Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Can you run PlexAmp with Apple TV? Also can you install SmartTube and kill all youtube ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Delthalaz posted:

Can you run PlexAmp with Apple TV? Also can you install SmartTube and kill all youtube ads?

Seconding this and do you have to have a subscription to use the AppleTV device and have they purposefully obsoleted older devices to make them nonfunctional?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

YouTube ads is the biggest pain point, there’s no easy way to block them on device and DNS blocking doesn’t seem to work. I ended up just buying a cheap YouTube premium sub over VPN.

That Works posted:

Seconding this and do you have to have a subscription to use the AppleTV device and have they purposefully obsoleted older devices to make them nonfunctional?

What the gently caress are you talking about?

tvOS 17 is supported on the AppleTV HD, a device released nearly 9 years ago.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

VPN to the Ukraine. Sign up for YouTube Premium Family and share with friends/goons for $4 a month. Enjoy ad-free YouTube everywhere without dealing with extensions or third party apps.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FCKGW posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

tvOS 17 is supported on the AppleTV HD, a device released nearly 9 years ago.

I'm asking if they have purposefully broken devices by forcing an iOS upgrade that renders the device now unable to use the apps that are installed on it. A thing that has happened in the past for other iOS devices. Why you are being hostile about this is a mystery, :chillpill:

I'd not considered AppleTV, because I am averse to buying their hardware due to that situation. Knowing it is not an issue makes it slightly better as an option. Not having the ability to block youtube ads though also largely takes it off the table (at least for now) since I can stop the Fire Stick from playing ads and use SmartTube and not view youtube ads either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

I'm asking if they have purposefully broken devices by forcing an iOS upgrade that renders the device now unable to use the apps that are installed on it. A thing that has happened in the past for other iOS devices. Why you are being hostile about this is a mystery, :chillpill:

Apply fanboyism often manifests this way. It's baffling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

Apply fanboyism often manifests this way. It's baffling.

Agreed.

Open to using AppleTV and want to know more about it, not sure if adopting it and then needing to pay for removal of youtube ads is worth it or not yet though... maybe my partner has a stronger preference here though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

after figuring out that we watched very little netflix, hulu, disney+ and crunchyroll but we watch hours of youtube a day, a youtube premium sub for the whole family made far more sense, especially because it allows hassle free no ad experience across all devices without having to side load apps, or run a pi hole (which caused us a ton of problems).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

HKR posted:

after figuring out that we watched very little netflix, hulu, disney+ and crunchyroll but we watch hours of youtube a day, a youtube premium sub for the whole family made far more sense, especially because it allows hassle free no ad experience across all devices without having to side load apps, or run a pi hole (which caused us a ton of problems).

Makes more sense for that case. We probably watch amazon video, Plex and other services combined about 20x more than YouTube

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I have a plex media server for my family, it's.connected to our Internet via Ethernet and everything else is wifi, we have three iPads, a desktop and two laptops, They all work perfectly except for my wife's laptop. Her laptop or course is the one that needs to work with Plex the most. It constantly hitches and buffers with Plex. I have no idea why it is like this, help me thread, why would one device not work when all the others do.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sure would help if you told us about the laptop.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

LRADIKAL posted:

Sure would help if you told us about the laptop.

It's a cheap laptop we bought a year ago for a couple hundred bucks, it is not anything special but has been more than enough to stream things from other streaming services.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Wild guess, your server is transcoding for your laptop for some reason but direct playing on everything else. That would show up in server logs to confirm.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

are you using the windows app or streaming over a web browser? Try one over the other to see if issues are still there (Plex dashboard will also show you what's playing at the moment and tell you if it's transcoding anything)

If it's a cheap pc the wireless may also be bad; suggest trying it over ethernet as well to see if issues fix themselves.

HKR fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 2, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That Works posted:

I'm asking if they have purposefully broken devices by forcing an iOS upgrade that renders the device now unable to use the apps that are installed on it.

You mean when they got rid of 32 bit app support? I don't know if I'd call that purposefully breaking devices, but if you're worried about apps suddenly not working because a large corporation wants to change it, you'll probably have to stick to a Pi and LibreElec or something because they all do that stuff.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

HKR posted:

are you using the windows app or streaming over a web browser? Try one over the other to see if issues are still there (Plex dashboard will also show you what's playing at the moment and tell you if it's transcoding anything)

She's tried both the web browser and the Windows app and it does the same thing in both, and I will check for transcoding as well, I appreciate it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to imagine a modern OS needing to be transcoded to, but if it's something more locked down like Apple or a Chromebook(?) it may not have access to the full array of codecs you'd get with a standard desktop. If you do see streams to the laptop being transcoded (can just look at the Activity Dashboard on your Plex portal) that is likely why.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I don't understand the Roku hate. Advertisements? It takes about 3 button clicks to enter the Plex app, and from there I never see any ads?

What am I missing?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I don't understand the Roku hate. Advertisements? It takes about 3 button clicks to enter the Plex app, and from there I never see any ads?

What am I missing?

It's just a matter of time before they introduce ad prerolls and further poo poo up the homescreen with invasive garbage that you can't dismiss until you drink a verification can.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Also a youtube premium subscription is worth it at full price and then some. Between youtube and plex no one in my family ever sees any advertisements and never has to think about their existence, which owns.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What am I missing?

They don't bother me all that much, but I don't like that now there's 2 and they are getting more annoying/attention grabbing. It's a bad trajectory. Just like plex.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Chillmatic posted:

Also a youtube premium subscription is worth it at full price and then some. Between youtube and plex no one in my family ever sees any advertisements and never has to think about their existence, which owns.

