't really gently caress it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

Computer will currently turn on. Case fans run, CPU fan runs, power light turns on, but frustratingly no signal from the PC to a monitor from either the GPU or the integrated graphics port. Tried on two different monitors on HDMI.

Two lights will turn on on the graphics card above the PCI pins if the PCI cables aren't connected, turn off when they are.

Reseated the PSU cables except for the motherboard cable plugged into the PSU because I actually can't get it out. It's stuck as hell. Probably gonna let it sit for the night and try more poo poo tomorrow but fingers crossed I didn't really gently caress it at some point.

Maybe a dumb question, but asking because we sometimes overlook small details: your monitor is on and set to the correct input, right?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Managed to get to microcenter fast enough and they were nice enough to let me swap it out.
Back home and windows installing. All good now!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

Did you plug the cpu power plug into the motherboard?

Not the 24 pin, but the additional 4 or 8 pin near the CPU?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SalTheBard posted:

Here is what I ended up getting for Black Friday:

PCPartPicker Part List

(I want to be clear Microcenter only had one 4090 in stock and it was not nearly close to the price listed so the total price is very skewed).

So, pretty similar to my build, just with a rizzed-out motherboard and GPU and a PSU to match. I'm a little skeptical of a single-stack cooler keeping up with a 7800X3D in the same case as a 4090, but if it works, it works.

Also congratulations on getting what is probably one of the last sane prices for a 4090 that will exist in America for a long time.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

spunkshui posted:

Did you plug the cpu power plug into the motherboard?

Not the 24 pin, but the additional 4 or 8 pin near the CPU?

if you mean these,

no, no i did not lol

in a weird way, "is the power on?" is somehow the correct question. i literally just forgot to plug the thing in.

i spent like, nine hours on this. i always sucked at making lego sets so i guess it fits

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
It's always something. :v:

Note that strictly, only the 8-pin needs to be plugged in for the CPU to boot; the 4-pin is generally for additional current to overclock if you need it. It's ideal to have both plugged in, but if you don't have the cable for it on your PSU, you can leave the 4-pin unplugged.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Are there 12V Only power supplies on the market yet? I'm seeing more and more boards that don't have the big ATX 24 pin connector at all, like this:

This specific board is powered by 2 of those CPU 8-pin connectors. It has a 4-pin output for powering a SATA disk if you need it. The review notes that it comes with an adapter to allow it to work with an ATX power supply, but what power supply are this (and several other) new boards actually being designed to work with?

The board in question:
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=AM5D4ID-2T/BCM
A review: https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-am5d4id-2t-bcm-review-an-awesome-amd-ryzen-server-motherboard-broadcom/

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

if you mean these,

no, no i did not lol

in a weird way, "is the power on?" is somehow the correct question. i literally just forgot to plug the thing in.

i spent like, nine hours on this. i always sucked at making lego sets so i guess it fits

I only know those exact symptoms because my first build was dead in the water for 24 hours until my buddy could come over and laugh at me.

I read a "4 pin" was for a floppy drive.

It is, but its a totally different shape.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

spunkshui posted:

I only know those exact symptoms because my first build was dead in the water for 24 hours until my buddy could come over and laugh at me.

I read a "4 pin" was for a floppy drive.

It is, but its a totally different shape.

Ah, the days of molex-to-Berg. How we do not miss you. (I was shocked that my shiny new RM750e actually included a molex cable; I guess it's mostly RGBs that use them now?)

Things have gotten very muddled with the advent of multiple types of 12v plugs for both GPUs and CPUs in recent years, though. GPUs can require 8 pins, or 8+4 pins, or proprietary connectors that are a fire hazard, and it's easy to understand why it all gets very confusing, especially to people who've been out of the game for a long time or don't have free time to research all the changes over the past decade or so. I can definitely see people missing the CPU connector because of confusion about "4-pin" and seeing that molex connectors don't fit, so it must be something else right???

Edit: Just as a reminder, though, PCPartPicker will actually include a wiring checklist of what needs to go where for the CPU to boot. It's under the initial list and the slot checker; you have to scroll down a bit for it, but it's very handy for making sure you've got everything plugged in the way you need to. As an example: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8CQfFs scroll down to "Power Supply Connector Usage" and it'll have the full wiring checklist this build needs.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 1, 2023

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SpaceDrake posted:

Also congratulations on getting what is probably one of the last sane prices for a 4090 that will exist in America for a long time.

