Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I don’t think I mind the third meter, but I haven’t figured out: why?

Whatever other issues games like Subnautica, Breathedge, and Raft have, the need for oxygen requires different behavior from food and water. I don’t think the game would be better tethering you to an oxygen supply, but I can’t see what it adds unless some of the later maps do have a scarcity of oxite.

I can imagine mission maps where oxite scarcity adds a secondary pressure to the main timeline. I could imagine scarcity also being a concern in open world snow or desert biome (haven’t been there yet) as being a non-renewable resource unlike food/water forces you to move on or thump resources nodes back to life. From what I’ve seen so far from early content it’s as vestigial as an appendix. I’m not ruling it becoming more impactful as the game goes on but the usual arc of survival has resources becoming more trivial as you go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Currently playing Obenseuer where I have so many needs including
Food
Water
Smoke
Dont poo poo your pants
Shrooms
Alcohol

Desperately trying to figure out how to craft a toilet before I poo poo myself or maybe I should just wait in a public area while it happens.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Desperately trying to figure out how to craft a toilet before I poo poo myself or maybe I should just wait in a public area while it happens.

Make sure to update your poop map when you do and you will be ready to campaign for political office in some future Streets of Rogue/American politics expansion.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

Food
Water
Smoke
Dont poo poo your pants
Shrooms
Alcohol

I kinda love just how much bullshit can be wrong with you at once in Obenseuer. And they're planning on adding a tempature mechanic, so we'll eventually have a temperature need as well.

I've poo poo myself to death by eating a massive amount of sugar-free gummie bears, that was an amazing suprise interaction. Just scarfing down whatevers in my inventory from my burglary antics and pay'd the price.

As for crafting a toilet, you'll need to find the recipie, and buy a plastic lawn chair and a bucket from the furniture guy, then assemble them on a crafting spot, there's one in the renovation place you can use. If you upgrade your apartment's bathroom through the renovations menu you'll also get a free one. There's also a portajohn outside your tenement (filled with shrooms), one by the quickie, and a making GBS threads spot on the dock behind your tenement for public toilets, tho you can poo poo in any toilet you find.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I don't know! I just find myself really relishing the early game in a lot of the survival genre because sometimes that's the only part of the game that feels like you're really surviving.

Interesting, I find that I mostly enjoy the early game survival when it’s more difficult as well. I don’t know that I’ve ever really played a game that got harder as you go. If it’s that cuboid pack you’re talking about I’ll have to check it out.

It’s basically what I like about doing missions in Icarus instead of open world. When you first drop in and have to be careful and use some wits and be careful to avoid the danger until you get settled.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VegasGoat posted:

Interesting, I find that I mostly enjoy the early game survival when it’s more difficult as well. I don’t know that I’ve ever really played a game that got harder as you go. If it’s that cuboid pack you’re talking about I’ll have to check it out.

It’s basically what I like about doing missions in Icarus instead of open world. When you first drop in and have to be careful and use some wits and be careful to avoid the danger until you get settled.
Yeah, Cuboid Outpost is the modpack. It's really just a progressive tech grind like most skyblock maps so I wouldn't say it's ever hard to survive, I was just struck by the idea of stripping away a player's starting gifts as a means to change the difficulty curve on survival games, which normally go the opposite way.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

VegasGoat posted:

Ideally that would be what this kind of game is, replaying the interesting initial part of getting sorted over and over again for fun and profit. It would greatly benefit from a more complex and responsive interstitial segment. Like, the first time I landed I loaded up a bunch of stuff in the shuttle because "Well obviously I'll be able to like, sell resources and poo poo. Why else would the drop pod have an inventory?"

LOL nope.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spanish Matlock posted:

Ideally that would be what this kind of game is, replaying the interesting initial part of getting sorted over and over again for fun and profit. It would greatly benefit from a more complex and responsive interstitial segment. Like, the first time I landed I loaded up a bunch of stuff in the shuttle because "Well obviously I'll be able to like, sell resources and poo poo. Why else would the drop pod have an inventory?"

