Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Doltos posted:

Has anyone else had an idea for a horror movie about a horror movie gone wrong and to call it Director's Cut

That is unfortunately already a movie. A bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2wG3ihL0SQ

dorium fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Penn as Mr Plinkett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZFY6hzS7I

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Oh god. This trailer is so bad it makes me angry. This rear end in a top hat also directed The Dark Backward, which is one of the most painful movies I've ever forced myself to sit through.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Has anyone else had an idea for a horror movie about a horror movie gone wrong and to call it Director's Cut

Urban Legends Director’s Cut

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I was a big Penn fan for a long time and man, I wanted to like this movie after hearing about it for years but hoooooo boy it was awful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doltos posted:

There’s a cute Covid movie called Untitled Horror Movie that is a bunch of actors and crew workshopping a horror movie over zoom and stupidly summoning a demon. I found it fun although the whole zoom/pandemic timing of it might have aged it since then.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Safe, the movie where Julianne Moore becomes convinced that she's hyper allergic to all chemicals and radio waves or whatever, is incredible and a great movie for "this is horrifying but uses basically no horror aesthetic or tropes."

It's also unique because it's horrifying to put yourself in the shoes of everyone else, Moore is the protagonist and she's unaware of how insane she is.

Ohhh like that episode of How to with John Wilson

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Godzilla Minus One is the best horror movie of the year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
YTOTD makes its glorious return right here, right now:

ALIEN 2: ON EARTH (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLF1siPVes

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

YTOTD makes its glorious return right here, right now:

ALIEN 2: ON EARTH (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLF1siPVes

Thank you for your deep dive commitment to freebie youtube obscura. Its a highlight of this thread

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Apparently a lot of these originate from archive.org, which I highly recommend:

https://archive.org/details/video_archive_553-cd-207

My beloved THE MUMMY'S DUNGEON (1993) is on there:

https://archive.org/details/the-mummys-dungeon-1993

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Crescent Wrench posted:

Coaaab what the gently caress are you talking about?
A24 horror movies have a rep (perhaps an unfair stereotype) of being disquieting with an arthouse sheen. It's definitely part of the crowd A24 wants to cater/market to. Maybe I was being a bit too insulting because a lot of those films on their slate are quite quite good, it's just that

Chris James 2 posted:

Safe is an all-timer. By every metric I have to give

Basebf555 posted:

In the internet age you have to name your movie something more clearly identifiable than "Safe", so that people can easily find it when they search. Like, it would be a bad idea to name your movie "Horror" because it would effectively be invisible to internet searches.
a lot of people (from what I've seen online) stylize the title as [Safe]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m fine with dumb arty people only watching a24 horror if it gets them to watch horror

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

STAC Goat posted:

There’s a cute Covid movie called Untitled Horror Movie that is a bunch of actors and crew workshopping a horror movie over zoom and stupidly summoning a demon. I found it fun although the whole zoom/pandemic timing of it might have aged it since then.

In a similar vein the Host movie was a solid endeavor during covid. Zoom calls work well for a horror medium because everyone's been in a zoom call before and it's a fixed camera angle. It's really easy to sneak in spooky stuff in the peripherals of a fixed camera.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just watched When Evil Lurks. Goddam that was savage and disturbing.

Movies aboutpossession where the demon just makes the person disgusting and quietly sadistic are always the ones that get to me. When the demon becomes the joker, laughing and taunting everyone, eh no big deal. But when they are just disgusting and do things like bite themselves? That's S tier creepiness to me

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Can't believe it took me this long to see Perfect Blue but wow what an incredibly horrific thriller

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did anyone watch that new Fincher on Netflix? Looked pretty good but I have seen absolutely nobody mention it anywhere

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Did anyone watch that new Fincher on Netflix? Looked pretty good but I have seen absolutely nobody mention it anywhere

I enjoyed it. The movie is basically a black comedy but predictably they didn't market it that way.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Count Thrashula posted:

Can't believe it took me this long to see Perfect Blue but wow what an incredibly horrific thriller

Yeah it rules

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Opopanax posted:

it got its own thread!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Seeing Godzilla -1 in 2 hours :hellyeah:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Chris James 2 posted:

Have a good time! I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Count Thrashula posted:

Its so fuckin good

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

One of my all-time favorite movies. Every scene is a thing of beauty. So many frames that you can extract and pick apart. And if you can believe it, Satoshi Kon only got better from there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yea Paranoia Agent goes hard

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Just make sure you don't see Godzilla in 1 hour.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Minus 1 is a weird name. Is it named that in Japanes? Maybe it sounds better in Japanese.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Minus one rules knowing what it means. It kicks rear end and is fitting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Minus 1 is a weird name. Is it named that in Japanes? Maybe it sounds better in Japanese.

It’s because after the war Japanese lost everything, they were at zero. Then Godzilla shows up and brings them even lower.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

The Japanese title is Gojira Mainasu Wan, written out phonetically.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the japanese title is godzilla -1.0, with the -1.0 being pronounced as minus one in english.

really though somebody probably just thought rebuild of evangelion being called evangelion 1.0 was cool

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I put on “The Mean One” this evening to get the festive season started…..after this and that Winnie the Pooh horror movie I think we need to stop IP’s from becoming public domain….people cannot be trusted with them

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gaz2k21 posted:

I put on “The Mean One” this evening to get the festive season started…..after this and that Winnie the Pooh horror movie I think we need to stop IP’s from becoming public domain….people cannot be trusted with them

yeah what could go wrong with studios holding onto ips to churn out sequels indefinitely

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

alf_pogs posted:

yeah what could go wrong with studios holding onto ips to churn out sequels indefinitely

They certainly wouldn't get any funny ideas about making any dumb horror movies, ahaha.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone outta find out what’s about to expire in a few years and really workshop a script to make it super perfect instead of a lovely cash grab

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Or, find out when I can make my lovely cash grab Avengers horror movie once those enter public domain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The asylum made that with literary or mythological characters

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

We have to work together to make The Great Gatling Gunsby a reality.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The asylum made that with literary or mythological characters

Did Alan Moore care enough to sue them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought it was called Minus One because it is chronologically before the first Godzilla. Even if they aren't in continuity with each other.