Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the symbolism is that minnesota is the headwaters of the Mississippi river, which is an extremely important body of water throughout the history of this land. i don't know if i like that flag overall but its symbolism of the Mississippi and the Northern Lights is spot on

the river was important before europeans showed up too, so it also has some symbolism in trying to say "oops" for the turbo racist current flag

We've already got other states stealing the valour of our fair* river, including one that stole its dang name. My apartment is within my flabby goon arm's throw of the river. My daughters were born in a room with a view of the river. Minnesota can stick to the north star and maybe like, a drunk nordic-looking guy punching a wisconsinite or canadian about sports opinions.

*it's actually pretty nasty, but gosh darn it, bless your heart, it's ours :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought that Edgar Allen Ho lived in Texas and/or Kazakhstan, so I’m considering which one has a better claim to the Mississippi.

I think that it’s actually Louisiana.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Inshallah the Mississippi will soon be a tributary of the mighty Atchafalaya.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Minnesota is also looking to redesign its seal, and only one of the finalists is any good.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/see-the-five-finalists-for-minnesotas-new-state-seal

The North Star seems like a weird obsession because there's 7 other states about as north and 2 further north.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

there's 7 other states about as north

49.38°: Minnesota

49°: Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota

48°–49°: Michigan

47–48°: Maine, Wisconsin

SlothfulCobra posted:

2 further north.

Alaska, and you’ve lost me.

I’d say that it’s geographic centers, but in that case Minnesota is beaten not only by Alaska and North Dakota, but also Washington and Montana.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 25, 2023

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fuschia tude posted:

The name of the state in white Helvetica on a black background, one syllable per line, left-aligned, with an ampersand at the end of each syllable except the last.

why don't you show us what that would look like

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Minnesota is also looking to redesign its seal, and only one of the finalists is any good.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/see-the-five-finalists-for-minnesotas-new-state-seal

The North Star seems like a weird obsession because there's 7 other states about as north and 2 further north.

the state motto of minnesota is "L'Étoile du Nord"

and the only state further north is alaska, which didn't become a state until 100 years later

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Northwest Angle shouldn't count.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
There's a flag thread????

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
To not just shitpost here's a flag of the town i always spent my winter holiday at

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

More people should put their girlfriends on flags

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
She looks a bit inflatable to me

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Unkempt posted:

She looks a bit inflatable to me

i trust your expertize on the matter

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
We have a late entry that got lost in filing, and it's sweeping the polls:

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

taters
Jun 13, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Rex_Flag

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Now THAT'S a flag

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Every flag should have "NO POPERY" on it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Every flag should have "NO POPERY" on it.

The Houthi Rebels are seriously considering your proposal.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

No popery, no doubt.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

My Mom always had a bowl of popery on the coffee table.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I am very much in favour of popery though

e: explicitly Protestant flags blow rear end

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How about antipope flags?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reject popery imo

But not like that

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I am very much in favour of popery though

e: explicitly Protestant flags blow rear end

There is something to be said for Prod austereness. For example, Ulster unionist flags. I like the whole 'red hand' motif.

Unfortunately, like everything else, they apparently stole it from the natives

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Phlegmish posted:

There is something to be said for Prod austereness. For example, Ulster unionist flags. I like the whole 'red hand' motif.

Accusing the Ulster protestants of not being really Irish is a bit of catholic nationalist cope. A lot of social groups just went along with the Church of Ireland. Twat them for trusting English politics to serve their interests.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

How about antipope flags?

idk ask Corky

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I like the way you hoist it
No Popery

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

eh, that crown is really frilly and not austere

scandiflags are proper austere prodflags

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ChubbyChecker posted:

scandiflags are proper austere prodflags
Which makes sense, since they were given to us by God directly.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Minnesota flag should be just like the Guam flag but the picture inside the yoni could be an old Buick buried in snow

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Accusing the Ulster protestants of not being really Irish is a bit of catholic nationalist cope. A lot of social groups just went along with the Church of Ireland. Twat them for trusting English politics to serve their interests.

Regardless of whether or not a small minority among them might descend from converts, none of the people flying these flags in 2023 would ever identify as Irish, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Anyway, not really the thread for this. I guess I started it with that offhand remark, but I genuinely was not expecting pushback lol

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's what happens when you allow Anglicans on the flag design committee

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which makes sense, since they were given to us by God directly.

The Swedes and the various separatist "countries" can gently caress right off too, God gave Denmark the flag, all the others are just rip-offs.
Also I'm pretty sure the white represents god's truth or whatever, and the red represents the blood of the Estonians we were raiding converting

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

BonHair posted:

The Swedes and the various separatist "countries" can gently caress right off too, God gave Denmark the flag, all the others are just rip-offs.
Also I'm pretty sure the white represents god's truth or whatever, and the red represents the blood of the Estonians we were raiding converting

You totally stole yours from the crusaders. Now you're blaming us for understanding colour theory and making the thing look good

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You totally stole yours from the crusaders. Now you're blaming us for understanding colour theory and making the thing look good
We were the crusaders.

Also, the Danish flag is clean, holy, and humble, celebrating purity, while the Swedish flag celebrates greed. Furthermore, the Danish flag is a much better inspiration for desserts.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Swedish flag has a friendly, sunny disposition, only slightly beaten there by Palau.

Denmark’s is fine but it doesn’t cheer me up or anything

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Snowy posted:

The Swedish flag has a friendly, sunny disposition, only slightly beaten there by Palau.
So what you're saying is that it's also deceitful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We were the crusaders.

Also, the Danish flag is clean, holy, and humble, celebrating purity, while the Swedish flag celebrates greed. Furthermore, the Danish flag is a much better inspiration for desserts.

Whole pigs are not desserts.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Platystemon posted:

Whole pigs are not desserts.

Not with that attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We were the crusaders.

Introducing my Icelandic neighbours to rødgrød med fløde with the cream cross blew their mind. I don't know if Swedes do blæbårsuppe with præstost, but that sounds gross