LOL nope.
Wait what is the inventory for then?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

Wait what is the inventory for then?

I literally don't know. I loaded it up with a bunch of crap and got precisely nothing for it on leaving.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

It's been a few months but I am pretty sure there were some missions to bring back crap (hides, meat, etc) that had to be loaded into that rocket.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also while I’ve been a huge Obenseuer fan and promoter, I couldn’t play for several bugfix patches during Thanksgiving and when I tried to load it this week my save was totally unusable. Word of caution for that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Food
Water
Smoke
Dont poo poo your pants
Shrooms
Alcohol

It's a game about being a landlord, just poo poo in your tenants' toilets.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

I literally don't know. I loaded it up with a bunch of crap and got precisely nothing for it on leaving.

The drop pod that you come down in only has an inventory so you can bring down the "workshop" (in game workshop, not steam workshop) items with you for missions and also return with them. You can also bring back the exotic ores in the drop pod when you leave. The idea was for the missions, you are able to buy things in the workshop with credits from previous missions so you can start the next mission with tools and armor to do that mission. It's basically required on the later missions, especially the ones that drop you in the desert. You'll die of heatstroke really fast if you didn't bring a set of armor from the workshop, or the scorpions/cougars will get you if you don't bring a weapon. Some areas don't really have loose stones so you need to bring a pickaxe to break boulders. I don't think it's possible to start with nothing on every mission and be able to succeed.

There's open world missions (the SMPL3 ones, when you build the contact device) where they send down a pod that you sometimes have to load up with supplies (ores, crops, etc) and send back up. The regular missions usually have that aspect also where you'll have to fill up a supply pod as part of the mission.

Then you have the ability to request a supply/delivery pod from a different workstation, which is similar to the dropship but you don't have to physically have your character go back to the station. You can get additional items from the workshop or send up any exotic ores you've been collecting for credits.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've played ~30 hours of coop Grounded but my overall impression is mixed veering towards negative, despite the very positive overall reception.

I thought the combat's clunkiness and over-reliance on parry combined with very high frequency and overtuned enemies on normal difficulty felt tedious (playing in a group of 2) and not fun. The parry is probably my favorite mechanic in video games (Sekiro!) but it has to be well-implemented and the enemy has to have proper tells otherwise it's just frustrating.

The world was beautifully made, enemies were somewhat interesting and novel, but the traversal was one of the weak parts for me and my friend. The map is not huge, but we often wished for fast travel. Dying in places like the blueberry hedge was painful and there was no better way than to trudge over there every time. Inventory was small and not fun to manage.

We still had fun but often it's because we were playing together more than the game being good.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

The world was beautifully made, enemies were somewhat interesting and novel, but the traversal was one of the weak parts for me and my friend. The map is not huge, but we often wished for fast travel. Dying in places like the blueberry hedge was painful and there was no better way than to trudge over there every time. Inventory was small and not fun to manage.

Yeah, as someone said before some of the better parts of Ground come pretty late in the game. Once you get the schematics for ziplines traversal becomes a little easier, and is a somewhat unique take in the genre. Of course, you need to spend time building a zipline network but that kind of thing is very much my jam.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Synthbuttrange posted:

Food
Water
Smoke
Dont poo poo your pants
Shrooms
Alcohol

So is this like...actually a survival game? I thought it was one of those business management games in the vein of Internet Cafe Simulator where you have to run a business but also there's a few bars where where you occasionally need to buy a pizza.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Another tick against Icarus, in my opinion, is that the tech tree often doesn't put pre-requisites before resulting technologies. So you can very easily accidentally drop a tech point into something you can't make (in my case, I took splints and then realized I don't know how to make rope). That's just bad game design.

Edit:

All right my buddy and I bailed. We figured out that the quest we were on was Tier 3 which it says under the two skulls which is one more skull than the no missions mission so we figured it was next tier up but actually it's third tier and doesn't even proc most of the quest requirements until after you build the decoration bench. Bad game design abounds in this thing. Anyway I made a fishing dock and staircase that are nice.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Spanish Matlock posted:

Another tick against Icarus, in my opinion, is that the tech tree often doesn't put pre-requisites before resulting technologies. So you can very easily accidentally drop a tech point into something you can't make (in my case, I took splints and then realized I don't know how to make rope). That's just bad game design.

