Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Why tf do I have to wait 6 more hours for Tevi to be out

Edit: let's gooooooo

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023

Heath posted:

Yeah I think I kinda prefer these type of games to be very light on the story.

Every one I play just makes me appreciate Bloodstained more. What a gem that game is

Bloodstained was so good. I really wish there were more igavanias being made. The amount of build variety you can have in those titles is so varied. Wish more titles over the past few years had copied that instead of Hollow Knight. HK is fun...but like, sometimes I like to just mindlessly grind for new gear or upgrades to current gear.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found out kicking was an option and you better befuckinglieve I kicked my way through Bloodstained twice

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gerrund_ing posted:

Bloodstained was so good. I really wish there were more igavanias being made. The amount of build variety you can have in those titles is so varied. Wish more titles over the past few years had copied that instead of Hollow Knight. HK is fun...but like, sometimes I like to just mindlessly grind for new gear or upgrades to current gear.

Im in the middle of Blasphemous 2 and while its perfectly fine and good, I just wish it was Bloodstained

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Please, IGA, just give us Bloodstained 2! We're begging to be able to give you our money!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Please, IGA, just give us Bloodstained 2! We're begging to be able to give you our money!

It's coming, eventually. From a stream the Community Manager, Question, did in July:

Q: Bloodstained 2 when?

A: We have to finish 1 first. Still no release date for Chaos or VS modes. I'm hoping September or October. Paid DLCs will come after Kickstarter items are done (Chaos and VS mode). Classic Mode 2, "is looking good". Once all the Paid DLCs are done, "then we'll start talking about sequels". As for 2, we didn't want to talk about it, but we managed to accidently leak out what we're working on, and so...

Sadly, those 2 modes haven't been released yet. They're proving troublesome. In September, Iga himself put a video on YouTube saying they were delayed, and apologizing for said delay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iga, pleae, I beg you. I dont care about the promised DLC. I forgive you. I swear, it means nothing to me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
They got caught in the Yacht Club kickstarter trap where they have to make the game and it's sequels all in one

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there anybody, literally anybody, who is actually demanding any of the unreleased DLC before a second game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

Is there anybody, literally anybody, who is actually demanding any of the unreleased DLC before a second game

Iga, I guess.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah but can you imagine the internet poo poo storm if they said "guess we are not going to do it"?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's been so long though that I would imagine that even the most petty gamer would not care at this point Actually no, I probably should not underestimate gamer pettiness.

EDIT: I am playing Tevi, and I wish that the game properly supported 1280x800 so I can play it on my steam deck and not have to choose between not having the whole screen being used or have the pixel art look slightly stretched out. Neither are dealbreakers though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 30, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wrapping up the last bits of Blaphemous 2 and its surprising to me how much it bugs me the Catholic imagery is thrown in with no respect to the settings interesting concept to the story and settings detriment. Ts so well drawn and animated throughout it should gain points but its so clearly an aesthetic over meaning its losing points for me.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Barudak posted:

Wrapping up the last bits of Blaphemous 2 and its surprising to me how much it bugs me the Catholic imagery is thrown in with no respect to the settings interesting concept to the story and settings detriment. Ts so well drawn and animated throughout it should gain points but its so clearly an aesthetic over meaning its losing points for me.

While 2 was better as an actual game, Storywise and World design wise I think 1 already told basically all there was to tell with the concept. 2 is kinda lazy and almost perfunctory in how it’s just “Welp I guess Catholicstan got all nasty again guess you better do something about it…” like it’s janitor duty and everything is catholic themed less because it’s part of the world building and more because thats what 1 did. The areas themselves are beautiful but they seem kind of arbitrary and disconnected from each other.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FireWorksWell posted:

Afterimage is a strange beast. I find the "collision damage + foreground hiding enemies" a bit cheap, the apparent lack of a proofreader put me off from giving a poo poo about background info ans the skill tree is overwhelming.

On the other, game does feel and look great to move and fight in once I got used to it and it's nice having bosses that I've gotta learn patterns for after how easy bloodstained was.

You get a few respecs, so just gently caress aound until you find the weapons you like. I personally like all the stuff in the right hand trees, the dual blades are great and the whip combos well with them to give you a solid range option. The Scythe is also ridiculously good.