I feel very lucky. It was very close in price to the MSRP of a 4090 FE and has a 240 radiator. I was the 2nd person in the store on Black Friday.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Ah, the days of molex-to-Berg. How we do not miss you. (I was shocked that my shiny new RM750e actually included a molex cable; I guess it's mostly RGBs that use them now?)

Corsair has been using a lot of SATA.

Well until they came out with the PCI-E 6 pin hub using 168 watts of power :science:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1939045/hands-on-with-icue-link-corsairs-one-cable-to-rule-them-all.html

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

As a little sales note, the ASRock B650M Pro RS, which has been the absolute smash sales hit of Newegg all month for anything AM5-based and basically doesn't exist on Amazon, has had its status updated on Newegg from "totally out of stock" back to "taking back-orders for when we get a new shipment on Dec. 8". And it's still at its "discount" price, just in case anyone was thinking of snagging one for their AM5-based builds.

Newegg's combo builder, meanwhile, is now pairing 7800X3Ds with overpriced ASUS boards that Newegg can't seem to flog off on people for love or money, thanks to ASUS managing to tank their reputation in impressive ways over the past year (which is probably overblown by Gamers™, but there's still no way in hell I'd pay that much for those over-engineered, over-blinged Strix boards).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I ended up going with a set of Kingston 6400 that is listed by Asus at 32-39-39-80 timings. It cost a bit more but I upgrade very rarely and really would prefer that it "just work".

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I ended up going with a set of Kingston 6400 that is listed by Asus at 32-39-39-80 timings. It cost a bit more but I upgrade very rarely and really would prefer that it "just work".

It's very unlikely to just work at 6400, make sure to stability test and if it is unstable to drop down to 6200.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I got all my parts and built my machine last night and just wanted to say thanks for the advice from the folks in thread, much appreciated!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

alright we're back at it. got the power cable plugged in and it boots to bios! however it doesn't detect the gpu as far as i can tell at the gpu hdmi has no output. hmmmmmmm

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Got all the new poo poo today :sun:

7800X3D, Asus B650-ProCREATOR, 2x48GB DDR5-6400 CL32 ram.

PBO enabled, RAM at DDR5-6000 CL32 (after BIOS update), it hits over 18000 in Cinebench R23.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

oh poo poo. i switched the graphics card to the second pci4 slot and it spins right up

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

oh poo poo. i switched the graphics card to the second pci4 slot and it spins right up

So not the metal-outlined PCIe slot, but the next one down? Wonder if you need to change the configuration for that first PCIe slot.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

So not the metal-outlined PCIe slot, but the next one down? Wonder if you need to change the configuration for that first PCIe slot.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/PRIME_Z790-P_WIFI/E20425_PRIME_Z790-P_WIFI_UM_WEB.pdf

yeah the one with the metal on it doesn't recognize the card. in the manual the one labeled PCIEX16 doesn't work but PCIEX16(G4)_1 works just fine

so what does it mean to change the configuration of the pcie slot, is that just something to swap in a dropdown menu on the bios?

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 1, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Yeah it'd be something in the BIOS, see if there's an option to change the main PCIe slot from PCIe 5 to 4 since there might be a conflict there

Worth noting that the other PCIe x16 slots on that board are only wired as x4

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

Yeah it'd be something in the BIOS, see if there's an option to change the main PCIe slot from PCIe 5 to 4 since there might be a conflict there

Worth noting that the other PCIe x16 slots on that board are only wired as x4

the drop downs are Gen1-Gen3 for PCIEX1(G3) Link Speed, and Gen1-Gen4 for the rest. I'm assuming I just swap it to Gen 4 for all of em and see what happens?

actually wait, i don't see the primary pcie slot PCIEX16 in the bios at

i also don't see m2.1 in here, which is weird since the ssd in that slot is recognized and seems to be working. maybe this is the wrong spot

gonna try updating the bios

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 2, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That PCIe slot and the main m.2 position are directly connected to the CPU and don't go through the platform controller hub:

A bios update would be a good idea, as well as installing both Intel's and Nvidia's latest drivers. I can't find a good definitive answer for whether or not you need a special firmware update tool for either.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Which graphics card is it exactly? Your board gives an oddly very limited amount of supported video cards. Also depending on the card it may not matter at all which slot you shove it in.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I'll update when windows installs and i can actually check how things are running, but updating the bios let the graphics card actually work in the x16 slot! got hdmi and dp out, and the fans are spinnin just fine. fingers crossed on this

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So my current desktop is an i7-3770K from the stone age. The only things I really use it for are web browsing, usenet automation, and a Plex server. It's been just fine, but I have to limit my Plex library to 1080P since it chokes hard on 4K transcoding.
I honestly don't really follow PC hardware much anymore since I typically game with my bros on PS5 and haven't had a real need to upgrade.