Edit:

All right my buddy and I bailed. We figured out that the quest we were on was Tier 3 which it says under the two skulls which is one more skull than the no missions mission so we figured it was next tier up but actually it's third tier and doesn't even proc most of the quest requirements until after you build the decoration bench. Bad game design abounds in this thing. Anyway I made a fishing dock and staircase that are nice.

When the game first came out missions had time limits in real time and if you didn't finish one for whatever reason it would wipe your character. Bad design decisions is a core feature.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also while I’ve been a huge Obenseuer fan and promoter, I couldn’t play for several bugfix patches during Thanksgiving and when I tried to load it this week my save was totally unusable. Word of caution for that.

I played a bit of it and it seems really good, but I'm waiting for it to cook a little more. I checked out his roadmap and there's still so much they want to add, and I know there's some quest lines still unfinished. I feel like I want to wait until it's closer to finished (whatever finished is for this game). But I like basic mechanics so far.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've been considering trying Icarus again since it's free but the response in this thread alone has really put me off it. There's just too many weird design decisions.
It feels like that rare survival game where it's the concept more than the execution that drags it down, so I hope one day they re-evaluate their priorities, but I'm not holding my breath.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
One of the weirdest things about Icarus is you're in a space suit, sealed from the environment but if you go into a cave you get pneumonia very quickly. How the gently caress does that work?

Even without the space suit that would be dumb as gently caress.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fwiw I'm having a good time in spite of some of the idiosyncrasies mentioned here, and some of the later tech tree stuff looks like it could be pretty fun. I think my main lingering question at this point is how useful do those high tech gadgets come into play later because if there's bosses and dungeons a la Conan that sounds like a good reason to want to reach the end of the tech tree but I don't really know if that's this game's thing.

Edit: Oh and that perk that auto picks up logs from chopped wood is unbelievably good

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 2, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

explosivo posted:

fwiw I'm having a good time in spite of some of the idiosyncrasies mentioned here, and some of the later tech tree stuff looks like it could be pretty fun. I think my main lingering question at this point is how useful do those high tech gadgets come into play later because if there's bosses and dungeons a la Conan that sounds like a good reason to want to reach the end of the tech tree but I don't really know if that's this game's thing.

Honestly, the big trouble is that looking at the whole tech tree I don't see anything particularly special that would set Icarus apart from any other survival game, most of which have an interesting gimmick in addition. Like play No Man's Sky, or Conan, or Rust, or ARK, or etc. etc. etc. before you play Icarus for sure because it does not really do anything better than them and does several things very much worse.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CuddleCryptid posted:

So is this like...actually a survival game? I thought it was one of those business management games in the vein of Internet Cafe Simulator where you have to run a business but also there's a few bars where where you occasionally need to buy a pizza.

No it's a survival game. You have piss-all money and you need to eat, sleep, go to the toilet, you need to service your addictions or try to kick them, and the soup kitchen guy makes you pray before he'll give you food, the dickbag.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Ya there are some things that are pretty decent about Icarus but there’s a lot lot lot of design jank in a fairly sterile starter world with very little in the way of actual story that people might not want to deal with

Edit also some real fuckin goofy difficulty/grind spikes that are totally untelegraphed, like the wolf boss two missions in who runs at 70 mph and like three-shots you, has like 95% range resist and also runs out of sight at 70 mph if you hit him with like one arrow, or making anything T4 because you need exponential amounts of uncommon poo poo to make it

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 2, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really wish there was a survival builder game in the same vein as Eco, where you just log on a server and it's community-based. People primarily working together to progress, survive and just generally have a good time. Let me chop my trees and build my homestead whilst creating crafts and goods to sell to the town. Something with the level of graphical quality Icarus has, but with way more depth.

