Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
On the subject of greens, I used mustard greens and kale in this recipe from Bryant Terry's Afro-Vegan book, and they were maybe the best greens I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I made a Cottage (Gardener's?) Pie, served with a side of steamed broccoli. The recipe calls for green lentils but I'm curious to see if using a smaller-sized lentil like black or brown will enhance the texture.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, jinx. I also (sort of) made a gardener's pie a couple of nights ago. But then it got hot, and I didn't want to switch the oven on, so I just did it on the hob and served the mash alongside the filling.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is a good egg replacer for baking cookies? I want to make snickerdoodle cookies.

E: Planning on using Stella Park’s recipe because it calls for mixing in coconut oil with the butter. I don’t have coconut oil or butter but I have Mikoyo’s plant based butter which is coconut oil and cultured cashew milk… so good enough. Plus I’ve used it before in a 1:1 substitution to make a vegan version of the serious eats best chocolate chip cookie before so I’m fairly confident it works. For that cookie I used Bob Red Mill Egg Replacer but nowadays I see a bunch of different choices.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 2, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I've got a bag of ground flax that says it can be mixed with a little water as a egg replacer.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Aquafaba from chickpeas is normally pretty good.

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Been sick lately so I decided to make this recipe to have something warm and comforting without relying on chicken noodle soup. Man that is RICH. It's delicious, but it ended up being too much on a sickly tummy. Still, definitely saving it for a literal rainy day when I'm not sick.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

I made a Cottage (Gardener's?) Pie, served with a side of steamed broccoli. The recipe calls for green lentils but I'm curious to see if using a smaller-sized lentil like black or brown will enhance the texture.

This looks great, I’d try this if you care to share the recipe

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

cat posts.txt posted:

Been sick lately so I decided to make this recipe to have something warm and comforting without relying on chicken noodle soup. Man that is RICH. It's delicious, but it ended up being too much on a sickly tummy. Still, definitely saving it for a literal rainy day when I'm not sick.

It's honestly a great recipe, but I agree it tends to be pretty heavy.

This minestrone skipping the gremolata can work well while sick or this one for a ginger turmeric broth when skipping the cayenne makes a light sick soup.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

This looks great, I’d try this if you care to share the recipe

Sure! It's probably a bit convoluted, but my partner enjoys it, so I'm happy to continue making it. I also added a bunch of extra veg like celery, carrot, zucchini and peas to help stretch out the number of portions. Using tinned lentils will probably also significantly reduce the cooking time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
hello vegan thread goons, I have a question and I'm wondering if you all have suggestions.

I'm looking for a good christmas gift for my vegan friend. They drink a carton or two of oat milk a week and I'm debating getting them a cheaper way to get their milk of choice. They also recently got a house and are looking for ways to save cash.

So I'm wondering what would be the best way, both in terms of cost and convenience, to do that and came here to see if you could give me some advice.

So far I've found:

oat milk powder: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SZBBBRW which promises to turn a powder into at milk

oat milk bags, which they can use with their high power blender, to make it at home: https://www.amazon.com/Pcs-Nut-Milk-Bags-Straining/dp/B088YWNK52

a cheaper nut milk maker to see if they'd actually be interested in it without dropping a ton of $$$ on a gift they might not like: https://www.amazon.com/VEGAPUNK-Milk-Maker-Machine-20oz/dp/B0BHV6YFN3

an expensive but bigger nut milk maker: https://www.amazon.com/Almond-Cow-Homemade-Stainless-Machines/dp/B0B72K8Q4G

The things I want to keep in mind:

size, their kitchen is pretty tiny
sound, like most people they don't love loud sustained sounds like a blender
ease, since who the gently caress wants to do a lot of work before they can enjoy coffee
price, specifically the ongoing cost of ingredients for them - I'm not fussed about dropping hundreds on this if it helps my friend

So do you folks have any suggestions or advice? Thank you in advance!! :)

