Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I've specifically noticed Marijuana seems to turn off dreams or at least stop me from remembering them. This has been anecdotally confirmed by a few other people who stopped smoking for a time and noticed dreams becoming more vivid and common. I don't know if there's any studies or science on this, but there's gotta be a correlation.

Have fun being drug tested for the luxury of being put to work in your dreams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BRJurgis posted:

I've specifically noticed Marijuana seems to turn off dreams or at least stop me from remembering them. This has been anecdotally confirmed by a few other people who stopped smoking for a time and noticed dreams becoming more vivid and common. I don't know if there's any studies or science on this, but there's gotta be a correlation.

Cannabis actually reduces the length of REM sleep so you just aren't dreaming as much, but you also remember them less.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BRJurgis posted:

Same for me

edit: it seem to happen to people who smoke every day, like me

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I literally don’t remember the last time I had a dream or what it was. I just close my eyes at night and next thing I know it’s like 5-7am.

How much weed do you smoke?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think I'm the exception when it comes to text in dreams, because it'll be there to varying degrees. It's been a long time since I've had some text I could actually read and remember, but more often there will be readable text but only for a moment before it melts away or something.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Generally cannabis and other 'sleep aids' trade the ability to sleep for worse sleep quality, and REM sleep is sensitive to disruption

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Having quit cannabis last week, I can confirm that dreams are loving weird after not having them for a year or two.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh. When I take melatonin, I am high fiving the grays while reading off highway exits from my car that really needs new brake pads.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

exmachina posted:

How much weed do you smoke?

Same poo poo happens to me, and has my entire life. And I haven't smoked weed in 20 years nor was I a heavy weed smoker.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Clarste posted:

It's a super common dream, which probably says something about our society.

I do not think that it suggests that a Billy Madison scenario is, in fact, a real possibility for me. I am not concerned that high school decided that due to a clerical error, I did not actually complete some class or another, which means that my college should not have accepted me, which invalidates my degree, which then somehow invalidates the entire chain of career experience history, and the only remedy is to retake algebra 2 in a regular high school class with regular high school students, who actually comment in the dream on how weird it is that I'm there or whatever the hell.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If you haven't already, share your dreams about being forced to repeat high school or being unable to read the messages from the love of your life here.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Volmarias posted:

I do not think that it suggests that a Billy Madison scenario is, in fact, a real possibility for me. I am not concerned that high school decided that due to a clerical error, I did not actually complete some class or another, which means that my college should not have accepted me, which invalidates my degree, which then somehow invalidates the entire chain of career experience history, and the only remedy is to retake algebra 2 in a regular high school class with regular high school students, who actually comment in the dream on how weird it is that I'm there or whatever the hell.
It’s less about it being a real possibility for you and more that how common the dream is suggests a lot of people ended up with fairly deep-rooted trauma or insecurity from school. I say that as someone who semi-regularly dreams about having to learn vocab for a language-based A level that’s happening in [insert rapidly-decreasing dreamlike time interval here], so I’m not trying to throw shade or anything.

(I never took a language-based A level, but I think the amount of intensive rote memorisation needed for GCSEs left a mark or two and that’s as someone who was good at it.)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Same poo poo happens to me, and has my entire life. And I haven't smoked weed in 20 years nor was I a heavy weed smoker.

When I stop smoking weed I get super intense dreams like I did before I started.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

exmachina posted:

When I stop smoking weed I get super intense dreams like I did before I started.

Mine mostly involve me splitting the world in twain, in a cacophony of flame and ancient dark magiks.

Probably better if I just not dream, you know, for the good of humanity.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
When the dreams became me flying a battle cruiser from StarCraft 2 around, I knew it was time to start smoking weed again.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Nervous posted:

When the dreams became me flying a battle cruiser from StarCraft 2 around, I knew it was time to start smoking weed again.

I would've had the exact opposite reaction. Commencing Bombardment!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I only ever remember two types of dreams:

1) "I need to read this thing but I can't. gently caress, that means I'm sleeping" and then I wake up
2) "Why can't I stop peeing".

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
If you lot want to get some better resolution in your dreams, just go and get yourself a prescription for Lamotrigin (epilepsy meds).

Turns that boring 14 inch CRT into a 65 inch 4k HD plasma tv or whatever the newfangled tv bling is called.

May or may not include horrendous nightmares.
Other side effects may apply.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Neito posted:

I only ever remember two types of dreams:

1) "I need to read this thing but I can't. gently caress, that means I'm sleeping" and then I wake up
2) "Why can't I stop peeing".

Tech Nightmares 6: Why can't I stop peeing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SerthVarnee posted:

If you lot want to get some better resolution in your dreams, just go and get yourself a prescription for Lamotrigin (epilepsy meds).

Turns that boring 14 inch CRT into a 65 inch 4k HD plasma tv or whatever the newfangled tv bling is called.

I take it as a mood stabilizer and I wish this was my experience with it

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Professor Beetus posted:

I take it as a mood stabilizer and I wish this was my experience with it

I'll trade you all the nightmares and seriously disturbing "normal" dreams you want.

First night with the new pills and my NON NIGHTMARE is a full length feature film about my brother's wife and children having been buried alive by the Triad, my brother barely escaping the same fate through paying off a massive bribe and now driving along with us quite casually on a road trip to get ketchup for a couple of hot dogs, oh and also to get another 10,000$ so they'll dig up his family again before they suffocate.
Brother is just completely deadpan about this and talking like it's just a trip to the shopping center.
Just as I realize that I'm driving with a very very very mentally broken husk of my former brother, I wake up. All of this in 4k HD.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nervous posted:

Now we know why those unfortunate Terrans in that broodwar cinematic never got their air support.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SerthVarnee posted:

I'll trade you all the nightmares and seriously disturbing "normal" dreams you want.