I'm looking forward to games 20 years from now. I'll be able to live out my dream of being a New World settler.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Qubee posted:

I really wish there was a survival builder game in the same vein as Eco, where you just log on a server and it's community-based. People primarily working together to progress, survive and just generally have a good time. Let me chop my trees and build my homestead whilst creating crafts and goods to sell to the town.

I randomly saw a game on Steam that was something like 1 hour per generation where you log in and you’re another player’s kid and they have to raise you and then you take over and raise another player while trying to progress the civilization. Sounded interesting and your post just reminded me of it.

Just looked it up. One Hour One Life.

Probably never enough players online for it to work though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

OHOL was amazing when it was first out and there was a lot of hype, I had a blast playing it. It's not really the world builder I was looking for though. I loved it for the sheer hilarity, seeing babies running off to die in the wilderness because they didn't want to be part of your tribe was just bonkers and always made me laugh. Having someone stab grandma unprovoked and for absolutely no reason was also hilarious just due to how ridiculously angry everyone would become. Seeing someone running back to camp with a very prominent snake bite as they hurriedly offload their belongings and whatever information they have before passing away.

But I'd love a game with the same vibrant and beautiful world that RDR2 has, except upon server start, it's literally just untamed wilderness. You set off with friends (or solo) and go about slowly changing the landscape by building homesteads, eventually towns, roads, etc. People could become lawmen to keep the peace (and probably abuse their power as is always the case), others would turn to crime to get what they want, and then you'd just have the regular people in the middle who want to farm, or ranch, or lumberjack.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Qubee posted:

I really wish there was a survival builder game in the same vein as Eco, where you just log on a server and it's community-based. People primarily working together to progress, survive and just generally have a good time. Let me chop my trees and build my homestead whilst creating crafts and goods to sell to the town. Something with the level of graphical quality Icarus has, but with way more depth.

I'm looking forward to games 20 years from now. I'll be able to live out my dream of being a New World settler.

I'm thinking the community servers in Vintage Story might have something like that, but obviously not with that kind of graphics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I need to poo poo, I need to do mushrooms and have a drink, I hope they send my cat through, I've been scavenging through trash to make enough money to pay for it all til the next day, and I broke my legs because while I may be a video game protagonist, I'm a mushroom addicted alcoholic videogame protagonist and jumping down a single storey is enough to leave me half dead.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Anyone else got/getting/have any impressions of Undying?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638990/UNDYING/

I bought it at the last sale after having my eye on it for awhile. I've spent about 3hours with it and have really enjoyed it so far, but im holding off on a big commit until the release on Thursday. You play a zombie bitten mom who has to shepherd and teach her young child about survivial after a botched rescue attempt from a zombie infested zone. The bones of the game are a craft'em up collection and light zombie battle game, but the major conceit is raising your kid in the post outbreak chaos, with her knowing she might not make it and needing to both teach her child how to cook, scavenge, and fight while also relying on them to be able to help you survive when your zombie bite symptoms get out of control. You begin getting riddled with penalty flaws soon after the game starts, and your ability to get your kid to scavenge and cook when your abilities wane feels like a really cool counterbalance to the way these games usually play, letting you play smartly around the flaws with your son Cody's help.

Managing him is pretty simple, he's easy to have next to you at all times (you hold hands to lead him, very mom like and appreciated) and the ability to have him stand back and let you fight also makes the moments where you're surprised out of no where by a zombie intense in a mama bear way (if a zombie slaps him, you have a brief protective mom knockdown which is great in the moment usefulness wise and also great flavor). the load screens are all tips presented in a conversational way between them, you are encouraged to both leave him at home to work and be safe but also bring him along to help scavenge, and there are even moments where the game has you sit down together and read stories or sing. The developers did a great job really pushing them together as the core of the gameplay without making it either too hard or easy.

