Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Should've killed off Gojo instead. Unless that happens later, in which case, cool. I hate him

just imagining one of the bystanders in the subway station underground volunteering to join the curses

"Please volcano man, let me aid you in your crusade against eyes man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've perpetually felt like nobara is criminally underused and has only gotten a couple of actually cool fight sequences so i'm not super broken up over her death, so much as the entire character feels like she represents a weird gaping flaw in the writing of jjk. honestly would be interested to see what the comparative screentime between nanami and nobara was because i also felt like nanami was a more developed character than her and his death seems like a bigger deal to me personally.

s2 has still been way better than s1 though, which was bog standard shounen with some "clever twists" that didn't really amount to any meaningful going off the beaten path from typical shounen (i also found the comedy consistently eyerolling more than anything, glad there's generally been less of that). i really thought very little of s1's writing (i generally considered it "inoffensive enough to serve as connective tissue between fight sequences"), so the cool fights were holding up s1 hard and s2 has at least occasionally had interesting and sometimes compelling writing, on top of better fights. honestly in that regard as much as people have been down on the recent fight sequences i'd still consider just about all of them in the top 10% of shounen fights, show's been delivering for me.

this whole arc seems to basically be an extended red wedding for the story, which if nothing else has made for a bunch of fun/impactful moments. i'm interested to see how the status quo gets shaken up but gojo is the only character in the show i still have any amount of emotional investment in, and it doesn't look like he's actually going to escape, so :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dante posted:

She was a cool character, and its also very good that cool characters die in a popular series. It is refreshing that you literally don't know the longevity of a character based on screentime/centrality/cool factor. About my only concern is that there aren't all that many interesting characters left, but hopefully new ones come along.

The problem was she was the female main character.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

i've perpetually felt like nobara is criminally underused and has only gotten a couple of actually cool fight sequences so i'm not super broken up over her death, so much as the entire character feels like she represents a weird gaping flaw in the writing of jjk. honestly would be interested to see what the comparative screentime between nanami and nobara was because i also felt like nanami was a more developed character than her and his death seems like a bigger deal to me personally.

s2 has still been way better than s1 though, which was bog standard shounen with some "clever twists" that didn't really amount to any meaningful going off the beaten path from typical shounen (i also found the comedy consistently eyerolling more than anything, glad there's generally been less of that). i really thought very little of s1's writing (i generally considered it "inoffensive enough to serve as connective tissue between fight sequences"), so the cool fights were holding up s1 hard and s2 has at least occasionally had interesting and sometimes compelling writing, on top of better fights. honestly in that regard as much as people have been down on the recent fight sequences i'd still consider just about all of them in the top 10% of shounen fights, show's been delivering for me.

this whole arc seems to basically be an extended red wedding for the story, which if nothing else has made for a bunch of fun/impactful moments. i'm interested to see how the status quo gets shaken up but gojo is the only character in the show i still have any amount of emotional investment in, and it doesn't look like he's actually going to escape, so :shrug:

This is kind of where I stand. The only event that makes me even consider Nobara a "main character" was the tagteam with Yuji at the end of S1. Everything else comes from the Op/Ed of S1 and how much she was used in the advertising. The reality is she was probably #3 or #4 for spoken lines and screen time by female characters this season.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Mahito's voice actor is killing it. He's embraced the cringe.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Best boy is here.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Huh, what did Todo use to switch places w Yuji in the beginning? He clapped his own hands but doesn't that still necessitate a switch between two objects?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Taima posted:

Huh, what did Todo use to switch places w Yuji in the beginning? He clapped his own hands but doesn't that still necessitate a switch between two objects?

probably a transfigured human of some kind like one of the bullets.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hmm that's fair. I'm finding it kind of hard to stay in the game on these episodes, the animation quality is... like I'm not mad I'm just disappointed, haha

there's a shot at 19:50 that is hilariously bad, like something straight out of Cruelty Squad.

I really wish they had just forfeited the tv spots and went back to finish the eps :(

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Taima posted:

Hmm that's fair. I'm finding it kind of hard to stay in the game on these episodes, the animation quality is... like I'm not mad I'm just disappointed, haha

there's a shot at 19:50 that is hilariously bad, like something straight out of Cruelty Squad.

I really wish they had just forfeited the tv spots and went back to finish the eps :(

I don’t mean to be rude, but if you think the animation quality in this episode was bad at all, I think you need your eyes checked.

It was pretty fantastic throughout the entire thing.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Taima posted:

wtf…

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hooting and Hollering at the Todo All Mighty black Flash

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gently caress yeah Todo

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm confused about why Mahito says black flashes don't hurt his soul at the end. I thought that was the whole point of them?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sindai posted:

I'm confused about why Mahito says black flashes don't hurt his soul at the end. I thought that was the whole point of them?

