Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Book of Living Myths is so good that it may entirely justify this character existing at all. It enables Armageddon & friends so hard, kicks rear end with covenants, etc.

drat shame he can't take Research Librarian. Maybe Versatile?? (no)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Ubik_Lives posted:

It amuses me that he is dabbling in the occult. Nothing serious, just a bit of a hobby for him.

Maybe we'll be getting more support for that in Hemlock Vale, but for now Occult level 0 seems to be there purely so that he can take the untranslated Cryptic Grimoire and research it, otherwise he'd have no way to take the higher-level versions (though it's still debatable whether he should).

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Even if his ability isn't strong, 0-5 Blessed and Cursed sounds like it might lead to interesting builds.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Book of Living Myths is so good that it may entirely justify this character existing at all. It enables Armageddon & friends so hard, kicks rear end with covenants, etc.

drat shame he can't take Research Librarian. Maybe Versatile?? (no)
Backpack(2). It’s for Mystics now!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Rythian posted:

Favor of the Sun/Moon and Paradoxical Covenant is going to be amazing for this guy.

I think leaning towards blessings and Ancient Covenant is probably better for him. His stats are decent enough that a +2 from the bag should be a success on any non-evade tests and his book lets you guarantee you'll pull the blessing unless someone at your table pulls a bunch of them on a test or runs curses. Add blessings with cards as normal, every other turn you get an extra action if nobody pulled the single curse token on the odd turn.

e: misread the passive, once every 3 turns you get an extra action if nobody pulls it on the 2 off turns, which is a lot worse, so I suppose you do want to run a little curse generation.

Faustian Bargain and Deep Knowledge are good picks, though the combo is a bit fragile since his passive is activated at the start of his turn, so you still have to go through a mythos cycle before you can cash in those curses. Dark Ritual does work pretty well with his passive though, since it discards at the end of the mythos phase.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 1, 2023

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
How do you all store your collections?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i just started the Binder Method, after previously using a big box. The box was nicer for me but worse for my friends, who don't have an obsessive's knowledge of what cards exist and want the ease of browsing that binders provide. I have one for each class and one for neutral/multiclass.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I use these: https://a.co/d/dxJxaH6

One color binder for each class, separate binders for lvl 0 and lvl 1-5. Multiclass cards go in with the neutral class.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Backpack(2). It’s for Mystics now!

That's a good one, I knew I was forgetting some kind of item tutor that Mystics can take. That and Spirit of Humanity are almost like additional signature cards for him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Don’t make the mistake I made, spinning out because their cards aren’t released. I made at least six versions of sister Mary decks before the Holy Spear/Nepthys came out. They’re just gonna release a lot of cards that work well with this guy.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I want to play Holy Spear with him.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Nebrilos posted:

How do you all store your collections?
I have a bunch of Gamegenic Dungeon boxes with little seperator cards for each class/level/encounter set.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Are your separators an easily linkable/buyable thing or did you just cut your own? I'm planning to go a similar route but am sick to death of estimating measurements for various storage options and want something at least slightly nicer than I could carve out of construction paper, so if you've already done the research on what fits well in the gamegenic boxes I'd love to steal your notes.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I store my small collection in my Arkham Horror second edition box.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
For a while, I stored my collection my revised core set box, using mini-boxes 3d-printed by my friend, but my collection no longer fits in it by a long shot.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I keep my campaigns in their Return To boxes, which works really well (though this is grantedly expensive, I find the Return To game content generally worth it.)

I haven’t bought any of the campaigns without Return To sets yet. Bummer they don’t seem intent on continuing them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've got my player cards in binders like everyone else although I just use three bigger ones.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Are your separators an easily linkable/buyable thing or did you just cut your own? I'm planning to go a similar route but am sick to death of estimating measurements for various storage options and want something at least slightly nicer than I could carve out of construction paper, so if you've already done the research on what fits well in the gamegenic boxes I'd love to steal your notes.

I made my own and just printed them on a laser printer on heavy paper and laminated them, but there were a bunch of sets on BGG when I looked.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Irony.or.Death posted:

https://www.gamegenic.com/product/flex-card-divider/?attribute_pa_color=multicolor-pack
I used these. They aren't cheap but I knew they'd fit and they are bright/I can sharpie on the tab.

Although the larger my set gets the more I want to get some custom ones with the encounter set icons on them. I've seen some on Etsy and the like and I'm willing to try dropping some cash to see if they'll fit.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Boundary Beyond/Heart of the Elders feels weird. It seems like the design was intended as a catch-up mechanic, where players that are ahead of the curb can skip HOTE-A, and players who are behind the curb can replay HOTE-A until they can pass it. But because you can’t gain experience from incomplete runs of HOTE-A, it doesn’t (fully) work that way.

Replaying HOTE-A is not very interesting. It will probably take us four runs in total to get through.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Heart of the Elders A is easily a bottom 2 scenario in Arkham, and Heart of the Elders B is really not particularly good. It's Scenario 2 all over again, almost literally.

