Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Small White Dragon posted:

Do you use Rider?

Apparently Microsoft is discontinuing Visual Studio for Mac, and I could never just never get into VSCode.

Yes, Rider absolutely rules and C# is the best programming language to do pretty much anything with and don't let anyone tell you different because they are wrong.

I admit the last time I tried VS on Mac was several years ago but it was a joke. VS is a joke as a whole to be honest but they have to support so much poo poo it'd be a nightmare to work on so I feel bad for those guys. The move to 64 bit must've been hell.

M3 coming in the mail hell yeah ship that poo poo Tim Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mst4k posted:

Yes, Rider absolutely rules and C# is the best programming language to do pretty much anything with and don't let anyone tell you different because they are wrong.

I admit the last time I tried VS on Mac was several years ago but it was a joke. VS is a joke as a whole to be honest but they have to support so much poo poo it'd be a nightmare to work on so I feel bad for those guys. The move to 64 bit must've been hell.

M3 coming in the mail hell yeah ship that poo poo Tim Apple

I think the new release of Rider is coming soon, looks like they've hit release candidate. .net8 support is not great atm.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mst4k posted:

C# is really good. I use Visual Studio Professional (on Windows) for work and it is also very good, but I suspect the Mac version is... not as good.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I have a MacBook Pro 2007 running Ventura. for the last couple of years when it should be sleeping/lid is closed, I notices it connects to the Internet for a short while and disconnects again. I usually see this if I am on my PC in the same IRC channel I have connected on my MacBook that it joins/parts. I have googled this behavior before and have checked the battery settings "Wake for network access" and set it to Never, but just now I decided to check logs and such for the first time and found this:

https://paste.quest/?e9e0a142ec021c69#AUdmXwfCnHsQaHA5XZDgm6sr3t9uvqELqxvMs5Rovgbr

Why is it doing this and can I make it just sleep till I wake it myself?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Quackles posted:

C# is really good. I use Visual Studio Professional (on Windows) for work and it is also very good, but I suspect the Mac version is... not as good.

There isn’t really a MacOS version anymore since it is being or has been retired. The version that did exist wasn’t the same thing, anyway. It was a different app that a third party created and then MS bought them. It was focused more on making iOS apps and not much else. Very limited what you could actually create with it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What's the general thought on the Thunderbird email client?

My mom recently passed away, and she did all of the account management/banking/appointments/etc. for her and my dad. My dad is 81, computer illiterate, and has no interest in learning how to really use one, so I've taken over the responsibility of managing their accounts, banking, etc.

I'm already using the Mail app for my account, and was thinking of using Thunderbird (or another client) with theirs so I can more consistently monitor it instead of using OWA for their Hotmail Outlook account.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Canned Sunshine posted:

What's the general thought on the Thunderbird email client?

My mom recently passed away, and she did all of the account management/banking/appointments/etc. for her and my dad. My dad is 81, computer illiterate, and has no interest in learning how to really use one, so I've taken over the responsibility of managing their accounts, banking, etc.

I'm already using the Mail app for my account, and was thinking of using Thunderbird (or another client) with theirs so I can more consistently monitor it instead of using OWA for their Hotmail Outlook account.

Can’t speak to Thunderbird, but would it be easier to add their account to your Mail app and flag or color it differently (or move all to a dedicated folder upon arrival) so you can tell at a glance what mail is theirs and what mail is yours?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thunderbird is pretty decent these days, I use it on Windows. It’s come a long way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m very in the camp of ‘there’s no point complaining about how Apple does something, because they won’t change’, but please let me old man yells at iCloud for a moment.

Kinda mad that I’ve finally gone fully legit and wiped my Apple Match library that I’d maxed out to go fully in with Apple Music to find the client on macOS is locked to the OS version and the Monterey one is lacking a bunch of basic stuff out like AM Playlist Folders, so all my structure breaks. It’s an ongoing paid service so separate it out, hell the drat lovely Windows iTunes client works with some of this stuff from what I’ve seen, why can’t something from 2 OS revisions do too.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Subjunctive posted:

Thunderbird is pretty decent these days, I use it on Windows. It’s come a long way.

Yeah, I’ve been using it in Linux for months. Just plunks along, stable feature set, doesn’t pee in my Cheerios or pull weird misbehavior. I keep putting off installing it to my M2 Air but I predict similar behavior there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If you want something that feels like a MacOS app though, check out mailspring. It was my go to before I bought a Mac and it’s really nice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hi it’s me, the Outlook user.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Silly Burrito posted:

Can’t speak to Thunderbird, but would it be easier to add their account to your Mail app and flag or color it differently (or move all to a dedicated folder upon arrival) so you can tell at a glance what mail is theirs and what mail is yours?

