Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TIL that loving Fukiyama talked about the atomization brought about by capitalism. What in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I would hit the no button so hard it would break the machine.
https://twitter.com/setpixels/status/1731098710095131115

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/tinyfleu/status/1731181785269366843
Glad the girl whose father wishes she was dead is doing well.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shageletic posted:

TIL that loving Fukiyama talked about the atomization brought about by capitalism. What in the world

Yeah, you have to realize that when he says stuff like this, it's in the final chapter of his magnum opus where he has explained that it's good to the point of being teleological. He referred to Donald Trump, by name, as a marker of Liberal Capitalist Democracy in decline:

"The decline of community life suggests that in the future, we risk becoming secure and self-absorbed last men, devoid of thymotic striving for higher goals in our pursuit of private comforts. But the opposite danger exists as well, namely, that we will return to being first men engaged in bloody and pointless prestige battles, only this time with modern weapons. Indeed, the two problems are related to one another, for the absence of regular and con­structive outlets for megalothymia may simply lead to its later re­surgence in an extreme and pathological form.

It is reasonable to wonder whether all people will believe that the kinds of struggles and sacrifices possible in a self-satisfied and prosperous liberal democracy are sufficient to call forth what is highest in man. For are there not reservoirs of idealism that can­ not be exhausted - indeed, that are not even touched - if one be­comes a developer like Donald Trump, or a mountain climber like Reinhold Meissner, or politician like George Bush? Difficult as it is, in many ways, to be these individuals, and for all the recogni­tion they receive, their lives are not the most difficult, and the causes they serve are not the most serious or the most just. And as long as they are not, the horizon of human possibilities that they define will not be ultimately satisfying for the most thymotic na­tures .

In particular, the virtues and ambitions called forth by war are unlikely to find expression in liberal democracies. There will be plenty of metaphorical wars - corporate lawyers specializing in hostile takeovers who will think of themselves as sharks or gun-slingers, and bond traders who imagine, as in Tom Wolfe's novel The Bonfire of the Vanities, that they are "masters of the universe." (They will believe this, however, only in bull markets.) But as they sink into the soft leather of their BMWs, they will know some­ where in the back of their minds that there have been real gun­ slingers and masters in the world, who would feel contempt for the petty virtues required to become rich or famous in modern America. How long megalothymia will be satisfied with metaphor­ical wars and symbolic victories is an open question. One suspects that some people will not be satisfied until they prove themselves by that very act that constituted their humanness at the beginning of history: they will want to risk their lives in a violent battle, and thereby prove beyond any shadow of a doubt to themselves and to their fellows that they are free. They will deliberately seek dis­comfort and sacrifice, because the pain will be the only way they have of proving definitively that they can think well of themselves, that they remain human beings."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Missingnoleader posted:

they are trying to erase our identity; our children learned empathy *spits*

fortunately we have lined up some events that adhere to our values that we can take her to for deprogramming
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/20/israelis-cheer-gaza-bombing

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

you will not make me read Fukiyama, FF. I refuse

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

alarumklok posted:

you will not make me read Fukiyama, FF. I refuse

Is there a word for being an oracle like Cassandra, but also you still think everything you predict is good?

"Liberal democracies, in other words, are not self-sufficient: the community life on which they depend must ultimately come from a source different from liberalism itself. The men and women who made up American society at the time of the found­ing of the United States were not isolated, rational individuals calculating their self-interest. Rather, they were for the most part members of religious communities held together by a common moral code and belief in God. The rational liberalism that they eventually came to embrace was not a projection of that pre­existing culture, but existed in some tension with it. "Self-interest rightly understood" came to be a broadly understandable princi­ple that laid a low but solid ground for public virtue in the United States, in many cases a firmer ground than was possible through appeal to religious or pre-modern values alone. But in the long run those liberal principles had a corrosive effect on the values predating liberalism necessary to sustain strong communities, and thereby on a liberal society's ability to be self-sustaining."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, you have to realize that when he says stuff like this, it's in the final chapter of his magnum opus where he has explained that it's good to the point of being teleological. He referred to Donald Trump, by name, as a marker of Liberal Capitalist Democracy in decline:

"The decline of community life suggests that in the future, we risk becoming secure and self-absorbed last men, devoid of thymotic striving for higher goals in our pursuit of private comforts. But the opposite danger exists as well, namely, that we will return to being first men engaged in bloody and pointless prestige battles, only this time with modern weapons. Indeed, the two problems are related to one another, for the absence of regular and con­structive outlets for megalothymia may simply lead to its later re­surgence in an extreme and pathological form.

It is reasonable to wonder whether all people will believe that the kinds of struggles and sacrifices possible in a self-satisfied and prosperous liberal democracy are sufficient to call forth what is highest in man. For are there not reservoirs of idealism that can­ not be exhausted - indeed, that are not even touched - if one be­comes a developer like Donald Trump, or a mountain climber like Reinhold Meissner, or politician like George Bush? Difficult as it is, in many ways, to be these individuals, and for all the recogni­tion they receive, their lives are not the most difficult, and the causes they serve are not the most serious or the most just. And as long as they are not, the horizon of human possibilities that they define will not be ultimately satisfying for the most thymotic na­tures .

In particular, the virtues and ambitions called forth by war are unlikely to find expression in liberal democracies. There will be plenty of metaphorical wars - corporate lawyers specializing in hostile takeovers who will think of themselves as sharks or gun-slingers, and bond traders who imagine, as in Tom Wolfe's novel The Bonfire of the Vanities, that they are "masters of the universe." (They will believe this, however, only in bull markets.) But as they sink into the soft leather of their BMWs, they will know some­ where in the back of their minds that there have been real gun­ slingers and masters in the world, who would feel contempt for the petty virtues required to become rich or famous in modern America. How long megalothymia will be satisfied with metaphor­ical wars and symbolic victories is an open question. One suspects that some people will not be satisfied until they prove themselves by that very act that constituted their humanness at the beginning of history: they will want to risk their lives in a violent battle, and thereby prove beyond any shadow of a doubt to themselves and to their fellows that they are free. They will deliberately seek dis­comfort and sacrifice, because the pain will be the only way they have of proving definitively that they can think well of themselves, that they remain human beings."

"Everyone will be Patrick Batemans and this is good"

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

“Stupid spoiled children” is a weird way to spell “Horrible monsters who should be tried and sent to labor camps for the rest of their lives for crimes against humanity.”

I don't even want to give them the respect of calling them monsters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The situation with three anti personnel bombs killing 60 IDF guys is exactly what people imagine when learning how claymore mines work.

Missingnoleader posted:

Sharing and caring are the most basic anti-Imperial, anticapitalist elements.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Delusions they'll wipe it off the map maybe. I see stuff like this and I see proof that Israel is a nation of stupid spoiled children.

Israel is loving stupid dumbass racist demon baby country of 3 million hitlers, 5 million calm hitlers and 1 millions hitlers who think the hitlering should be done with slower or with better optics, where the utter disconnect the average person has from their humanity the moment the conflict with the Palestinians comes up is some baffling encounter-with-an-alien poo poo, like the zionist brain mushroom implanted on everyone from birth has degraded their ability to react with a modicum of sympathy to the suffering of people living less than 100 kilometers away who are terrorized and slandered for simply existing and not being willing to just take it lying down, where every family and friend group and classroom and bar is the loving nazi party but oh I guess the zoomers are somewhat more subtle/concerned about optics in regards to their only slightly repressed hitlerism so maybe we should give them a gold loving medal. You did it guys, you're 80% hitler instead of 100% hitler, pat yourselves on the back and call yourselves "Israeli leftists" you strasserite rear end pieces of poo poo, oh and let's not forget the truly remarkable plucky little band of Israelis who are totally anti zionist and all but condemn every single violent Palestinian resistance group that exists because they're spineless cunts that get queasy during rocket alarms so I guess that means Hamas should resist peacefully for their comfort, meanwhile the people and children of Gaza are being loving murdered every day with thousands of bombs and all the little demons cheer

gently caress Israel and gently caress Israelis seriously

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I saw this and thought "I bet I could actually get Field Marshal Mhewkov to wear one."

