Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
The shovel's good too. It doesn't kill as fast as a power sword but it has a lot of stagger so it can control hordes pretty well by spamming heavy attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

I actually really like the shovel for Vet, it suffers on direct killing power but it's horde clear is excellent, it has a reasonable amount of stagger and it's poke can stop a mutant charge on a headshot. Also it's heavy clonk is satisfying.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Back Hack posted:

I don't recall anyone linking this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mBMv2K2arc

E: She's so infected with a genestealer

she was the real traitor all along

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Back Hack posted:

I don't recall anyone linking this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mBMv2K2arc

E: She's so infected with a genestealer

From Fatshark's notes about Traitor Curse Part II:

quote:

Ne - - - REDACTED: Expl - - - ola - - - disp - - - at - - - orr - - -

Whatever Explicator Zola gets into, I hope it leads to the second hive city.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

DogsInSpace! posted:

4 and last) I've been mainly using chainsword and power sword. Power Sword has started winning as I've gone to higher difficulties simply because it cleaves through the mobs. Other classes I know how to handle crushers and maulers and, with vet, I use plasma or unload with recon so those guys aren't an issue but mobs of little infected are what have been my bane. Power sword handles that just fine. Chainsword is alright with it's quick strikes. I'm assuming a knife is going to be a faster version of the sword where there's no cleave but I can just spam light attacks and gets a natural plus to mobility. That true? Should I still strive for a knife with all stats in the 70-80 range or will the penetration always be 30-50? I will say I do like the face stabbing heavy attack. Again, all this is for a vet and just need a weapon to deal with mobs mainly without wasting ammo/when they are up in my grill.

Give the Devil's claw MkIV a shot. I used to use the powersword and there's no denying its performance, but personally I don't like having to deal with the "turn on my sword" part of it. MkIV "feels" a lot like powersword in terms of swing patterns and niche, ideal for just cleaving hordes of chaff and infected, and some good mobility. I really like it with plasma and weaponspec talents which gives you even more dodge distance with it. It's not great vs carapace but thats what plasma is for.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'd play with a Plasma Gun but that involves managing heat and my Helbore looks rad and will delete whatever I want at this level in a few shots while I also stab individual rotters like a six year old eating peas with my bayonet

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
People saying the knife doesn't feel good but i dont understand why? I feel like it fills its niche well and use it with a shotgun on my vet. Just keep dodging and itll kill or hold a horde very easily

Power sword may still be a better meta though

Shoehead posted:

I'd play with a Plasma Gun but that involves managing heat

Managing heat on the plasma just means hitting things with a sword till its ready again id say.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZeusCannon posted:

People saying the knife doesn't feel good but i dont understand why? I feel like it fills its niche well and use it with a shotgun on my vet. Just keep dodging and itll kill or hold a horde very easily

Power sword may still be a better meta though

Managing heat on the plasma just means hitting things with a sword till its ready again id say.

I've been enjoying knife a lot more than originally (og knife hater rep) but it absolutely does not manage hordes well. A good horde management tool lets you hold your ground and efficiently kill it with minimal movement. You have to dodge and give ground with knife, and if the horde is large enough you are not gonna be killing it quickly no matter how many crits you get, knife just does not cleave enough dudes with each swing.

This is assuming Damnation mind you.

Shoehead posted:

I'd play with a Plasma Gun but that involves managing heat and my Helbore looks rad and will delete whatever I want at this level in a few shots while I also stab individual rotters like a six year old eating peas with my bayonet

plasma heat management is "occasionally I press the vent button at high heat" and "just use normal shots and you never explode". Helbore is def fun but once you hit Damnation you really start to feel the slow weapon swap speed. Totally viable as a weapon though, so it's more a personal preference thing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That weapon swap is sooo long, put then I just poke everyone :v:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Shoehead posted:

That weapon swap is sooo long, put then I just poke everyone :v:

With the recent-ish buffs to the bayonets, I'm in complete agreement with you, love the hellbore. Very funny when two ragers show up and you just steadily poke them both a few times while they get staggered and die.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I think I realized why I'm struggling to click as a Veteran currently.....I went Psyker first for the prelog. Immediately switched to Ogryn and 3rd Zealot. Something about Zealot just CLICKED with me. That + they remind of the Mordheim Witchhunter vibe going on and I dig that. But back to Veteran. I am rank 22 in Zealot. Everyone else is still at like level 3 or 4 but I have now taken the vet to 10.