The game also has an amazing artsyle in my eyes, it reminds me heavily of the flame in the flood which i also enjoyed thoroughly. I've always been a sucker for the exploration aspect of survival games, and there are a variety of locations available to scavenge as you get your major objectives of what to craft and where to go settled early on. there are npcs in the world as well, so it doesn't feel very lonely either. I'm hoping the game gets a moment in the sun next week when it releases, its simple but smart in what it wants to present and im hoping for good things for the devs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I need to poo poo, I need to do mushrooms and have a drink, I hope they send my cat through, I've been scavenging through trash to make enough money to pay for it all til the next day, and I broke my legs because while I may be a video game protagonist, I'm a mushroom addicted alcoholic videogame protagonist and jumping down a single storey is enough to leave me half dead.

Yeah I liked Disco Elysium too but I was asking about the survival game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah I liked Disco Elysium too but I was asking about the survival game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hibbloes posted:

Anyone else got/getting/have any impressions of Undying?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638990/UNDYING/

Oh no that sounds heartrending.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I kind of don't understand Obenseuer's development. It seems to be a pretty content-light game right now, with only a single main area to explore, mostly repetitive tasks, etc. But it seems like it's being developed quite briskly, since there have been several pretty major patches (balancing, not content, to be fair) in the last month alone. And they have big plans, with a development roadmap spelling out multiple large areas coming soon. Seems like it's under heavy development, to the point I almost want to just sit and wait it out for a bit, if this much is going to change so quickly.

But the twist was finding out this game went into early access in 2018? What the gently caress? I don't understand this at all. What have they been doing all this time? Content-wise it strikes me as extremely early access, how has this been out for 5 years plus whatever pre-release dev time there was??

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I kind of don't understand Obenseuer's development. It seems to be a pretty content-light game right now, with only a single main area to explore, mostly repetitive tasks, etc. But it seems like it's being developed quite briskly, since there have been several pretty major patches (balancing, not content, to be fair) in the last month alone. And they have big plans, with a development roadmap spelling out multiple large areas coming soon. Seems like it's under heavy development, to the point I almost want to just sit and wait it out for a bit, if this much is going to change so quickly.

But the twist was finding out this game went into early access in 2018? What the gently caress? I don't understand this at all. What have they been doing all this time? Content-wise it strikes me as extremely early access, how has this been out for 5 years plus whatever pre-release dev time there was??

It was redone relatively recently I think. I remember seeing some youtuber that mentioned obenseuer maybe a year ago and I think the interest rose it from the dead.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I feel like the 2018 version was basically abandoned in everything but theme and vibe. From what I know it sure seems like they very quickly realized that version was unusable for whatever reason and spent the time building what we have today. I can’t honestly say whether or not their ambitious roadmap is like, another multiple years to finish or a year total.

The devs are responsive and definitely working hard on it. The best I can infer is that the bazaar and a decent next chunk is imminent, but I’d also temper that with the play test versions that now make up the current “stable” game were crazy rough and bugs once solved keep cropping up - which given my experience isn’t a good sign. Ultimately I think what they have is imminently playable and has enough content for people to sink into and then maybe visit again in a year or whatever, depending on how it shakes out.

One bit I will push against is the map “size.” I think it’s easy, especially with their weird roadmap image, to think “oh poo poo this is super limited and I’m getting only a tiny slice.” Maybe, in the sense of what might be Obenseuer 2027, but what exists today is good and has tons to explore. It’s different from a lot of survival that’s usually open world primitive survival: in Obenseuer everything is intentionally claustrophobic and dense. You’re going to feel like you don’t have enough inventory space ever, and your needs might feel different than your normal “cook a corncob stack every 3 days” type of survival. You steal stuff, you buy and sell and craft. You might say “There’s only four tenements to explore for loot” and you’d be right, but there’s just so much packed in those tight areas. The 2018 version had a much larger map, but it was much more empty and lifeless. The 2023 version is relatively tiny, but there’s just so much in every nook and cranny to find.

