Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Love that my YouTube algorithm is bringing up the right-leaning clickbaiter videos about how Doctor Who is dead when this episode happened and shows that it is just as Doctor Who as loving ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

While this was a good episode, I feel like none of these 60th Anniversary episodes really feel like a 60th Anniversary episode, and just feel like episodes you could have any Doctor and companion in.

Yeah Gimme a multi-doc episode

Gimme 15+14 team up before 14 even regenerates.

Gimme 14 Doctors Team up

Gimme weird wacky poo poo for Anniversaries

These have been 2 Good Eps, but they don't feel like Anniversary eps.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The current right-wing snowflake outrage is currently focused on “RTD casts an actor he’s worked with before in a new project”, because Isaac Newton being played by an Asian actor is “historically inaccurate reeeeeeeee” in a scene where one of the fundamental forces of the universe is renamed to “mavity”.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wild Blue Yonder mp4s (click to view, or don't, I'm not your mother):

https://i.imgur.com/8z08mtj.mp4

This really caught me by surprise and it's honestly kind of baffling that it took RTD to write the Doctor actually having a reaction to the over-the-top destruction of The Flux instead of Chibnall ever doing it with Jodie Whittaker while he had the chance.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No Doctor talking out of his arse clip? :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

No Doctor talking out of his arse clip? :v:

It's in there!

https://imgur.com/pHOzj0M.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

It's in there!

But you left out the best part

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1731170116262384047

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gotta make people watch the actual episode! It's a great episode!

I know we're seeing a carefully curated selection of behind-the-scenes bits but I love how much fun it looks like he and Catherine Tate are having :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had forgotten the Fourth Doctor told Romana he dropped the apple on Newton's head, so I like to imagine he was in the branches very confused by why the TARDIS was sitting in the tree above him and trying not to see or hear too much from his future :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

This really caught me by surprise and it's honestly kind of baffling that it took RTD to write the Doctor actually having a reaction to the over-the-top destruction of The Flux instead of Chibnall ever doing it with Jodie Whittaker while he had the chance.

That was the biggest surprise to me too and I'm really glad they brought it up. I'm guessing they might recreate the missing universe in some way, plenty of ways they could go about it but I like this implication he may have, if not seeded a pocket of new universe that will have ghoulies with old school rules, or just willing into existence some vampires to be dealt with better. Maybe less fishy ones that last time.

Narsham posted:

But what I'm really thinking about is "Wild Blue Yonder." It's a war song. The TARDIS played it at both book-ends of this episode. Was the TARDIS declaring war on these particular not-things? Or more broadly even than that?

haha I kept meaning to look up what that was referencing because I knew it couldn't be the mario n64 level with that same name.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
That was a drat good hour of Doctor Who.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

it was good. the bad looking disney cg is honestly such a good fit for dr who lol. i would have prefered the chibnall stuff just be ignored but i understand that u cant rlly do that. farewell.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Dongicus posted:

it was good. the bad looking disney cg is honestly such a good fit for dr who lol. i would have prefered the chibnall stuff just be ignored but i understand that u cant rlly do that. farewell.

Yeah I just gotta accept it's the cheap cardboard set of the modern age.

So now that it's being referenced, do I need to give in and watch this Timeless Child stuff?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

GigaPeon posted:

Yeah I just gotta accept it's the cheap cardboard set of the modern age.

So now that it's being referenced, do I need to give in and watch this Timeless Child stuff?

i would recommend you dont. its really boring/bad lol. not even in a fun way.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Am I the only one who shouted "Ahh, it made the noise!" when the TARDIS landed at the end and did the classic 80s era landing chime?

loving brilliant. Best console ever.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was a hell of an episode. :discourse:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this was a fun one, good old-fashioned spaceship runaround. Tennant and Tate are just amazing.

E: Actually now I'm wondering if the whole episode exists just because RTD realized he had the two back together and was like "I would like to have an entire episode of just them interacting. We've only got them for three specials, better make the most use of them we can."

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 3, 2023

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I appreciate the references to the previous seasons, RTD didn't have to. But I hope he doesn't feel the need to spend too much time or energy justifying and "fixing" it over just doing his own thing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The cherry on the top of that A+ episode.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 3, 2023

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Mr Beens posted:

I appreciate the references to the previous seasons, RTD didn't have to. But I hope he doesn't feel the need to spend too much time or energy justifying and "fixing" it over just doing his own thing.

I think it's clear he's going to run with the hand he's been dealt but also do his own thing, just like every showrunner has.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

There's a couple of things from Chibnall's run that RTD can wrap up/hook into
- Doctor's grief due to the events of the Flux, which 13 never addressed half the universe being killed - Something that is on the same scale of the Time War which effectively gave 9 major PTSD
- The MacGuffin Timeless Child Fob Watch containing all of the Doctor's 'lost memories', which is now buried inside the Tardis somewhere. A plot hook that technically doesn't ever need to be picked up again by any showrunners
- Cyber Master's and the Doctors rage at having his people cannibalised into infinitely regenerating Cyber-men
- Jo Martin's Fugitive Doctor, and if they want to handwave that away as a parallel universe Doctor or whatever so she can make future appearances
That's pretty much it from 13's run?