TFA has cool ideas and some real problems.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Anonymous Robot posted:

Boundary Beyond/Heart of the Elders feels weird. It seems like the design was intended as a catch-up mechanic, where players that are ahead of the curb can skip HOTE-A, and players who are behind the curb can replay HOTE-A until they can pass it. But because you can’t gain experience from incomplete runs of HOTE-A, it doesn’t (fully) work that way.

Replaying HOTE-A is not very interesting. It will probably take us four runs in total to get through.
We're playing pretty much at the same pace as you. We just encountered how hard TBB was when we only managed to unlock one path but otherwise made it out OK.
But it made HotE-A a real chore. It's not hard, it just took us like an hour and a half of moving and investigating to fill in the missing totems, which we all agreed we'd rather have spent the time starting the HotE-B (which we are going to do tomorrow).

Does Return To make it any more interesting or balanced?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

kaffo posted:

We're playing pretty much at the same pace as you. We just encountered how hard TBB was when we only managed to unlock one path but otherwise made it out OK.
But it made HotE-A a real chore. It's not hard, it just took us like an hour and a half of moving and investigating to fill in the missing totems, which we all agreed we'd rather have spent the time starting the HotE-B (which we are going to do tomorrow).

Does Return To make it any more interesting or balanced?

If you are already using the Return To explore rule, as is often recommended, not really. It adds one enemy that is kind of fun, which is a smaller snake bird that you can command to attack other enemies if you control the mysterious scepter supply item from scenario 2.

What is making HOTE-A unnecessarily dire is that my group is unwilling to reset and start a new day in the same session. So I spend half hour setting up and we play for less than an hour, then wait a week or more to play again.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you are already using the Return To explore rule, as is often recommended, not really. It adds one enemy that is kind of fun, which is a smaller snake bird that you can command to attack other enemies if you control the mysterious scepter supply item from scenario 2.

What is making HOTE-A unnecessarily dire is that my group is unwilling to reset and start a new day in the same session. So I spend half hour setting up and we play for less than an hour, then wait a week or more to play again.
TIL about the Return To Explore rule. I just read about it and see why it's an improvement. We had 2 of the earlier scenarios feel pretty bad because our first 2-3 actions were failed explores followed by basically only successful ones. That makes way more sense.

And yeah, that would be frustrating. We were very close to just running B right after A but we were running the wire close with the setup and we assumed that B would be more meaty than A.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That is unfortunate for sure. We generally play our Arkham games assuming they're going to take a full day, so if we finish a scenario quickly or if something like that were to happen, we'd do the reset or in the former situation, we usually do another scenario in the same session. We don't play every week though, pretty sporadic sessions cause everyone is pretty busy these days. I got into the game 2 years ago now and we've played the starter and 3 campaigns as a group.

We've not actually had one thing happen but I'm curious what the group will want to do when it does, we've never had someone get ko'd very quickly in a scenario, if it's happened it's usually right at the end as we're wrapping it up, either to the boss that's spawned or to a treachery that's happened late in the scenario at which point it's fine cause we're mostly done anyway. It'd feel real poo poo if someone got ko'd on like, turn 4 of a 15 turn scenario though, I think when/if it happens we'd probably restart it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The only times I’ve run into that are on Essex County Express, which is infamous for round 1/2 KO’s, and Heart of the Elders A, yesterday in fact, where an ill-advised explore action on the second player turn of the first round spawned an Apex Strangleweed that took two of the three players near to KO trying to deal with it (due to a very nasty combination of having Alert and Retaliate, ending your turn as soon as it gets an attack of opportunity, and being spawned alongside the scenario’s big bad on the starting location.)

Both times, we just said gently caress that and restarted. If you’re getting close KO’d or close to it on turn three or four, your party usually has resources and options for steering through. But sometimes Arkham can just RNG you to death at the starting line.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
finished our first run of scarlet keys by spending way too much time on fortune and folly and then bumbling around the world map missing most missions. Had a good time overall except we pulled 5 ancient evils in the final mission,so we just house ruled one of them to be a resurgent evil to avoid a really feelsbad ending to a campaign

Don't think Id ever replay it with a group because of the huge amount of non gameplay downtime but I'm looking forward to playing through it alone. Some of the story assets we found let us set up an infinitely recharging pendant of the queen which was fun but busted

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Also our fighter cut every weapon in their deck except for runic axe and then it got discarded with the hollow encounter set which was really funny. It was still trivializing the game though

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My group tends to just pretend Ancient Evils is Victory 0 and goes from there.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

So my understanding is if you are playing through a campaign and your investigator is properly killed or driven insane (as opposed to defeated) you can choose a new investigator and rejoin the next scenario with zero XP.
Assuming this is like 3/4 the way through a campaign, wouldn't that be kinda difficult to catch up on? Like some investigators would probably be fine, but others would struggle (I'm looking at Guardians for the most part, not having XP weapons or assets to deal with higher health enemies)

Has this happened to anyone here? Am I worrying about nothing?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that is the rules as written, it does seem like it'd be kinda crippling but I suppose it is supposed to be a bit poo poo so you try and avoid it as much as possible.