That being said, I got a Intel NUC13 (RNUC13RNGI70001) with an i7-13700K CPU for $800 via my company discount. I picked up a Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB NVMe SSD (SFYRD/2000G) for $115. When I logged on, I had 15 minutes before the cyber week sale ended, so I just smashed order before everything went back to regular price. I've got a gaggle of kids and next to no free time, so buying an all-in-one system instead of piecing it together was a advantage for me, hence the NUC.

Upon further review, the board takes DDR5 SODIMMs. It looks like the chipset supports 64GB, so should I just go ahead and max it out, or would 32 be enough for my usage model? I've got 32GB in my almost decade-old Ivy Bridge, so I'm leaning toward 64.

If I did decide that I wanted to game, I can get an Arc A750 for $199 (bet you can't guess who I work for :)). I do see it's currently $179 on Amazon though. I know those had issues for a while, but are they ok, or should I steer clear? Are Nvidia cards still stupidly expensive because of crypto and Covid, or have they actually returned back down to normal-ish prices? I assume getting a PCIe video card would help with the Plex transcoding as well?

Or do NUCs suck rear end for some reason I'm not seeing and should I cancel the order and just build something else?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

my first post from the new computer and just wanted to say thanks for all the help putting this computer together from the what to buy stage to the assembly stage, was a huge help and would have been way messier without it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So my current desktop is an i7-3770K from the stone age. The only things I really use it for are web browsing, usenet automation, and a Plex server. It's been just fine, but I have to limit my Plex library to 1080P since it chokes hard on 4K transcoding.
I honestly don't really follow PC hardware much anymore since I typically game with my bros on PS5 and haven't had a real need to upgrade.

That being said, I got a Intel NUC13 (RNUC13RNGI70001) with an i7-13700K CPU for $800 via my company discount. I picked up a Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB NVMe SSD (SFYRD/2000G) for $115. When I logged on, I had 15 minutes before the cyber week sale ended, so I just smashed order before everything went back to regular price. I've got a gaggle of kids and next to no free time, so buying an all-in-one system instead of piecing it together was a advantage for me, hence the NUC.

Upon further review, the board takes DDR5 SODIMMs. It looks like the chipset supports 64GB, so should I just go ahead and max it out, or would 32 be enough for my usage model? I've got 32GB in my almost decade-old Ivy Bridge, so I'm leaning toward 64.

Some other goons with more experience can chime in, but if you're trying to do 4k transcodes, that's a use case where 64GB would be helpful, I think. I would go ahead and max it out, although SODIMM latency for DDR5 is comparatively wretched with the current kits. Why yes, I do love nearly every option having CAS latency of 40 or higher and typical FWL being 16.67ns or higher. :suicide: It's not the worst thing in the world, but it feels a bit bleh after standard desktops having better options, especially since you're using it for a task where the RAM latency actually would crop up a bit, performance-wise.

quote:

If I did decide that I wanted to game, I can get an Arc A750 for $199 (bet you can't guess who I work for :)). I do see it's currently $179 on Amazon though. I know those had issues for a while, but are they ok, or should I steer clear? Are Nvidia cards still stupidly expensive because of crypto and Covid, or have they actually returned back down to normal-ish prices? I assume getting a PCIe video card would help with the Plex transcoding as well?

I know Nvidia has hardware support for transcoding, and I'm pretty drat sure Radeons and Arcs do, too. So it would help, though you don't need a 4080 or some poo poo for it. The 750 and 770 have also gotten their drivers cleaned up a lot, and are far more usable now in modern games. The real problem is DX9 and earlier support right now, thanks in part to the emulation layer they're using. TLDR, it'd be a good pickup, and the 770 also has 16GB of VRAM. The only reason it doesn't pop up in the thread a lot is those compatibility issues making most posters a bit hesitant to recommend them, especially to folks looking to potentially game broadly.

sugar free jazz posted:

my first post from the new computer and just wanted to say thanks for all the help putting this computer together from the what to buy stage to the assembly stage, was a huge help and would have been way messier without it.