Same. This is the way.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
What do people even watch on youtube? I haven't seen anything on there worth watching at all, certainly not worth paying for. I haven't even heard anyone talking about the great show they watch on youtube. As far as I can tell, it's wall-to-wall Mr Beast and Minecraft (at least that's what it recommends to my kindergartener).

Do we have a thread somewhere for youtube recommendations? I cannot believe that people actually like the garbage that I'm aware of.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
For us it's a lot of travel/food/history content for the most part and then a whole bunch of people talking about niche/unique/unique things that we follow and keep up to date with

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Ask a mortician
Every frame a painting
Contrapoints
Forgotten weapons
Action button
DP/30
Folding ideas
Soft white underbelly

YouTube is full of dope stuff 🤷🏻‍♀️

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
So, to be clear, none of it is scripted shows with actual production values, plot, and decent acting? It's a completely different type of offering than the stuff on Disney+, Netflix, Max. Fair, but not for me.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

What do people even watch on youtube? I haven't seen anything on there worth watching at all, certainly not worth paying for. I haven't even heard anyone talking about the great show they watch on youtube. As far as I can tell, it's wall-to-wall Mr Beast and Minecraft (at least that's what it recommends to my kindergartener).

Do we have a thread somewhere for youtube recommendations? I cannot believe that people actually like the garbage that I'm aware of.

Lots of cooking channels; Chinese Cooking Demystified, J. Kenji-Lopez-Alt, ANTI-CHEF, You Suck at Cooking, many many many others.
Travel channels; Solo Travel Japan, DacingBacons, Aden Films.
Tech: Linus Tech Tips, Short Circuit, Tech Tangents, Michael MJD, Technology Connections, Techmoan, Zack Freedman, [the tech youtube channel I work on]
Games: Jeff Gerstmann, My Life in Gaming, Digital Foundry, MandaloreGaming, DNO, ThorHighHeels, Action Button, Summoning Salt, Be And,
Music: Adam Neely, Red Means Recording, LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER, The Drum Thing
Scale modeling: Goobertown Hobbies, Luke Towan, Barbatos Rex, Bobby Fingers

Once you start watching Good Youtube it stops recommending things like Mr Beast and minecraftyeller1488.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

5TonsOfFlax posted:

So, to be clear, none of it is scripted shows with actual production values, plot, and decent acting? It's a completely different type of offering than the stuff on Disney+, Netflix, Max. Fair, but not for me.

There are car shows/car review shows that are just as scripted and highly produced as anything you'd see on network or cable TV. I assume car shows are not the only genre where this exists on youtube.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Depends on the channel. There are a number of incredibly high production channels for just about every subject, and the vast majority of them are scripted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That Works posted:

I'm asking if they have purposefully broken devices by forcing an iOS upgrade that renders the device now unable to use the apps that are installed on it. A thing that has happened in the past for other iOS devices.

I’d say this happens a lot less in the Apple ecosystem compared to competitors, especially when it comes to keeping phones usable and secure. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could still get an old Apple TV Gen 2 that doesn’t even have the App Store on it to work with Plex via the PlexConnect workaround, altho that would be relying on that developer to keep up with Plex changes for no real reason.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

5TonsOfFlax posted:

As above, there's plenty of well produced content that very often is scripted but I think the attraction for me is the variety. People with incredibly deep knowledge of very niche topics are able to share some of that outside the context of major networks or even the need to monetize it. It really was just a nice bonus to being a google play music member back when that was a thing, and YouTube music is still great but our YouTube consumption easily outpaces Plex/Netflix/etc in the last few years.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

Yeah. We canceled Disney+ and Netflix.

We use YouTube music a lot, too. My dad probably doesn't even realize YouTube has ads.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’d say this happens a lot less in the Apple ecosystem compared to competitors, especially when it comes to keeping phones usable and secure. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could still get an old Apple TV Gen 2 that doesn’t even have the App Store on it to work with Plex via the PlexConnect workaround, altho that would be relying on that developer to keep up with Plex changes for no real reason.

I've only had it happen to me with iPads and no other android or other product.

Sounds like its moot for Apple TV but am currently not paying for ad-free youtube on a fire stick so not seeing a reason to move over to that. If Fire stuff gets worse Ill prob go the Pi / LibreElec route.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Motronic posted:

They don't bother me all that much, but I don't like that now there's 2 and they are getting more annoying/attention grabbing. It's a bad trajectory. Just like plex.

Oh, maybe since Roku is built into my TV they show less ads, all I ever see are banner ads for movies, but it all goes away once I open an app.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That Works posted:

I've only had it happen to me with iPads and no other android or other product.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/amazon-set-to-ditch-android-in-all-devices-and-its-starting-with-fire-tv

quote:

Meanwhile, it seems like Amazon has also instructed app developers to switch to using Meta’s React Native as the framework for building apps for its hardware

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yes thus the 2nd part that you left out in the quote.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That Works posted:

Yes, but the existing apps aren't written in react, and if they're moving away from Android, they're likely to stop working if they don't get updated.

I wasn't trying to be sneaky, no need to be snarky

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

Take this fanboyism to yospos or whatever hellhole none of us pay attention to.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

Take this fanboyism to yospos or whatever hellhole none of us pay attention to.

What the gently caress are you even talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about

I'm talking about the plex thread turning into an Apple back and forth snipefest. Let's talk about plex in the plex thread again.