The only time one of our group has properly been killed it was the 2nd scenario of Forgotten Age cause he fell behind getting out of the temple and we'd pissed off the snakes quite alot already so they speared him to death in the post scenario text. We'd not done amazing so he was only missing a pretty small amount of xp total and we went on to win the campaign but I'd imagine it'd be far worse the further in you got like in Carcosa if you got hosed up in scenario 4 for example or in a scenario 7.

The way we used to do in 2nd edition of regular Arkham as a house rule was you could donate a couple of the items, clues and stuff you had on you to the replacement investigator with the reasoning being the person coming in was finding their personal effects or whatever and continuing where they'd left off. You could, if you wanted to, just say you have half the XP the dead character had rounded up or something, for example? So it is still a bit of a punishment but it's not a total fun killer, you could still get the vital bits in like a big weapon or spell if you're the fighter.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Yeah I had similar thoughts. We are going to do scenario 5B of TFA tonight and my Ursula was unlucky enough to get Doomed and was even more unlucky enough to be on the final card in the chain, putting me one unlucky draw away from horrible, instant death.
So I'm considering mg options for if I need a new investigator (even though we are rocking the campaign).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, the killed investigator rules are not great, but I don’t have a one-size-fits-all replacement for them, either. If I were playing by the book and I got killed, I’d roll up a fail-forward survivor or something, but there’s no denying that it’s still punishing you for losing by putting you further behind.

Personally, if someone in my group had a character die, I would recommend just letting them roll a new character using the semi-official one-off scenario rule of getting either 19 or 29 XP and taking one or two extra weaknesses, depending in where in the campaign we were. If they felt that weren’t punitive enough, we could assign some trauma too.

If you want to be hardcore about it, that might actually be rewarding character death (getting to 29XP with only two weaknesses as a cost is a pretty sweet deal) but it would keep my group having fun, and honestly, the true penalty is the time and mindshare investment of having to roll and learn a new character mid-campaign.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

kaffo posted:

Yeah I had similar thoughts. We are going to do scenario 5B of TFA tonight and my Ursula was unlucky enough to get Doomed and was even more unlucky enough to be on the final card in the chain, putting me one unlucky draw away from horrible, instant death.
So I'm considering mg options for if I need a new investigator (even though we are rocking the campaign).

Doomed is a poo poo weakness and should be removed from the deck of possible weaknesses. It isn't remotely interesting.

Our group also draws three weaknesses, picks one to discard, and then gets one of the remaining two at random, since some weaknesses can straight up break certain deck archetypes but aren't a big deal in others.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't find the idea of random weaknesses interesting so I try to pick weaknesses that I think are thematically appropriate to the investigator I'm playing like Narcolepsy for Luke, Leg Injury for Monterey Jack and Stubborn Detective for Finn.

And yeah don't play Doomed.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Yeah well, you see, I was trying to keep in the spirit of the game and really just going for a "Random Basic Weakness" and honestly had no idea what Doomed actually lead to. Well now I know....

We managed to get through HotE-B pretty easily. We lucked out with the placement of 2 easy locations to get clues (and some Victory) then immediately drew the objective location right after we added it from the Act.
After a quick upgade we went into City of Archives right after for the first time and phew, this was a tough one.
Great theme, but man we struggled in that scenario. First off I drew right into The Bell Tolls and was killed off before the first Act or Agenda flipped, so the team was down a member right away. That put the rest of the gang on edge, but they powered through most of their decks and manged to just get out with 4 out the 6 tasks completed.
It didn't really feel like a win though, they said that too. No-one was super pleased with the sudden death nor a lot of the very text-y rules in that scenario. Was quite a lot to take in and we all made mistakes for sure.

Going to play Depths of Yoth on Wednesday with a thrown together Harvey deck!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Doomed doesn't really have much to do with the spirit of the game. Most weaknesses make each scenario a bit more challenging when they come up and slightly penalize card draw.

Doomed basically does nothing. It costs zero actions, doesn't hurt your board state, the horror is a minor inconvenience. Every mission until you permanently lose is easier if you are doomed.

Once you die from it, the best course of action is to stop playing with your friends. Being behind in xp while still drawing cards in the mythos phase makes you a liability. It doesn't matter how good your investigator might be, when everyone else has 20+ xp the best thing to do is just not play.

The card is probably the single worst thing they've ever printed for the game.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, I’ve taken Doomed out of rotation as well. It might be alright as a mystic only weakness, as they have some capacity to deal with it, but it’s not something the other factions can actively play around.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Stella can kick rear end at 0xp (or 3xp with In The Thick of it).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Stella is probably one of the most thematic investigators to Kramer into a campaign halfway through, too. But it's a bit that only really lands once. After that you're just transitioning to a really strong investigator after yours dies as a reliable play pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I like how Eldritch Horror handled defeated investigators. If your investigator is defeated, you still pick a new one, but the defeated one keeps all their stuff and remains on the board as a game piece. Any other investigator (including your new one) who goes to that location can then try to pass a check to claim their stuff. It's not much, but it's better than how the card game handles it, where you just get nothing.