It’s certainly far from a complete experience and I think some of the jank I hoped would have cleared up by the current public versions is still, well, janky. If you want a really polished experience, don’t buy it yet - it needs a lot more time for that. But if you love weird jank poo poo in an extremely unique setting with a neat premise, it can hit so good even now.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bought Obenseuer and put around 20 hours in it, here are my thoughts.
The game was overal fun and a good purchase on sale for about 8 euros. You basically explore sad buildings and try to satisfy your many needs (Sleep, Food, Drink, Alcohol, Shrooms, Smoking, Bathroom, etc) by doing menial tasks like collecting empty cans or chopping wood. The Landlord stuff is there but takes a lot of money and a lot of time. Generally speaking I had fun with it and it will probably be more fun if they add the Bazaar.

At this point I feel that I've hit a wall where I've done most of the "quests" and explored the map, reaching the end of those quest (most not completable yet), leaving the Landlord sim stuff. Unfortunately that's a problem because everything takes a long rear end time, there's no "sit and wait" button to pass time, for some reason I only sleep for about 4 hours before it says I'm not tired and sleeping pills cause depression. All in all I find it annoying that I have to run around doing nothing for time to pass. The game even pauses if you alt tab away so you can't even leave it running in the background to pass time (correct me if I'm wrong). Granted if the game was finished there will probably be more quests to do, but at this point there's an imbalance and if you do like the Landlord stuff and want to upgrade the building, etc it would take a long rear end time.

Tips with possible spoilers:
Solve all your drinking needs by going to the hostel with an empty 20 liter jug and filling it at the (clean) sink there.
I didn't do any of the menial tasks like collecting cans, I just explored everything, got the axe and the sledgehammer (you can get the axe in the building the Hostel is in, it's sticking out of a door on the 2nd floor I think) to break down walls and took everything that wasn't nailed down.
Some places respawn loot, or all of them do with different timeframes, so go back to them.
Got rid of my shroom addiction by smoking the cigarettes that have a little shroom in them, eventually got completely cured.
Outside of the building where the renovation guy is at (Dek A?), on your immediate left are two cement pipes, one has a crate and the other a sack with usually decent construction stuff and batteries.
Bathroom I usually went to the tenant on the 3rd floor of your building. There's also one at the sauna on the pier in the back.
Again in the building where the Hostel is, in the apartment behind the (breakable) brick wall, in the kitchen drawers medicine items spawn very regularly (usually painkillers and bandages, plus something else).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I bought Obenseur as well and agree that exploiting respawning items is the way to go. There is a surprising amount of stuff you can just take because it isn't flagged as owned.

I also like the dense "one city block" design, it seems very immersive sim.

My biggest complaint is probably that the economy is largely messed up. Bottles are everywhere and respawn a lot so you can get a little change, but items are also everywhere, including stealing. So you can live okay, but I feel like once I get my first tenant in the economy will shatter into 1000 pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I want to like Icarus more, but ultimately I’d just rather play another game. I can overlook a number of flaws (and have done so before), but I just don’t enjoy the wildlife combat and the leveling system (solo). I’m going to try and punch through the first tech tier, but that may just exacerbate the problem. I’m fine with blueprint unlocks, I just would enjoy it much more if that was untethered from leveling up.

I think it might be a ‘sense’ of achievement. It doesn’t really reward finding new materials or setting a specific goal to unlock things, rather just ‘punching trees’ until your busy work meter tops off.

Outpost mode slows exp too much, but maybe I’ll enjoy open world or outpost once I have enough blueprints to settle in a bit and work towards the simple missions system those have. Right now I’m too busy getting repeatedly mauled by bears in the outpost map, so I need to grind out a few more levels and I don’t appreciate the level/blueprint cost of having to unlock each part of the armor set individually so bears with single-digit levels stop being a death sentence.

That also ties into the bedroll system. With just a basic stone knife and crap gear, that twenty fur for the basic ability to sleep through the night and set a respawn point is a repetitive hassle. With the right perk points and a level five crafted or workshop purchased knife and a decent bow it’ll be a lot less effort but before that it makes the mission structure a little more tedious than it needs to be- if I saw a sleeping bag in the workshop that’d be my first unlock.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 3, 2023