Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the game should be more transparent about how playdates work, since I had to look up how to do anything other than playing whack-a-mole or that other arcade game with them.

Specifically the bench and table in the restaurant - how are you supposed to know those are a thing? Is there maybe a quest I haven't triggered yet that explains that?

Also - when people show up to your house in the morning asking about doing a playdate, is there any "bonus" to doing it with them? Or is it just the game reminding you that playdates are a thing?

edit: It also seems like a playdate is maybe a way to get a third stamina refresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the game should be more transparent about how playdates work, since I had to look up how to do anything other than playing whack-a-mole or that other arcade game with them.

Specifically the bench and table in the restaurant - how are you supposed to know those are a thing? Is there maybe a quest I haven't triggered yet that explains that?

Also - when people show up to your house in the morning asking about doing a playdate, is there any "bonus" to doing it with them? Or is it just the game reminding you that playdates are a thing?

edit: It also seems like a playdate is maybe a way to get a third stamina refresh?

you do playdates so you can hang out with your fave NPC... or drag Pen around so he can murder mobs for you. I guess you missed the tutorial mission where Elsie dragged you and Mi-an to a bunch of playdate locations

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

If you open your map while on a playdate there are red icons on the map that show you things you can do.

As the game progresses there will be more options vaialable but there still isn't a lot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

They all show up on the map with their own icons when you're on a date. A couple of quests send you out on a playdate and just seeing the icon on the minimap when you approached one was how I figured this out personally.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
One thing I've noticed is the commission inspections are WAY harder than the last game. Some of the differences are just a small smudge my old eyes have trouble seeing

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LegoMan posted:

One thing I've noticed is the commission inspections are WAY harder than the last game. Some of the differences are just a small smudge my old eyes have trouble seeing

I dunno, I remember high-level inspections in Portia being equally bullshit.

You can completely skip them, if you want. The rewards are trivial and as long as you actually do your daily commissions you're guaranteed the first spot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Ytlaya posted:

In the beginning of the game Elsie takes you and MI-An out for games and lunch, this is kinda a tutorial for play dates. That's how you know you can take people to eat and chat at that particular table in the Blue Moon. Once you build the telescope for Qi you can also go stargazing at night but I found the mini game to be kinda difficult.

Taking people out for a meal has a chance to give bonus social energy so you can do more actions. I assume everyone has their own preferred activity as the meter goes up at different rates for different actions for each person.

Doing both hang by the oasis and eat at blue moon gives options to give additional gifts, so in theory you can take someone out on their birthday and give them 3x loved gifts in one day and get a 3x friendship bonus for it

Once you get the banquet table though you can host parties (up to 2x a week with the right talent point) which is less work, by midgame you can easily afford the most blinged out party, invite 10x townspeople and get like +24 friendship while doing fuckall the day of the party as they just eat the pre prepared food and ooh and ah at your white trash palace of a front yard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LegoMan posted:

Don't hesitate to use a magnifying glass if it's one of the sneaky ones. If it's gone on for more than like 25 seconds just jam one.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ytlaya posted:

look at the map while on a date

see the red icons

those are date activities

have fun

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Khanstant posted:

Don't hesitate to use a magnifying glass if it's one of the sneaky ones. If it's gone on for more than like 25 seconds just jam one.

The glasses are also absurdly cheap past a certain point. There's a pattern to which spots show up too, and there are some objects (like the green cabinet and the milk crate) that I jam a guess on a specific spot because there's actually no difference between it being correct or broken, so it's worth just checking.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Some of them are really hard to see. They're very clever in that often you have to hold thr object at a very specific angle to notice, other times the defect is this VERY FAINT scuff mark you'd never notice otherwise.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

:mad:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Some of them are really hard to see. They're very clever in that often you have to hold thr object at a very specific angle to notice, other times the defect is this VERY FAINT scuff mark you'd never notice otherwise.

Some of them I think are just straight up bugged. The two objects I mentioned never have a visible defect in those locations at all, and the egg and frog have similar issues with the gems and the eye where nothing untoward shows up under the closest scrutiny, and yet there is a defect there anyway.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Dirk the Average posted:

Some of them I think are just straight up bugged. The two objects I mentioned never have a visible defect in those locations at all, and the egg and frog have similar issues with the gems and the eye where nothing untoward shows up under the closest scrutiny, and yet there is a defect there anyway.

The fox mask and the milk crate are also prone to completely invisible flaws. I'm guessing the issue is it's placing the smudge mark on the inside of the model.

Edit: oops milk crate was already mentioned

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I looked for so many ways to name my mounts and it won't let me dammit!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Sydin posted:

I looked for so many ways to name my mounts and it won't let me dammit!