He purred when I put it on.

Now that's a good cat 10/10 well taken care of and well dressed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Israel did a massacre at Jabalia camp in Northern Gaza two~ hours ago. Please do not search for it on Twitter. It is not pretty, it is awful. DTI, DTA, Palestine will be free. I hate that barbaric country so so so so loving much.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

uuh I'm totally an Israeli leftist you guys b-but let's calm it down with the missles ok Gazans please die more quietly for my sake while I post about how tragic it is *shits diaper*

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Israels double down on trying to take gaza by land, are now starting to try to go into the north of Khan younis

-----

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6084672

Israeli Army Radio: A ground operation begins north of Khan Yunis
Israeli Army Radio said that its forces began a ground operation north of Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip.

------------

By the way they havent managed to take beit hanoun yet at dont even have 20% of gaza city and they've lost a divisions worth of vehicles and just today hamas killed a total of 80 IDF troopers with the combined ambushes and mine explosions they've done so expect lots of red triangles coming soon.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

One suspects that some people will not be satisfied until they prove themselves by that very act that constituted their humanness at the beginning of history: they will want to risk their lives in a violent battle, and thereby prove beyond any shadow of a doubt to themselves and to their fellows that they are free. They will deliberately seek dis­comfort and sacrifice, because the pain will be the only way they have of proving definitively that they can think well of themselves, that they remain human beings."

my face when I learn that fukuyama just stumbles into fascist death drive

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there a word for being an oracle like Cassandra, but also you still think everything you predict is good?

"Liberal democracies, in other words, are not self-sufficient: the community life on which they depend must ultimately come from a source different from liberalism itself. The men and women who made up American society at the time of the found­ing of the United States were not isolated, rational individuals calculating their self-interest. Rather, they were for the most part members of religious communities held together by a common moral code and belief in God. The rational liberalism that they eventually came to embrace was not a projection of that pre­existing culture, but existed in some tension with it. "Self-interest rightly understood" came to be a broadly understandable princi­ple that laid a low but solid ground for public virtue in the United States, in many cases a firmer ground than was possible through appeal to religious or pre-modern values alone. But in the long run those liberal principles had a corrosive effect on the values predating liberalism necessary to sustain strong communities, and thereby on a liberal society's ability to be self-sustaining."

I feel like acknowledging his end of history schtick isn't actually stable and then still sticking with it is somehow worse than my previous opinion of him

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fukuyama: the teleology of cope

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

More israeli companies making GBS threads their diapers and quitting the red sea thanks to the heroic Houthis

=============================================

The Israeli shipping company Tsim: We changed the navigation lines of our ships after two ships were bombed by drones off the coast of Yemen.

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1731346828086423798?s=20

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Missingnoleader posted:

israel is so desperate to get some decent propaganda out of the hostage exchange and this sort of poo poo is all they can get.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't this your beef with the neoliberalized military? What form of government is the proper one for ensuring the citizen's thymos remains properly engorged?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

FlapYoJacks posted:

Israel did a massacre at Jabalia camp in Northern Gaza two~ hours ago. Please do not search for it on Twitter. It is not pretty, it is awful. DTI, DTA, Palestine will be free. I hate that barbaric country so so so so loving much.

As Israel increasingly realizes the impossibility of the task they've set for themselves - "defeating" Hamas in any meaningful sense - these blatant attacks on civilians will continue. They're lashing out and deliberately targeting whatever civilians they can.