Elemental damage s stupid and pointless, don't bother. Get dat crit. Health and Mana regen are in the top left and should be grabbed asap.

I'm going into the endgame on it currently, though apparently the game has like 8 different endings you need to unlock via quests and stuff, and NG+ is a completely different mode. Seems to have taken notes from Nier on that front, which is kinda cool.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fuzz posted:

You get a few respecs, so just gently caress aound until you find the weapons you like. I personally like all the stuff in the right hand trees, the dual blades are great and the whip combos well with them to give you a solid range option. The Scythe is also ridiculously good.

Elemental damage s stupid and pointless, don't bother. Get dat crit. Health and Mana regen are in the top left and should be grabbed asap.

I'm going into the endgame on it currently, though apparently the game has like 8 different endings you need to unlock via quests and stuff, and NG+ is a completely different mode. Seems to have taken notes from Nier on that front, which is kinda cool.

Yeah, most of my points have gone in the right side so far, will keep an eye out for the regens. I always gravitate towards scythes in games and this one hasn't disappointed me at all. I've got the whip as secondary and that aerial AOE is so useful for clearing enemies on ledges above you.

I didn't know NG+ changed a lot, looking forward to that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My beef with the Whip is that it's so goddamn good its final skill just unlocks synergies with other stuff, and most of it is stuff on the left hand side and NOT the dual blades, I think because the designers realized it was already a solid combo.

Dualies and Scythe are rad once you get to the end of each because the dualies have a diagonal downward boomerang throw you can do in the air that hits a buttload of times, and the scythe has a horizontal throw that works the same way, so you can just run around boomerang fighting and using the other attack while the scythe is bouncing around. Scythe toss + ginsu mode is really great for just making GBS threads damage, and scythe toss + whip combos or even basic whip is a really great long range pokey combo.

That said, apparently the katana is stupidly good once you full unlock it, and even though you attack less often, each hit procs like 5 times or something and you stack damage very quickly, which given some of the bosses I'm now facing, that actually seems like it would be great. Whip + Katana even has a solid synergy attack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most of the AI has no real answer to the scythe throw and it trivializes all but a few bosses.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Owl Inspector posted:

Most of the AI has no real answer to the scythe throw and it trivializes all but a few bosses.

I'm gonna try not to abuse that, I like how tense the boss fights have been but this game can be rude enough that I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The storyline is so loving dumb.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fuzz posted:

The storyline is so loving dumb.

I found it a funny reversal in that In Anime games you always kill god, but in Afterimage the goal is to stop the villain from killing god.

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023

Heath posted:

Outside of a few weirdos on steam, I don't think so. The game had more than enough extra DLC and has more content than like any other Igavania as it is. I really hope that they've at least got people working on concept art and stuff...so that way once these MP modes that like only 10 people will play gets released, they'll at least have some of a start on the second game.

Honestly I wish they had a mode kind of like Harmony of Despair instead of MP...that game had such a cool idea. Like that game just needed a way more robust loot/farming/crafting system and more stages and I think it could have done well.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I got Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread in the previous sale as it hit its historic low of 60% off and highly recommend it.

It really sank its hooks into me and I've been playing at any opportunity all week. While it certainly has some negatives, the lack of fast travel points mostly, it more than makes up for as an overall package.

There's a huge amount of enemy variety, every new area has 4-6 new enemies and I think only 1 or 2 were palette swaps.
From the start the map shows whether or not an area has any remaining collectables and there's a merchant who sells completed maps later in the game.
The bosses all felt challenging but not unfair and more importantly, absolutely zero multiple stage bosses.

It took me just over 17 hours to finish with 100% and was easily worth the price. Check it out, especially if it goes back to 60% off in the Xmas sale.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 2, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gerrund_ing posted:

Outside of a few weirdos on steam, I don't think so. The game had more than enough extra DLC and has more content than like any other Igavania as it is. I really hope that they've at least got people working on concept art and stuff...so that way once these MP modes that like only 10 people will play gets released, they'll at least have some of a start on the second game.

Honestly I wish they had a mode kind of like Harmony of Despair instead of MP...that game had such a cool idea. Like that game just needed a way more robust loot/farming/crafting system and more stages and I think it could have done well.

