Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kaboomle so much better than Fireball

The Japanese name for Kaboomle is "Io Grande". There's some argument over where "Io" comes from but it's either a pun on "Ionize" or a reference to Io, the moon of Jupiter which is known for its constant volcanic activity, or both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the only idiosyncratic spell names that trip me up are phantasy star's. something about their brevity gets them all tangled up in my head

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where my Turok 3 peeps at!!!

sup.

it out? i forgot the release date

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the only idiosyncratic spell names that trip me up are phantasy star's. something about their brevity gets them all tangled up in my head

Phantasy Star's stuff is loving insane because half of it is words from another non-Japanese language mushed together and some weird translations have stuck.

Like how Barta stuck as the Water spell, likely because it's not water (as in an English speak would use it) but water as a Dutch speaker would.

I know my brain sticks on that because I go "Well, if it was supposed to be Water wouldn't it just be Water" because I am a stupid self-centered American.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 1, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I like when games have their own internal logic of component bits with meaning that get combined together to make the spell names. (Wizardry, Ultima, Megami Tensei, etc). Great for vibes, and it's cool when you start recognizing the structure and can kind of guess at what "Lomilwa" or "Vas Corp" or "Mabufula" do just from the name.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I only mix up the SMT buff spells Matarukaja and Makakaja etc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

I like when games have their own internal logic of component bits with meaning that get combined together to make the spell names. (Wizardry, Ultima, Megami Tensei, etc). Great for vibes, and it's cool when you start recognizing the structure and can kind of guess at what "Lomilwa" or "Vas Corp" or "Mabufula" do just from the name.

There's actually an obscure SNES Squaresoft game called Treasure of Rudras whose magic system was entirely this. You got various spell parts and combined them into spells.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There's actually an obscure SNES Squaresoft game called Treasure of Rudras whose magic system was entirely this. You got various spell parts and combined them into spells.

not only that, the entire magic system was based on words that you typed in yourself. apparently it took a poo poo ton of work for the fan translators to make this work in english, to the point where they basically had to rewrite the entire thing from top to bottom

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Snake Maze posted:

For some reason, the elemental spells like Mabufula and such, I get just fine. But I cannot for the life of me keep track of what a Sukukaja and other buff/debuff spells do!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Snake Maze posted:

Been a while but wasn't Eternal Darkness' magic like this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I wonder if we'll get a Rudra port/remake eventually since it's one of the few Square games to still not have an English release at this point, along with Bahamut Lagoon and...I don't know, that very problematic Tom Sawyer game?

My mind is still blown that the Switch has ports/remakes of the Romancing SaGa trilogy, Trials of Mana, and motherfucking Live-A-Live.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

KingSlime posted:

DQM very early trip report

Performance isn't improved from what we saw in the demo but it is better than S/V and if you can stomach that or the 3ds DQM games you'll be fine. The visuals are a (small) step up from the 3ds games and monster models are done rather well with nice little touches to their animations.

I barely did the tutorial area but it's insanely addicting as always to scout as many mons as you can see, and the seasons changing th available mobs is gonna be fun I think.

Can't speak for much past the first hour or whether the game will be any challenging but I'll probably end up loving this just because collecting classic DQ monsters is fun.

This is the only trip report I've been able to find, glad to hear it seems at least good at a minimum

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I feel like the performance at least in handheld has been pretty good, and maybe better than what I remember from the demo. No big frame rate issues for me some of the areas load in a little slowly but the battles themselves are quick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I wonder if we'll get a Rudra port/remake eventually since it's one of the few Square games to still not have an English release at this point, along with Bahamut Lagoon and...I don't know, that very problematic Tom Sawyer game?

My mind is still blown that the Switch has ports/remakes of the Romancing SaGa trilogy, Trials of Mana, and motherfucking Live-A-Live.

I could see it someday but I think Rudra is generally considered not super popular. It hit in Japan well after the Super Famicom was considered 'last gen' and never quite had the cult following of Live-A-Live or Bahamut Lagoon, and I imagine S-E is always considering translating to English these days.

There's a bunch of Enix's catalog too which could be grabbed too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a bunch of Enix's catalog too which could be grabbed too.

I'm still holding out hope for the Soul Blazer trilogy, if we could get an Actraiser remake anything is possible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sally posted:

sup.

it out? i forgot the release date

It’s out and it’s fabulous

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Been a while but wasn't Eternal Darkness' magic like this

Yeah all of Eternal Darkness' magic was verb +noun +god so when you cast heal the deepest most guttural voice ever produced snarls NAROKATH SANTAK CHATTUR'GHA as runes appear around you

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

YggiDee posted:

Yeah all of Eternal Darkness' magic was verb +noun +god so when you cast heal the deepest most guttural voice ever produced snarls NAROKATH SANTAK CHATTUR'GHA as runes appear around you

And when the lich starts casting six word spells faster than you can do three, you know you're in for a fight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really know what the difference between fizz, sizz, and boom is.