Israel must be stopped. Hamas must be supported as it defends Gaza from this fascist colonial entity.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Missingnoleader posted:

drat I wonder why the food situation in Gaza wasn't great, is it perhaps because Israel is barbarically besieging the strip and depriving the 2.5 million people inside of basic necesseties?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sancho Banana posted:

You know how liberals and conservatives always hone in on queer people in the west for their support of Palestine? The whole stupid "but they're homophobic over there!!" line?

They love doing that poo poo because they believe that for the wretched of the earth, human rights are conditional. A victim of racism, social marginalization, colonialism, etc has to prove, in the eyes of the opressor, that they qualify for basic human dignity - typically by remaining a perfect victim, obedient and pure, morally unimpeachable from every angle. This is, of course, in opposition to the upper class, for whom human rights are taken for granted, where every person is innocent until proven guilty and the actions of "bad apples" do not influence the entire group's moral standing. The oppressed are forced to engage in this exhausting perpetual ritual of proving their humanity again and again: for example, Muslims in the west who were constantly asked to condemn ISIS back in the 2010s, or Palestinians right now being asked to condemn Hamas - the latter not being quite like the former since ISIS is bad while Hamas is good, but you get my point, it's about how marginalized people constantly have to reaffirm that they're "the good ones". Nobody ever asks Israelis to condemn the violence perpetuated by settlers in the west bank on the Palestinian population, even though those Palestinians are constantly asked to condemn the resistance.

The only way for a member of lower class to fully gain the status of a human, in the case of colonialism, is to be obedient or a collaborator. The conquistadors were glad to grant the Totonac and Tlaxcalteca the title of "good Indians" for assisting them in their war against the Aztec empire, without which the 1519 expedition would be remembered as no more impressive than the rest of Cortes' resume. The rest of the indigenous population was, of course, viewed as inherently subhuman and undeserving of equal rights.

Great post.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I guess they are keeping that 60 soldier death a secret for now because I’ve seen nothing about it. I swear it wasn’t a 2am dream

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

10 of these

4 of these

1 of these

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/lib_crusher/status/1731325210693881895?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Karach posted:

Isn't this your beef with the neoliberalized military? What form of government is the proper one for ensuring the citizen's thymos remains properly engorged?

Well, he points out earlier, albeit in disparaging terms, that pre-liberal forms of government that emphasized "fairness" over "freedom" inspired people to be engaged with the community. He feels that it held people who possessed, in his words, "innate superiority gifted by nature", back, restricting their freedom to be titans.

So, to answer your question first, Fukuyama would say I'm not a liberal. I would agree, because while he echoes what I see as the causes of our militaries being an absolute poo poo show, as dead gay comedy forums said, he basically thinks a death drive will remedy that:

"This aspect of Hegel's thought has led to the charge that he was a militarist. But he never glorified war for its own sake, or saw it as the chief end of man; war was important for its secondary effects on character and community. Hegel believed that without the possibility of war and the sacrifices demanded by it, men would grow soft and self-absorbed; society would degenerate into a mo­rass of selfish hedonism and community would ultimately dis­solve. Fear of man's "lord and master, Death" was a force like no other, capable of drawing men outside of themselves and remind­ing them that they were not isolated atoms, but members of com­munities built around shared ideals. A liberal democracy that could fight a short and decisive war every generation or so to defend its own liberty and independence would be far healthier and more satisfied than one that experienced nothing but contin­uous peace."

Now, here's the thing: I would prefer, crazy idea, that our peacetime society cultivate community, sacrifices, "drawing men outside of themselves and remind­ing them that they were not isolated atoms, but members of com­munities built around shared ideals". So, rather than a Liberal Capitalist Democracy that literally needs to go to war every generation (wtf) that, we have a good society. This, incidentally, is why Fukuyama was a big regime change guy. I don't know if a lot of people know that. He literally supported war for its own sake, or rather, it was necessary for a million Iraqis to die so that the tensions in American society would be manageable for about 20-30 years.

