Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That's what everyone else tells me but to me it has an extremely strong flavour to the point that it's the most noticeable component of anything with it in.

It is a bit random though, some cucumbers have it and others don't. Not sure if there's some weird variety or age related thing that I'm picking up.
I wonder if it's a genetic thing like the gene that makes some other greens taste like soap and poisonous alkaloids.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I wonder what is going on in these cats' brains when they see whole cucumbers? Snake maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBrZsgy4-SQ
I'd be unhappy if someone put a vegetable half my size behind me while I was having dinner, especially a weird one that looks a bit like a green mamba snake.

The number 8 has been argued as the first to be considered composite, either as "twice four" or as "two short of ten", or similar, as 7 has been claimed to be the highest number of items that can universally be cognitively processed as a single set. This appears in Turkic and Finno-Ugric numbering systems, and also in 8 bit video game consoles.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

happyhippy posted:

I'm a vegan. This £50 challenge gonna be a piece of piss!

I'm going to take this vodka drinking challenge!

Except I don't like ethanol, so it's just distilled water for me.

Outcome: I'm the fool because I took part in any sort of "challenge"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I recognize Tesla and Twain, but who are the walrus and the tycoon?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tycoon is J P Morgan, not sure who the other very hirsute magnate is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if it's a genetic thing like the gene that makes some other greens taste like soap and poisonous alkaloids.

I do have a similar problem with coriander, can't eat anything with it in because all I can taste is the coriander and the coriander tastes absolutely foul. A shame because pho is otherwise delicious.

It's a similar kind of repellant taste too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 3, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I have this with brussel sprouts. They just taste like tinsel

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
what flavour tinsel?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sprouts are conversely probably my favourite vegetable, I wish they were an all year thing as I would never stop eating them. Don't even need seasoning or anything, just steam them a bit and I can sit with a a bowl of them and just munch them like popcorn.

I like to parboil then fry them as a substitute for chips or rice but I usually end up eating quite a number of them during the cooking process.

Cabbage on the other hand is dire, just sloppy, tasteless sprout.

I can see where you'd maybe get tinsel though, they do have a faintly metallic flavour, like liver or lamb.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Owlfancier outdoing himself on controversial veg-posting tonight

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I don't eat crisps much and I don't drink but I do have Opinions on vegetables.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

And just like the same time last year, the sprout discussion begins again in earnest.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You're all wrong. Broccoli is the superior veg.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broccoli is quite good yes. You want to get the tips crispy though.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I now do “posh” broccoli cheese by tossing broccoli in oil and garlic and then roasting, then grating Parmesan over for the last 5 mins. I recommend it for your Xmas dinner

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

imagine eating Christmas dinner and giving a gently caress about the broccoli

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm pretty sure the cucumber flavour thing is a person-to-person variation. Maybe genetic yeah, as someone upthread said, like the coreander=soap thing, or the brussels=bitter poison thing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's a guy who wouldn't eat a salad you probably would like to meet and converse with.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We've had the cucumber discussion before. A friend of mine has the cucumber gene and knows if she's in the room with one, like some sort of side character from Vic Reeves Big Night Out. The myth goes it is similar to the American brown snake so she'll be safe from that, or doubly paranoid about salad.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well cooked veg isn’t a chore to eat or something you push around the plate to get to the turkey. Nice veg cooked well enhances the other stuff

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I did some roasted broccoli the other day. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, chuck in the oven until it's just starting to char the edges of the tree bits. Delicious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Sprouts are conversely probably my favourite vegetable, I wish they were an all year thing as I would never stop eating them. Don't even need seasoning or anything, just steam them a bit and I can sit with a a bowl of them and just munch them like popcorn.

I like to parboil then fry them as a substitute for chips or rice but I usually end up eating quite a number of them during the cooking process.

I can see where you'd maybe get tinsel though, they do have a faintly metallic flavour, like liver or lamb.
Sprouts have recently been rebred to lose the bitter taste and taste more like broccoli and kohlrabi and other green stem vegetables, so that may be them as well as you. Cabbage has also been spliced and isolated in the opposite direction to be less soggy, and be more a brassicaceae type tasty green food plant.

e: Fried kale is also good and in the same genus.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i hope you've all got your christmas broccolis booked and ordered.

imagine xmas morning and mum yells out gently caress theres no broccoli

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Sprouts have recently been rebred to lose the bitter taste and taste more like broccoli and kohlrabi and other green stem vegetables, so that may be them as well as you. Cabbage has also been spliced and isolated in the opposite direction to be less soggy, and be more a brassicaceae type tasty green food plant.

e: Fried kale is also good and in the same genus.

I still haven't met a sprout I could stand to eat. They taste like something I should instantly spit out, so bitter. But I will keep trying, maybe I'll find a magical sprout.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

Snake is the theory yeah.
I was reading something about cats and object permenance, there's a theory that 'something that is suddenly there that wasn't there before' sets off their panic reflex because it has the same response as 'is moving toward me very fast.'

kecske posted:

I don't think piss is vegan
Was it harvested willingly and cruelty free?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
or get so drunk you don't know what you're eating

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Be careful that you don't end up as a young earther or Calvinist TUVer getting that far out of sorts with your mental state. They all started out somewhere.

