Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I haven't played Dragon Quest Monsters in so long that I don't remember anything about it, but I picked up The Dark Prince. I think it's cool that you're playing as Psaro the Manslayer in his youth, back when he was still just a boyslayer. The battle UI is really good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I really like it so far! I've only made it past the first colosseum fight but it seems to scratch that itch. I haven't played a DQ game since the 7 rerelease on the 3ds so I'm really liking the monster variety. They were not afraid to just be silly with some of these fellows.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

I haven't played Dragon Quest Monsters in so long that I don't remember anything about it, but I picked up The Dark Prince. I think it's cool that you're playing as Psaro the Manslayer in his youth, back when he was still just a boyslayer. The battle UI is really good, too.

Psaro seemed like the most justified of DQ villains at least?

Tbf, majority of them are just the same entity of darkness.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Psaro seemed like the most justified of DQ villains at least?

Tbf, majority of them are just the same entity of darkness.

Were any of the other ones even not just purely "Evil McDarkEvil"? Haven't played 6, 9, or 10, so maybe one of those has a different kind of villain.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We were in the twelfth hour and I was still pulling for Marcello to make up with Angelo

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I feel like there’s stuff you can dig into with two out of 11’s three biggest villains at least, and I feel like DQB2 added some fun depth to DQ2’s villains. Outside of that I can’t really say, though I haven’t completed 6, 8, and 9 yet and 10 is a mystery.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the deal with 9's villain was he was an angel that fell in love with a human and had to watch the Gittish Empire kill her, which is basically the same as Psaro.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HPanda posted:

Were any of the other ones even not just purely "Evil McDarkEvil"? Haven't played 6, 9, or 10, so maybe one of those has a different kind of villain.

11 sort of from a certain perspective though the actual big bad is evil mcevilyface.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In 4, Psaro is a tragic villain out to avenge his love, and in the remake you can recruit him for the post-game
In 8, Marcello manages to resist being possessed by Rhapthorne, but he's still kind of a dick
In 9, Corvus rebelled and fell out of grief, though unlike Psaro there's no option to redeem him
In 11, Mordegon went so far in pursuit of the power to destroy Calasmos that he lost his memories and his morals

Other than that, it's pretty much just a bunch of one-dimensionai daimaō.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Liking what I played of Dark Prince so far; did not want to go far in the demo and I am up to the second colosseum fight.

Also, my Dragon Quest opinion is that I hate that they removed the best joke in the series: Using Zoom indoors makes you bash your head against the ceiling.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 2, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Unlucky7 posted:

Liking what I played of Dark Prince so far; did not want to go far in the demo and I am up to the second colosseum fight.

Also, my Dragon Quest opinion is that I hate that they removed the best joke in the series: Using Zoom indoors makes you bash your head against the ceiling.

it's a nice QOL change but I also..miss that, yeah. conflicted feelings.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

In 11, Mordegon went so far in pursuit of the power to destroy Calasmos that he lost his memories and his morals

Other than that, it's pretty much just a bunch of one-dimensionai daimaō.

11 has more to it than that. Morcant, the original man before becoming Mordegon was basically possessed into killing Erdwin and then he just became more and more evil over the years.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ugh, this game is putting me in the mood to replay DQ4. I mean, I probably do not need to for the Lore, but I never did properly beat it.

How is the iOS version? Does it have the Party Chat restored from the DS version?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

Ugh, this game is putting me in the mood to replay DQ4. I mean, I probably do not need to for the Lore, but I never did properly beat it.

How is the iOS version? Does it have the Party Chat restored from the DS version?

Ya. There is also a patch for the DS version that does that if you are so inclined.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Yes, it does, which is the primary reason I didn’t just emulate the DS version. I GOTTA read all about Kyril’s awkward crush on Alena!!!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's a nice QOL change but I also..miss that, yeah. conflicted feelings.
Yeah, my thought on that when I discovered it in 11 was, "Aw, you don't smash into the ceiling any more, but OK, I'll accept your QoL offering."

Ceramics posted:

Ya. There is also a patch for the DS version that does that if you are so inclined.
Though the patch builds off of the Japanese DS version, which I've heard is missing some of the QoL of the English DS version? I'm not sure what they changed for the English version aside from removing party chat TBH.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, my thought on that when I discovered it in 11 was, "Aw, you don't smash into the ceiling any more, but OK, I'll accept your QoL offering."