He also proposed slow-rolling the End of History into the Third World. NATO and EU expansion into the former Warsaw Pact, of course, but he preposed that, for lack of a better term, little game reserves of acceptable enemies be maintained to periodically reinvigorate the social contract in the countries that matter:

"But supposing that the world has become "filled up," so to speak, with liberal democracies, such that there exist no tyranny and oppression worthy of the name against which to struggle? Experience suggests that if men cannot struggle on behalf of a just cause because that just cause was victorious in an earlier generation, then they will struggle against the just cause. They will struggle for the sake of struggle. They will struggle, in other words, out of a certain boredom : for they cannot imagine living in a world without struggle. And if the greater part of the world in which they live is characterized by peaceful and prosperous liberal democracy, then they will struggle against that peace and pros­perity, and against democracy."

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Dec 3, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted from Fukuyama's argument, he believes that triumph of the West is so total that war cannot come from outside the empire, which is just weak remnant states, but from within. That eventually the Donald Trumps of the West will disturb the great foundations of the empire from inside of it fed by the weakness of "too much peace."

The irony is that the greatest threat to the West is not Donald Trump, but the inability to even think of the empire ever being challenged again from the outside. That the regime change conflicts didn't make the American military better at meeting a real adversary, it made them worse.

The problem wasn't not enough blood was being spilled anymore but the assumption they had actually won.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Dec 3, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Missingnoleader posted:

Hamas did more parenting in a month than her fuckin dad ever did lol

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the idf really is just an army of cops

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, he points out earlier, albeit in disparaging terms, that pre-liberal forms of government that emphasized "fairness" over "freedom" inspired people to be engaged with the community. He feels that it held people who possessed, in his words, "innate superiority gifted by nature", back, restricting their freedom to be titans.

So, to answer your question first, Fukuyama would say I'm not a liberal. I would agree, because while he echoes what I see as the causes of our militaries being an absolute poo poo show, as dead gay comedy forums said, he basically thinks a death drive will remedy that:

"This aspect of Hegel's thought has led to the charge that he was a militarist. But he never glorified war for its own sake, or saw it as the chief end of man; war was important for its secondary effects on character and community. Hegel believed that without the possibility of war and the sacrifices demanded by it, men would grow soft and self-absorbed; society would degenerate into a mo­rass of selfish hedonism and community would ultimately dis­solve. Fear of man's "lord and master, Death" was a force like no other, capable of drawing men outside of themselves and remind­ing them that they were not isolated atoms, but members of com­munities built around shared ideals. A liberal democracy that could fight a short and decisive war every generation or so to defend its own liberty and independence would be far healthier and more satisfied than one that experienced nothing but contin­uous peace."

Now, here's the thing: I would prefer, crazy idea, that our peacetime society cultivate community, sacrifices, "drawing men outside of themselves and remind­ing them that they were not isolated atoms, but members of com­munities built around shared ideals". So, rather than a Liberal Capitalist Democracy that literally needs to go to war every generation (wtf) that, we have a good society. This, incidentally, is why Fukuyama was a big regime change guy. I don't know if a lot of people know that. He literally supported war for its own sake, or rather, it was necessary for a million Iraqis to die so that the tensions in American society would be manageable for about 20-30 years.

Thanks for this thorough reply. I'm always skeeved when guys like Fukuyama start throwing around terms like "thymotic" because it's inevitably some pencil-armed academic expressing in classically elevated language their personal horniness for war. It reads like some fascistic impulse, where they want the society they live in to feel powerful and manly, to prevent some backslide into barbarity. I assume their own thymos gets charged up from simply being near to war, while others do the actual fighting?

Does Fukuyama ever explain why he thinks it's only in war that people can cultivate these virtues?

