Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The discussion earlier about best direct sequels led me to thinking about the worst #2 games in a franchise and that's a much tougher question. My personal answer would be Mercenaries 2 (or if you want to get old and really obscure, Asheron's Call 2), but I could see but I could see a popular case for Zelda 2 (I also remember a lot of griping about Dragon Age 2 but never played it myself). :synpa:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

e: im in the wrong thread for this but i think the single funniest thing about the game was just switching to trevor and he'd just be passed out on a rock in the middle of nowhere or getting into an argument with a bus driver or whatever
I switched to him waking up on a roof in broad daylight once.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A lot of the GTAV humour didn’t land for me, but I still think about the scooter brother transition once in a while

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zero_Grade posted:

The discussion earlier about best direct sequels led me to thinking about the worst #2 games in a franchise and that's a much tougher question. My personal answer would be Mercenaries 2 (or if you want to get old and really obscure, Asheron's Call 2), but I could see popular cases for Zelda 2 or Dragon Age 2.

I actually give some praise to Zelda 2 for doing an interesting change in style before the 2D games really set the overhead view in stone. I can't really rank it in terms of gameplay though, it's tough enough that I gave up on it forever ages ago.

I'd be there for either version of Mario Bros 2, though. The Japanese version is just an uninspired (and sometimes cheap) romhack, and the US version is just kind of meh in general, even if I like a lot of the enemies it brought over to the franchise. I can't really think of any later games in the main series that I like less - the NSMB got kind of uninspired, but I'd still rather play them in general.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zelda 2 wasn't even meant to be a Zelda game for most of its development.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Honestly Dragon Age 2 is my favorite of the series these days, but it's so wildly different from 1 that I bounced off it hard the first time I played it.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was such a flop that it killed the Ultimate Alliance series for the whole time the MCU was a juggernaut.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

(I also remember a lot of griping about Dragon Age 2 but never played it myself).

DA:2 had two major problems, one of them being the maps getting very samey very quickly. There was a stock "Cave" map, and you would travel to it for a quest that was outside of the city, you'd fight the monsters inside and take their loot, carry on with the quest, and then go back to the city. Then you'd get another quest, and part of the "travel" to that quest was the same cave map as before, but with a cave-in blocking one corner and a new opening in the other corner, but the same enemies/environment/etc. with one new path to walk down. You were blatantly being given Cave_1 and Cave_2, oftentimes back-to-back as you doing side quests. I think some of the side quests even outright used the exact same map, repopulated with enemies, to find an item that feels like you should've been able to find on your own, but the item/resource wouldn't exist until you talked to the questgiver.

The other was enemy waves. You'd be fighting that group of spiders from the same Cave_1 map as before, kill them all, and then 5 more spiders would appear out of thin air. Nothing different about them, just more of the same things to fight. i remember walking around the city could incur a fight against random thieves/bandits, which would be a 2 to 3 wave fight, and they're supposed to just be random mooks robbing people in the back alleys. You also could never tell if a fight was going to have multiple waves.

So you'd walk into a map you've already been to, to fight a group of enemies that you've already killed during the last quest, and any time you'd finish a fight, the game would hit a button that says "nuh-uh, do-over" and make you fight a second wave of the same enemies in the same cave and ugh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Zelda 2 wasn't even meant to be a Zelda game for most of its development.

Huh, I didn't remember that. No big surprise, I guess.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Splicer posted:

How's the gear itself? Any cool effects or are they mainly just +numbers?

e: "Similar to games you played: Peglin" uh thanks steam but I won't take your word on that

There are some that are just +5% crit rate or whatever, but there are also some very useful ones that do things like extend the duration of status effects that character causes. The annoying thing is that each effect has 3 tiers and to get to tier 2 you need do a good bit of crafting, and to get to tier 3 you need to do a ton of crafting and get super lucky while gathering, as far as I can tell.

There are also some like +15% wind resistance that I absolutely cannot fathom bothering with unless the post game content really takes things up a notch or seven. Like I said, you can just ignore them entirely and be fine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bawk posted:

The other was enemy waves. You'd be fighting that group of spiders from the same Cave_1 map as before, kill them all, and then 5 more spiders would appear out of thin air. Nothing different about them, just more of the same things to fight. i remember walking around the city could incur a fight against random thieves/bandits, which would be a 2 to 3 wave fight, and they're supposed to just be random mooks robbing people in the back alleys. You also could never tell if a fight was going to have multiple waves.