Though the patch builds off of the Japanese DS version, which I've heard is missing some of the QoL of the English DS version? I'm not sure what they changed for the English version aside from removing party chat TBH.

https://github.com/concreted/dqiv-nds-en-script-patcher#known-issues

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So is this going to be the DQM thread then? Game good, I'm giving everything a punny nickname in the grand DQ tradition.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the performance better than the demo? I watched my friend play it a month or so ago and it was kind of rough. Not unplayable or anything but chugged more than I'd like. Might just wait for the inevitable PC release in 6 months.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm probably commiting heresy by saying this but, personally, I don't find party chat all that important. The usual pattern is I keep checking the party chat until there's a part of the game where there's nothing funny or substancial in it for a while so I unconsciously forget about it until several ingame hours later, then I remember it exists and check it again, starting the cycle over.

I don't know, the idea of playing DQ4 with that patch that introduces tons of text errors everywhere just for it sounds crazy to me. It's fine if you're replaying it but for a first run I'd still put the phone version if you tolerate touchscreen controls and the regular DS version without party chat over it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I ran my team through the flashfire tournament thing last night and went 7-23 because 20 of those 23 losses were against teams with a bunch of A and S rank stuff with HP in the 700-1800 range. One team even had Dragonlord's True Form already. Either some of those Japanese players got their hands on the game early or they just tore rear end through the game ignoring the story while knowing exactly what to scout/synth, when, and where.

Game is a bunch of fun, though it seems like there's no monster trading with other players? Which seems insane but maybe they figure people would hand out tons of S rank boss types via Mole Hole farming or something. Or maybe trading just hasn't existed in the series for ages and I never noticed.

Something weird I noticed too is that the 8 monsters I brought over from the demo were gaining considerably fewer skill points when leveling, however after I synthed them with other monsters the new monsters seem to be gaining significantly more skill points than normal which let me make Deep Breather and get it up to 100 skill points extremely fast on my Drak Slime and said Drak Slime is doing exactly what you'd expect a monster with access to 100-150 aoe to do in the early game (only just finished the 4th area before bed) and before hitting level 20. Also cleared up to rank D in the arena fights (just like in the demo) with that firepower and barely lost the final fight in rank D when I tried it. I guess a team of level 15-18 F rank monsters trying to play Rocket Tag hit its limit. For now... :black101:

BabyRyoga posted:

It's as good as other monsters games so far. I am just spending many many hours synthing OP stuff making my way up the tree without advancing too far.

The complaint I have, which isn't even a new one, is I wish they would stop loving lying about the scout chance. It's ok if monsters are hardish to scout, but don't tell me it's a 25% chance only to have me fail like 14 times in a row before getting it. It's clear the actual success rate is maybe around half of the value it claims.

I managed to scout a (dupe) Large hunter mech with a 14% chance in the Mole Hole and failed to scout a frog on 74%, 70%, and 67% chances. RNG gonna RNG. Mole hole being paid DLC is annoying and stuff seems artificially harder to catch in it but the time saving it provides is easily worth a few bucks.

It sucks that you can't use meat on stuff like the cyclops and green dragon or scout them at all. Though they can apparently offer to join you after the fight like other enemies but gently caress that. I've already made some D rank stuff because the Meowgician I had was able to be synth'd with something else to make a D rank silverancius or whatever that app demon thing is called.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Currently some of the opponents in the 30 round flash tournament are NPC placeholders with insane late game monsters, you can see it if you check your match history. I would guess that starts changing soon as more people beat the game and get more endgame teams, but I think they deliberately have it populate with a variety of monster ranks.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Petiso posted:

I'm probably commiting heresy by saying this but, personally, I don't find party chat all that important. The usual pattern is I keep checking the party chat until there's a part of the game where there's nothing funny or substancial in it for a while so I unconsciously forget about it until several ingame hours later, then I remember it exists and check it again, starting the cycle over.

I don't know, the idea of playing DQ4 with that patch that introduces tons of text errors everywhere just for it sounds crazy to me. It's fine if you're replaying it but for a first run I'd still put the phone version if you tolerate touchscreen controls and the regular DS version without party chat over it.