Yeah, I thought about trying this, but I've been thinking it might be easier to just have it set up in a discrete app given my current stress/lack of sleep/etc.

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah, I’ve been using it in Linux for months. Just plunks along, stable feature set, doesn’t pee in my Cheerios or pull weird misbehavior. I keep putting off installing it to my M2 Air but I predict similar behavior there.

Thanks for the feedback on it!

The Lord Bude posted:

If you want something that feels like a MacOS app though, check out mailspring. It was my go to before I bought a Mac and it’s really nice.

I'll take a look into it, thanks! Always curious to try new mail clients.

Warbird posted:

Hi it’s me, the Outlook user.

I use Outlook on Windows for work, and given the ways it seems neutered for macOS, I just can't find myself to use it for it, mostly out of frustration.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you can get someone else to pay $30/mo for it, Superhuman is a great mail client for macOS and iOS. I used it when I was dealing with tons of email, and it was a lifesaver.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hate to say it but Outlook on Mac is a lot nicer than on Windows. Like actually reasonably pleasant to use

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Data Graham posted:

I hate to say it but Outlook on Mac is a lot nicer than on Windows. Like actually reasonably pleasant to use

Isn't it still Airmail captured and renamed?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If you can get someone else to pay $30/mo for it, Superhuman is a great mail client for macOS and iOS. I used it when I was dealing with tons of email, and it was a lifesaver.

Paying 30/mo for email is insane.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Skeezy posted:

Paying 30/mo for email is insane.

Surely it's an email host, right?

quote:

AI-powered email built for high-performing teams.
Get 4 hours back every week.

oh

quote:

Supercharge your workflow with AI
Just jot down some phrases, and Superhuman AI will turn them into a fully written email. Best of all, it matches your voice and tone so the emails drafted sound like you.

ugh

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds great if your job is making high school essay format summaries of wikipedia articles.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Perplx posted:

Sounds great if your job is making high school essay format summaries of wikipedia articles.

I think you underestimate how many people’s job is to read and write emails

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grassy Knowles posted:

Surely it's an email host, right?

oh

ugh

I used it before they added any of the AI stuff, I dunno what that’s about. It’s ridiculously fast though and had some great macro-like capabilities, great UI for getting around in quickly, and some nice folder-splitting options.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I went through YCombinator and the CEO of Superhuman spoke in a session. He said basically their whole user base is C-level people and startup founders who are obsessed with saving seconds at a time, and the selling point in the beginning was purely UI speed and keyboard commands. They hyper-optimized the UI speed, only worked with Gmail accounts, only on Mac, and were able to charge $30 bucks a month for it. Their session was on understanding user desires in a given market, and optimizing for them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

Isn't it still Airmail captured and renamed?

No? I still use Airmail on Mac and iPhone.

If you’re thinking about the iOS app Microsoft bought a decade ago and turned into Outlook, they never had a macOS version.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I still miss sparrow

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I need to use an old version because for some reason they dropped support for local folders, i.e. an old version of Thunderbird is the only reasonable way I've found to access MBOX exports of former employees' archives, on Mac.

Does anyone have a better solution? Googling hasn't helped.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That sounds wrong to me. Let me ask someone on the team.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I thought so:

quote:

Definitely wrong, we still use mbox as the internal storage format for all mailboxes

E: he suggested https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/ for a friendly UI for importing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nobody’s biting on “AI-driven” as a positive selling point, right?

It all comes across like “your email will be filled with dogs and eyeballs and hands with 19 fingers”

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

Nobody’s biting on “AI-driven” as a positive selling point, right?

It all comes across like “your email will be filled with dogs and eyeballs and hands with 19 fingers”

Literally everyone I talk to understands that "Powered by AI" means it will be absolute trash but for some reason every tech company is all in on it lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Getting decent with *nix and CLI tools has really robbed a lot of the attraction of buying Mac apps for me. Half of the popular stuff on sale is just a gui wrapper for some FOSS stuff. Good for people who don’t want to bother with that though.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
For some reason the storage bar shows that I have almost 100 GB of “System Data” in my MacBook Air. I’m nearing capacity, which is really inconvenient considering I don’t really have all that much stuff.

Research I’ve done so far has led me to usual suspects like Clean My Mac and Onyx by Titanium. I’m just not sure if it’s the best way to solve the issue. I don’t want to delete anything important.