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
You get oat milk if you whisk together oat flour and water, that's the absolute cheapest way to do it. Some fat and salt for taste too. The oat milk I buy has a lot of vitamins added so I'd check your friend's doesn't since replacing those could be a bit annoying. Tbh doing oat milk myself is not something I'd ever bother doing and I use it quite a lot.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
There isn't one obvious best oat milk option, I think. Different people will like different things. Some people love to squeeze nut bags, others can't stand it, etc. Pretty much anything except I guess that powder is going to be a fair amount of work, since you can only make so much oat milk at a time (it goes bad without preservatives so you can't make like 15 gallons at once). I've never used the powder but people on Amazon like it. Maybe that's the best option? It's certainly the easiest. Not a very permanent or cheap solution though.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
It seems like some sort of subscription order for their oat milk of choice would be a better idea than something that adds faff to the process of dumping some milk out of a carton. How much would a year's worth run you vs some of the other options you're considering?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'd use powder, for less environmental waste, but at least in the UK it's always ridiculously expensive.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do you know if your friend would want to make their own oat milk? Tbh I personally would not want to bother making my own oat milk as the convenience of having it cold in the fridge from a carton whenever I want is worth more than the time and inconvenience I imagine it would be to have to constantly make oat milk.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 3, 2023

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you know if your friend would want to make their own oat milk? Tbh I personally would not want to bother making my own oat milk as the convenience of having it cold in the fridge from a carton whenever I want is worth more than the time and inconvenience I imagine it would be to have to constantly make oat milk.

I actually looked up how to make oat milk a few days ago. This video is what I found. She throws in some kind of enzyme from a pill to make it "not slimy."

It's not a difficult process, but its shelf life when making it at home (2-4 days) isn't great.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

tokin opposition posted:

So do you folks have any suggestions or advice? Thank you in advance!! :)

Massively agree with Boris Galerkin here. Make sure this is something your friend actually wants to do; making daily necessities from scratch gets tedious really quickly.
That said, a nice "hey, I want to get you this gift, but don't want to get the wrong thing, so you pick one for me to buy you" is generally a safe bet.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is a good egg replacer for baking cookies? I want to make snickerdoodle cookies.

E: Planning on using Stella Park’s recipe

This depends entirely on what the eggs are doing in the cookie. In baked goods, eggs serve (let's make it easy and say) 5 basic purposes: bind, leaven, add structure, emulsify, and add flavour.
I've never had a snickerdoodle, so I'm not sure what the end result is supposed to be like, so it's a little difficult to judge. I assume it's to emulsify the butter and sugar, making the cookies light and soft (rather than dense and crumbly). For that purpose, I'd be going with aquafaba. A flax egg is good for binding, not so good for emulsifying, and will make them denser.

That said, though, if it were me, I'd be looking for an eggless snickerdoodle recipe, and making substitutions with the fat (butter, oil, etc.) rather than the eggs; eggs are a really complex ingredient and substituting them can be a fabulous way to gently caress things up.
This recipe from MinimalistBaker is eggless and even explicitly mentions using Miyoko's.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 4, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Thanks all, I decided to go with an instant pot and new teapot, with a cheapo bag of premade oat milk powder as a low-stress way to give it a try. Mostly they got me onto drinking oat milk and I'm mad how expensive it is compared to the ingredients. :) Appreciate all your input, I'll try to swing by again and report on how well it works.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A couple of days ago, I watched this Japanese mixed rice video, and have made mixed rice 5 times since :keke:
Her basic recipe is 150g rice, 200ml(-ish) dashi, 1 or 2 types of veg, protein, aromatics (garlic, ginger) and flavourings (soy sauce, mirin, etc.) and it's a real winner. Add to pot; bring to a boil over high heat with lid on; lower heat to low, simmer with lid on until the water is gone (15 minutes-ish); turn off heat, mix, leave to steam for 10 minutes; serve.
I don't have a donabi, so I'm just using a regular (unfortunately thin-bottomed) saucepan. I've had to reduce the liquid a tiny bit (190ml-ish), and am not sure if these 2 facts are related.

This is my favourite so far:

Garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, black vinegar, a lemongrass bouquet garni, pumpkin, defrosted frozen peas, and sliced tofu marinated in soy sauce.
Served it with a basic stir fry for extra veg. 5/5.

Got some cheap-ish granny smiths, so I experimented with making galettes in the air fryer.

It worked well enough, but they would've been better in the oven.

Made soğuk baklava.

No recipe.
Used almonds, walnuts and cashews instead of pistachios.
Very tasty.

Made a dark chocolate tart, worried it wouldn't be interesting enough, topped it with a layer of orange.

Not bad at all.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Any suggestions for using up half a dozen leeks the neighbour gave me that aren't potato and leek soup or quiche ? Keeping in mind that it is summer here and it is stinking hot.