My compulsive need to READ ALL THE WORDS appreciates party chat, but it does make the game take a little longer. Those extra dialog boxes add up after awhile.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

I ran my team through the flashfire tournament thing last night and went 7-23 because 20 of those 23 losses were against teams with a bunch of A and S rank stuff with HP in the 700-1800 range. One team even had Dragonlord's True Form already. Either some of those Japanese players got their hands on the game early or they just tore rear end through the game ignoring the story while knowing exactly what to scout/synth, when, and where.

Game is a bunch of fun, though it seems like there's no monster trading with other players? Which seems insane but maybe they figure people would hand out tons of S rank boss types via Mole Hole farming or something. Or maybe trading just hasn't existed in the series for ages and I never noticed.

Something weird I noticed too is that the 8 monsters I brought over from the demo were gaining considerably fewer skill points when leveling, however after I synthed them with other monsters the new monsters seem to be gaining significantly more skill points than normal which let me make Deep Breather and get it up to 100 skill points extremely fast on my Drak Slime and said Drak Slime is doing exactly what you'd expect a monster with access to 100-150 aoe to do in the early game (only just finished the 4th area before bed) and before hitting level 20. Also cleared up to rank D in the arena fights (just like in the demo) with that firepower and barely lost the final fight in rank D when I tried it. I guess a team of level 15-18 F rank monsters trying to play Rocket Tag hit its limit. For now... :black101:

I managed to scout a (dupe) Large hunter mech with a 14% chance in the Mole Hole and failed to scout a frog on 74%, 70%, and 67% chances. RNG gonna RNG. Mole hole being paid DLC is annoying and stuff seems artificially harder to catch in it but the time saving it provides is easily worth a few bucks.

It sucks that you can't use meat on stuff like the cyclops and green dragon or scout them at all. Though they can apparently offer to join you after the fight like other enemies but gently caress that. I've already made some D rank stuff because the Meowgician I had was able to be synth'd with something else to make a D rank silverancius or whatever that app demon thing is called.

I'm noticing now, it might have scum protection. I'm averaging like 300-400 total percent when I try to scum something with title screen resets.

Also, yeah, it looks like a lot of Japanese players got quite a head start since it unlocked there almost a full day's worth early. I was only able to go 10 win/20 losses after playing almost marathon since it unlocked on our side of things. I've only got 3 A ranks so far, including Dragonlord's human form.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 2, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For people wondering how to advance in synthing earlier on, what you need to do is basically start off by synthing everything you have with everything else to increase the number of monsters in your encyclopedia.

Use reverse search, and select No for possible combinations. It can show you what monsters you need to advance to a higher rank, providing you've scouted them before. Jumping from D to C is easy, C to B is harder and might require some specific combinations, but once you get a B monster you can fuse it with random things to create other B monsters. A almost always results from specific fusions, so you just need to use reverse search at that point and hope you have the ingredients to a match in your encyclopedia.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/souIstyce/status/1730582156261368310

Also Horii says he's been playtesting DQIII:

https://twitter.com/YujiHorii/status/1730374076202684854

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HackensackBackpack posted:

My compulsive need to READ ALL THE WORDS appreciates party chat, but it does make the game take a little longer. Those extra dialog boxes add up after awhile.

The one thing that Like a Dragon 7 had it right where the characters just start talking as you walk around for party chat.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

The one thing that Like a Dragon 7 had it right where the characters just start talking as you walk around for party chat.
I think the system in LAD7 should've worked more like Tales skits, TBH, because there were times I'd blast right past the specific spot a party chat would come up and miss it, and then it wouldn't be there when I went back for it. Sometimes I'd get the option if I passed by the location later, but sometimes not, I couldn't figure out what makes them "respawn". They were most of the way to skits, I think they should have just... gone the rest of the way.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

I think the system in LAD7 should've worked more like Tales skits, TBH, because there were times I'd blast right past the specific spot a party chat would come up and miss it, and then it wouldn't be there when I went back for it. Sometimes I'd get the option if I passed by the location later, but sometimes not, I couldn't figure out what makes them "respawn". They were most of the way to skits, I think they should have just... gone the rest of the way.