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Sancho Banana posted:

Israel is loving stupid dumbass racist demon baby country of 3 million hitlers, 5 million calm hitlers and 1 millions hitlers who think the hitlering should be done with slower or with better optics, where the utter disconnect the average person has from their humanity the moment the conflict with the Palestinians comes up is some baffling encounter-with-an-alien poo poo, like the zionist brain mushroom implanted on everyone from birth has degraded their ability to react with a modicum of sympathy to the suffering of people living less than 100 kilometers away who are terrorized and slandered for simply existing and not being willing to just take it lying down, where every family and friend group and classroom and bar is the loving nazi party but oh I guess the zoomers are somewhat more subtle/concerned about optics in regards to their only slightly repressed hitlerism so maybe we should give them a gold loving medal. You did it guys, you're 80% hitler instead of 100% hitler, pat yourselves on the back and call yourselves "Israeli leftists" you strasserite rear end pieces of poo poo, oh and let's not forget the truly remarkable plucky little band of Israelis who are totally anti zionist and all but condemn every single violent Palestinian resistance group that exists because they're spineless cunts that get queasy during rocket alarms so I guess that means Hamas should resist peacefully for their comfort, meanwhile the people and children of Gaza are being loving murdered every day with thousands of bombs and all the little demons cheer

gently caress Israel and gently caress Israelis seriously

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Aside, my ideal military is the parade ground Late-Victorian/Edwardian Army, with all of the pomp and circumstance, alternating with wholesome foreign service. Only instead of occupying India, doing something genuinely nice and helpful.

(but not racist)

Unfortunately, this is not really how foreign service works, unless someday in the future, the UN will issue robin's egg blue Wolseley pattern helmets with white puggarees.

But given the current socioeconomic and political system, anything we do will end up like the IDF, both in the sense of murdering innocent people for no reason, and the military devolving into MIC grift and atomized troops living in lovely barracks, who either hate their job or are there to murder innocent people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

Aside, my ideal military is the parade ground Late-Victorian/Edwardian Army, with all of the pomp and circumstance, alternating with wholesome foreign service. Only instead of occupying India, doing something genuinely nice and helpful.

(but not racist)

Unfortunately, this is not really how foreign service works, unless someday in the future, the UN will issue robin's egg blue Wolseley pattern helmets with white puggarees.

But given the current socioeconomic and political system, anything we do will end up like the IDF, both in the sense of murdering innocent people for no reason, and the military devolving into MIC grift and atomized troops living in lovely barracks, who either hate their job or are there to murder innocent people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The advent of monarcho-communism delayed another 6 hours

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Now, here's the thing: I would prefer, crazy idea, that our peacetime society cultivate community, sacrifices, "drawing men outside of themselves and remind­ing them that they were not isolated atoms, but members of com­munities built around shared ideals". So, rather than a Liberal Capitalist Democracy that literally needs to go to war every generation (wtf) that, we have a good society.

the Army Corps of Engineers comes to Long Beach Island, NJ every few years to valiantly replenish the beach so rich people don't lose their shore houses :patriot:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

lol so Francis is just another guy who had his brain rotted by Objectivism

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Clip-On Fedora posted:

lol so Francis is just another guy who had his brain rotted by Objectivism

definitely reads like a guy assuming the conclusion that liberal society is both superior and inevitable from the beginning of his argument

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Seems pretty wild to accurately to identify social atomization and lack of any unifying social fabric or purpose as a problem with liberalism and decide periodic wars is the answer. I guess if they did something non-destructive like the public works administration, belt and road, or sending doctors like Cuba's "white coat army" it wouldn't be liberalism anymore...

Did some more consumerism to support the cause at the local fair trade festival with a few bottles of this stuff for my own cooking and for my MIL who specifically requested "nice olive oil" as a gift. apparently some of the proceeds help build playgrounds. :unsmith:

my kid wore a keffiyeh with me and we picked up a few more hibawi ones at a booth there too. she was really concerned it was appropriative (apple don't fall far from the tree, she's a sensitive sort) but I was able to convince her it was a legit expression of solidarity showing her the FAQ and letting her know i'd talked to some folks about it.