The waves really sucked because it was almost always trash mobs that could not effectively hurt you, that you could delete with an AOE attack. It really just meant you’d have to cast Trash Delete 3 times instead of once. And you’d have to wait for their “coming to the battle” animation to finish before you deleted them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Honestly Dragon Age 2 is my favorite of the series these days, but it's so wildly different from 1 that I bounced off it hard the first time I played it.

You know another BW sequel which was wildly different from the first one? Mass Effect 2. And yet it has always been and will probably always be the most popular ME game. DA2 meanwhile. even after all these years, is still fairly divisive. Sad.

DA2 might be my favorite but it's kinda like MGS2 in that "favorite" does not mean "best." As a cohesive, well-made video game, MGS1 and DA Origins are way better. They're actually finished, for one thing. But as for DAO vs. DA2, the origins, the variety in dialogue and characterization choices, the branching paths in quests - DAO destroys DA2 and DAI in these areas. But in spite of all that, DA2 is my favorite because I like the gameplay way more. I like the characters a lot. The Qunari are far and away the most interesting and unique thing about the setting and DA2 gives them the most focus in any of the games. The Arishok is the best antagonist in any BioWare game, for sure.

Someday we'll get DA Legendary Edition. Someday.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Splicer posted:

How's the gear itself? Any cool effects or are they mainly just +numbers?

e: "Similar to games you played: Peglin" uh thanks steam but I won't take your word on that

Last I played all the equipment was linear. Replace the Level 3 stuff with the Level 4 stuff. They tried spicing it up with a gem system that was so complicated at launch that nobody bothered with it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was such a flop that it killed the Ultimate Alliance series for the whole time the MCU was a juggernaut.

Ultimate Alliance 2 was so hosed from a fundamental level because the whole appeal of those games is making a team from a huge roster, and the dumbass Civil War storyline meant you only had half the roster at max for 90% of the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hated Ultimate Alliance 3 but it’s hard to explain exactly why. It just played badly. I think enemies had too much health and it just didn’t feel satisfying.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Zero_Grade posted:

The discussion earlier about best direct sequels led me to thinking about the worst #2 games in a franchise and that's a much tougher question. My personal answer would be Mercenaries 2 (or if you want to get old and really obscure, Asheron's Call 2), but I could see but I could see a popular case for Zelda 2 (I also remember a lot of griping about Dragon Age 2 but never played it myself). :synpa:

Mercenaries 2 was pretty good, wasn't it? Wasn't it just more more more of Mercenaries?

Also Asheron's Call 2 was a weird game but after a couple years it became a sort of Diablo 2-like and was pretty fun!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I hated Ultimate Alliance 3 but it’s hard to explain exactly why. It just played badly. I think enemies had too much health and it just didn’t feel satisfying.

I mostly remember it being really grindy. Benched characters didn't level up in the background like the old games, so it was annoying to try to experiment with your team. And there was like some side skill tree with its own currency? It got too fiddly with numbers and wasn't nearly as fun to just pick up and play as UA1 or the X-Men Legends games.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Deus Ex 2 and Devil May Cry 2 both were worse than the first, and had better sequels.

I feel there were probably a bunch of games that made an awkward 2D-3D transition - Prince of Persia comes to mind if you consider Prince of Persia -> Prince of Persia 3D -> Sands of Time as part of the same franchise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crowetron posted:

I mostly remember it being really grindy. Benched characters didn't level up in the background like the old games, so it was annoying to try to experiment with your team. And there was like some side skill tree with its own currency? It got too fiddly with numbers and wasn't nearly as fun to just pick up and play as UA1 or the X-Men Legends games.

I had totally forgotten about the lack of an XP share, so you had to grind or characters would be useless.

Also there were challenge levels you could enter when you found them in levels. You couldn’t exit them and go back to the level where you found them, you had to quit to the main menu and then continue. loving :psyduck: choice right there.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zero_Grade posted:

the worst #2 games in a franchise

Crackdown 2, man what a letdown. Felt like a mission pack for C1 with unfun missions at best.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Crackdown 2, man what a letdown. Felt like a mission pack for C1 with unfun missions at best.

Oh man, I forgot about Crackdown 2. Take the novel idea of an over-the-top Judge Dredd with super powers game and turn it into a generic zombie slog. What an absolute mess. I never checked out Crackdown 3 but whatever it is, it's better than 2.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pacman 2 managed to be the only good game in the Pacman franchise.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Pacman 2 managed to be the only good game in the Pacman franchise.