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing worse than passive stuff like that. The best result is having to stop playing and wait, the standard result is oops, missed it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Some more thoughts about DQM 3

1) Not really liking the new size system. I really enjoyed how it worked in Joker 3 and this feels like a weird RNG step back, especially with how obnoxiously it is to get L monsters natively until you learn the hidden mechanics. Still though having a giant sabrecub is really cute and funny so :shrug:

2) They locked a lot of iconic monsters behind incredibly specific and long fusion chains. And not like endgame monsters, like Slime Knights are rank F and require a full on special breeding chain to get which feels excessive. Most of them are callbacks to older games but trying to puzzle out what exactly you're missing to be able to fill out your monsterpedia is tough as hell if you're not using one of the Japanese wikis.

3) The seasons are obnoxious and take just slllllightly too long to cycle though which can make farming for fusion fodder annoying.

Otherwise I really, really like this game and think its probably the best or second best Monster's title I've played. I've sunk like 15 hours in and got super distracted filling out the monsterpedia (and have managed to complete... e and almost f at this point :shepicide:).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, of you went into this game not knowing anything about dq4, I could see some of the plot being confusing

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zore posted:

1) Not really liking the new size system. I really enjoyed how it worked in Joker 3 and this feels like a weird RNG step back, especially with how obnoxiously it is to get L monsters natively until you learn the hidden mechanics. Still though having a giant sabrecub is really cute and funny so :shrug:

2) They locked a lot of iconic monsters behind incredibly specific and long fusion chains. And not like endgame monsters, like Slime Knights are rank F and require a full on special breeding chain to get which feels excessive. Most of them are callbacks to older games but trying to puzzle out what exactly you're missing to be able to fill out your monsterpedia is tough as hell if you're not using one of the Japanese wikis.

3) The seasons are obnoxious and take just slllllightly too long to cycle though which can make farming for fusion fodder annoying.

Otherwise I really, really like this game and think its probably the best or second best Monster's title I've played. I've sunk like 15 hours in and got super distracted filling out the monsterpedia (and have managed to complete... e and almost f at this point :shepicide:).

Where do you find info for like the Slime Knight fusion?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Where do you find info for like the Slime Knight fusion?

I'm using google translate on this site

https://gamewith.jp/monsters3/417737

That page has a list of all monsters in the game and how to fuse them. Going to their individual pages also lets you look up the steps to get to any particular monster.

Mostly comprehensible even just with the auto translate and it has a lot of images etc.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zore posted:

Well, for lower rank stuff like up to D or so, you CAN find a special chain or 4 monster fusion to get something like a Slime Knight. But you can also scout them in the wild, or (probably) end up down-fusing a higher monster into one. It's supposed to feel progressively harder and harder to jump up ranks, without finding very specific combinations.

It's really when you get to B+ rank monsters where you are required to do special fuses in order to find stuff. You really just have to sus out the combinations with reverse search if you aren't using a guide. That's the way it has been since the 3DS games.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zore posted:

I'm using google translate on this site

https://gamewith.jp/monsters3/417737

That page has a list of all monsters in the game and how to fuse them. Going to their individual pages also lets you look up the steps to get to any particular monster.

Mostly comprehensible even just with the auto translate and it has a lot of images etc.

Nice. Thanks mate.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

HackensackBackpack posted:

My favorite party chat was probably DQ6, after talking to an NPC cat with Milly or Ashlynn in the party. :3:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
V/VI really went all the gently caress in on the chats, like VI even had them for surviving the chest with the uberkilling machines that you can find way, way sooner than the postgame when they’re random encounters, on top of most of your party having something to say in both for like every NPC interaction. Also there’s a VI chat for rematching the final boss, that might be a thing in. Lot of them but you’ll definitely see it in VI!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What're these chats and which versions have them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I get disappointed when something happens and my guys don't have anything to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

What're these chats and which versions have them

The mobile versions of 4/5/6 added in a button you could hit and get your party's thoughts on the immediate situation. The English DS ports don't include it with 4 but do for 5 and 6.

In 5 for instance a lot of it is the kids being cute commenting on stuff or the wife yalking about pregnancy symptoms before the reveal. Nothing crucial but neat additional characterization.