Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've had cellular watches for awhile since I've been getting stainless (my current is the titanium Edition edition they made for the S7), and not once have I actually activated cellular, so no, my usage has not changed one iota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What's the best app/way to get sleep stats during your current sleep cycle? Like how long have I actually slept the last X hours? The default sleep seems focused on post-sleep analysis, but I've only used it a couple days.

That was basically all I used my old crappy android watch for. As an insomniac it gets hard to figure sometimes how much you've been actually asleep drifting in and out for hours. I could look at the watch sleep tracker and see while I've been in bed for X hours, I've actually had any kind of sleep for Y hours. It wasn't totally accurate, but it gave me a ballpark automatically. On days where I don't have to set an alarm I used the tracker to determine when I can say gently caress it and drag my corpse out of bed rather than tediously continue to try to sleep in a vain attempt to be less tired all day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone go from a non cellular to a cellular watch? Did it change things/how you used the watch significantly? Thinking about getting the cellular version next watch.

It’s nice, but I’ve had the cellular off and on since the watch 3, and honestly I just always have my phone on me. I rarely used it.

If you’re a runner (I’m not) then it def makes sense.

I’ll likely get the ultra soon but maybe not the cellular again.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FuzzySlippers posted:

What's the best app/way to get sleep stats during your current sleep cycle? Like how long have I actually slept the last X hours? The default sleep seems focused on post-sleep analysis, but I've only used it a couple days.

That was basically all I used my old crappy android watch for. As an insomniac it gets hard to figure sometimes how much you've been actually asleep drifting in and out for hours. I could look at the watch sleep tracker and see while I've been in bed for X hours, I've actually had any kind of sleep for Y hours. It wasn't totally accurate, but it gave me a ballpark automatically. On days where I don't have to set an alarm I used the tracker to determine when I can say gently caress it and drag my corpse out of bed rather than tediously continue to try to sleep in a vain attempt to be less tired all day.

Health app. It doesn't show you realtime if that's what you're asking, not sure what app would, but then you're getting into "sleep" algorithms that are entirely unvetted unlike what Health will do.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Somebody previously recommended Autosleep which seems to work well and I’m fairly sure will do what you’re after.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s nice, but I’ve had the cellular off and on since the watch 3, and honestly I just always have my phone on me. I rarely used it.

If you’re a runner (I’m not) then it def makes sense.

I’ll likely get the ultra soon but maybe not the cellular again.

I mean I’m a runner and I don’t feel like I miss the cellular function. Just sync your favorite running playlist to the watch and you can listen to music. I feel like people should be fine not getting an immediate message back for the hour that you’re working out.

And to the poster who was talking about apple pay, that still works on a non-cellular watch, even if you’re not carrying the phone.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

LPG Giant posted:

I feel like people should be fine not getting an immediate message back for the hour that you’re working out.

Sure there are people for whom this will be true. Myself included. But, the world works as it does because there are lotsa people who feel (inaccurately or accurately) that they need to be reachable in some form in a given hour. People with little kids, I dunno.

That's part of why the product is there.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I tried auto sleep but I couldn’t see any sleep data either until I had passed beyond the sleep hours setup on the phone. I can try disabling that and just manually setting do not disturb I guess and see if that changes anything.

Inner Light posted:

Health app. It doesn't show you realtime if that's what you're asking, not sure what app would, but then you're getting into "sleep" algorithms that are entirely unvetted unlike what Health will do.

Real time sleep tracking just works on Android watches without any setup so I don’t think it’s crazy usage :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What exactly is real-time sleep tracking?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Glimpse posted:

Check your music settings, also podcasts. When I used to use Apple Podcasts it tried to download the entire back catalog of every podcast I was subscribed to more than once.

Btw, this fixed the problem. Why the watch thought continually downloading the four'ish albums in my recently added music was a good idea I'll never know.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LPG Giant posted:

I mean I’m a runner and I don’t feel like I miss the cellular function. Just sync your favorite running playlist to the watch and you can listen to music. I feel like people should be fine not getting an immediate message back for the hour that you’re working out.

