Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Just curious if there's a consensus on 12 speed chains. It's for grx 820 so I'm assuming KMC VS Shimano. Any big difference in lifespan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
My new cassette arrived today. I got the chain whip the other day. Just waiting on the lock ring tool....

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Math You posted:

Just curious if there's a consensus on 12 speed chains. It's for grx 820 so I'm assuming KMC VS Shimano. Any big difference in lifespan?

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/product/12-speed-chain/

Check the info down in the "description" section - Shimano best for wear but YBN faster??

Edit - more here https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/latest-zero-friction-cycling-news-chain-efficience-vs-longevity/

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Math You posted:

I've learned that the consensus is when you wax it karate kit style your own lifespan becomes the limiting factor over the chains.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Lol that's great

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

I love how hard they committed to the bit here

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Math You posted:

I'm getting a new gravel bike and figured if I were going to switch that'd be the time, but don't want to go through the process every time I ride on crushed gravel.

The point is that you don’t need to go through the process at all after doing it once. Your chain will be fine after crushed gravel.

Hours of heavy rain and mud will wash the wax off eventually, but it’s do far worse to an oiled chain.

vikingstrike posted:

Squirt gets you like 99% of the benefit with no crock pots needed, just a degreasing to start.

Squirt is crap, doesn’t last 100km. There are 10 better drip wax products at this point.

TobinHatesYou posted:

The only scenario where it's iffy is in truly wet/rainy conditions as it's a poor surface protectant. The surface layer will abrade off and it won't redistribute itself on the exterior of the chain, leading to surface rust. This happens somewhat in muddy conditions too, but surface rust is a lesser evil than sand/dirt/etc getting into the chain.

There’s a new UFO Drip for wet conditions that I might try at some point.

There’s also Tru Tension Bananaslip Tungsten all weather, which is a drip wax that reviewed well on bicyclerollingresistance, claims to hold up in the wet and helpfully only needs to set for 5 minutes before use. And it’s cheap.

Generally slightly less clean and oily equals better rust protection.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Platystemon posted:

Microplastics and forever chemicals are bad.

Fluorinated waxes are banned in skiing events now. Cycling needs to catch up.

Is wax a forever chemical?

I’m quite sure that immersion waxing is the cleanest least wasteful lubrication method, considering the lack of repeating chain stripping and drivetrain degreasing, the longer life of components, and the fact that the wax is pretty benign. People burn it.

tarlibone posted:

I love it.

It's amazing how an entire branch of cycling that now features bikes with features that make them look and sometimes cost similar to dirtbikes (the motorcycle variety) started off with people taking heavy junk bikes, fitting gears and brakes to the old steel frame, and running them up and down hills and dirt roads.

Heavy junk bikes? They were just using touring bikes, now rapidly becoming a lost branch in the family tree. As simultaneously people end up recreating them with $500 of strap on bags as ‘bikepacking rigs’

All bikes had steel frames until the 70s.

numberoneposter posted:

any recommendations on baby balance bikes? they all seem pretty similar. my baby in question is 16 months.

Get one used from the local family with a nice one (Does frog exist there?) who’s kid just grew out of theirs, save money, give it away again in a couple of years.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

wooger posted:

Is wax a forever chemical?

I’m quite sure that immersion waxing is the cleanest least wasteful lubrication method, considering the lack of repeating chain stripping and drivetrain degreasing, the longer life of components, and the fact that the wax is pretty benign. People burn it.

No wax is not a forever chemical but PTFE is. Use plain parrafin wax please.
And just because people burn it, doesn't mean it's a good idea to huff it.

A study conducted at South Carolina State University found that with paraffin candles, this combustion process also releases toxic chemicals such as toluene, which is a benzene derivative, a known carcinogen for humans"
Please wax your chain in a well ventilated area and if your wax starts to smoke its too hot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Get one used from the local family with a nice one (Does frog exist there?) who’s kid just grew out of theirs, save money, give it away again in a couple of years.
we received/gave 4? learning bikes before the kids got their own pedal bikes. Friends with offset kids are extremely practical.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

wooger posted:

The point is that you don’t need to go through the process at all after doing it once. Your chain will be fine after crushed gravel.

Hours of heavy rain and mud will wash the wax off eventually, but it’s do far worse to an oiled chain.

