Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tom Cruise will personally execute you if you try this

Thank you for the reminder to rewatch Edge of Tomorrow, the live action anime adaptation in which Tom Cruise dies several dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kazinsal posted:

Thank you for the reminder to rewatch Edge of Tomorrow, the live action anime adaptation in which Tom Cruise dies several dozen times.

It's a surprisingly good/enjoyable film, not only because you see him eat it many, many times.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah it’s actually really good.

I’m cautiously excited for the sequel.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

(but yeah you can also rent time on machines for incredibly cheap even if you want to do all your own tinkering and not just pay for a total solution)

Might be a dumb question, but what are some good services for this? Looking around I’m seeing mostly shadow PC type stuff for a monthly subscription price

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

App13 posted:

Might be a dumb question, but what are some good services for this? Looking around I’m seeing mostly shadow PC type stuff for a monthly subscription price

Google Colab is designed to be the most newbie friendly, if you are willing to navigate a big cloud console you can get big GPUs on AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform billed by the minute, or maybe second.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

App13 posted:

Google colab and the big cloud providers are the preferred, but for shadow pc style I've heard people talk about vast.ai as the better per minute renting site without any minimum monthly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

renting someones 4090 from Vietnam for 40c an hour. the future is wonderful

cheapest is a guy in Ontario Canada with a 1060 you can rent for 6 cents an hour, lol

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Because I have more money than sense, I ended up getting an Arc GPU after all. I just couldn't help myself. Got the last Acer A770 BiFrost OC for $ 269 at Microcenter. I'll be cramming it in a Node 202 which seems like a good use case for the blower fan. Looking forward to seeing what this thing can (and surely can't) do and what sort of temps I'll get.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bloopsy posted:

Because I have more money than sense, I ended up getting an Arc GPU after all. I just couldn't help myself. Got the last Acer A770 BiFrost OC for $ 269 at Microcenter. I'll be cramming it in a Node 202 which seems like a good use case for the blower fan. Looking forward to seeing what this thing can (and surely can't) do and what sort of temps I'll get.
People tend to buy Arc cards for the amazing rollercoaster experience more than pushing frames in their favorite benchmarks

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

People tend to buy Arc cards for the amazing rollercoaster experience more than pushing frames in their favorite benchmarks

Yeah, the primary basis for the purchase was the novelty factor since it’s not going to be my daily driver ever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Quick question: What is generally considered a good target GPU temp for a 20-series card?

I rebuilt my PC a week ago - took it down to the loving screws, totally disassembled the case, etc. This was ultimately in service to a CPU upgrade to kick the can on a full system refresh, but I took the opportunity to deep clean everything for dust, un-gently caress my cable routing from probably five years of tinkering and lazy shortcuts, and redid the case cooling. Long story short, this also got me looking at my 2080 again, redid the OC, and now I'm playing with fan curves.

On the one hand I'd like it to not sound like a leaf blower 24/7. It's in the same room as our TV, and if I can keep it quiet for my wife that's a plus. On the other hand I don't want to burn my card out.

Lazy googling has turned up a range of people saying that 100C is totally fine and normal all the way through people making GBS threads bricks if their card gets over 70. My old rule of thumb was that 80 was a good target, but that's sitting right on the knife's edge of where fan speeds start to really kick in and matter. I can keep it under 80 with the fans at 95-100% basically full time, but if I step the fans back to ~80-85% temp overs around the 82/83 ballpark.

edit: the difference between 85 and 95% fans is REALLY noticeable with this card.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 3, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Quick question: What is generally considered a good target GPU temp for a 20-series card?

I rebuilt my PC a week ago - took it down to the loving screws, totally disassembled the case, etc. This was ultimately in service to a CPU upgrade to kick the can on a full system refresh, but I took the opportunity to deep clean everything for dust, un-gently caress my cable routing from probably five years of tinkering and lazy shortcuts, and redid the case cooling. Long story short, this also got me looking at my 2080 again, redid the OC, and now I'm playing with fan curves.

On the one hand I'd like it to not sound like a leaf blower 24/7. It's in the same room as our TV, and if I can keep it quiet for my wife that's a plus. On the other hand I don't want to burn my card out.

Lazy googling has turned up a range of people saying that 100C is totally fine and normal all the way through people making GBS threads bricks if their card gets over 70. My old rule of thumb was that 80 was a good target, but that's sitting right on the knife's edge of where fan speeds start to really kick in and matter. I can keep it under 80 with the fans at 95-100% basically full time, but if I step the fans back to ~80-85% temp overs around the 82/83 ballpark.

edit: the difference between 85 and 95% fans is REALLY noticeable with this card.