Because I've put more time into Zealot the melee style feels more visceral and more.....you can tell your putting in work on like hordes and poo poo? If that makes any sense.
Sometimes I feel like it takes 2 to 3 headshot on some mobs that I would have hacked in 1 head shot w/ my Zealot.
So because I spend more time shooting down the scope, I guess it doesn't "feel" like I'm doing as much?
Does that make any sense?
I don't know but I realized that's why I was struggling some as a Vet. It doesn't feel like I'm doing as much although I'm shooting down hordes, head shotting any gunners or scabs and I'm being useful but it being ranged feels less impactful than melee?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I think I realized why I'm struggling to click as a Veteran currently.....I went Psyker first for the prelog. Immediately switched to Ogryn and 3rd Zealot. Something about Zealot just CLICKED with me. That + they remind of the Mordheim Witchhunter vibe going on and I dig that. But back to Veteran. I am rank 22 in Zealot. Everyone else is still at like level 3 or 4 but I have now taken the vet to 10.

Because I've put more time into Zealot the melee style feels more visceral and more.....you can tell your putting in work on like hordes and poo poo? If that makes any sense.
Sometimes I feel like it takes 2 to 3 headshot on some mobs that I would have hacked in 1 head shot w/ my Zealot.
So because I spend more time shooting down the scope, I guess it doesn't "feel" like I'm doing as much?
Does that make any sense?
I don't know but I realized that's why I was struggling some as a Vet. It doesn't feel like I'm doing as much although I'm shooting down hordes, head shotting any gunners or scabs and I'm being useful but it being ranged feels less impactful than melee?

Being realistic (at least in my opinion) is that once you level up more and do difficulty 4/5 missions (yes I know this sounds like a cop-out statement) ranged becomes much more convenient to use and more important. Your weapons ammo stat goes up so you get more reserve ammo and bigger magazines, and you get support talents for extra reloading and other goodies which I think make a big difference on many guns. More importantly, the ability to safely engage with 30 scattered scavs with guns or take out the increased numbers of specials as difficulties go up becomes more and more important. Melee will generally always be better for hordes (outside some niche guns like flamethrower / purgatus staff), but a good shooting character is a great boon to their team.

This at least from my personal experience, didn't like shooting characters until I got to higher levels. You're playing more of a supporting role, but an absolutely vital one.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Captainicus posted:

Being realistic (at least in my opinion) is that once you level up more and do difficulty 4/5 missions (yes I know this sounds like a cop-out statement) ranged becomes much more convenient to use and more important. Your weapons ammo stat goes up so you get more reserve ammo and bigger magazines, and you get support talents for extra reloading and other goodies which I think make a big difference on many guns. More importantly, the ability to safely engage with 30 scattered scavs with guns or take out the increased numbers of specials as difficulties go up becomes more and more important. Melee will generally always be better for hordes (outside some niche guns like flamethrower / purgatus staff), but a good shooting character is a great boon to their team.

This at least from my personal experience, didn't like shooting characters until I got to higher levels. You're playing more of a supporting role, but an absolutely vital one.

Oh absolutely! I'm sure you are 100% right. I've managed 1 of 2 malestrom attempts on my Zealot and I am definitely shooting more. I realize I definitely learned some bad habits, watching other players if I go down on harder content, that like....I never use to block. Never.
I dodged plenty, side straffing both while shooting and meleeing as needed, and slide while running but blocking?
Nope. Never even crossed my mind. Why block when I can swing?? And realizing okay, there are times I can go like that but a lot of classes and situations.....that will get you killed. Quick.

So that's what brought me back to Vet. I love buffing others and I definitely see the intense value they would bring. So was trying to put into words WHY i was struggling w/ them and bounced off them so hard at first. Maybe it will help someone else.

It is fun as hell going into a Ranged stance when a big mob of baddies pop in and it's just like Nah. Don't worry about all those gunners/ragers/hounds. They're all dead. Like.....that feels good.

edit: Also, you can do the weekly on more than one character a week!?!??! That's crazy

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

I've been enjoying knife a lot more than originally (og knife hater rep) but it absolutely does not manage hordes well. A good horde management tool lets you hold your ground and efficiently kill it with minimal movement. You have to dodge and give ground with knife, and if the horde is large enough you are not gonna be killing it quickly no matter how many crits you get, knife just does not cleave enough dudes with each swing.

This is assuming Damnation mind you.

plasma heat management is "occasionally I press the vent button at high heat" and "just use normal shots and you never explode". Helbore is def fun but once you hit Damnation you really start to feel the slow weapon swap speed. Totally viable as a weapon though, so it's more a personal preference thing.

The bit about the knife is true but ill be honest im pretty much always dodging in damnation anyways so doing a bit of backstep run around is just part of the game to me.

