Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
There's no way Charlie Lindgren is that good, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Penguins have gotten some of the best goaltending in the league the last little while, which combined with continued good health from their ancient stars has gotten them up into, uh... (shuffles papers)... 11th place.

:tif:

heating up baby

Furnaceface posted:

Missing/making the playoffs by a single point really does seem like the most Penguins outcome for this season doesnt it.

the most painful would probably be being bad enough to pick top 10. Their pick (that they owe to San Jose) is top 10 protected but if they're bad enough to actually pick top 10 you gotta figure it doesn't get a whole lot better next year meaning they'd probably keep the pick and then hand San Jose an even better pick next year.

I kinda doubt they'll be that bad though. Good underlying numbers and such. It'd take a Crosby injury probably to get them there

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's amazing how big a difference comes just from what expectations are. Sens lose 4-2 to the worst team in the conference, Smith and players are playing the "well there are positives to take from it..." angle. It couldn't be clearer that the Senators coach, and therefore the Senators players, take the ice every game expecting to lose.

Meanwhile the Lightning lost to the Penguins by the same score, mostly because Jarry made some big saves and Vasilevskiy didn't, and Jon Cooper was seething in his postgame presser and calling out his team's effort/focus level in his understated way. (Paraphrasing, he said "I asked the guys if that was how they'd play it in the playoffs... and from here on every game's going to have be treated like a playoff game, or we're not going to be there.")

How's that going for coop and the gang?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I kinda doubt they'll be that bad though. Good underlying numbers and such. It'd take a Crosby injury probably to get them there

or Jarry going back in the tank

Kale
May 14, 2010

Of loving course Newhook is out long term now too cause he actually competes every shift and wears a Habs jersey

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe it’s finally karma for having run the league like a cartel for 60 years.

Detroit is next.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Daniil Tarasov has been put on LTIR and sent to Cleveland for a conditioning stint, which, combined with Edmonton scouting Columbus' last three games, makes people think EDM is going to trade for one of CBJ's guys.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Daniil Tarasov has been put on LTIR and sent to Cleveland for a conditioning stint, which, combined with Edmonton scouting Columbus' last three games, makes people think EDM is going to trade for one of CBJ's guys.

“We need to turn our season around. Let’s make our team better by trading for a player currently playing for the 2023 Columbus Blue Jackets. This will surely solve our problems on winning.”

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

“We need to turn our season around. Let’s make our team better by trading for a player currently playing for the 2023 Columbus Blue Jackets. This will surely solve our problems on winning.”

You have to admit, Edmonton trading for Gaudreau would be loving hilarious in so many ways.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goddamn that would rock

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duckman2008 posted:

Neither of the goalies have looked bad, they've just been hung out to dry by the players in front of them.

Elvis has a 3.04 and .911, which is in the general vicinity of average this year based on what someone posted recently, isn't it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

You have to admit, Edmonton trading for Gaudreau would be loving hilarious in so many ways.

Oh god yes.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Neither of the goalies have looked bad, they've just been hung out to dry by the players in front of them.

Elvis has a 3.04 and .911, which is in the general vicinity of average this year based on what someone posted recently, isn't it?

I respect your fandom, but as a Flyers fan my point is to let the hate into your heart.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey after 24 games San Jose has a -54 goal differential.

No real post, just wanted to point it out.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I know I defend the Rangers pretty much every time. but (Joe Buck voice) this is a DISGUSTING act

https://twitter.com/daveyupper/status/1731091148465135810?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I know I defend the Rangers pretty much every time. but (Joe Buck voice) this is a DISGUSTING act

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I’m laughing too.

A+ rat behavior.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
If you've never gotten a stink mitt before, you don't know how awful this is.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
But he's OUR rat.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I love poo poo like that. Not dirty hits, dirty plays, or brain scorching fights, but poo poo that gets under the skin of the opposition.

Everybody complains that dudes like Crosby and McDavid are "hockey robots," but when you get dudes that are ok with being villains it owns. Hated by 31 teams, loved by 1.