And to the poster who was talking about apple pay, that still works on a non-cellular watch, even if you’re not carrying the phone.

The reasons I personally feel cellular is useful are:
- I have kids and need to be get-aholdable just in case there's an emergency or issue that pops up. I have a fitness focus that blocks all messages and calls unless it's my immediate family so I don't get bombed with the boys group chat.
- My wife also runs early in the morning and it's nice to be able to see her location if she's late to make sure she wasn't stuffed into a trunk of a car.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 30, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The reasons I personally feel cellular is useful are:
- I have kids and need to be get-aholdable just in case there's an emergency or issue that pops up. .

This is an obvious lie we all established in the iPhone thread that you hate your kids.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

my android watch could figure out when I went to bed and would continuously update how long I had actually slept since I went to bed (as opposed to lying there being an insomniac). I typically wake up every few hours and it takes a while to back to sleep so it was helpful to know that if I woke up and had slept 6ish hours at least I could just go ahead and get up. Having primary insomnia is awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

This is an obvious lie we all established in the iPhone thread that you hate your kids.

It's so I can hit the decline call button just so they know I'm purposely avoiding them when voicemail kicks in after 1 ring.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Well that settles that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's so I can hit the decline call button just so they know I'm purposely avoiding them when voicemail kicks in after 1 ring.

lol.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The “phases”. It’s supported by fairly well accepted research by MDs with specific sensor machines over the years, and various wearables duplicate this “phase” sensing based on movement mainly, to determine if you are asleep and how asleep you are. This feature typically includes a “time asleep” timer, and is generally what real time sleep tracking means.

The science of sleep seems to have stagnated beyond edgelords lucid dreaming (I kid, I think lucid dreaming is cool) in recent years which is sad, I’m not sure we’ll know much more about it anytime soon.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 2, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

As a lifelong insomniac who’s spent a lot of time with sleep docs and clinics the limits of our sleep knowledge is maddening.

Anyway, autosleep worked better when I turned off the Apple schedule sleep mode settings and hit the button in auto sleep manually. I didn’t play with it much last night but I’m hoping I can tweak it into what I want. The Apple Watch is absurdly better than my Android except figuring out this sleep thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Seems like the thread title might be getting more real in the future

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/11/28/apples-smart-ring-technology-may-not-be-limited-to-fingers

quote:

"The ring device may have a ring shape that allows the ring device to be worn on a body part of a user," says the patent, "(e.g., around a user's wrist, arm, leg, ankle, neck, head, and/or other body part)."

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Maybe one day it will be able to monitor body heat and prevent dongsicles. https://yle.fi/a/74-20063124

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Sleep phases may be real, but I don’t know how accurate the Apple Watch is at detecting them. A couple of times I’ve forgotten to wear the watch until the middle of the night. Sure enough, my ‘deep’ sleep starts shortly after I put the watch on, no matter how long I’ve been asleep beforehand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much all consumer sleep trackers produce garbage data. Over time it might be able to provide some broad trends that you can use to motivate a doctor visit (at which point they'll get you into a real sleep test) but that's it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The real value is in having a vibration alarm attached to your body that’s far less offensive than audio (IMO) and also doesn’t wake up sleeping partners.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TACD posted:

The real value is in having a vibration alarm attached to your body that’s far less offensive than audio (IMO) and also doesn’t wake up sleeping partners.

It sounds like soon the vibration might be a lot more directly useful to partners in bed

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the sleep answers, I was mostly slightly puzzled by the phrase “real-time”.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
We have a Sleep Number bed and everything from my experience points to it being accurate in my use and it's nice because it requires absolutely nothing invasive.

It looks like Withings offers a similar product if you don't want to invest in a bed in that it measures your breathing rate, heart rate, movement and time to fall asleep, time in bed, etc. (We didn't buy the bed because of the sleep tracking, we shopped for weeks for a bed, probably tried close to 100 mattresses and it was the one we both liked.)