Edit: im also terrible so that may be part

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Oh absolutely! I'm sure you are 100% right. I've managed 1 of 2 malestrom attempts on my Zealot and I am definitely shooting more. I realize I definitely learned some bad habits, watching other players if I go down on harder content, that like....I never use to block. Never.
I dodged plenty, side straffing both while shooting and meleeing as needed, and slide while running but blocking?
Nope. Never even crossed my mind. Why block when I can swing?? And realizing okay, there are times I can go like that but a lot of classes and situations.....that will get you killed. Quick.

So that's what brought me back to Vet. I love buffing others and I definitely see the intense value they would bring. So was trying to put into words WHY i was struggling w/ them and bounced off them so hard at first. Maybe it will help someone else.

It is fun as hell going into a Ranged stance when a big mob of baddies pop in and it's just like Nah. Don't worry about all those gunners/ragers/hounds. They're all dead. Like.....that feels good.

edit: Also, you can do the weekly on more than one character a week!?!??! That's crazy

It's important to note that blocking generally is actually not a good thing to do, but you should block briefly so you can push. Whether you use it to transition into a push attack, stagger enemies that were mid swing or equalize enemy attack timings by staggering them all it's worth doing.

Generally the only time to hard block is when you're tanking a monster, reviving someone (thanks autoblock!) or are playing shield ogryn and are trying to taunt a bunch of shooters with the talent.

There are a lot of bad habits players learn when leveling and learning the game that Heresy and Damnation will quickly teach you about by knocking you on your rear end. Don't be afraid to ask for feedback!

ZeusCannon posted:

The bit about the knife is true but ill be honest im pretty much always dodging in damnation anyways so doing a bit of backstep run around is just part of the game to me.

Edit: im also terrible so that may be part

Dodging is cool and good and it's def one of the strongest strengths of knife, but any melee weapon can also dodge... but may not need to as much if you can just kill horde dead in a fraction of the swings. It's a fun playstyle but it's definitely not the be all end all best one lol.

And hey, you'll get there. It honestly took me a bit to get the hang of the melee.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I find that for me, what works best with melee and dodging is just weaving dodges into my melee rhythm. Obviously that changes when you encounter something you have to actually dodge, like a mauler, trapper, etc., but always be dodging seems to do better for me than trying to think about specifically when to do it all of the time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do the little friends not have enough strength to shove pox bursters far enough away from the group to cause no damage? Is it Ogryn who is specifically endowed to do this?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

All can. You def want to dodge back tho after.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Are there any predictions for when the next patch will be appearing?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

TescoBag posted:

Are there any predictions for when the next patch will be appearing?

As early as two days from now, possibly a week or so beyond that

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Potato Salad posted:

Do the little friends not have enough strength to shove pox bursters far enough away from the group to cause no damage? Is it Ogryn who is specifically endowed to do this?

Sometimes people will accidentally use all their stamina sprinting up to it so their push doesn't actually do anything and they get bopped

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm noticing my success rate in quick match Auric 5s is substantially higher with my Psyker than anything else. Feels like the combination of Bubble to anchor the team and Purgatus for unparalleled horde control pays off more than expected; even if I'm popping specials nonstop as Plasma Vet things just flip around the moment a Chaos Spawn shows up and everyone scatters. Ogryn or Zealot can take a lot of punishment but it's still hard to break out of a bad spot sometimes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bubble is a huge asset. When I see a psyker slotted it, its a relief

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
On the knife of both my Zealot and my Veteran I have the +25% damage to unarmored perk. It does a great job clearing the horde as long as you can kill a poxwalker in a single strike. You still doodge constantly, but your can cut your way around a horde to maneuver into a better position, or literally kill them fast enough you proceed straight through (well, on my level 30 Zealot).

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

isndl posted:

I'm noticing my success rate in quick match Auric 5s is substantially higher with my Psyker than anything else. Feels like the combination of Bubble to anchor the team and Purgatus for unparalleled horde control pays off more than expected; even if I'm popping specials nonstop as Plasma Vet things just flip around the moment a Chaos Spawn shows up and everyone scatters. Ogryn or Zealot can take a lot of punishment but it's still hard to break out of a bad spot sometimes.

A good bubble psyker or shout vet is night and day in terms of taking the difficulty down a notch. With how angry the director is lately you can basically have perma-uptime of the Vet toughness buff partywide as long as you keep popping specials. Luv it on my ogryn, luv doin it as vet

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
All the abilities that put everyone in timeout for a bit rule

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkDe1mSDjtA

Two new shovels!