I believe 83C is the point at which clock speeds will start dropping on 20-series cards. If it's below that, then it's basically okay, but it sounds like it's pretty loud either way. I would consider opening up the card and cleaning out the heatsink and repasting it. These cards are getting old enough where the paste could be drying out.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cyrano4747 posted:

Reduce power limit to compensate and slow down the fans, the gains from OC probably aren't worth the heat/noise anyway. As far as killing the card or chip, the temperature limits available within common OC tools are totally safe, if the cooler can't handle it the card will simply power/frequency throttle to stay within the temperature limit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1731603583257240027

Things are heating up. The US already did one rapid response rule change to ban more GPUs, they are pretty clearly saying they don't want Nvidia selling any GPUs in China.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You must follow this law.

NO NOT LIKE THAT

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1731603583257240027

Things are heating up. The US already did one rapid response rule change to ban more GPUs, they are pretty clearly saying they don't want Nvidia selling any GPUs in China.

It’s so stupid. China will get whatever they want one way or the other.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you set a line that says "no cards more powerful than this can be sold to China", then it's logical that they'd make China-bound cards that are set to hit that line and go no further

like, what did they expect was going to happen?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Canned Sunshine posted:

It’s so stupid. China will get whatever they want one way or the other.

Will they? Export controls are taken pretty seriously and Chinese companies have already said they're planning like they won't be able to get more GPUs for AI for their own products. It's entirely possible Moore Threads eventually catches up somehow, but they're going to run into the lithography ban as well, and it still gives companies in areas the US likes a big lead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think it's less China will get what it wants and more the massive corporation will sell products to the gigantic market no matter what. This is just going to turn into a hilarious game of whac-a-mole as Nvidia and AMD just make custom cards for the Chinese market to get around every revision of the export ban.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Why did they set the limit so high it's worth it for Nvidia to design new products and China to buy them? Just set it slightly below 4050 and 3.8 GB of VRAM and everyone would be happy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they aren’t “getting around” the export ban, which would be exporting something that was banned. they are complying with the export ban, and selling non-banned products

I think the problem here is that the government really doesn’t know what they do and don’t want to ban. they can’t just say “no GPUs” because then Intel can’t sell most of their CPUs there. if they put a bandwidth limit or computation-power limit on it then China will buy 1.5x of the best available ones and be merrily on their way

(it’s not an easy specification problem)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

they aren’t “getting around” the export ban, which would be exporting something that was banned. they are complying with the export ban, and selling non-banned products

yeah exactly

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gubment stupid, who knew

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

I think it's less China will get what it wants and more the massive corporation will sell products to the gigantic market no matter what. This is just going to turn into a hilarious game of whac-a-mole as Nvidia and AMD just make custom cards for the Chinese market to get around every revision of the export ban.

This is friction and slowdown and likely the expected outcome of the process. Regulators aren't getting owned whenever somebody goes "hurr durr but China can just pay more and take longer to get GPUs"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
another lighting update has hit cp2077

https://twitter.com/GeForce_JacobF/status/1731698210828325263

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cool now put these improvements in rtx remix and release the editor already

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Subjunctive posted:

if they put a bandwidth limit or computation-power limit on it then China will buy 1.5x of the best available ones and be merrily on their way

They just have to set the limits fairly low on what can be sold to China. Something like a 3050Ti + 10% or whatever that is pretty low end. That'll still allow CPUs with iGPUs to be sold but basically kill dGPU sales for anything reasonably powerful fairly easily.

At that point China won't bother buying hardly anything and just pump money into their own accelerator market but it would probably take years for them to match much less beat what AMD, NV, and Intel will be putting out then.

These GPU's aren't like kitchen or home appliance electronics. They're relatively low volume, high cost, and only made by a few manufacturers so locking them down with trade limits is probably fairly doable. Won't be perfect of course, there'll always be gray market sellers happy to sell a 4090 to the Chinese for $20k or whatever, but it doesn't have to be perfect to seriously slow down and degrade any Chinese efforts to use them.

Which is what seems to be the US govt's aim here.

