Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Beauty. Canfield always nails the geo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

snyprmag posted:

On Haleakala or the west side?
The legal riding area just outside of makawao. The specific trail was Pineapple Express.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If anyone is in need of a cheap dropper, TELLIS99 for any remaining inventory for $99

https://sdgcomponents.com/products/tellis-dropper-seat-post

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

If anyone is in need of a cheap dropper, TELLIS99 for any remaining inventory for $99

https://sdgcomponents.com/products/tellis-dropper-seat-post

Aaaaah where was this 2 weeks ago :cry:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

New XC whip - Orbea Alma H20

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

amenenema posted:

I don't see many Orbeas out there. My neighbors are from Germany and their kids have them, very nice bikes.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I don't see many Orbeas out there. My neighbors are from Germany and their kids have them, very nice bikes.

I also saw them as a rare oddity for years. The frame/paint quality is some of the highest I've seen. Compared to a BMC twostroke it's not even close. Plus Orbea is worker owned, which is a cool bonus!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
@VacaGrande; how the gently caress do you ride some of the features on Blue Tongue at stromlo? There's one which is like, straight up a rock after a tight left turn. There's no run up or anything!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

amenenema posted:

Nice! A friend has one and absolutely adores it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking at a Salsa Timberjack XT 27.5 for my first mountain bike while it's on sale.

Any reason to get something else in the sub $2000 range? The last time I bought a bike, I got a gravel bike for $1100 and spent the next year changing out all of the components. I'd rather spend more up front this time.

I'll be riding local to Orange County, CA. Any reason this bike won't handle the local terrain?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wouldn’t get a 27.5″ model unless your frame size is so small as to necessitate it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I wouldn’t get a 27.5″ model unless your frame size is so small as to necessitate it.

I'm reading 29" are sluggish and not nimble? Or is that old news? I'm 6' tall and would be on a large frame.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
You should try it, or any other bike, out if possible. I love my 27.5”, and came from riding a 29”. I’m solidly in the medium size. The Salsa is a nice bike overall too, bikes are just hard to blindly recommend as ‘the choice’.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I'm reading 29" are sluggish and not nimble? Or is that old news? I'm 6' tall and would be on a large frame.

Consider the relationship between your own height and the size of the bike. If we put kids on smaller wheels until they get bigger it makes sense that people riding L/XL frames should also seek larger wheel sizes. 29" being not as nimble is kinda not an issue IMO for 99% of the riding you'd end up doing and the benefits are actually significant. If my enduro bike could take 29s I'd probably look for 29s.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Most would recommend you be on a 29er unless you have some specific use case:

Small frame - nope
Downhill robustness - doesn't sound like it
Wider tires for more flotation in sandy/loose soils - maybe?

Do you want a more XC focused hardtail (trade downhill stability for uphill efficiency) or something more for charging downhill?

Note you can also get a decent full suspension rig from Canyon for under $2k, but you will absolutely get better parts spec on a hardtail.

Look for a full Deore groupset (vs low end Sram) and boost thru-axles. Decent air fork too. Supposedly Suntour low end air is better than RockShox but I don't have first hand experience.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

Consider the relationship between your own height and the size of the bike. If we put kids on smaller wheels until they get bigger it makes sense that people riding L/XL frames should also seek larger wheel sizes. 29" being not as nimble is kinda not an issue IMO for 99% of the riding you'd end up doing and the benefits are actually significant. If my enduro bike could take 29s I'd probably look for 29s.

I never thought of it this way, but it explains why I loved the switch from 29" to 27.5".

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

27.5 is fine. As is 29. Sit on both sizes if you can and pick which one feels better to you.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I'm looking at a Salsa Timberjack XT 27.5 for my first mountain bike while it's on sale.

Any reason to get something else in the sub $2000 range? The last time I bought a bike, I got a gravel bike for $1100 and spent the next year changing out all of the components. I'd rather spend more up front this time.

I'll be riding local to Orange County, CA. Any reason this bike won't handle the local terrain?

If you're looking at hardtails, it's worth watching Hardtail Party on YouTube. He reviews a ton of bikes and is very knowledgeable.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking at hardtails because of the better components for the price. But truthfully, I didn't mind the components that my gravel bike came with - the upgrades were a result of a domino effect of going to hydraulic brakes from mechanical disk, and then wanting a bigger gear range because everything around here is big climbs. Then a dropper post, and I started researching suspension stems, and I realized I was building a mountain bike.

It seemed that having the better components was worth giving up the rear suspension - although I've never had rear suspension so I don't know what it could do for me. I guess this might be true to a certain price point?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I'm looking at hardtails because of the better components for the price. But truthfully, I didn't mind the components that my gravel bike came with - the upgrades were a result of a domino effect of going to hydraulic brakes from mechanical disk, and then wanting a bigger gear range because everything around here is big climbs. Then a dropper post, and I started researching suspension stems, and I realized I was building a mountain bike.