Using Corey Perry as an example:
Cool and good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gV9g-O-zKE
Bad and dumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RY6psYkDQ

BTW: I'd loving love for every player to be mic'ed up to hear all the chirps, but that'll never happen.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/broadsthockey/status/1731107968723120308?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
For all accounts Trochek is a giant jerk on the ice in that rat way, constantly talking poo poo too. Enough that when he signed with the rangers his new teammates were like “uhh yeah he’s really annoying and frustrating to play against he seems like an rear end in a top hat”
But seems to get along with his teammates at least

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deoju posted:

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I love poo poo like that. Not dirty hits, dirty plays, or brain scorching fights, but poo poo that gets under the skin of the opposition.

Using Corey Perry as an example:
Cool and good.

I love poo poo stirrers.

Corey Perry is not a good example. He’s just a lovely person.

Marchand, Gallagher, Gourde are great at it. The Tchuckle brothers take it too far too often to be good at it.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Brady is an angel!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jhet posted:

I love poo poo stirrers.

Corey Perry is not a good example. He’s just a lovely person.

Yes he's a poo poo person but come on, this makes me laugh every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUW49e-PD4

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Okay, that was funny and I'd forgotten about it. But mostly he falls on the side of things where he's costing his team instead of just being a pest.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Matt Zerella posted:

Yoooooink

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

There's no way Charlie Lindgren is that good, is there?

He's been great but the fact they don't make him 1A is probably somewhat telling how they see things internally.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Penguins have gotten some of the best goaltending in the league the last little while, which combined with continued good health from their ancient stars has gotten them up into, uh... (shuffles papers)... 11th place.

:tif:

going 0-26 on the powerplay in the last stretch might be related to this

Hey hey
ho ho
Todd Reirden has got to go

And honestly, Mike Sullivan too
He's a great coach but the playbook is out and it really doesn't seem like he's gonna find the magic again, like all coaches he refuses to change

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
how does Toronto only have 5 regulation wins? That seems not good! Being 31st in the league at something is probably not good!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Goddamn that would rock

It would probably make their current issues worse, he sucks defensively

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

how does Toronto only have 5 regulation wins? That seems not good! Being 31st in the league at something is probably not good!

- goalies letting in a stinker or two nearly every game
- (brain)dead defensemen
- forwards going on extended cold streaks
- fire Sheldon Keefe

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Precambrian Video Games posted:

- goalies letting in a stinker or two nearly every game
- (brain)dead defensemen
- forwards going on extended cold streaks
- fire Sheldon Keefe

Hire Dean Evason.

I can't see any other option. Turn to Coach Creed. Toronto media will love him.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bring Babcock back

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Honest question: what does N/V mean in these threads? I’ve never known.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

News/views

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Never/Vegas

Or News/Views, take your pick.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ahh, cool. Thank you guys

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

how are the Canucks fans rationalizing this unprecedented success?

Like is the expectation/reality split shattering brains across the community?

Does anybody need to yell about JT Miller's contract to even themselves out

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Canucks fans I know are just enjoying the good times because they know it will balance out at some point (most likely after the holiday break).

Flyers are now only 1 point out of a wild card slot and Im wondering if they are doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think it’s clear the Canucks are better than the middle of the road teams, which has played out in them generally winning those games. That makes sense a core of Petey, Hughes, Miller and Demko is generally better than most non playoff teams cores. They have seemingly improved the depth around them to ‘ok’.

It’s also clear they aren’t in the top tier. Outside of the Dallas game they have been comprehensively dealt with by Vegas, Colorado, Toronto, Tampa etc. I think the Rangers game is the only one against a contender where they didn’t get the win and perhaps should have, everything else has been a bit of a lesson.

It’s seems likely that they will make the playoffs, but also equally likely they they will be outmatched (skill wise yes, but perhaps more experience/tactically) once they get there.

The question then becomes do they have the prospect pipeline/draft capital to reconfirmed cheaply to allow the team to reach that next tier - that seems like a tough ask.

Still though finishing 6th in the west and getting booted from the playoffs is so much better then finishing tenth (with a late season winning streak)