Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Friday the 13th Part 9: Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

So.. I am guessing after Jason took Manhattan the film studio let the next guy do whatever he wanted because it couldn't possibly be as bad. It was close, but it had some entertaining moments. Jason becomes a body shifting demon, the Necronomicon makes a brief appearance, and even pulls some Evil Dead gags throughout. It's too bad they didn't go for full kooky evil dead comedy horror because it might have been pretty decent. Instead we get 2/3 of a movie watching Jason jump from person to person with not much happening at all. The final showdown was pretty cool, though.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

X

This hit creepy on so many levels. It feels like any movie taking place in Texas in the 70s with a van is going to end up with creepy rear end murders. Superb ending.

4/5

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Have you watched Pearl yet? If not, should be next on your list. Mia Goth is a marvel.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Philthy posted:

Friday the 13th Part 9: Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

So.. I am guessing after Jason took Manhattan the film studio let the next guy do whatever he wanted because it couldn't possibly be as bad. It was close, but it had some entertaining moments. Jason becomes a body shifting demon, the Necronomicon makes a brief appearance, and even pulls some Evil Dead gags throughout. It's too bad they didn't go for full kooky evil dead comedy horror because it might have been pretty decent. Instead we get 2/3 of a movie watching Jason jump from person to person with not much happening at all. The final showdown was pretty cool, though.

2/5

RedLetterMedia answered a few things regarding the director. Safe to say many 8-balls were harmed during the making of this movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRA_VAxlMA&t=2192s

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

anatomi posted:

Have you watched Pearl yet? If not, should be next on your list. Mia Goth is a marvel.

Not yet! These have been on my list for so long now. A buddy really enjoys them and mentioned a 3rd is supposed to be out "any day now".

Stegosnaurlax posted:

RedLetterMedia answered a few things regarding the director. Safe to say many 8-balls were harmed during the making of this movie.

Thanks! Definitely going to give this a watch. Stuff like this rules.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pearl

Deep dive into insanity right here. Wow. I really enjoyed that this was mostly backstory with cracks showing through until the dam finally breaks. Such a totally different style than X, but it worked so well.

4.5/5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
In case u didn't know a third one Maxxxine is on the way

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

MacheteZombie posted:

In case u didn't know a third one Maxxxine is on the way

Philthy posted:

Not yet! These have been on my list for so long now. A buddy really enjoys them and mentioned a 3rd is supposed to be out "any day now".
But yeah, Pearl is amazing and Goth should get more mainstream recognition for her performance in it, especially for her monologue. gently caress, it's so good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jason X

I haven't seen this since it was in the theater. The intro was loving cool as hell, the set up for the horny space kids finding him, and the ensuing badasses putting up a fight sometimes was fun to watch. The ending wasn't bad either. Decent budget to play with, decent special effects. It's tied up there for best of the series next to the original for me. If I had to choose or lose a limb, I'd go with the original.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Night Stalker (1972)

A reporter investigates mysterious murders in Las Vegas. What he finds out, no one believes. Not even the police, even after seeing with their own eyes. A super fun, easy going made for TV movie from the 70s. Kolchak, the main character, is played by Darren McGavin who is great to watch. This movie oozes 70s. There is a certain charm about older movies like this that are just enjoyable. I don't know if it's nostalgia, or just the way they filmed back then. While looking for a gif, I noticed other gifs of the same character that weren't from this movie. Apparently, they made a follow-up movie on the major success of this movie called The Night Strangler. When they went to make a 3rd movie, they were told they wanted to make it into a 1974 TV series called Kolchak: The Night Stalker. 20 episodes were aired, and are rated quite high, however McGavin wasn't happy with the arrangements and eventually left. This series was apparently the inspiration for the X-Files that came years later.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Midsommar

Let's join a cult!