It seemed that having the better components was worth giving up the rear suspension - although I've never had rear suspension so I don't know what it could do for me. I guess this might be true to a certain price point?

You have the right idea. Honestly hardtails being 'more fun' is absolutely the case if you aren't riding stuff where you need the rear suspension. You also definitely get way better components. If nothing else starting with a hardtail will really let you develop good habits and you'll absolutely appreciate the full sus more if you decide to go down that path.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Definitely get better components for the money going with a hardtail. If you're doing a ton of climbing, the hardtail is great for that. The full suspension shines in chunky descents and jumps/drops.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Can you find a YouTube video of someone riding the trail(s) you wanna ride?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Definitely get better components for the money going with a hardtail. If you're doing a ton of climbing, the hardtail is great for that. The full suspension shines in chunky descents and jumps/drops.

The thing about climbing is that you have to come back down. Doesn't a locking rear suspension help with climbing efficiency or is it not as good as a hard tail? They seem to be on higher end bikes though?

amenenema posted:

Can you find a YouTube video of someone riding the trail(s) you wanna ride?

Basically this whole channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0oRKQzRHss

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

The thing about climbing is that you have to come back down. Doesn't a locking rear suspension help with climbing efficiency or is it not as good as a hard tail? They seem to be on higher end bikes though?

You have to descend but not "spiritedly" if you don't want. Full suspension are definitely more capable at fast descents.

Yes you can lock out the rear shock. Problem is a full suspension bike as well specd as the hardtail would be $1000 more.

I also fully endorse a hardtail for a first mtb. It makes you a better rider.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Depending on the trails, too, the descents may not warrant carrying the extra weight of rear shock. All that said, modern XC FS bikes are great

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Timberjack is a nice bike I was gonna get one but due to a stock level snafu with a shop I missed out and had to settle for my roscoe 8 in early 2020 when stock was impossible to find. Salsa is also just a way cooler brand than trek. It comes with all the good stuff, 1x, dropper, thru axles, etc and that sale price is real nice.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Boogalo posted:

27.5 is fine. As is 29. Sit on both sizes if you can and pick which one feels better to you.

This is the way.

I'll add that if you can rent or demo the bikes so you can take them out of the parking lot and on to the trails you intend to ride that's the real way to find out which one you vibe with best. The beauty of this sport is that there's not always a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, it's what works best for you.

For example I have a friend that swears by his 27.5s and will probably never convert to 29. He prefers the agility of the 27.5 to mountain goat his way up rocky climbs and to negotiate the numerous rock gardens of Patapsco Valley State Park.

Speaking for myself I started out in 2017 on a 29er hardtail that felt like driving a monster truck (my basis of comparison being a 26" from like 2000). Then I fell in love with a 27.5+ full suspension and that bike is where it's at for my 90% XC riding. I also have a 29er hardtail when I feel like upping the challenge or going fast on flatter trail systems. It's also useful as a teaching tool in my coaching because most of our student riders are on hardtails so it's good to ride something like what they ride once in a while to feel the trail from their perspective and remind myself that hardtails are far less forgiving of line choice than a full suspension.

FogHelmut posted:

Firming up the dampers and reducing travel both on the fork and the rear (if applicable) help translate more of your pedal stroke into forward motion; however, you rarely want to fully 'lock out' because that will cause the bike to lose grip and that will negatively affect your climbing. The name of the game for being an efficient climber balancing grip with pedaling efficiency.

The video you linked showed an initial climb on a wide and relatively smooth trail that would lend itself to locking out the fork and rear shock. You just have to remember to un-lock them before descending or your descent will be, uh mighty uncomfortable.

If you want to get really fancy there are bikes out there with remote lockout levers and multiple 'modes' of suspension travel and damping force that you can select with your thumb. Those are really good for people that ride cross-country type terrain where they're constantly swapping between ascent, descent, and flow mode. It's not an essential feature, but can be a nice quality-of-life thing.

quote:

That trail is 100% doable (and fun) on a hardtail. There's one bit around the 8 minute mark in the video which will likely give you trouble which is the 'punchy climb' (that's mountain biker for 'punch you in the legs/gut/soul') over the rocks which gives the presenter some trouble.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 3, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Arishtat posted:

If you want to get really fancy there are bikes out there with remote lockout levers and multiple 'modes' of suspension travel and damping force that you can select with your thumb. Those are really good for people that ride cross-country type terrain where they're constantly swapping between ascent, descent, and flow mode. It's not an essential feature, but can be a nice quality-of-life thing.

I don’t think OP will be able to get that fancy in the 2k FS price range.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I don’t think OP will be able to get that fancy in the 2k FS price range.

Fair point, wasn't suggesting going straight to that level right away, simply offering it as additional information.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Arishtat posted:

That trail is 100% doable (and fun) on a hardtail. There's one bit around the 8 minute mark in the video which will likely give you trouble which is the 'punchy climb' (that's mountain biker for 'punch you in the legs/gut/soul') over the rocks which gives the presenter some trouble.