We got to see a bit of the grief in the latest ep, as well as a little bit of the Doctor's anxiety over whether or not he actually is truly Gallifreyan.

I'm hoping Gatwa gets to do his own thing in his first season, and I can't wait for the Christmas ep :3:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gee I wonder who's writing he might be referring to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Carbon dioxide posted:

ah, he's been reading my fan fictions

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

egon_beeblebrox posted:

ah, he's been reading my fan fictions

no, just chibnall's fanfictions

Actual post, that was really good. The not-quite-right versions of the characters were amazingly done, Tate and Tennant absolutely smashed it.

Weird that no-one's ever been past the edge of space until the horse got there by accident, I feel like that would be a pretty early trip to make for research/curiosity/just to say you've done it reasons.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

for the first time in years, doctor who is really back. Genuinely giddy

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I had massive reservations about David Tennant coming back but I really like his portrayal of this doctor to the point I think I like it more than his portrayal of the tenth.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah this was a fun one, good old-fashioned spaceship runaround. Tennant and Tate are just amazing.

E: Actually now I'm wondering if the whole episode exists just because RTD realized he had the two back together and was like "I would like to have an entire episode of just them interacting. We've only got them for three specials, better make the most use of them we can."

That was the impression I got. They're here for a limited time and have fantastic chemistry - how do we max this out? A bottle episode with evil clones seemed like an inspired way to have the Doctor and Donna play off each other in different ways.

Agreed with all others that this feels like a return to form. Think I enjoyed that more than any single episode from the Chinball era. I'm happy that Doctor Who has gotten out, to some extent, from under the thumb of BBC. I'll take the worst impulses of Disney over the worst impulses of the UK government.

Someone earlier referenced Quantumania and I think that does a good job summarizing the problems with Chinball Who (or, at least, what I didn't like). Everything and everyone is a means to set up something bigger without giving us a reason to care, there's no tension when you know fundamentally where everything's going, there's no feeling of joy or release when the protagonist overcomes odds, and there's a distracting, overwhelming amount of CGI.

Case in point, I sort of feel a need to rewatch Flux because I genuinely can't recall anything from that series. There was nothing distinct that I cared about or felt like I need to care about for future reference. The moment of the Doctor reacting to the Flux fell flat for me because I forgot about half a universe getting snuffed out.

Did anyone else have trouble hearing what was being said during the episode? Partner said he could only hear about 10% of what was said during the episode. I had a couple of points where things said weren't clear but I chalked that up to two people with accents talking very quickly.

I'd love a figurine of the rusty, slow-moving suicide robot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I was thinking during part of this that if The Star Beast felt like RTD going Full RTD Whimsy, this feels like his really solid attempt at Moffat Horror. Especially, like, Capaldi-era Moffat Horror, really feels like some of Jamie Matheson's scripts. (Who I just found out wrote a book this year, and I wish I could buy it!) I wish that led to me having an idea of how The Giggle could be doing a Chibnall-style episode, but I'm not really 100% sure what kind of episode in his run felt distinctly 'Chibnall' in style, especially in the context of what's clearly a 'contemporary London in chaos' episode, which distinctly wasn't a Chibnall thing, he did that quite rarely.

The best I can think without veering into just being bitter and angry at the overall quality is 'Chibnall Historical'. He had a very particular style of doing historicals most of the time, where the aliens and time travel mostly take up the sidelines while the core story is just a pretty good, broadly accurate period drama; I'm thinking Rosa, Demons of the Punjab, The Witchfinders. In fact, I'd say one of his worst episodes is when he did a historical episode that was mostly about the aliens.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 3, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Anals of History posted:

That was the impression I got. They're here for a limited time and have fantastic chemistry - how do we max this out? A bottle episode with evil clones seemed like an inspired way to have the Doctor and Donna play off each other in different ways.

Agreed with all others that this feels like a return to form. Think I enjoyed that more than any single episode from the Chinball era. I'm happy that Doctor Who has gotten out, to some extent, from under the thumb of BBC. I'll take the worst impulses of Disney over the worst impulses of the UK government.

Someone earlier referenced Quantumania and I think that does a good job summarizing the problems with Chinball Who (or, at least, what I didn't like). Everything and everyone is a means to set up something bigger without giving us a reason to care, there's no tension when you know fundamentally where everything's going, there's no feeling of joy or release when the protagonist overcomes odds, and there's a distracting, overwhelming amount of CGI.

Case in point, I sort of feel a need to rewatch Flux because I genuinely can't recall anything from that series. There was nothing distinct that I cared about or felt like I need to care about for future reference. The moment of the Doctor reacting to the Flux fell flat for me because I forgot about half a universe getting snuffed out.

Did anyone else have trouble hearing what was being said during the episode? Partner said he could only hear about 10% of what was said during the episode. I had a couple of points where things said weren't clear but I chalked that up to two people with accents talking very quickly.

I'd love a figurine of the rusty, slow-moving suicide robot.

lol chinball

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://them0vieblog.com/2023/12/02/doctor-who-wild-blue-yonder-review/

Great and really insightful review of the last episode. His Star Beast review is good too.