Never mind; I have a plan.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 8, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I just like dreaming up ideas so you’re getting these anyway sorry.

Twice baked potatoes stuffed with leeks and whatever else you want.

Mushroom, leek, and coconut milk. Idk could go like Thai curry spices with it or get it a bit sour and do like a stroganoff kinda deal with noodles.

I wonder how miso soup would be with leeks?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Made an almost* vegan version of this chinese-japanese dish: https://www.justonecookbook.com/beef-green-pepper-stir-fry/

Only major change made to the recipe was using shimeji mushrooms instead of beef and shishito peppers instead of bell peppers

*i also used water instead of chicken broth and there is a tiny amount of oyster sauce in this, but there are vegan versions

Very good, would eat again

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

We use leeks instead of onion in recipes sometimes, just a straight sub.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I made Turkish braised leeks.
hosed with the recipe, obvs.
Used pearl barley instead of bulgur. Added lots of extra carrot. Added an onion to stretch the leeks a bit further. Used stock instead of water. Added a tin of chickpeas at the end, aquafaba and all. Left out the fresh tomato because I didn't have any.
Served it with steamed veg, salad, and mediocre store-bought roti (because flat bread's flat bread; don't come for me).

It wasn't bad at all. If I make it again, I'll try to intensify the flavours a bit more, but pretty good nonetheless.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I made a chickpea, coconut and cashew curry last night and served it with a little bit of lime pickle.

It's not much to look at, but my partner enjoys it a lot and has it with a mint/cilantro chutney. Normally I make the garam masala from scratch (which definitely bumps up the flavours) but I was time-poor so opted for store-bought.

The lime pickle is such an incredible hit of salty and tart, but it's very easy to overdo. So good.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How different is the lime pickle from mango pickle? I’ve got some mango pickle and I love the stuff. Bracingly salty and sour, but with a spicy and floral taste to it.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Good question. I feel like the lime pickle lacks the fruity/floral elements but maybe more salty/sour. I've only had mango pickle a couple of times several months ago but can't recall the specific flavour.

All I can remember of it was that I wasn't a fan, mainly because each serving was filled with shards of mango seed.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

They are super different. Lime pickle is overwhelmingly lime-y to the point that I don't think they're close to the same condiment beyond being similar preparations. Also mixed pickle feels like mild lime pickle because again the lime is so overwhelming.

And yeah the worst thing about mango pickle is how it's so inconsistent, at least the brands I've tried. I feel like you need to chop it up and sort for hard bits if you're putting it in anything.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fall Dog posted:

Good question. I feel like the lime pickle lacks the fruity/floral elements but maybe more salty/sour. I've only had mango pickle a couple of times several months ago but can't recall the specific flavour.

All I can remember of it was that I wasn't a fan, mainly because each serving was filled with shards of mango seed.

Look for Bedekar Vadu Mango pickles. It’s made of tiny little mangoes and the seeds are soft and also pickled. It will ruin you for other pickles.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Phigs posted:

And yeah the worst thing about mango pickle is how it's so inconsistent, at least the brands I've tried. I feel like you need to chop it up and sort for hard bits if you're putting it in anything.

What do you mean by hard parts? Are you trying to eat the shell? Lol

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What do you mean by hard parts? Are you trying to eat the shell? Lol

Nah I'm complaining you have to pick out the shell.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with making fake meat at home since I love to cook anyway and all of the commercial stuff has too much plastic packaging. I've made everything to vegan buffalo chicken roller bites (like you find at QT or RaceTrac), to nuggets - both with TVP, as well as seitan nuggets. I've been craving something other than nuggets as of late, and my evolved “chicken” recipe has been coming out pretty good.

I figured the resulting "meat," when shredded, was the right texture to work in a gumbo. But for a proper non-seafood gumbo you need sausage too. So I made an attempt at homemade vegan sausage and they came out awesome. (I tried reddening them with beet juice, but it wasn't enough color to overpower the other ingredients.)

I whipped together a roux Wednesday night and made my gumbo recipe, modified using “no chicken” broth. Very happy with the end result, though I'm pissed that I didn't have any Crystal on hand.