Black Flash just amplifies your power and puts you in the zone, its not the nature of black flash that would allow them to target mahito's soul but how they use it. Mahito in the manga says: "It doesn't matter how strong your attack is. Using black flash has no effect if you can't hit my soul." The wording is slightly different implies more invulnerability in the subsplease translation of the anime than what the essence of the statement is.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm interested to see how the status quo gets shaken up but gojo is the only character in the show i still have any amount of emotional investment in, and it doesn't look like he's actually going to escape, so :shrug:

ok i'll be honest i had forgotten about todo

i love jjk this episode was fantastic

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Manga spoilers: quite a lot has happened since the arc the anime is currently on, and to date Nobara's "death" STILL hasn't been formally confirmed. It's been danced around so many times that it's safe to assume that we didn't get the whole story and she is coming back at some point. Which is more than you can say for a few other characters that are definitely 100% dead (such as Nanami).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's a bigass case of "I don't like it, and instead of just dealing with that it has to be An Issue"

No it's really loving not.

There is a really loving significant difference between a girl consistently billed as a main character and shown in almost every single arc of the story against a person who appears for just one and the guy literally screaming that he is two days from retirement.

Further, even if we just say that the plot demanded her death because she was in over her head, it's telling that the canon weakest character of the main trio is the girl. It's also pretty consistently telling that almost every single super powerful character is male coded.

Additionally, it's also telling that of the characters billed as main players, she's the one who gets the least screentime.

It's a consistent pattern across all forms of media, but it's particularly bad in Shonen and especially so in ones that want to ape Game of Thrones shock factor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amante posted:

Manga spoilers: quite a lot has happened since the arc the anime is currently on, and to date Nobara's "death" STILL hasn't been formally confirmed. It's been danced around so many times that it's safe to assume that we didn't get the whole story and she is coming back at some point. Which is more than you can say for a few other characters that are definitely 100% dead (such as Nanami).

:negative:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Amante posted:

Manga spoilers:

Why? Why are you doing this?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

use the manga thread??

good episode, was fun. Ending on the "all three are 120%" part was so good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
e:

Anyways, I just got the the "death" of Nobara and, quite frankly, this series has all the tools needed to bring her back even if she's 100% dead. Like, we just got Megumi's dad at full power running around in somebody's else body and he was a certified stiff.

So, if they ever need someone with a hammer as the rest have their DBZ fight that levels a city block they can have her back.

But, if she's gone for good then she reached levels of jobbing that Yamcha would be in awe of. She arrives to the big big fight and doesn't even realize what the gently caress. What a way to go.

And then, in the very next episode, Todo arrives to the fight and then the show goes "holy poo poo! Todo is here! things got real! holy poo poo brotha is here!!!" lol.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 8, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Much love to my boy Todo having a magical girl transformation sequence, go get em king.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

yum posted:

wtf…

cmon, I rewatched it and the animation is, granted, pretty good in the last third but cmon son:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Feel like they forgot a cel shading filter there

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Taima posted:

cmon, I rewatched it and the animation is, granted, pretty good in the last third but cmon son:

that looks like truth and beauty to me

and the background is cool too

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Taima posted:

for being the inside of a contorted flesh train it doesn't seem too bad. "like something out of cruelty squad" feels a bit appropriate.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Taima posted:

This is fine?

Again , not sure what the issue is

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It looks like a more hosed up Mugen Train, which is what I imagined the inside of a flesh train made out of a cursed body would look.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The flesh subway is cool and I think anime original cause I certainly would have remembered it from the manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can see where the Cruelty Squad comparison came from because the glistening effect looks like one of the game's UI borders.

I agree that one background isn't good (except for the skeleton ARMrests, which are great), but it's only in one short shot so nbd

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

All this talk about Todo All Might but no love for my boy Mohito hittin the Shiggy face at the end

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This episode really did feel very MHA in terms of animation, I imagine there's some shared names there.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheres the crow lady

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wheres the crow lady

She's smart. She probably got the hell outta there if she couldn't beat big brain boi.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wheres the crow lady

Waiting for some extra cash to motivate her

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wheres the crow lady

mods know

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Episode kicks rear end

Todo ftw

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Getting some strong Chimera Ant vibes today.

Also betting that Mahito's looking like a particularly tasty rag of vomit and poo poo at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

That sequence with him imagining tag teaming with Takada leading to the one handed slap -> itadori black flash was inspired

They really nailed the Mahito / Yuji prey predator panel sequence from the manga

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 14, 2023