Wait, you can rename the town animals but you can't rename mounts? I wonder if that item works on the mounts but I assume you've tried that already.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

You can totally rename mounts. Mine's called Mistral.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It's done through the stable interface. Which is a little counter-intuitive given that there are objects that let you rename pets.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finished the game, and through what is apparently an amazing coincidence both the final party and my now-spouse's proposal happened on the same day, which is also my builder's birthday.
Everything's coming up Milhouse Builder!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The funniest part of inspection is taking off marks for scuffs and dings, but no, not those ones, those are integral parts of sandrockian product design.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think Mi-an is probably one of my favorite characters I’ve ever experienced in any “cozy” game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Post-Zeke&Mi-an quest sort-of spoilers

So the "geeglers" are supposed to be Google survivors?
It's a decent joke, but I wonder why the devs are mad at Google specifically when there are so many other companies to choose from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were created there and somehow learned the corporate culture as the basis for their society. it's not very complicated.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah late/endgame spoilers for what I think is the last dungeon you actually do in the main quest: they're the result of a science experiment trying to create new species to be used as slave labor who survived the Age of Darkness by feeding off the algae machines left behind in the labs. The reason most of them are huge assholes and were trying to destroy Sandrock was because they based their society off the "Holy Book", which was an incomplete copy of the mad scientist company's employee handbook that has a bunch of aggressive language in it about destroying everybody else until the Geeglers are on top. Except later it turns out the complete version of the book adds that this was meant in the context of crushing other competing corporations and becoming a monopoly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

You can totally rename mounts. Mine's called Mistral.

Mine's Roach because she constantly gets stuck on world geometry.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I think Mi-an is probably one of my favorite characters I’ve ever experienced in any “cozy” game.

Having a character that acts like they're also a player by sprinting everywhere 24/7 and never standing still is very funny.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
One of the songs in the game has a violin playing over a short chunk of a chord progression that I swear is the same one used in the song Tiden Flyver by Boom Clap Bachelors. I’d guess most people don’t know the song, but may know the song that heavily samples it.

So while I’m playing, once in a while I notice the background music is a quick few bars of a Muzak version of Kendrick Lamar's Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Having a character that acts like they're also a player by sprinting everywhere 24/7 and never standing still is very funny.

Yeah, except her factory is :mediocre: at best. I do wish I could build her a proper factory at some point, or at least get her something beyond the crappy tier 1 workplaces she has outside.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, except her factory is :mediocre: at best. I do wish I could build her a proper factory at some point, or at least get her something beyond the crappy tier 1 workplaces she has outside.

Make her move into your workshop for greater efficiency.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Does she use your machines if she moves in? That would be a good touch

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Talorat posted:

Does she use your machines if she moves in? That would be a good touch

Your spouse can act as a helper (there's also a dedicated NPC helper that unlocks later that you can hire, similar to Ack in Portia). Different spouses do different things, with Venti doing pretty much everything and having the most points towards helping out. Mi-an will do machine related stuff (unload products, add fuel, add water, dust) and some animal related stuff. A lot of folks will do very little, like Ernest, Fang, and Pablo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I couldn't decide whom I wanted to romance but then Venti asked me out and it turns out that her breaking scrap with me extremely suspiciously in the middle of the night was her clumsy attempt at flirting and I couldn't say no to the awkward trash goblin.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I liked romancing lots of them at once especially After the Goat mission as any romantic partners have special dialog lines so every other person was like :qq: "I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD MY LIFE WOULD BE MEANINGLESS WITHOUT YOU HERE" which is a fun little ego boost.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jack Trades posted:

I just really really like her personality. She’s so just genuine and nice and fun and it just makes me want to be her friend in a way I don’t feel towards other characters.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
She's cool and I appreciate that she makes crazy people online very mad because they think she's a pick me

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

She's cool and I appreciate that she makes crazy people online very mad because they think she's a pick me

Rofl. Fuckin really?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What the hell is a "pick me"?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

What the hell is a "pick me"?

IIRC it's the "I'm not like the other girls" stereotype.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mi-an claims to be busy all the time...but I found her casually reading a book at 3:30pm on a weekday! That's why I'm #1, Mi-an.

I found the first actual threatening fight I've encountered against some large bird in the desert to the West/Northwest. Did a ton of damage when it hit me. It gave me a ton of relics and like 10 Chromium Bars, which is very good at my current point since I don't have any other obvious ways to get them. Also fought some kangaroo guy who was kind of creepy because he could sorta communicate with you, but not really. I think he's supposed to come off as funny, but he seemed more creepy to me. Like something that appears sapient but is actually just acting on instinct.

I also came across Cooper and Hugo performing a song, with Cooper seemingly doing the singing. It was extremely funny because I'm using the Chinese dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

IIRC it's the "I'm not like the other girls" stereotype.

What. Like I get the stereotype but how do you get that from Mi-An?