Squirt is crap, doesn’t last 100km. There are 10 better drip wax products at this point.

There’s a new UFO Drip for wet conditions that I might try at some point.

There’s also Tru Tension Bananaslip Tungsten all weather, which is a drip wax that reviewed well on bicyclerollingresistance, claims to hold up in the wet and helpfully only needs to set for 5 minutes before use. And it’s cheap.

Generally slightly less clean and oily equals better rust protection.

Which wax lube do you like? I use squirt and toss a bit on before every ride.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

wooger posted:

Heavy junk bikes? They were just using touring bikes, now rapidly becoming a lost branch in the family tree. As simultaneously people end up recreating them with $500 of strap on bags as ‘bikepacking rigs’

Probably talking about the “clunkers” that they fitted balloon tires to and raced down Mt Tam on back in what’s considered the birth of downhill MTBing

Of course off road riding existed before then in general though

Having ridden down Repack on my gravel bike once, that they ripped down that drifting corners is kinda nuts (it’s just a fire road but decently steep with off camber corners)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Levitate posted:

Probably talking about the “clunkers” that they fitted balloon tires to and raced down Mt Tam on back in what’s considered the birth of downhill MTBing

Yeah, I'm talking about the modified clunkers specifically; those were the ones featured in the previously referenced video. They hadn't invented the term "mountain biking" yet, apparently; the narrator referred to the activity as "California clunking."

And yeah, I know all the old bike had steel frames. The operative word in that phrase was "old." I remember my first aluminum bike; I'd never felt anything so light.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wooger posted:

at least surly still understands this

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I’m sorry my experience offends wooger Somehow I’ll survive

For reference, I’ve used Squirt on a 200km with on and off rain without issue. There may be better but it’s not as bad as you sound.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 2, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I honestly just have trouble justifying two more appliances for chain waxing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Crockpot and what? Ultrasonic cleaner?

Yeah don’t get an ultrasonic cleaner just for degreasing chains. It’s way overkill.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Put your chain in a plastic food container, close the lid and shake it while yelling "ULLLLLTRA SOOOOOOOONIC!!!!!" and its just as good.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

n8r posted:

Which wax lube do you like? I use squirt and toss a bit on before every ride.

Squirt (and other wax lubes) needs like 8-12 hours to dry in pretty average conditions, so I hope you mean after every ride.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Can we talk about putting chains on the chainwax some more? The promise of immortal components and forever clean chains with the only trade-off of having to perform some alchemic ritual in my very manly garden shed aka n+1 hideaway sound irresistable. I have a small back-up oven in said man-cave, would an oven with an old baking tray also work instead of a slow cooker ?(I only like to N+1 on bikes, not on kitchen appliances). The oven goes as low as 50C.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

If you have a small dutch oven this could work. You just need to melt the wax before dipping the chain.

Awaiting the Path Less Pedaled video on how wood burning stoves are better for chain waxing. Or over a campfire lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

amenenema posted:

Awaiting the Path Less Pedaled video on how wood burning stoves are better for chain waxing. Or over a campfire lol
you just put the block of wax on your chain and heat it up by friction shifting 10,000 times a second

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You can get a new crock pot for like $20. Mine was $4 at a thrift store. They're probably the easiest and best way to do this. All you do is turn it on, come back later when wax is melted, put chain in there. swirl it around, let it sit for awhile, then hang it up.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

jamal posted:

You can get a new crock pot for like $20. Mine was $4 at a thrift store. They're probably the easiest and best way to do this. All you do is turn it on, come back later when wax is melted, put chain in there. swirl it around, let it sit for awhile, then hang it up.

But we're not al in cheese fondue prevalent countries. Where I'm from this is witchcraft material.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're also called slow cookers

I normally put the chain on top of the wax when everything is still cold so it warms up with the wax, I tell myself this leads to better coverage because all the metal has expanded fully

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
While they're not common kitchen appliances in every country, slow cookers should be easy to get on, say, Amazon. A small (1.5 qt/L) name-brand Crock Pot® is around $30 USD, and off-brand models are less expensive. They're extremely simple devices, so buying the brand name absolutely isn't necessary. You don't even need one with any special features; just a basic slow cooker will work fine.