First night with the new pills and my NON NIGHTMARE is a full length feature film about my brother's wife and children having been buried alive by the Triad, my brother barely escaping the same fate through paying off a massive bribe and now driving along with us quite casually on a road trip to get ketchup for a couple of hot dogs, oh and also to get another 10,000$ so they'll dig up his family again before they suffocate.
Brother is just completely deadpan about this and talking like it's just a trip to the shopping center.
Just as I realize that I'm driving with a very very very mentally broken husk of my former brother, I wake up. All of this in 4k HD.

So, how's your family?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Volmarias posted:

So, how's your family?

Fortunately they are doing well.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

SerthVarnee posted:

Fortunately they are doing well.

Triad guy better hope his boss ain't got :10bux:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Xand_Man posted:

Generally cannabis and other 'sleep aids' trade the ability to sleep for worse sleep quality, and REM sleep is sensitive to disruption

I was concerned about this but I had such terrible insomnia before cannabis became legal here that I was getting pretty poo poo quality sleep already :v:. I take a tiny CBN pill (5mg) four hours before going to bed, sleep like a log, and still have dreams. My Garmin watch reports fairly long REM periods, however accurate that may be. If I take 10mg instead of 5mg I sleep worse, both subjectively and as measured by the watch. But alcohol BY FAR fucks up my sleep the most. I can have a single beer, not even feel buzzed, feel subjectively like I slept well, and my watch will be like "wtf did you do? you are dying" in the morning. It's pretty dramatic.

The dreams I have on CBN are pretty normal and quirky at worst, but if I DON'T take the CBN I have some hosed up nightmares, so it's definitely affecting things...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well Google is rolling out their "totally an AGI but we're not using that term or calling it that but totally framing it as a real thinking and intelligent piece of software" product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TVnM9dmUSk

It's going to suck having to hear about this from every manager and boss telling us to find a way to use it or if we can eliminate people.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Their marketing team knows the deal. You can't say the false thing, but you can imply it and let the customer assume.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Mega Comrade posted:

Their marketing team knows the deal. You can't say the false thing, but you can imply it and let the customer assume.

like Tesla Autopilot*

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s not AGI; it’s not even much better than GPT-4. Their main brag is that their model processes different media types — video, text, pictures — in a native way, rather than OpenAI’s approach of building a model for each media type and stapling them together. The output is surely better, but not in a paradigmatic way, imo.

Maybe we’re close, maybe we’re not, but it isn’t AGI and I don’t think Google is trying to imply it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Vegetable posted:

It’s not AGI; it’s not even much better than GPT-4. Their main brag is that their model processes different media types — video, text, pictures — in a native way, rather than OpenAI’s approach of building a model for each media type and stapling them together. The output is surely better, but not in a paradigmatic way, imo.

Maybe we’re close, maybe we’re not, but it isn’t AGI and I don’t think Google is trying to imply it.

EEehhhhh, I think they are in some of their branding for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIZAiXYceBI&t=44s

In this video they play up the idea of conversing with the tool as if it were intelligent in some fashion. Linked to the time stamp where the presenter just starts talking with the tool as if it were a real conversation.

It's obviously not AGI, but of course they want to sell it to people who want that, so they'll play that up.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Remember when Peter Molyneaux told us he created AGI for a loving Kinect game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

Simpler times

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Isn’t “tool converses with you” already the base feature in both ChatGPT and Bard? I think you’re influenced by the quickness of the response and by the fact that it’s vocalized.

The radical thing they’re trying to show here is that the model will fuse hugely diverse stimuli together to provide a blended response. Like, it’s supposed to be super impressive that the model can explain your live hand actions (video and motion) with some authoritative knowledge (presumably textual) and use them to generate a game (touch and image). My assumption is they think GPT-4 would struggle to amalgamate modally different sources in the same way.

I’ll agree that marketing is trying to make the model seem livelike and it probably works. But I sure as hell can imagine someone taking that duck convo a different direction and my guess is Gemini can easily be made to seem very dumb, like existing AI models.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SerthVarnee posted:

I can cope with Lamotrigine but the beta blocker I tried made me wake up screaming every night.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lamotrigine didn't have any effect on my sleep or dreams but if you want to sleep for 18 hours straight with the most horrific and vivid nightmares, try Seroquel/Quetiapine (also I gained 30 pounds on it)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if my dream resolution is fine but but i have othe rissues like fps, screen tearing or shaders not loading?

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dreaming With The Sliders UP.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

PhazonLink posted:

what if my dream resolution is fine but but i have othe rissues like fps, screen tearing or shaders not loading?

Have you tried installing the latest drivers?

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Lamotrigine didn't have any effect on my sleep or dreams but if you want to sleep for 18 hours straight with the most horrific and vivid nightmares, try Seroquel/Quetiapine (also I gained 30 pounds on it)

In my case, the one time I took Seroquel I was sleepy *and* hyper aware of every touch/sound for a few hours. Every sound or the slightest touch was enough to startle me back awake. Then I slept for an additional 15 hours. Absolutely nightmarish experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lol yeah I had my one and only experience with a night terror and sleep walking due to an accidental double dose of Seroquel. Absolutely terrifying experience for my partner.