I'm starting to see a pattern in how horror movies are shot with A24 being their production company. They don't really skimp, they go hard on the artistic shots, they put in a lot of low droney music with sharp stabs. The ones I've seen seem to have the same aesthetic to them. It's a good thing, because I like how they look, and the actual stories being told have been interesting. I'm sure they've got some stinkers out there, but I've not run across any yet. (Probably because my todo list are mostly from recommendations)

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 30, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Her fantasy about her husband returning home and blowing up is one of the funnier punchlines in a movie from this year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Remulak posted:

I think this was the first use of coooool backlit bulletholes. I was gonna write “I wish Kathryn Bigelow directed more movies” then I hit Wikipedia and was reminded that she directed Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, so uh…..

blood simple is 3 or 4 years older

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
napoloen... gotta say, that was not very good. not terrible either, just... yet another ridley scott film i guess. 2/5.

little miss sunshine. escaped me for a long time. great actors all around, fun characters and cute little road trip film. 4/5

Saw X. People who said this was good are weird and wrong people. but it wasnt as bad as some of the later ones. 1.5/5

Talk to me. Was scared this was going to be yet another zoomer horror film like bodies bodies bodies, which I hated. But liked it a lot 4/5.

Past Lives. Dont get me wrong, I liked it. Just didnt grab me nearly as much as it seems to for many others. 3/5

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 1, 2023

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Godzilla Minus One is dope, and totally worth seeing in the theater. This one re-imagines Godzilla as appearing in 1946 (in contrast to the original, which was made and set in 1954), just as Japan is rebuilding itself in the wake of World War II. It tells a somber and human story about trauma, duty, and sacrifice, and delivers on the awe and spectacle that you want while also distinguishing itself from other recent Godzilla films. Like the 2014 American reboot, this one limits the screen time of Godzilla himself, but while that one bored me with bland human characters, this one tells an emotional story with sympathetic characters, and I felt so invested in them that when Godzilla did appear, it carried an appropriate amount of dread at what the monster was going to do to these people's lives. My memory of Shin Godzilla is that it was also solid but thematically very different, in that it was all about the competence of government and institutions solving problems, while in contrast, Minus One runs with themes of populism, distrust of government, and rejection of war that are appropriate for the time period and spoke to my own sensibilities a lot more. The disaster scenes are doled out sparingly but carry both emotional and physical weight, thanks largely to great sound design and a lot of low angles that put you right in the action. At times it's a little schmaltzy and falls into certain action movie clichés, but overall it's a well-paced journey from bleak beginnings to a hopeful and optimistic climax with its share of "hell yeah" moments. Great example of a savvy and satisfying blockbuster. 8/10

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Haunt (2019)

Had a lot of fun watching this one. I was kind of worried it might be your run of the mill slasher flick. But it sort of blended horror genres a bit and the ending was :madmax:. I wanted the main characters to die multiple times throughout, but despite that it was still engaging and cool and fun.

3.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 1, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saltburn - 3/5

Fun ride that has some wild moments but doesn't add up to enough in the end.

It did have the funniest line of the year though: "Pamela died?" "Oh yes, she'd do anything for attention"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Smokey and the Bandit (1977): B+
Didn't think I'd like this movie when it first started, but it grew on me as I continued watching. It's something like a Saturday Night Fever for 1970s trucking/CB culture. Like SNF and disco culture, I'm not sure if there was ever actually a time when CBs were used as widely as they were in this film, but it's still a delight to see how everyone knew Bandit and had his back from Texarkana to Georgia.

Everyone's great in this film; even Burt Reynolds, whom I initially found a bit too....glib? I'm not sure how to describe it. Jackie Gleason was the perfect choice for Buford T. Justice and he plays off of his dopey son really, really well. I enjoyed every moment of this movie and can definitely understand why it was/is such a hit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 1, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Growing up with my dad in the late 70s and 80s who had a CB, they were used constantly. Truckers depended on them for knowing road closures, detours, rush hours, where cops are sitting, etc. They all used call signs, or handles. My dad was Albatross. I had one too, but hell if I can remember. I didn't get to talk to many much because swearing. CB culture kind of fell off in the early 90s.