HopperUK posted:

I still haven't met a sprout I could stand to eat. They taste like something I should instantly spit out, so bitter. But I will keep trying, maybe I'll find a magical sprout.
I like the new sprouts that they do at the Co-op, there's no bitter narcotic edge that signals the strychnine alkaloids that might do my organs in, and a lot more like a greenish cauliflower or green bean taste.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never honestly had a bad sprout so it might just be me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every sprout I've had in the past decade has tasted like it was a good sprout designed to be eaten as a vegetable, but the same is true for every cabbage, so I may have been vegetally conditioned by the brassica lizard people who are allegedly doing things to the greens.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i prefer mushy sprouts.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lmao

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guavanaut posted:

tbh I had been assuming my improved opinion of cabbage was just me getting older and improving my palate, but I'm happy to accept agriculture magic

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The gently caress? The restaurant are being stingey cunts

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Couldn’t agree more, insanely good. Roast them for not too long with some balsamic and you have heaven in a bowl

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
inspiring stuff

quote:

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, the Labour leader said Thatcher had “set loose our natural entrepreneurialism” during her time as prime minister.

“Across Britain, there are people who feel disillusioned, frustrated, angry, worried. Many of them have always voted Conservative but feel that their party has left them,” he said. “I understand that. I saw that with my own party and acted to fix it. But I also understand that many will still be uncertain about Labour. I ask them to take a look at us again.”

In the article, Starmer pointed to Labour prime ministers of the past – Tony Blair and Clement Attleee – as well as Thatcher, as examples of how politicians can effect meaningful change.

Starmer said it was “in this sense of public service” that he had overseen a dramatic change in the Labour party – cutting its ties with former leader Jeremy Corbyn and expelling him from the party. “The course of shock therapy we gave our party had one purpose: to ensure that we were once again rooted in the priorities, the concerns and the dreams of ordinary British people. To put country before party,” he said. Starmer claimed his party was “moving back towards voters” while “the Tory party has been steadily drifting away”.

The Labour leader touted the party’s “iron-clad fiscal rules” in an effort to portray Labour as trustworthy on the economy. “There will be many on my own side who will feel frustrated by the difficult choices we will have to make,” he added. “This is non-negotiable: every penny must be accounted for. The public finances must be fixed so we can get Britain growing and make people feel better off.”

On migration, Starmer said: “This is a government that was elected on a promise that immigration would ‘come down’ and the British people would ‘always be in control’. For immigration to then triple is more than just yet another failure – it is a betrayal of their promises.”
'think of the transformative changes made by past great prime ministers of different ideological stripes, such as attlee, blair, and thatcher. i won't be doing any of that. it'll be a challenge just keeping the lights on. but rest assured, i'm the penny-pinching accountant for the job.'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Apraxin posted:

inspiring stuff

'think of the transformative changes made by past great prime ministers of different ideological stripes, such as attlee, blair, and thatcher. i won't be doing any of that. it'll be a challenge just keeping the lights on. but rest assured, i'm the penny-pinching accountant for the job.'

Now now, be fair. He does make an implicit promise that he'll machine gun the boats.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Chubby Henparty posted:

We've had the cucumber discussion before. A friend of mine has the cucumber gene and knows if she's in the room with one, like some sort of side character from Vic Reeves Big Night Out. The myth goes it is similar to the American brown snake so she'll be safe from that, or doubly paranoid about salad.

Yeah we have, I remember ranting because I am also a Cucumber Mentat and places are always putting it in the water and it tastes like doo-doo water

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm glad that I'm normal and so can enjoy the normal tastes of normal foods and know that coriander is good, cucumber is OK, sprouts are fine and celery is disgusting trash.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

Sprouts have recently been rebred to lose the bitter taste and taste more like broccoli and kohlrabi and other green stem vegetables

Yes, they have ruined them, like broccoli before them; everything is blander now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Apraxin posted:

inspiring stuff

Quote from article Apraxin quoted:

quote:

Starmer said it was “in this sense of public service” that he had overseen a dramatic change in the Labour party – cutting its ties with former leader Jeremy Corbyn and expelling him from the party.

When was Corbyn expelled from the Labour Party?
I thought he was still a member of the LP but not of the PLP (whip withdrawn)?

I fkin hate Starmer with a vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apraxin posted:

inspiring stuff

i will never vote for a single human that i know has ever praised thatcher, tactical voting or otherwise included.
i wouldn't vote for this transphobic flip flopping tory agent anyway because he's a little mercenary oval office who gets off on killing innocent people of colour on the underground, but a declaration of support for thatcher is a useful basic red line to figure out if someones a poo poo. if he's actively trying to lose his potential base voters, doing a good job.