Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

love it. super satisfying

this has a great vibe. its crazy how you look at your own photography so differently to other peoples - i would have edited it so differently but love how you did it, i find green really hard to get right and you nailed it.

man, thank you so much for the kind words! I really love the colours on this one.

Insane framing on these! how much thought do you put into it when you're taking the shots vs editing them? i still find myself spraying and praying way too much to get shots this intentional. Personally, I've no issue with the tree on the side, I think bottom liner's second edit is cool but also messes with the nice ratios you had in the original.

I like this one the most out of the three you posted! Are these from an older digicam or something?

I'm going crazy trying to edit a couple hundred photos at the same time rn, any advice for staying objective except taking a break for a while? lol

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Megabound, that's so beautiful, drat.

And re my post: Not an older digicam, they're 16:9 crops of a 35mm scan of kentmere 400 film shot on a minolta xg-m with an early 80s 50mm lens.

majour333 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 26, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

field balm posted:

Insane framing on these! how much thought do you put into it when you're taking the shots vs editing them? i still find myself spraying and praying way too much to get shots this intentional. Personally, I've no issue with the tree on the side, I think bottom liner's second edit is cool but also messes with the nice ratios you had in the original.

The waterfall one I did put my camera in a dangerous position (holding it out over a big drop), but for the most part it's definitely the editing. I look for patterns and think about the angle I am shooting at, so I know I am catching something interesting but usually it isn't until I sit down at my computer that I really start analyzing the frame in tons of detail. I focus on taking as many pictures as I can while I am out, because I consider what I capture in camera to be the starting place for my images. I do a lot of editing to find something in the image that really connects with me.

Here is the original. It's not a good photograph. I cropped in obviously, but then I also used Lightroom's Transform tools to get the building on the left to have a uniform angle to the viewer

field balm posted:

I'm going crazy trying to edit a couple hundred photos at the same time rn, any advice for staying objective except taking a break for a while? lol

What do you use to edit? I use Lightroom and I find it is definitely helpful to edit one photo, and then use the Copy/Paste settings on other similar photos. Even if I have to then tweak the other ones, it does save time.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a fine sleeping tree pic but the bird really tops it off.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

xzzy posted:

That's a fine sleeping tree pic but the bird really tops it off.

I saw that bird while getting groceries with my sister and law and instantly knew I had to get the shot.

I didn't even know there was a lil birb in the other photo until I got back and started editing. Makes me wish I had my telephoto!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
School by B. B., on Flickr

Building by B. B., on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

just had a 50mm, leaned into it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This one is so weirdly captivating and pleasing to look at. Something about the colors and lighting elevates what is otherwise a very plain subject. The brightness of the white wall on top juxtaposed with the darkly colored, shadowed wall at bottom is really an effective use of contrast. I'm going to keep an eye out for something I can find that is lit and shadowed in the same way with a hard line between

I like this one a lot

Here are some blurry landscapes

R0000672 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0000732 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope you all like rocks because that's basically all there is at Pinnacles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
luv rocks

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope you all like rocks because that's basically all there is at Pinnacles.

SO good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah they rock

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The people have spoken. Have more rocks.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

GrandpaPants posted:

God yes more rocks

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Stop holding out on us. I know you have more rocks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

TomR posted:

Stop holding out on us. I know you have more rocks.

I think there might some hiding out in the very dark spots...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My rocks aren't as rad but I took this back in the summer and it feels on topic now.

Perhaps the secret is to crush the blacks??

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

My rocks aren't as rad but I took this back in the summer and it feels on topic now.

ooooh i like this a lot

i wish there were rocks in indiana

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

xzzy posted:

gaddamn those are some nice rocks

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Rockin

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

rock

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Landscape Thread: Rock Out With Your Rocks Out

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Lake-20231130-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Wet rocks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Very lovely color and light, but needs to be cropped in to remove distracting elements at the edge of the frame and to have less empty space at the bottom and left

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

first time posting in this thread. i got myself a "nice"(?) camera about 2 years ago and a new lens for black friday. i've always loved taking photos with just my phone and have always thought about upgrading to a real camera and learning how to properly edit.

go easy on me (or don't, i need to learn!) :)

the contrast and saturation are probably a bit too high here, but it was my first time messing around in lightroom and i think it looks kinda neat. lmk if i overdid it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ben Nevis, clouds were covering so much of its height, nature tricked me. I couldn't walk for 2 days after.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

first time posting in this thread. i got myself a "nice"(?) camera about 2 years ago and a new lens for black friday. i've always loved taking photos with just my phone and have always thought about upgrading to a real camera and learning how to properly edit.

go easy on me (or don't, i need to learn!) :)

the contrast and saturation are probably a bit too high here, but it was my first time messing around in lightroom and i think it looks kinda neat. lmk if i overdid it.

i like it

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mega Comrade posted:

Ben Nevis, clouds were covering so much of its height, nature tricked me. I couldn't walk for 2 days after.

Can I suggest you make it square

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

:shobon:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I am very slowly and carefully dipping my toe into doing landscapes. Been shooting birds and other stuff for a long time but I've always dreaded landscape photography, Went to a workshop a few weeks ago with the intention of figuring out how to shoot wide angle properly, but the first thing the workshop leader said was to just not feel like you need to especially in the landscapes around here that often benefit from a tighter composition. I ended up shooting the whole weekend with a 24-120 and 200 prime. All my favorite shots were at 70mm and up, so ended up ordering a lightly used 70-200/4 Nikkor when I got back.

I still can't do wide angle. On rare occasion I might be able to get an ok shot at 20-21mm but I can count those on one hand's fingers.

Loved the area we were in though, lots of pine trees and rocks and small lakes. The second pic does not have jpeg artifacting in the background; it's actually ice on a lake. Not sure if I should just smooth it out in post -- opinions?

Tiveden by Christer M, on Flickr

Tiveden #2 by Christer M, on Flickr

Tiveden #3 by Christer M, on Flickr

Tiveden #4 by Christer M, on Flickr

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Can I suggest you make it square

Better?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wide angle landscapes are super overrated, it's something you'll want to be able to do if the situation comes up but most of my personal favorite shots are above 50mm.

Wide angle requires a really compelling foreground because the distant scenery will shrink down so much and that doesn't happen all that often.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Wide angle landscapes are super overrated, it's something you'll want to be able to do if the situation comes up but most of my personal favorite shots are above 50mm.

Wide angle requires a really compelling foreground because the distant scenery will shrink down so much and that doesn't happen all that often.

I agree. It wasn’t until I started learning photography that I finally understood why my phone pictures of mountains always sucked. The wide focal length makes them too small

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Gonna have to disagree. The shorter focal lengths just require you to zoom with your feet and be an active participant.

21 mm:

28 mm:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

those are all incredible, true! some of the best I have seen in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I've been trying to get back to taking photos