Thats the one with the slingshot right

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Remnant 2 and the books lying around are super dumb because they are all way too long. This is a third person shooter, I'm not reading 10 pages of lore about some random character.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the best ever games, but you should not play it before you play Baldur's Gate 1, but Baldur's Gate 1 is terrible and should not be played.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFXIV: Shadowbringers may be regarded and all, but this Ran'jit guy loving sucks. Every time he shows up its a 10 minute long scripted boss-fight that's by the numbers. There are no checkpoints with these things and they feel like a gimmick that goes out of hand.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

BG3 is fantastic but it's true that its inventory is weirdly clunky, with a lot of annoyances that have already been solved by older games in the genre. Stuff like each character having their own individual inventory, with their own individual weight limit, despite the fact that you can transfer items between characters or send them to the infinite camp storage any time, even mid-combat, so that the weight limit does literally nothing except force you to do some menuing now and then while looting.

Or the fact that there's no way to access the inventory of party members who aren't currently in the party (especially annoying since you can't add and remove members from a menu, you have to talk to them and go through the whole "stay at camp -> yes really -> walk over to the new guy -> I'd like you to join me" loop every time.)

Apparently the newest BG3 patch addresses exactly this, lol.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been playing Chained Echoes which is a new indie jrpg that fixes a lot of decades old gripes with the genre. For example you start every fight fully healed so there's no reason to hold back on skills and such for "trash" enemies.

My one big gripe is the weapon/armor enhancement system. Each piece of equipment can be enhanced twice, which increases its base stats and its number of sockets from 2 to 4. Gems for the sockets are gathered from the overworld and then crafted in this annoyingly finnicky/grindy/rng enhancement minigame. The problem is, the game throws enough equipment upgrades at you that it just doesn't feel worth the time to engage with this system for a piece of gear you'll toss after 45 minutes. The gems in particular are way more annoying than they should be to unsocket from your previous gear and then socket into the new piece. The game isn't hard enough that you need to engage with any of this, but I wish it was like 50% less fiddly so I felt motivated enough to bother.

That's not a particularly new innovation, it's been done a few times over the years; the first game that springs to mind that did it was Megaman Battle Network. A large reason why most games don't do it is because for any encounter to possibly pose any degree of threat or challenge it has to be capable of reducing you from full to 0 HP since damage doesn't last and there's no meaningful war of attrition in you vs. the dungeon. Which means a lot of the time enemies either wind up incredibly over tuned, or way too weak.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FFXIV: Shadowbringers may be regarded and all, but this Ran'jit guy loving sucks. Every time he shows up its a 10 minute long scripted boss-fight that's by the numbers. There are no checkpoints with these things and they feel like a gimmick that goes out of hand.

Shadowbringers' story was cool but, yeah. I think stormblood was where they really started going ham with the scripted boss battles and they suck, doubly so if you don't super care about whatever villain they're making you fight. I remember the first time Zenos was introduced, you have to fight him in this long rear end scripted fight where not only is he unkillable, but after a couple of minutes he does an instant kill attack on you to prove he's just that much of a badass. Most of the game's fanbase loving loved him. But like, I didn't find the fight interesting or hard at all and had the guy down to like half health and I had barely even gotten hit until he busted out the instakill move and so my takeaway was just like "This is lame, boring, and I don't get what the big deal it; this guy sucks." But I might as well have been saying we should murder the devs for how people took that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Shadowbringers' story was cool but, yeah. I think stormblood was where they really started going ham with the scripted boss battles and they suck, doubly so if you don't super care about whatever villain they're making you fight. I remember the first time Zenos was introduced, you have to fight him in this long rear end scripted fight where not only is he unkillable, but after a couple of minutes he does an instant kill attack on you to prove he's just that much of a badass. Most of the game's fanbase loving loved him. But like, I didn't find the fight interesting or hard at all and had the guy down to like half health and I had barely even gotten hit until he busted out the instakill move and so my takeaway was just like "This is lame, boring, and I don't get what the big deal it; this guy sucks." But I might as well have been saying we should murder the devs for how people took that.

They liked Zenos because he was a Hot Sad Boy who's very strongly implied to be inyo the player character romantically, and that's just exactly what FFXIV'a fanbase most adores.

Ran'jit's actually better than Zenos on all fronts in terms of being a recurring boss character you plot-lose to, but he's a weird buff old guy, so it counts for nothing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nuebot posted:

That's not a particularly new innovation, it's been done a few times over the years; the first game that springs to mind that did it was Megaman Battle Network. A large reason why most games don't do it is because for any encounter to possibly pose any degree of threat or challenge it has to be capable of reducing you from full to 0 HP since damage doesn't last and there's no meaningful war of attrition in you vs. the dungeon. Which means a lot of the time enemies either wind up incredibly over tuned, or way too weak.