Plus, they liked chatting with each other because driving for 10+ hours straight day after day you're going to lose your mind otherwise. I think Smokey 2 was my favorite growing up.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 2, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know who does CB radio? Reviewbrah.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

One of the great parts of Smokey and the Bandit is how authentic it felt to trucking as a career.

Tootsie (1982): A
As talented and legendary as Robin Williams was, Mrs. Doubtfire doesn't hold a candle to this movie. The entire cast puts in excellent performances but it's not just the acting but the story. Equal parts comedy and tragedy (Hoffman apparently does not see this film as a comedy at all), amid the 'man dressing as a woman' stuff is some really interesting examination of gender roles and dickhead guys who call women they're not married to or dating "honey" or "tootsie".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's the deal there anyway? The popularity of long haul trucking can't possibly have originated with a dumb novelty song.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dead of Night (1945)

A very old horror anthology. I have a huge love for old black and white movies. It starts off really interesting, and wraps up really nice. The stories in-between are just hit and miss. Some of them I've seen retold before elsewhere, and a few are just pulpy. Back in the day I'm sure this was amazing. One thing that I noticed about 36 minutes in during a mirror scene, the orchestra music sounds suspiciously similar to the Hellraiser theme? Or maybe Hellraiser 2 music. It gave me goosebumps and I swear I was waiting for Pinhead to appear. The music was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.

3/5

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Woodenlung posted:

Past Lives. Dont get me wrong, I liked it. Just didnt grab me nearly as much as it seems to for many others. 3/5

I felt the same despite, on paper, it seeming extremely up my alley. The performances were fantastic but I just left it feeling a bit cold. It's one I'd like to revisit when in a more receptive headspace.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's the deal there anyway? The popularity of long haul trucking can't possibly have originated with a dumb novelty song.

Fun fact: C.W McCall who performed Convoy was not even a trucker but a commercial character for....bread, I think it was?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Godzilla Minus One

I've only seen a handful of Godzilla movies, mostly all the older ones. This movie went real hard in just kicking Japan in the balls when they were already down. The overall story was pretty good, and very emotional. Glad I saw it in the theater, it was pretty full for a matinee! Special effects were drat good.

3.5/5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

PTizzle posted:

I felt the same despite, on paper, it seeming extremely up my alley. The performances were fantastic but I just left it feeling a bit cold. It's one I'd like to revisit when in a more receptive headspace.

I thought it was fine in the moment but pretty forgettable overall once I left the theater.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pontypool

The build up for this was amazing. I wanted the whole movie to be just that. Stephen King wrote a book similar to this and I didn't care for the premise, and I guess this was also a book written 10 years before Kings and I'm not sure I like the premise for that, either. But, the suspense here floored me. My jaw was on the floor. The characters and interactions were great.

3.5/5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Philthy posted:

Dead of Night (1945)

A very old horror anthology. I have a huge love for old black and white movies. It starts off really interesting, and wraps up really nice. The stories in-between are just hit and miss. Some of them I've seen retold before elsewhere, and a few are just pulpy. Back in the day I'm sure this was amazing. One thing that I noticed about 36 minutes in during a mirror scene, the orchestra music sounds suspiciously similar to the Hellraiser theme? Or maybe Hellraiser 2 music. It gave me goosebumps and I swear I was waiting for Pinhead to appear. The music was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.

3/5

There's a pretty decent doc about Dead of Night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZyhZ3eF_A

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Santo in: The Treasure of Dracula

Lots of boobs. Sadly few vampires getting suplexed.

2/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cat People (1942)

A minimalist movie about a woman that fears she is a satanic cultist that can turn into a cat. She has a relationship and things become complicated. The scenes all looked great for not having a budget at the time, but the story just didn't grab me at all.