I understand kasizz, kafizz, kaboom are the advanced version of each. But they all seem like fire spells to me, why are there three of those

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't really know what the difference between fizz, sizz, and boom is.

I understand kasizz, kafizz, kaboom are the advanced version of each. But they all seem like fire spells to me, why are there three of those

Frizz line is single target fire damage.
Sizz line is multi-target fire damage.
Boom is non-elemental or “bang” type damage.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Annath posted:

The first 2 DQM games were for the GBC, and were very loosely connected in that the 2nd game (which was released in 2 versions a la Pokémon) is set in the same world as the first and takes place after. The protagonist of DQM 1 is a secret final boss of DQM2. Also apparently protag of DQM1 is a side character in one of the mainline DQ games, and DQM1 is his backstory?
Dragon Quest Monsters follows young Terry in his quest to rescue his sister Milly, through the obvious route of winning the biggest monster training tournament in the land beyond the wardrobe.
Milly and Terry are both part of the eventual full party in Dragon Quest VI (i.e. perhaps one of the most "oh yeah, that one existed" entries in the main series), though no longer as small children - Milly is part of the initial party but due to story events you're separated from her for a bit. Terry doesn't join until rather later, but you do encounter him numerous times beforehand because he beats your party to a few goals and eventually has to be fought as a boss. His motivation is, in fact, wholly because he was unable to protect Milly as a child and struck out to become stronger on his own (obsessively so, as it turned out).

Neither game is really necessary to understand the other, though it is kind of amusing to think that Terry's takeaway from becoming a master monster trainer was "I shoulda been able to do all that without help!"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Oxxidation posted:

Barta sounds like watta, zonde sound like thunda, foie sounds like fiyah, boom, next

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Hogama posted:

Dragon Quest Monsters follows young Terry in his quest to rescue his sister Milly, through the obvious route of winning the biggest monster training tournament in the land beyond the wardrobe.
Milly and Terry are both part of the eventual full party in Dragon Quest VI (i.e. perhaps one of the most "oh yeah, that one existed" entries in the main series), though no longer as small children - Milly is part of the initial party but due to story events you're separated from her for a bit. Terry doesn't join until rather later, but you do encounter him numerous times beforehand because he beats your party to a few goals and eventually has to be fought as a boss. His motivation is, in fact, wholly because he was unable to protect Milly as a child and struck out to become stronger on his own (obsessively so, as it turned out).

Neither game is really necessary to understand the other, though it is kind of amusing to think that Terry's takeaway from becoming a master monster trainer was "I shoulda been able to do all that without help!"

Interesting!

Yeah, so DQM2 must take place around the time of DQ6, because if you fight Secret Boss Terry, his sprite/portrait is very clearly that of a teen/young adult rather than the ~10 year old of DQM 1.

You can also fight Adult Terry as Terry in DQM1 in one of the post-game dungeons. Interestingly, your future self fights alone, using a sword and no monsters.

It's unclear whether the future self you fight is purely a trick of Duran, or if it's a real projection of your future self conjured by Duran's magic.

Annath fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 2, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

YggiDee posted:

God that game owned.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SereneCrimson posted:

Frizz line is single target fire damage.
Sizz line is multi-target fire damage.
Boom is non-elemental or “bang” type damage.

Ah ok. In the anime I guess this is less clear

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Cartoon Man posted:

God that game owned.

'Skeleton in roman centurion armour' is such a top tier spooky guy design. Pyramid Head is too overexposed, it's Pious' time to come back.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I loved the stage where you’re a dude slowly turning into a zombie as the stage progresses until the end where you’re shambling abound and can barely move. Then in a time skip future level you have to fight that guy as like a mini boss. Ugh would love a remaster or sequel but it’s never going to happen cause the franchise is in IP hell and nobody knows who really owns it anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cartoon Man posted:

God that game owned.

Can someone remind me why? I only remember the sanity effects which were neat but were also very "been there, done that" once you experienced a given effect more than once or twice.

I don't remember much, just running around a mansion as Alex.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Cartoon Man posted:

I loved the stage where you’re a dude slowly turning into a zombie as the stage progresses until the end where you’re shambling abound and can barely move. Then in a time skip future level you have to fight that guy as like a mini boss. Ugh would love a remaster or sequel but it’s never going to happen cause the franchise is in IP hell and nobody knows who really owns it anymore.