Anything low end is probably going to be fairly VRAM limited anyways. No one is making or buying 6600xt's or 3060's with 32GB of VRAM for a reason. \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 4, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if they wanted to hobble chinas AI capabilities wouldn't it make more sense to cap VRAM capacity rather than compute

you can make up for a lack of compute by just buying more cards, but you can't so easily make up for not being able to fit your working set on each card

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Anything low end is probably going to be fairly VRAM limited anyways. No one is making or buying 6600xt's or 3060's with 32GB of VRAM for a reason. \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

well the reason is that there’s no market for it, but China would present a possible market that might motivate their production

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Subjunctive posted:

I think the problem here is that the government really doesn’t know what they do and don’t want to ban. they can’t just say “no GPUs” because then Intel can’t sell most of their CPUs there. if they put a bandwidth limit or computation-power limit on it then China will buy 1.5x of the best available ones and be merrily on their way

(it’s not an easy specification problem)

That is absolutely the problem

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

repiv posted:

if they wanted to hobble chinas AI capabilities wouldn't it make more sense to cap VRAM capacity rather than compute

you can make up for a lack of compute by just buying more cards, but you can't so easily make up for not being able to fit your working set on each card

Isn't it possible to put more VRAM onto GPUs? I'd assume that a VRAM limit would just result in a pipeline that buys the lowest VRAM version of a card, imports it, then puts more VRAM onto them.

Hell, did you guys see the results of the 16GB 3070: https://videocardz.com/newz/modded-geforce-rtx-3070-with-16gb-memory-gets-major-1-low-fps-boost?

Source video is in Portugese, turns out the 3070 can run the poo poo out of modern games at higher settings if you give it more VRAM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6uaUHBNFOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't it possible to put more VRAM onto GPUs? I'd assume that a VRAM limit would just result in a pipeline that buys the lowest VRAM version of a card, imports it, then puts more VRAM onto them.

it's been done but i'm sure they could lock that down in the VBIOS, and i don't think recent nvidia BIOSes have had their encryption cracked

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there have been a couple of one-off experiments with some modders grafting more RAM onto like a 3070 by using higher capacity chips onto the existing memory "slots" but I don't know if that's a process that you could really do at-scale or if it's stable enough to be worth pursuing

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've seen that Cyberpunk bar scene a bunch of places. Is that supposed to be a benchmark? If so, why does the appearance of every person in it change every time?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

there have been a couple of one-off experiments with some modders grafting more RAM onto like a 3070 by using higher capacity chips onto the existing memory "slots" but I don't know if that's a process that you could really do at-scale or if it's stable enough to be worth pursuing

i wouldn't underestimate the hoops that chinese companies are willing to jump through after that report of them transplanting AD102 packages from gaming cards onto server-friendly PCBs

https://videocardz.com/newz/ai-craz...card-production

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

It's not directly GPU related, but many of the largest internal server vendors and cloud providers in China have been forbidden from buying hard disks for a while now: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/04/seagate-violated-export-ban-by-shipping-7-million-disk-drives-to-huawei-us-says/. I can't help but speculate that this is accelerating the flash transition, there's only 3 hard disk manufacturers in the world and they are all under US export controls, so China has been effectively unable to buy hard disks for a while now.

It must have pushed them off the all-flash cliff sooner than planned.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Arivia posted:

Will they? Export controls are taken pretty seriously and Chinese companies have already said they're planning like they won't be able to get more GPUs for AI for their own products. It's entirely possible Moore Threads eventually catches up somehow, but they're going to run into the lithography ban as well, and it still gives companies in areas the US likes a big lead.

Yeah, it’s this:

njsykora posted:

I think it's less China will get what it wants and more the massive corporation will sell products to the gigantic market no matter what.

Whether it’s NVIDIA and AMD re-designing cards to meet bans, or some company in a non-banned country acting as a middlemen for indirect sales to China, there’s always ways to get around a ban.

Of course, direct sales are much higher volume and you’re not paying a middleman tax, so that’s where the ban hurts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, it’s this:

Whether it’s NVIDIA and AMD re-designing cards to meet bans, or some company in a non-banned country acting as a middlemen for indirect sales to China, there’s always ways to get around a ban.

Of course, direct sales are much higher volume and you’re not paying a middleman tax, so that’s where the ban hurts.

The US Gov is trying to limit back-channeling, the export ban includes a ban to sell to a list of 50 countries that are likely to resell to China.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also you really don’t want to get caught back channeling as a company unless you’re the sort of place that can afford to give zero fucks what the US government thinks.

And if you are, and you get caught, then the other companies that DO have to care won’t want to do business with you either.

Obviously poo poo get through. You’re not going to stop the grey market reseller in Romania passing on used 4080s he grabbed on eBay. But it can really throw a wrench in industrial sized operations that need materials at scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
As much as I hate government overreach, I hope jensen eats up his piss-soaked corn flakes