It was before Konami or anyone else fully understood "maps need to be free, characters and everything cosmetic is where you make the money"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's been mentioned once or twice but Ato is another one that's worth keeping an eye on. It's a quality metroidvania with a roughly 4-6 hour playtime and a lot of well-designed boss fights.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I found it a funny reversal in that In Anime games you always kill god, but in Afterimage the goal is to stop the villain from killing god.

I had been hoping that Renee would end up actually being god, broken into multiple pieces.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Bro this isn’t Discord

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

One thing I really like is that you get full HP/MP recovery when you finish off a boss fight or ambush room, because I almost always have very low health by the end of both.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

FireWorksWell posted:

One thing I really like is that you get full HP/MP recovery when you finish off a boss fight or ambush room, because I almost always have very low health by the end of both.

Speaking of which, I’m a bit sad that Tevi combines Rabi-Ribi’s complete bastard habit of putting bosses behind difficult stage sections (without a save point) with a less friendly autosave. Harsh! Fortunately the game seems a bit easier than RR so far.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I do not like Blast Brigade/Dr. Cread at all. I wanted to like it, it's polished, but I hated every second I spent with it. Your health is very low, you can't restore it very easily, there are all kinds of spikes everywhere, and yeah, the fast travel system is atrocious.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I agree the early game is much harder than the rest, I found this around the mid game which pretty much eliminated chip damage:

Then later on still the ultimate weapons are absurdly powerful (one of which is a railgun :love:)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

nrook posted:

Bro this isn’t Discord

:doh:

Thanks, fixed it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You ever see an achievement pop and just feel a sense of terror?

When one of the most open-ended games in this genre tells me "dunno what you just did, YOLO" I immediately get worried.

Edit: lmao my save file and story progress just jumped 6 chapters next time I made it to a save point

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 4, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally started Aeterna Noctis and geez this game feels overwhelmingly huge early on.

Also that first time trial I did can gently caress off. I imagine they're just a side thing but oof

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Martman posted:

Finally started Aeterna Noctis and geez this game feels overwhelmingly huge early on.

Also that first time trial I did can gently caress off. I imagine they're just a side thing but oof

Ho ho ho they're not and also the game gets so much more bullshit as you progress.

... enjoy? I'm a Metroidvania addict that will play through most, but it's one of the few I just got over halfway through and couldn't be bothered to finish it. gently caress the assholes who designed that mess.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The time trials were added in DLC somewhat recently weren't they? I'm having trouble finding anything about them unlocking stuff, but I'm trying to be careful about other spoilers so idk.

The trial was fundamentally not awful and I like the platforming a lot so far, it just seemed like the requirement for the platinum time was unnecessarily rude

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Ho ho ho they're not and also the game gets so much more bullshit as you progress.

Yes, they are.

You get money for completing them, and I believe you can "complete" them with any time. You might have to get bronze. I'm not sure, I don't remember because after a certain point, like all metroidvanias, money stops mattering and you can just buy out every shop even without getting extra cash from the trials.

Martman posted:

The time trials were added in DLC somewhat recently weren't they? I'm having trouble finding anything about them unlocking stuff, but I'm trying to be careful about other spoilers so idk.

The trial was fundamentally not awful and I like the platforming a lot so far, it just seemed like the requirement for the platinum time was unnecessarily rude

Just a note on the challenge: there's no real ending card or something for beating the game on Hard mode only. You can freely choose to, at any point, switch to Normal mode and clear a particularly bullshit boss fight or platforming room if you want to.

KNR
May 3, 2009
The platinum requirements are indeed quite rude, there's a reason their achievements are in the <0.5% range. I did a few and most required nearly flawless execution, for the ones that didn't I presumably found a faster route than the devs intended. They are completely optional, nothing else in the game asks for that level of timing precision.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Now that I know they're just for extra challenge I don't mind the time trials.

The game is pretty great so far, my main issue is that the visuals get too busy sometimes along with enemy hitboxes doin weird stuff like weapons only damaging you when they swing them, so sometimes it can get real hard to keep track of actual sources of damage vs. random particle effects or foreground nonsense or whatever.

Also this "How to play" menu is pretty fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

claw game handjob posted:

You ever see an achievement pop and just feel a sense of terror?

When one of the most open-ended games in this genre tells me "dunno what you just did, YOLO" I immediately get worried.

Edit: lmao my save file and story progress just jumped 6 chapters next time I made it to a save point

Which game is this? It sounds like my sort of thing!