For context, the MacBook is new (bought last summer), but I transferred all of my stuff from my old one with Time Machine. So I most likely imported the junk as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bloody Mayhem posted:

For some reason the storage bar shows that I have almost 100 GB of “System Data” in my MacBook Air. I’m nearing capacity, which is really inconvenient considering I don’t really have all that much stuff.

Research I’ve done so far has led me to usual suspects like Clean My Mac and Onyx by Titanium. I’m just not sure if it’s the best way to solve the issue. I don’t want to delete anything important.

For context, the MacBook is new (bought last summer), but I transferred all of my stuff from my old one with Time Machine. So I most likely imported the junk as well.

Have you tried Disk Inventory X? It’s free and it will show you exactly what is taking up space where.

https://www.derlien.com

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

von Braun posted:

I have a MacBook Pro 2007 running Ventura. for the last couple of years when it should be sleeping/lid is closed, I notices it connects to the Internet for a short while and disconnects again. I usually see this if I am on my PC in the same IRC channel I have connected on my MacBook that it joins/parts. I have googled this behavior before and have checked the battery settings "Wake for network access" and set it to Never, but just now I decided to check logs and such for the first time and found this:

https://paste.quest/?e9e0a142ec021c69#AUdmXwfCnHsQaHA5XZDgm6sr3t9uvqELqxvMs5Rovgbr

Why is it doing this and can I make it just sleep till I wake it myself?

Isn't this a feature called Power Nap? I remember it being a bit buggy at release. A 2007 would be capped at El Capitan 11.6 something. Are you running the latest for your machine? You can start a HAUS thread if you like too.

EDIT: Saw it was probably a typo, 2017/Ventura. Do you have external devices, mouse/kb/touchpad/storage plugged in? Do you use Outlook or the Mail.app for emails? Both have options for waking the computer.

Any water damage or has it gotten damp at any point? These have touchy hall effect sensors placed right at the edge, it could be waking due to liquid damage?

Edited edit: Looking at the log, the reasons are: maintenance, ARP request, Lid open, Alarm

maybe do a pmset -g and post the results? Once on Adapter, once on battery.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 3, 2023

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

Silly Burrito posted:

Have you tried Disk Inventory X? It’s free and it will show you exactly what is taking up space where.

https://www.derlien.com

I haven’t heard of this one, thanks!

Do you know how it compares to the other ones? All I want is not to gently caress up anything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Do you know how it compares to the other ones? All I want is not to gently caress up anything.

Disk Inventory X doesn’t delete anything unless you hit that “Move to Trash” button. It won’t gently caress up your system, it just shows you what’s using all that space.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Arivia posted:

Disk Inventory X doesn’t delete anything unless you hit that “Move to Trash” button. It won’t gently caress up your system, it just shows you what’s using all that space.

Exactly. This just shows you what’s eating up your space. You still have to delete it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BUUNNI posted:

Literally everyone I talk to understands that "Powered by AI" means it will be absolute trash but for some reason every tech company is all in on it lol

Large tech companies are absolutely terrified of getting "disrupted" into irrelevance. Witness how almost every single version of Windows (or spin-off version) was Microsoft chasing perceived threats and then tearing that poo poo down when they realized that the market wasn't going the way they expected. Windows 8 was the worst example of this; turns out that no, Apple wasn't going to replace the Macs with iPads.

Re: AI specifically, there are definitely uses for it. I'm extremely tech-skeptical but even I see that. I think people overestimate it by a large margin but there's no reason why it couldn't be used to help create a better Siri, for example. Gurman has already said this is going to happen.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 3, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh for sure. I’ve been poking around with LLMs (offline local versions of GPT basically) and there is some potential there. That said it’s a nightmare to read up on any aspect of them as 99.999999% of the stuff out there is either written by a grifter, cultist true believer, or someone trying to have sex with the AI model.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As much as I roll my eyes at anyone touting AI-anything, I will 1000% believe *GPT or whatever could tell me "what's traffic like up ahead?" which to this day Siri can't make heads or tails of.

It is literally the only question I could ever imagine asking Siri and it has absolutely no idea how to handle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Data Graham posted:

It is literally the only question I could ever imagine asking Siri and it has absolutely no idea how to handle it

I can't tell you how many times I've thought "this should be simple enough for Siri to figure out" and so I ask, only to be unreasonably surprised at the completely idiotic response I get. I think the last thing I asked was (while driving and hooked into CarPlay), "How do I get to my next appointment?" only for it to read me a summary of the next thing on my calendar.

Before that I'd tried "pause the living room Apple TV" on my watch, and it derped out with "I can't do that on your Apple Watch." WELL WHY THE gently caress NOT?

We're at the end of 2023 and all I regularly use Siri for is to set timers, because it's still too stupid to do anything else.