If you're wax-curious, it's worth the investment--and that's coming from a guy who lubes his chains with 3-In-One® oil. Worst case scenario, you end up not liking waxing your chains, and you clean the pot so you can use it to slow-cook some food, or keep cooked food warm. I won't say that I use my slow cookers all the time, but they get used a few times a year, and every time, it's the perfect cooking appliance for the job.

In fact, we're going to use the big one today for some pot roast.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Any reason people buy a dedicated crock pot and not just use a liner?

https://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Kitchens-Premium-Cooker-Liners/dp/B00IE76Q7M

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can you recycle those?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

Honestly, I'd think that a chain might have a good chance of tearing the liner, defeating the whole purpose of the liner.

Also, a cheap, dedicated, 1.5-qt/L slow cooker doesn't cost very much.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

honda whisperer posted:

because slow cookers are cheap as poo poo, it's not hard to understand

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
You don't have to use a crock pot by any means. A pot on a stove (with a proper low setting, it should be far less than a simmer), will work. Putting a bag in hot water will work. Just because it's easiest doesn't mean you need to talk people into buying something they need to go out of their way to acquire.

Personally I am going to use my wax iron for the memes. If it's good enough for my snowboard it's good enough for my chain!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Waxing is messy. If someone has room for a dedicated waxing crockpot, they absolutely should go that route.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Is a waxed chain going to survive a wet and snowy and salty winter commute of 32kms?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I mean do whatever but after you try waxing a chain in the kitchen you'll probably go get a dedicated crock pot to leave full of wax in the garage/basement/whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

honda whisperer posted:

This seems like it would be messy when the wax solidifies in it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Wait a second--I know what'll convince y'all that you need a dedicated slow cooker for your bicycle chain waxing needs. This is guaranteed to work, and I'm gifting this idea to any businessperson who wants to revolutionize an entire industry.

Just follow these steps:
  1. Secure a deal with a Chinese manufacturer of off-brand slow cookers to purchase a few million units at OEM cost
  2. Have the manufacturer mark and brand them as "BICYCLE CHAIN SOLID LUBRICATION KIT" or something like that
  3. Change the MSRP of the slow cooker bicycle chain solid lubrication kit from $14.95 USD to $84.79 USD
  4. Include 5¢'s worth of plain paraffin with the kit, and add "Next-Gen Solid Chain Lube Included--A $50 Value, FREE!!"
  5. Create a side-business selling plain paraffin at a 1,000× price markup, branded as "Next Gen Solid Chain Lube", and create different packages for each of the major brands of chains, charging more for a catch-all, "universal" next-gen solid chain lube.

Normally, I'd do the whole South Park thing where the penultimate step is "???" and the last step is "Profit!", but let's face it--if you even consider doing what I'm suggesting, you're probably already getting richer. It's not hard to separate a cyclist from their money.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tarlibone posted:

Wait a second--I know what'll convince y'all that you need a dedicated slow cooker for your bicycle chain waxing needs. This is guaranteed to work, and I'm gifting this idea to any businessperson who wants to revolutionize an entire industry.

Just follow these steps:
  1. Secure a deal with a Chinese manufacturer of off-brand slow cookers to purchase a few million units at OEM cost
  2. Have the manufacturer mark and brand them as "BICYCLE CHAIN SOLID LUBRICATION KIT" or something like that
  3. Change the MSRP of the slow cooker bicycle chain solid lubrication kit from $14.95 USD to $84.79 USD
  4. Include 5¢'s worth of plain paraffin with the kit, and add "Next-Gen Solid Chain Lube Included--A $50 Value, FREE!!"
  5. Create a side-business selling plain paraffin at a 1,000× price markup, branded as "Next Gen Solid Chain Lube", and create different packages for each of the major brands of chains, charging more for a catch-all, "universal" next-gen solid chain lube.

Normally, I'd do the whole South Park thing where the penultimate step is "???" and the last step is "Profit!", but let's face it--if you even consider doing what I'm suggesting, you're probably already getting richer. It's not hard to separate a cyclist from their money.

https://www.cyclowax.com/products/clean-chain-starter-kit

Don't buy this.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

... I mean... it's... oh wow.

I just got pwned by reality.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol that it's basically exactly that

Adbot