Nintendo renewed the CW a few years ago which means they renewed the CW

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Silicone Knights doesn't exist anymore, so maybe Nintendo can find the source code behind their couch or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can someone remind me why? I only remember the sanity effects which were neat but were also very "been there, done that" once you experienced a given effect more than once or twice.

I don't remember much, just running around a mansion as Alex.

The sanity effects were a nice dressing but the game was all about a very Lovecraftian plot where anyone you played was as likely to perish at the end of their story as not, and the whole reason for their actions and plot is revealed to you later as an Eldritch counter-plot clicks into place.

It has cool targetted combat that makes battles tactical, as you can chop off something's parts to affect it somehow but you have to know what, and if it's worth it. I think there was a variety of enemy that got more dangerous if decapitated, for example?

And the magic system, as mentioned, was a cool modular thing that was not particularly complicated but allowed for creativity and choice - you could make a spell even stronger, but that would take more time to cast and can you really afford that while a creature that has just burst out of a man's skin suit is coming towards you?

It all came together as a perfect game of Eldritch horror that hasn't really been replicated since.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

And there were a number of eldritch gods whose powers all had their own element. So enemies, as well as your spells, worked on a rock-paper-scissors system where one's powers overrode another. If you used the wrong type for your attack it wouldn't do as much damage, or your summoned creature would lose the fight, etc. And different versions of the same enemy had different features depending on their element! So while most basic zombies could be defeated easily by cutting off their heads, the Xel'lotath ones weren't phased, they just grew a protoplasm head and kept coming after you.

My favorite character was Dr. Edwin Lindsey, the archaeologist. Basically every other protagonist in the game ends up getting killed horribly -- their bones used to guard artifacts, built into the nightmare tower, crushed by the avatar of a god, etc. But not Dr. Edwin. That nerdier, beardier Indiana Jones delves into the tomb of the REALLY evil, imprisoned god who turns out to be behind everything and recovers its heart, responds to all of Pius Augustus's menace with pulpy, quippy comebacks, blasts winged skeleton nightmares with his shotgun, and then - if I recall correctly, he is the ONLY one to do this -- simply surrenders the tome of eternal darkness and the heart of Mantorok, goes about the rest of his life and becomes a best-selling author of adventure novels based on his exploits.

At the end of the game, when all the ghosts of the people who have fought off the encroaching darkness throughout history work together to stop the invasion of the evil cosmic deities, Dr. Edwin doesn't join them, presumably because he is at home making love to his wife. The story doesn't make a big deal of it, but I love that this one guy just shrugs it all off.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Eternal Darkness was a really novel game. Edward's posthumous narration was a lot of fun with how it references occult texts and other bits of psychology. The bestiary is written by Max and you can get his lunatic ravings on every monster in it, which is different for every variation of them! The psuedo-historical accuracy of each level was a lot of fun to investigate. Lots of flavor text on stuff around each level which is suitably verbose and creepy. Games kinda started to get away from this type of verbosity and I kinda miss being able to examine everything everywhere to get the character's thoughts on it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Maximillian Roivas was voiced by Porkins himself. May the rats eat your eyes!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

OT for tomorrow got canceled and I'm gonna celebrate by staying up way too late and playing my Nintendo Switch!

i am also neglecting my sleep hygiene and im playing mario wonder and getting high it rules

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maximillian Roivas was voiced by Porkins himself. May the rats eat your eyes!

Xel'lotath is voiced by 2 VAs, one of which is Jennifer Hale! (FemShep from Mass Effect)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i am also neglecting my sleep hygiene and im playing mario wonder and getting high it rules

Yeah my Saturday so far too. I got 8 days left of work this year and then a 3 week stretch of just weed and video games, gonna be tight

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
NAROKATH PARGON SANTAK ULYATH PARGON PARGON PARGON

Morpheus posted:

I think there was a variety of enemy that got more dangerous if decapitated, for example?

feetnotes posted:

So while most basic zombies could be defeated easily by cutting off their heads, the Xel'lotath ones weren't phased, they just grew a protoplasm head and kept coming after you.

Yeah iirc when those guys grew their heads back (after you targeted their heads and cut them off), your character would take sanity damage!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It also had an awesome soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNdpx2wfx2c

There was a common motif between stages, it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The progression was cool too, basically there were 4(?) main areas, and in each chapter you would revisit one of them as a person from a different point in history. So you'd see how the plot and the location itself changed over centuries as the Eldritch gods plans were unfolding.

Like one location was a cathedral which you visited first as a messenger for Charlemagne, then as a 15th century monk, and finally as a war reporter during WWI while the cathedral is being used as a field hospital for wounded soldiers. It's a really fun system.