It's a really neat technology that I believe it is rumored that Apple will adapt soon, basically every time your heart beats there is a tiny physical reaction throughout your body, this seems obvious with breathing but if you have a sensor sensitive enough you can passively monitor heart rate just by laying on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9002520/

quote:

We evaluated the performance of the Sleep Number smart bed system in measuring cardiorespiratory endpoints characteristic of sleep and wakefulness, sleep vs. wake status, and summary sleep variables using PSG as the gold standard for comparison. Our dedicated study conformed with multiple recommendations of the guidelines for validation of wearables for sleep outcomes proposed by Depner et al. [20], including recordings obtained under laboratory conditions, manual PSG scoring according to AASM rules, careful synchronization of PSG versus smart bed signals, use of epoch-by-epoch data, use of Bland–Altmann metrics, and use of sensitivity and specificity measures.

The results showed that the measurements of overnight HR and BR generated by the smart bed had biases of <1 beat per minute and <1 breath per minute, respectively. These biases are sufficiently small that they are unlikely to have clinical significance.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wore the android watch alongside medical sleep monitors I had attached for at home sleep testing and later when I looked at the reports they were fairly similar on the basics :shrug:

There's a lot of noise about sleep hacking ideas with phases that isn't very relevant to me so I don't care about any of that. How tired you feel when you wake doesn't really tell you how tired you are going to feel over your day so being able to get insights into how much you've actually slept is helpful for someone with sleep problems and a fairly flexible sleeping schedule.

Unrelated: I found it was much cheaper to buy official apple magsafe chargers for the watch and phone and one of those stands you just insert them into rather than any of the well-reviewed duo chargers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone happen to know a bumper case for the AW Ultra, that has raised lips around the dial and buttons, to essentially prevent accidental clicking by say a wrist guard I'd be wearing? On a quick glance, they're all just protective covers that still let you click the buttons.

--edit: Pretty much what I want is a bumper case that makes the buttons recessed.

--edit: To be honest, they should make the previous focus/water unlock via dial rotation an option again. Which would fix it (after them breaking it).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 3, 2023

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone happen to know a bumper case for the AW Ultra, that has raised lips around the dial and buttons, to essentially prevent accidental clicking by say a wrist guard I'd be wearing? On a quick glance, they're all just protective covers that still let you click the buttons.

--edit: Pretty much what I want is a bumper case that makes the buttons recessed.

--edit: To be honest, they should make the previous focus/water unlock via dial rotation an option again. Which would fix it (after them breaking it).

I don't have a suggestion for a bumper case, but does putting the dial and button on the side furthest from your wrist help? It's the first setting I change when I get an Apple Watch because doing any kind of barbell work will trigger those buttons for me if I don't put them on the other side

I was worried that there was still the action button on the Ultra, but hasn't been an issue for me at all since it's flushed

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tried that, the rim of the wrist guard still triggers it. I guess I could disable the action button.

It's this rim constantly hitting the watch (the other side is p. much the same):

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wear it on your dong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Wear it on your dong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Wear it on your dong.

This or I just end up flipping the watch around on my wrist because I haven’t come up with a good solution either.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

This or I just end up flipping the watch around on my wrist because I haven’t come up with a good solution either.

:same: I’ve had my watch flipped since the first week I had it because my wrist bone kept pressing the crown button

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Tried that, the rim of the wrist guard still triggers it. I guess I could disable the action button.

It's this rim constantly hitting the watch (the other side is p. much the same):

I have and use these same wrist guards with my AW but it’s not the Ultra. Just put the watch further up your arm, still gets HR measurements.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I had my watch reversed too until the ultra and then the action button got pressed constantly so I switched it back and it’s been fine in the right direction ever since :iiam:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It keeps slamming into buttons which ever way I wear it and disable fitness tracking eventually. No matter how high up my arm, it’ll slide down and get hit again.