:toot: Let us know if there are other problems! And grats on New PC Time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you only care about transcoding, even the A350 GPU from Intel is good enough for that. It can even do AV1 encoding, which you would need a 4000 series Nvidia or 7000 series AMD GPU to do.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
As somebody else who works at the same company as you, I can say that the NUCs have been the right form factor for casual and slightly harder core use. They are nice little boys and girls you can pick up in you thumb and finger and carry around. I actually used a previous generation as my work computer and could compile Linux kernels on it and do other stuff simultaneously.

I would get all the RAM especially if you are letting it run background stuff.

You.are limited on video card size. I think the newest one enlarged it, but I thought it was insufficient for updated personal use and I am going all the way back to mini towers.

They made this ragey gamer skull thing the mascot of the NUC I am using and I can tell you I want to get a little punchy when I can't boot it (kernels and Nvidia drivers) and I keep having to stare at that on my monitor when I reboot.

I noticed some type-C initialization inconsistency in Linux and had to keep a cornucopia of drivers loaded in the initrd. This seems like a crazy place to optimize, but an Nvidia driver release blew up the initrd size larger than allowed. I don't know how it comes with Windows. Probably better because, well, you know.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Similar question to above, I’d like to build a Plex box and maybe a NAS setup like TrueNAS or OMV.

Trying to figure out a good mobi/CPU setup that would accommodate a lot of SATA HDDs and a nvme drive for OS/encoding work. Iran into problems with my 8700k’s mobo where I couldn’t get the SATA drives to work when an nvme drive was installed. I know that era had trouble with combining the two so I’m interested in a setup that can let me throw a bunch of SATA HDDs in as well as support nvme at the same time.

I have a GeForce 1080 for hardware encoding, if that matters

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You will likely want an LSI HBA that goes into a pcie slot and lets you connect 8+ sata drives to it, tbh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thank you for the input!
I think I'm going to max it out at 64 and snag an Arc A750. The cheapest A770 I could find and it's an AsRock for $330. Is it worth an extra $130 to get 16GB?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 2, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Kibner posted:

You will likely want an LSI HBA that goes into a pcie slot and lets you connect 8+ sata drives to it, tbh.

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this. Thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Thank you for the input!
I think I'm going to max it out at 64 and snag an Arc A750. The cheapest A770 I could find and it's an AsRock for $330. Is it worth an extra $130 to get 16GB?

If you want to use the card in gaming for a long time and continue to use higher quality textures, yes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One other reason I have been fussing over video cards is because I think I would need a higher RAM one, but that is my situation. I play a lot of modded stuff, and you can't trust RAM to be well-managed there. I also started doing 3d game modeling and coding stuff so the RAM-eating idiot is me.

I have read compelling arguments that 8GB will be enough for some years to come due to companies having to target consoles and that pressure puts them under 8GB anyways. The counterpoint is PC gaming going into higher resolutions where you'd need bigger textures to have it look okay.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have read compelling arguments that 8GB will be enough for some years to come due to companies having to target consoles and that pressure puts them under 8GB anyways. The counterpoint is PC gaming going into higher resolutions where you'd need bigger textures to have it look okay.

The Xbox X has 10GB of VRAM, the PS5 has about 12GB worth of VRAM in practice, and the Switch 2 is launching within the next year with 12GB of unified RAM, I think that even if 8GB of VRAM is survivable it won't be comfortable given that we have already seen powerful 8GB GPUs like the 4060 Ti or 3070 Ti fall flat on their faces because they're out of RAM, not performance.

You know what has the right amount of VRAM? The 1080 Ti, with 11GB.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 2, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kibner posted:

If you want to use the card in gaming for a long time and continue to use higher quality textures, yes.

Right on.

Ordered the A770 Arc, 64GB DDR5, and an LG 27GP850-B monitor.

Thanks for the help y’all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Welp, the final parts of my build have arrived, and thus it is time to see what kind of new and inventive ways I can come up with to burn my house down or slag a thousand dollars of computing equipment after a month of anticipation. :toot:

Wish me luck, thread.