Which is exactly what happened in Battle Network, plus when they had one dungeon threaten you with limited healing as its gimmick, it became an infamous annoyance spike.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dragging games down: Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2 got modern pc ports, but Champions of Norrath 1/2 haven't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zero_Grade posted:

Tales from the Borderlands? Hilarious, arguably both the best Borderlands game and the best Telltale game.

New Tales from the Borderlands? Dogshit.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Zero_Grade posted:

I switched to him waking up on a roof in broad daylight once.

Mercenaries 2 gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o

It also had Peter Stormare (also Jennifer Hale and Phil LaMarr but that just means it's a video game with voice acting). It's definitely worse than the first one, though. Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction and Sniper Elite were two of my favorite PS2 games (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, MGS3: Snake Eater, and GTA: San Andreas are the rest of the top 5, but I don't know how I'd actually rank them).

Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2 were both really good sequels that didn't take themselves too seriously most of the time. The ending of the Julius Little mission in SR2 was a real "am I the baddies?" moment, though. Yes, Julius blew you up so hard you turned into a lady, but drat, Playa. Just Cause 2 made para-gliding around really fun, the plot was basically "go blow up everything," and it had BOLO SANTOSI!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Caphi posted:

Which is exactly what happened in Battle Network, plus when they had one dungeon threaten you with limited healing as its gimmick, it became an infamous annoyance spike.

Didn't they ditch that from 2 onward? The first mmbn was like a test case for the series

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Zelda 2 was the first game in the series I ever played so I had no idea that the game was doing it wrong or changing a ton of poo poo so I remember really liking it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zelda 2 seriously has some of the best-feeling controls for an action platformer across the entire NES, the game feels fluid and great to play (especially compared to something like OG Castlevania). It’s really a shame so much of it is sort of inscrutable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

NikkolasKing posted:

DA2 might be my favorite but it's kinda like MGS2 in that "favorite" does not mean "best." As a cohesive, well-made video game, MGS1 and DA Origins are way better. They're actually finished, for one thing. But as for DAO vs. DA2, the origins, the variety in dialogue and characterization choices, the branching paths in quests - DAO destroys DA2 and DAI in these areas. But in spite of all that, DA2 is my favorite because I like the gameplay way more. I like the characters a lot. The Qunari are far and away the most interesting and unique thing about the setting and DA2 gives them the most focus in any of the games. The Arishok is the best antagonist in any BioWare game, for sure.

Someday we'll get DA Legendary Edition. Someday.

DA2 was the first real time party based RPG I'd played, so I played it 'wrong'. I played it pretty much as a hack'n'slash dating simulator and had a great time. I then watched my wife play it using strategy and the other party members abilities and was like 'whoa'.

The arishok was fantastic, I kept going back to see if he had new dialogue after every quest. I was so pissed that I had to kill him halfway through the drat game.

Didn't even get to take him on a date.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Apparently the newest BG3 patch addresses exactly this, lol.

What!?

patch notes posted:

While at camp, you can now access and manage the inventories of companions who aren't in your active party.

Yes! This rules! This couldn't get any b--

patch notes posted:

Boo will no longer take damage when thrown.

YES!!!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Oh man, I forgot about Crackdown 2. Take the novel idea of an over-the-top Judge Dredd with super powers game and turn it into a generic zombie slog. What an absolute mess. I never checked out Crackdown 3 but whatever it is, it's better than 2.
Crackdown 3 was the sequel you wanted for the first game. Except it was released in 2019. And it was meant to be released in 2016. And it was dated even for 2016.
But it would of been loving RAD if it came out in 2010-2013.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Caphi posted:

I'd say the power plant is the low point of the series, but 4 goes some real poo poo places.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

One of my biggest problems with Ran'jit in FFXIV, besides the fact that he's basically just some OP rando who only exists to shoehorn in some tension with no real buildup, is that he was obviously supposed to be a foil/rival for Thancred.
But it's an MMO, and your character isn't Thancred, so he keeps having to be your character's problem to ultimately deal with.

Even the part where you DO temporarily play as Thancred, all you're doing is flailing about trying to stall for time because only the WoL is allowed to take down the boss enemies, when a single player game would have had that be a big character defining moment for Thancred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Every single solo battle duty is a travesty that brings the whole mmo down