Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i would simply pay my tithe and collect my indulgence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i have a lot of house plants, plus the plants around my house, suckin up the carbons

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

As a major emitter of methane I just have to say that the left is starting to go too far

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

i convert garbage to fertilizer so I'm doing my part

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i rinse off my car batteries before tossing them into the ocean

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I murder the planet for money and spend that money on murdering the planet

kater
Nov 16, 2010

there has to be a better word than exponential growth for ticks that only need two generations to be at 4 million

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

kater posted:

there has to be a better word than exponential growth for ticks that only need two generations to be at 4 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_exponential_function and there's a couple other options listed in that article too

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

blatman posted:

i rinse off my car batteries before tossing them into the ocean

WRONG. where do you think that water goes?? that's right, the ocean. you should wipe them off with paper towels and then put those in a plastic bag and Dispose of the bag Properly before hucking the car battery directly on top of a coral reef

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the more mass we add to the ocean, the more heat it can absorb. idiot. engage your brain

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the biggest iceberg in the world is just floating away into the ocean and you're MAKING JOKES?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm gonna go build a house on that iceberg and then show up at COP 29 and demand they pay me for my house which they so inconsiderately are ruining with their greenhouses and gases

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SixteenShells posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_exponential_function and there's a couple other options listed in that article too
Woow! Double exponential, all the way across the planet! What does this mean?

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Delta-Wye posted:

i would simply pay my tithe and collect my indulgence

kater
Nov 16, 2010

if you own an iceberg and it starts floating away do you own the sea below it?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
More ice in the ocean is good. Cool that poo poo down

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

kater posted:

the answer depends on how much shareholder value you create

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

kater posted:

you own the seabed below wherever the iceberg is

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Winter is here.

The sun is shining.

COP28 is proceeding along as scheduled.

Everything's fine.

:blessed:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its still 20 days until winter so 70 degrees is ok

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Joke's on the ticks, I don't go outside

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

its still 20 days until winter so 70 degrees is ok

please stop correcting me on the date I will cry

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

my partner is a detective who puts away child predators. I’m not talking about alleged child predators, I’m talking about hard evidence stuff. they have like one of the only jobs that I think is legit in law enforcement , and they agree.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

LionArcher posted:

my partner is a detective who puts away child predators. I’m not talking about alleged child predators, I’m talking about hard evidence stuff. they have like one of the only jobs that I think is legit in law enforcement , and they agree.

so how many of their fellow officers have they put away for being diddlers?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hi I've been absent but I just wanted to pop in to give a hearty LOL and LMAO about cope 28

Cop28 president says there is ‘no science’ behind demands for phase-out of fossil fuels
Exclusive: UAE’s Sultan Al Jaber says phase-out of coal, oil and gas would take world ‘back into caves’

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
"It's time son. Hand me the words of power"

A young man passes his weathered father a handful of crumpled papers

"Will it work father?"

"It must my son."

he stares over their crops, ravaged by drought and disease, trembling fingers clutching the aged excel sheets and powerpoints. With a dry cough he clears some of the choking dust from his throat, and begins to read

"Electric vehicles! Carbon credits!"

The wind howls, he blinks continuously as blinding sand crusts around his squinting eyes

"Investments in renewables and green startups! Transitioning over 30 years, starting next decade!"

The wind roars. The skies darken as the rain gathers above. Their eyes well with tears of relief, and he continues yelling - but the dollar amounts and offset figures cannot be heard above the fury of the sudden storm. The sky opens and the rain pours down as they rejoice.

But wait, it's far too much! Almost before they realize it they are swept away in a great deluge that clears the last of their arable land down to ledge. A final bitter revelation escapes the father just before he is overcome by the retribution of an enraged planet

"We... forgot to mention... the climate capture plant!"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This tracks, cavemen understand the utility of rocks that get hot enough to boil water

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
problem solved https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20231130-can-humans-live-underwater

quote:

Rob Colley, ex-military elite diver and yoga teacher, now heads up the company's training and human performance division. One element of Colley's work is "breath hold training".

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think the theoretical concept of using seafloor colonizing as a test run for space is sound

There's some good tips in there for autoerotic asphyxiation fanatics

OK I'm out of nice things to say about it now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Revenge of Dr Dome

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

A sea colony would seem to be a better option to wait out any catastrophe on the surface than going to another planet altogether.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

The president of Cop28, Sultan Al Jaber, has claimed there is “no science” indicating that a phase-out of fossil fuels is needed to restrict global heating to 1.5C, the Guardian and the Centre for Climate Reporting can reveal.
He's right. Phasing out fossil fuels is likely to put the world well above 2C due to the loss of aerosol masking, making restriction of global heating to 1.5C scientifically impossible now. Clearly this is proof of the horseshoe theory in action, the left and the fascists both coming to the same conclusion.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
six degrees of kelvin, baked-in

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dokapon Findom posted:

A sea colony would seem to be a better option to wait out any catastrophe on the surface than going to another planet altogether.

It would become an instant nightmare hell because it wouldn't be run by anyone decent

Also you'd be trapped down there forever, even assuming there's some thermocline compatible with humans it's gonna have to last a million years.

Basically these billionaire bunkers are the same thing as morlocks, right? The sea dome is just that but underwater which makes it harder to maintain? (Didn't read the article tbh)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OIL PANIC posted:

six degrees of kelvin, baked-in

six degrees of heckin' bakin'

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
why would you build on the seafloor when the ocean surface is right there

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Dokapon Findom posted:

uh oh, looks like someone didn't read this book

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

You'd be amazed at the books I haven't read

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

load up cruise ships with the burrowing lizards/birds and drive em to antarctica

e: also rebury all fossils/artifacts back where they were taken from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Dokapon Findom posted:

You'd be amazed at the books I haven't read