I've done a number of these on my gravel bike, so they're definitely doable on a hard tail. Most of the trails in this area - at last that I've been willing to tackle anyway - are like these. The biggest challenge I've had on climbs is conditions being very dry and loose. When things get chunky either going up or down, I've got to be very careful about lines and go pretty slow, and even then it's not always pleasant.

I guess the only remaining concern I have is that despite the difference in suspension, tires, handlebars, seating position, gearing, geometry, etc, will stopping short of full suspension be enough of a change from fully rigid.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Modern mtb geo and bars offer a level of body movement and control that will be a significant departure from a gravel bike. Part of the increasing width of gravel bars is a response to a need for better control against terrain features.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The difference between a gravel bike and even the most conservative XC hardtail on singletrack is huge. Wide flat bars alone are a major improvement, and then add a suspension fork!

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

An "aggressive enough" hardtail is sufficient to ride essentially every trail on Earth. Full suspension buys you comfort and a margin for error, but MTB geometry and front suspension get you most of the way there. It will be night-and-day versus a gravel bike.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FogHelmut posted:

FWIW I never lock out my rear on my Trek Fuel EX8. I do a lot of Colorado front range climbing. Maybe I would if I had remote lockout. Not worth forgetting to unlock it or stopping for mid ride downhills. I don't notice a big enough difference to care. Maybe if we had long fire road climbs.

Setec_Astronomy posted:

An "aggressive enough" hardtail is sufficient to ride essentially every trail on Earth. Full suspension buys you comfort and a margin for error, but MTB geometry and front suspension get you most of the way there. It will be night-and-day versus a gravel bike.

This is really the case. I prefer my FS on more of the chunky front range trails here but I also spent 8 years on an '08 trek hard tail with 100 mm upfront and a 71 degree head angle riding those same trails.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

https://theradavist.com/new-mountain-bikers-should-start-on-full-suspension-bikes/

Hardtails are harder and I find they beat you up a lot more. Climbing traction is still miles better than a gravel bike though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't really feel like climbing traction is that big of a deal on a fs vs a hardtail. Things I really notice on the fs vs the hardtail - the slacker geo and longer bike is more stable, it's smoother and faster over rougher terrain, and more comfortable on longer rides. Basically just more fun to ride, especially downhill. The hardtail is great when i'm out on the smoother trails, and want to go uphill real fast. And good when you're not sure if the "gravel" ride is actually a mtb ride. It's also simpler, lighter, lower maintenance. With the FS i feel like i'm always taking something apart, replacing a bearing, diagnosing a click or a creak, etc.

(I do have a dropper for this one)

I wound up riding both the same amount this year, but If I had to pick one I'd stick with the hei hei. It's still pretty fast and light and i still race it depending on the course. Think I'll keep them around another season and then replace them both with a new full suspension bike that's a little lighter/more "XC race" like an orbea oiz or the upcoming new scalpel.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 3, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

jamal posted:

I don't really feel like climbing traction is that big of a deal on a fs vs a hardtail. Things I really notice on the fs vs the hardtail - the slacker geo and longer bike is more stable, it's smoother and faster over rougher terrain, and more comfortable on longer rides. Basically just more fun to ride, especially downhill. The hardtail is great when i'm out on the smoother trails, and want to go uphill real fast.

This all depends on the hardtail as well. I have a Chromag Rootdown BA and it's as long and slack as a typical enduro bike (64 degree HTA, 48" wheel base) and rides like one on DH trails. You have to ride with a different style -- e.g. leading with the front on big drops -- but it will get you down even the roughest stuff in relative comfort.

I don't ride it that much anymore, though, due to the lower margin for error. I broke several bones when it was my main bike because I screwed up some drop/roll/jump and I didn't have the rear suspension to save me. In fact, I've broken 3 bones in my life and all 3 were in the 1 year when the Chromag was my main bike. It's an unbelievably fun and capable bike but the risk is a lot higher than on a similar geo full suspension bike.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If it helps, I'm turning 40 this week, I have pretty good fitness, and I do very small jumps and inadvertent flicks on my gravel bike because it's pretty much all mountain bike trails around here. The heavy majority of riders I've seen are on full suspension, but I don't know if that's a necessity or a preference.

I'm sure I'd be happy enough with Deore. I'll start worrying about saving ounces and grams about as soon as I start worrying about how much pizza I eat. I just don't know anything about shocks, or how much more a rear shock costs for the same groupset.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Imo, because I was in your situation just recently!

If you already have a gravel bike buying a full sus will add the most scope to your riding. You'll be able to take on more trails and go to bike parks and all that other good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

I do agree that if you've got the budget you should go full suspension. You'll be more comfortable and have a wider selection of trails more easily available to you.