Also, does that Newton cold-open count as the first pure historical since the 60s?

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 3, 2023

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

God, I love when Doctor Who does a high-concept bottle episode and knocks it out of the park. Maybe not quite touching the lofty heights of Midnight and Heaven Sent, but the overall sensation of “we are so loving back, baby” made that a very special episode.

Give me an hour of Tate and Tennant bouncing off each other and I will have a massive grin on my face the whole time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RTD release the Shaved Meep Cut you coward!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRuqFceddfU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

GigaPeon posted:

I suspect the next season will do a far better job to explain the Timeless Child stuff to the audience, than watching the actual Timeless Child stuff would

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Tbh I doubt it- this is how he writes about writing in his book, A Writer's Tale.

Which ends with him completely burnt out with writing Who and happily moving to the US for fame and fortune.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Finally got to the episode after missing it live, and I have thoughts!

- The Mavity thing does not land for me at all. Isaac Newton is a fantastic historical figure who did a lot of really interesting/important stuff (and wasnt always a particularly nice man) but as far as I know he didnt come up with the word gravity. He wrote in Latin, and used the word Gravitas, which was Latin for Weight. I'm actually not entirely against ignoring accuracy in service of a good joke, but for me mavity isnt a good enough joke.

- I'm like 80% sure that Tennant was fiddling with a casio keyboard in that scene, with the hose from a shower shoved in the back of it.

- We love Slowbot.

- I know a horror episode needs some build but I thought the first quarter of this (post-newton and pre-my arms are too long) dragged a bit. Not helped that for a while I thought they'd just made a poor editing choice in cutting between things happening in different rooms at different times, but that may be on me. I'm a lil hung over and I'll give it another watch later.

- That is a lot of CGI. Like a whole bunch.

- Enjoyed pretty much everything after that, the body horror, the existential horror, the character stuff. This is what I am here for.

- The actual physical threat of the doubles did seem to peak at about three quarters of the way through the episode, after this point it turns out if doubledonna grabbed regular donna... it was basically fine and regular donna could fight her off without too much trouble.

- Slowbot saves the universe, our hero. In fact if the Tardis hadnt crashed into the ship the universe wouldnt actually have been in danger, Slowbot would have eventually saved us all and we wouldnt even know it.

- Wilf! I got a little tear in my eye last week when Tennant thought Wilf was dead and talked about him, but then after the episode I found out Cribbins had filmed a scene for the specials so knew this was coming. Was still really nice to see. Deciding that Wilf from that one Xmas special was in fact Donnas Grandad will always stand as one of the great decisions of modern Who for me.

Anals of History posted:

A little through the middle portion, yeah! When one pair was at the honeycomb computer and the other were tapping pipes I felt the sound mix wasnt great and wished I'd put the subtitles on. And I'm pretty sure it wasnt the accents on account of me being scottish so these characters dont have unusual accents to me.

Hollismason posted:

So is this the thread for the old Doctor Who episodes because I recently subscribed to Britbox to get the old Doctor Who series so I started watching the original Doctor Who season 1 and it was really decent.

Its the thread for any and all Doctor Who, yeah. Its just right this second we're all more or less focussed on the new episode from last night. But in general, if you have Doctor Who thoughts, this is the thread for them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RTD posted on his instagram that the final scene was the only scene Bernard Cribbens shot. So he won't be in the final special. :(

He also revealed that when he asked Cribbens to make an appearance, Cribbens' response was "I'm going to need to see the script."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought they’d shot other scenes with him based on some of the set pics :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

RTD posted on his instagram that the final scene was the only scene Bernard Cribbens shot. So he won't be in the final special. :(

He also revealed that when he asked Cribbens to make an appearance, Cribbens' response was "I'm going to need to see the script."

:(

If anyone wants his last full episode performance as Wilf instead of this nice cameo, though, the third Tennant box set that Big Finish released has a story called "No Place" that he's in quite a bit. Also, it's currently discounted because they know how to time these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

- The actual physical threat of the doubles did seem to peak at about three quarters of the way through the episode, after this point it turns out if doubledonna grabbed regular donna... it was basically fine and regular donna could fight her off without too much trouble.

The Doctor did mention after they had the blast shield between them that earlier they could have torn it off but the more they became like them the less they could adapt their bodies. When the Other Doctor is hoofing it to stop the explosion and can see the Doctor catching up to him he gives up trying to perfect being the Doctor because there is no point in tricking the TARDIS to come back if his body has been destroyed (and if the Doctor's is too, it loses all that intimate understanding of the knowledge it gained) and becomes that thing instead.

Presumably the Other Donna was still hoping to trick the TARDIS and catch a ride and left herself limited to mostly just an exact physical copy of Donna, and her gambit almost paid off until the Doctor dumped her out and grabbed the real Donna. At that point there was nothing she could do, and now they're both (if they are even individual) just formless nothings of utterly unfathomable otherness in the dark nothing beyond eternity, fuming and seething and desperately wanting to be in the universe to "play".

Incredible monsters, utterly terrifying.