2.5/5

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a pretty decent doc about Dead of Night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZyhZ3eF_A

Thanks, checking this out now.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

M3GAN

Started off really great. She was creepy as hell, and they had a good time explaining the science and the effects on people and such. When it came time for her to "go nuts" the movie fell apart. She started making evil robot wirring noises and stompy sounds. This came off as the equivalent of adding a laugh track to a comedy flick.

3/5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ending was crap.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love that they still literally teach the Cat People stalking scene as the classic example of a jump scare/tension editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3vm7UgE0bg

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Southbound

Enjoyable anthology. Something strange is going on in the desert. It had a Lovecraftian vibe to it. No real stinkers, but none that I would consider great, either. I think my favorite was Jailbreak and the The Way Out / The Way In.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bitch rear end

Tony Todd (Candyman) introduces you to Hood Horror Movie Nights, and the film of the night is titled Bitch rear end. It's a typical slasher flick, which in all honesty, is corny as hell. Up until the halfway point I was determined to write this off as a pretty bad horror flick. However, it isn't lazy. It tries so loving hard to do some interesting things. Halfway through, it actually does. It's not saved completely, but I came away from this kind of charmed by it. A little. Maybe it was the backstory being filled in, which really gave it the life it really needed, or maybe it was because the acting, the torture, and the movie itself stepped it up a bit and tried to save itself.

One other thing to mention is they tried a lot of wild stuff with the filming. The main movie itself is, I think, in 2.35:1, but it goes into 16:9 for various effects, then even goes into 1.85:1 during a bit at the end. They use some crazy wide-angle lenses that have some serious distortion going on along the edges, and it looks pretty neat. They also overlay multiple camera angles during certain scenes. It's all very weird, but different.

3/5

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Two movies I've seen recently that I kept meaning to post about :

The Return of Captain Invincible (1983), an Australian Superhero/Musical/Comedy B-movie starring the late Alan Arkin and the later Christopher Lee, with music by Richard O'Brien. The movie follows Captain Invincible (Arkin), a World War II era superhero who became an alcoholic and moved to Australia after facing McCarthy-style government persecution in the 1950's. He is called out retirement after an experiential "Hypno-Ray" is stolen by his arch-nemesis, Mr. Midnight (Lee), and yes this does mean that Schmendrick is facing King Haggard once again as this came out a year after The Last Unicorn.

I wasn't expecting much going into this film and that is pretty much what I got. The film doesn't really pick up until the last half hour, although there are a few good bits and gags in the first hour. Arkin's acting didn't really do anything for me, I guess he was going for deadpan but it just comes of as flat. By contrast everything with Lee is great and you could tell he had a good time making the film. Also this film didn't really need to be a musical, although the best scene is probably Lee singing “Name Your Poison” near the end of the film (slightly NSFW, also watch with the captions to get all the puns).

2/5

Stop Making Sense the Talking Heads concert film. Saw this at my local theater for it's re-release. Not much to say other than that it's a great movie and probably the best concert film ever made.

5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Kindred (1987)

I last saw this in the theater as a kid. I made my mother take me twice. I forgot what it was called for the longest time, and I finally just rewatched it. A monster movie that has some pretty freaking good special effects! The story isn't half bad, and it's fun to watch. It's not a forgotten great or anything, but it's good. I liked all the characters, and there is a crap ton of goop! Nostalgia bumping this half a point.

3.5/5

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Boy and the Heron
A masterpiece, Miyazaki wanted to make a bookend to a career showing that his writing and direction is timeless.
I hate to spoil movies but the film reminds me of Pans labyrinth and Baron Munchousen.
So engrossing I felt like I forgot to blink.
10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The_Other posted:

By contrast everything with Lee is great and you could tell he had a good time making the film. Also this film didn't really need to be a musical, although the best scene is probably Lee singing “Name Your Poison” near the end of the film (slightly NSFW, also watch with the captions to get all the puns).

2/5

I’ve never managed to finish Captain in one go, but I still find myself singing Name Your Poison on the regular. Absolute banger of a song that justifies the entire movie for me.