Meanwhile I found this one, which I guess will do the job (action button facing wrist guard):

https://www.spigen.com/products/apple-watch-series-lock-fit

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Previously on My Posting, I lamented the kind of blunt approach Apple (and, I guess, Google) take to the recommendations their fitness tracking apps make, on the basis that while generally moving more is good, their basic offerings make no allowances for breaks or rest days and rely on you inputting an arbitrary calorie target and then judge you for not meeting it every day. I also broadly approved of Gentler Streak, an app that likes to do away with numbers and instead give you a visualisation of whether you're broadly doing enough work to maintain or improve your fitness while noting that it's really just a skin on top of TRIMP, an algorithm anyone can use, and it charges a goddamn subscription to let you do things like... see your past data.

Another fitness app I have installed is HealthFit. It's a one-time purchase and it aggregates data from a variety of sources, notably Apple Health and anything that writes into that, but also some other apps directly. It functions well as a browser for the surprisingly dense data that your watch can generate from a workout because sometimes it's fun to dive into that stuff. It also, of course, can run everything through TRIMP to plot a lot of graphs. Basically, it's for nerds. The thing is, though, it added a new visualisation lately. It looks like this:

You'll note that this is basically identical to the visualisation Gentler Streak gives you, if you're familiar. In other words, they're starting to catch on. You can even see the complete history of the sweet spot bar for as long as you have workout records (it's all retroactive), no subscription required.

I have a theory: the only thing 99% of people who want to use a smartwatch and phone as a fitness tracker actually want from it besides a readout of calories is an estimation of whether they are working out a) probably not enough, b) probably enough, or c) probably too much. Especially if you're starting out and don't actually have a solid plan yet, you're not going to want to nerd out over a bunch of graphs but also picking a high number of calories out of the air and trying to burn that every single day is a great way to get injured. Closing your rings is nice but by far the better motif is simply keep the bar in the Good Zone. If you're a beginner, it's going to be a while before deeply optimising your exercise is going to matter more than just getting your high heart rate time up to a good amount but you're the most at risk of injury if you just push hard all the time. You have a simple goal, but that goal has nuance and requires pacing.

Basically, none of this stuff is quite there yet but I hope Apple in particular, the platform holder, the OS maker, figures out a way to bring all these ideas together and get the Watch to live up to the dream a lot of people have before they actually use it - that they can put it on and be immediately given meaningful fitness advice. There's a lot of room for nuance but I think it will basically look like this; a bar you have to keep in the middle. Until then, I'm going to keep recommending to anyone who's buying a new watch and who doesn't already have some particular fitness subscription to use Gentler Streak instead of the default workout app. Right now, it still does a lot of really good, well integrated things you can't replicate with other apps; of course it has the Enough Working Out bar, but it also has a workout tracker that lets you see that bar update in real time as you work, the ability to recommend certain workouts based on how much you want to move the bar, and a basic but quite functional wellness check that will do things like proactively recommend you take a rest day if you've got a bunch of metrics indicating badly. Overall it's the kind of thing I expect Apple to some day replicate, as standard.

...now, all of that said. I got this watch when I decided "gently caress it, I'm gonna lose the weight". This was in March. I have now, in so many words, done that, I have turned this ship the gently caress around, I have done it in literally half the time I thought it was going to take, and 80% of the time I was using only the stock Fitness apps, so I guess they aren't that bad. I will say, though, that for almost all of that time I had the Move goal set very low because my brain didn't like not having a streak of closed rings and would simply quadruple-close it most days. Brains are weird. But also, I literally did injure myself doing too much at first, and in my retroactive TRIMP data, you can literally see the graph rocketing up into that red zone right as it happened. It could have saved me from a month of achilles tendinopathy. I would have heeded the computer.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't really give a poo poo about Apple's own fitness tracking app, because it's designed by people that don't seem to do sports. poo poo like walking and running not taking elevation changes into account on all the other estimators. Or biking not being split into categories for calorie estimation. A road bike isn't an enduro MTB isn't an e-bike. There's probably more, but those are the three sports I do, and the watch does badly in anything other than GPS and simple heart rate tracking.

That said, yea, HealthFit is a dope app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh, I never realized HealthFit did that graph thing. I’ve always just used it to automatically sync workouts to Strava. Neat!