Fake Chicken
- Dump a can of cannellini beans into a food processor along with about a tablespoon each of olive oil, lemon juice, and miso paste, and process until smooth.
- Add 1⅔ cup of wheat gluten, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 2 teaspoons each of garlic salt and onion powder and vegan chicken seasoning, and process until you get a crumbly dough
- Take the dough out of the food processor and mash it into a ball, then divide the ball into thirds.
- Take each third and roll it out into a rope, twist the rope tight enough to form visible diagonal lines but not tight enough that it breaks, then knot the thing like a pretzel.
- Simmer the knots in "no chicken" broth for about an hour.
- Remove the knots from the broth and shred them in a large bowl using a couple of forks.

Fake Sausage
- In a large bowl, combine 1½ cups of HOT water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 4 tablespoons of soy sauce (or liquid aminos), 1 tablespoon of molasses, 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Grind ½ cup of walnut pieces just enough to get varying sized crumbles. Some of it will end up being walnut powder. That's okay. That's good.
- Add 1½ cups of wheat gluten, ½ cup all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 2 teaspoons each of garlic salt and onion powder, your walnut grind, and crushed red pepper flakes/fennel seeds/smoked paprika/sage to taste.
- Mix well. The end result should be something between dough and paste.
- In ¼ cup measurements, scoop the paste on to a sheet of aluminum foil and press/roll into a tube. Pinch the ends, and repeat until the mixture is gone.
- Steam the sausages for an hour.
- Remove the sausages from the steamer, allow them to cool, then unwrap, and use them to do whatever you would do with meat sausages.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

This looks really good!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Fall Dog posted:

This looks really good!

Thanks. I was super happy with how it's been coming out. I won't pretend that the flavor is just like real chicken but it's a decent mimic.

Protip: I've found that the outer layer of the fake chicken can sometimes be a bit too moist after it comes out of the simmer. Tossing the shredded hunks into a dehydrator at 90°F for an hour or two fixes that really really well, evening it out and dramatically improving the texture in those cases.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Instead of the shepherd’s pie, I made this gratin which turned out Very Good

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/11234-white-bean-and-mushroom-gratin

I don’t drink so I made this fake sherry to go in the gravy which also turned out Very Good

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cookscountry/how_tos/9785-sherry-substitute

I Will Be Making This Again in place of my holiday roast for one of the lesser holidays.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I turned the remaining leeks into mini crustless quiches, made with besan flour, cooked in the airfryer.
Not bad.

Made a chocolate and berry cake, based on this recipe.

I'm not gluten free, so I used wholemeal plain flour in place of the rice flour and psyllium husks. Added some instant coffee (can't have chocolate without coffee; it helps bring out the chocolate flavour), and vanilla extract. Used frozen mixed berries in place of the fresh blueberries.
I served it with banana "ice cream" (frozen banana blended with some vanilla), and had the leftovers with sweetened yoghourt.
All in all, pretty decent. For me, though, the cake wasn't sweet enough on its own.

Made my dad carrot cake for his birthday.

For the cake, I used the veganised Nigella carrot, ginger and walnut cake recipe I've posted before (10/10).
Increased the carrot, ginger and walnut. Used wholemeal flour. Used a mashed banana in place of the oil. Used golden syrup in place of the brown sugar. Added some mixed spice.

For the icing, I fudged together a basic cream cheese frosting.
Didn't have any butter, so I whipped coconut oil. Surprisingly, the coconut flavour wasn't perceptible.
Roughly: 65g coconut oil, 250g vegan cream cheese, 1 cup (250ml) icing powder, a splash of lemon juice and vanilla, some citric acid.

I don't actually like frosting, but it was pretty loving good. 10/10.

I also used the mixed rice system I posted about earlier to make a... laksa-style rice thing (?)
Fried off some onions and Thai red curry paste, added brown rice, pre-soaked white beans and veg to the pot. Added stock and vegan fysh sauce. Cooked according to the mixed rice method, then realised I'm an idiot and brown rice takes a lot longer to cook than white; cooked it longer (35+ minutes rather than 15-ish). Cooked it with the lid off towards the end to allow more water to evaporate, then added a carton of coconut cream, brought it to a boil, killed the heat and let it steam with the lid on. Added finely shredded wombok and capsicum, and lime juice to serve.
Pretty bloody good.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Besan is so versatile, I love it.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I tried baking for the first time recently and made some ginger cookies. I was quite happy with how they turned out and the only issue I had was that I didn't bake them long enough, so they collapsed a little once out of the oven.

My partner was happy to discover I'd also made them vegan, so she decided to combine them with some vegan ice cream she'd made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hell yeah vegan ice cream sandos