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 2, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

A good bubble psyker or shout vet is night and day in terms of taking the difficulty down a notch. With how angry the director is lately you can basically have perma-uptime of the Vet toughness buff partywide as long as you keep popping specials. Luv it on my ogryn, luv doin it as vet

This, pretty much. Back before they returned damnation director a bit, I had a match where the only reason we made any headway was from the psyker's shield. A++ class improvement

Estel
May 4, 2010

I love Darktide's subtitles on Youtube.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Estel posted:

I love Darktide's subtitles on Youtube.

lmao, I love it

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
While I would much rather have completely-new weapons instead of new marks, those alternate attacks for the revolver and folding shovel are really cool

Also my money's on there being another mission that we have to "unlock," to round out the Carnival are with 3 maps total.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder if chain shovels for mechanized digging exist in 40k, it seems like the kind of thing the imperium would come up with

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
On damnation, if there's a full horde and a monstrosity all active, should I be slapping the boss or managing the horde on ogryn? I know which is funnier, but I've been getting the feeling I'm not being that useful locking the boss down.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Legit Businessman posted:

Let's continue this game of telephone.

Most blessings in this game have 4 Tiers. A handful of blessings have 2 tiers, and another handful have 1 tier. Just to be extra confusing, the 2 tier only blessings are counted as T3 and T4 (Blazing Spirit, Infernus, Power Cycler). Single tier blessings can be T2, T3, or T4, depending on how powerful they are.

I really appreciated all the advice but definite shout out to this detailed response. Thank you Legit. I kinda love goons.
Definitely going to try more Devil’s Claw. Also having a back up ranged weapon for those games when someone’s else has plas. I have no issues doing more soft elite targets while someone else cracks the shells.

Curious tho- does getting 20 carapace perk on a las fam gun even semi ok? So far it feels like a waste. Thinking maniac, krak or unarmoured is more useful but it came with the guns when I played roulette.

Evil Kit posted:

And hey, you'll get there. It honestly took me a bit to get the hang of the melee.

Best game advice. I’ve already gotten so much better since I downloaded this on game pass. Just had a game where my shouty plas vet saved from group wipe multiple times following this thread’s advice and my own school of hard knocks.

And backing you guys up with bubble psyker. I play a shout psyker but man… bubble is so much better for the group. Love the Psyker class overall but the bubble isn’t really overpowered, just almost necessary with the current game director tossing out specials. Love my shout tho as it’s the main way I handle surprise multiple rangers and maulers in my face.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

On damnation, if there's a full horde and a monstrosity all active, should I be slapping the boss or managing the horde on ogryn? I know which is funnier, but I've been getting the feeling I'm not being that useful locking the boss down.

You gotta guess what your team is better at and take care of the other part I feel

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Hopefully slapping the boss. Every member of the team should have some capability of horde clear, but when poo poo happens sometimes you gotta do what's available to stop the team from getting overrun.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

MuffinsAndPie posted:

You gotta guess what your team is better at and take care of the other part I feel

I'm of the general opinion that it's the horde and especially the continually spawning specials, gunners, etc. who will kill groups while the boss diverts attention, not the boss itself. Bosses inherently only focus on one target at a time, so whoever is that target focuses on playing defensively and others manage the situation (including burning down the boss) as circumstances dictate. It's hierarchy of threats and the boss is towards the bottom. This is not easy to do in pugs since things can be fluid and change quickly.

Ogryn slaps to the head locking a boss down are hilarious, and can be useful if the boss isn't accompanied by other threats. But I think it's better overall to be active against higher priorities and slap the boss when the opportunity presents itself.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fishstick posted:

Totally agreed. I basically have a build for "how can I do <support> as often as possible" for Psyker bubble, Vet shout, and Zealot chorus and they all seem to punch way above their weight.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I think it's like anything else in the game, try to focus on what your build is good at while letting others focus on what they are good at. But pay attention and if you need to catch a falling plate, do so. Most people can do a good job of kiting a boss at higher levels, and I agree with Diogenes of Sinope. It's usually what comes with the boss that's the problem. If you've got just a boss, you're probably going to have no problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are any of the keystone abilities on Vet really worth it. The right tree ones seem handy but the center and right don't feel like tangible game changers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Arc Hammer posted:

Are any of the keystone abilities on Vet really worth it. The right tree ones seem handy but the center and right don't feel like tangible game changers.

The middle one, the tagging one, basically gives your team unlimited uptime free damage. The left one is easier to keep up than you'd think from reading it as long as you're hitting weakspots. The next update will maybe fix the vet tree so that you can comfortably hit a keystone and have some room left to maneuver.

I hope to god they combined some of the modifier nodes on the ult and keystones.