Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Schmidt in the group as well is even more of the "devastates the SP depth" and full into "who the hell is the rotation next year?" territory.

Maybe this deal can be worked out a couple of weeks from now if the Yankees add some SP depth or the Padres adjust their expectations as guys like Bellinger sign. I dunno. But it definitely feels like giving up 5 AAA/MLB SPs + other top prospects is a loving lot for a team to do in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Soto deal will end up being something like Schmidt, Vasquez, and one more minor league prospect with Soto and Grisham to New York. Money is such a massive factor in this negotiation that I would be shocked if the Padres ended up with a solid number of prospects unless they also dumped the Cronenworth deal on New York too

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Would a team be allowed to negotiate an extension with Soto before a trade is finalized?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

The Soto deal will end up being something like Schmidt, Vasquez, and one more minor league prospect with Soto and Grisham to New York. Money is such a massive factor in this negotiation that I would be shocked if the Padres ended up with a solid number of prospects unless they also dumped the Cronenworth deal on New York too

The issue isn't that the Padres have to cut payroll, it's that the only have like $15 million to spend. Theoretically, they could empty out their farm again and put together a team with Soto. The idea that they're going to take a crappy deal, and a trade built around Schmidt is a crappy deal, is just Yankees fans trying to manifest.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Would a team be allowed to negotiate an extension with Soto before a trade is finalized?

Soto isn't going to sign any extension is the thing, he wants to try free agency (and is a Boras client)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Soto isn't going to sign an extension. He was already offered a record shattering one by the Nats that he turned down, because he and Boras correctly realize that hitting the FA market as a 25 year old HoF talent is going to spark an insane bidding war and bring in a bigger contract than anything he would be offered in extension talks.

He is purely a 2024 rental and if you want him back after that be prepared to bring the biggest briefcase of money to the feeding frenzy next winter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why didn't the Padres non tender Trent Grisham if they are trying to dump his contract?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Why didn't the Padres non tender Trent Grisham if they are trying to dump his contract?

Because they can probably get something for a two-time Gold Glove winning centerfielder.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

I'm disinclined to believe the Padres strictly trying to dump Grisham is the whole story when the only source is Bobbo the clown.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

live with fruit posted:

The issue isn't that the Padres have to cut payroll, it's that the only have like $15 million to spend. Theoretically, they could empty out their farm again and put together a team with Soto. The idea that they're going to take a crappy deal, and a trade built around Schmidt is a crappy deal, is just Yankees fans trying to manifest.

The trade returns for star players have almost always been lovely for the team dealing the star. Look at the Betts deal as an example.

The issue is absolutely money and they can't trade the other mega-extensions they have on payroll. They are eventually going to take a bad deal just to get rid of the money

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

The trade returns for star players have almost always been lovely for the team dealing the star. Look at the Betts deal as an example.

The issue is absolutely money and they can't trade the other mega-extensions they have on payroll. They are eventually going to take a bad deal just to get rid of the money

For as much as people point to the Betts trade, Boston still got two top 100 prospects (graduated, in Verdugo's case) and dumped like $40 million.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am of the opinion that the Jays should trade anyone not on the roster for Soto, even if it's only for a year.

I don't count as Manoah being on the roster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

For as much as people point to the Betts trade, Boston still got two top 100 prospects (graduated, in Verdugo's case) and dumped like $40 million.
yeah I think Boston did fine for 1 year of Betts in the end.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

yeah I think Boston did fine for 1 year of Betts in the end.

I could be remembering wrong but I thought he wanted to stay as long as he got paid what he was worth and Boston cheaped out

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I could be remembering wrong but I thought he wanted to stay as long as he got paid what he was worth and Boston cheaped out

Pretty much, seemed Boston's ownership was trying to pull a Loria and say "alright we got you fans a ring now be grateful and keep buying tickets while we blow it up to save some cash."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And then they did it all over again with Bogaerts.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1731391381640266042

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Signing Ohtani has to be done with the understanding you're going to go well over the tax every year, otherwise it's just going to be an Angels situation all over again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Twin Cinema posted:

I am of the opinion that the Jays should trade anyone not on the roster for Soto, even if it's only for a year.

I don't count as Manoah being on the roster.

Is it actual a rumor that the Padres want Manoah? Not sure why anyone wants a fat rear end in a top hat who is also a reclamation project.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Is it actual a rumor that the Padres want Manoah? Not sure why anyone wants a fat rear end in a top hat who is also a reclamation project.

There had been rumors that they discussed a Grisham/Manoah trade.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs please sign Ohtani, Yamamoto and Bellinger. Is that so much to ask?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Intruder posted:

Signing Ohtani has to be done with the understanding you're going to go well over the tax every year, otherwise it's just going to be an Angels situation all over again

Owners will never do this consistently because of the escalators, they'll always contrive to dip under for 1 year out of every 4 or 5

live with fruit posted:

Yeah I'm sure they were both discussed, in the form of the Blue Jays offering Manoah and the Padres saying "hahahano" and the Padres saying "we want you to take Grisham too" and other teams saying "hahahano." They were discussed!!!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Manoah is still pre-arb and a year removed from a +6 WAR season. He's a decent risk for the Padres to take.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

OK this makes more sense, my rec project for yours.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Manoah is still pre-arb and a year removed from a +6 WAR season. He's a decent risk for the Padres to take.

Manoah got lit up in rookie ball his value is fairly low

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

We have no clue how anyone is valued. There's a reason prospect for player trades often seem to make 0 sense. The private models teams have simply do not align with public ones when it comes to prospect values.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel fairly safe saying Manoah's value is very low compared to where he was as a guy who mentally broke and couldn't even hack it in rookie ball

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Manoah's value being low is even more reason for the Padres to trade for him. Maybe they could get him for Matt Carpenter's corpse.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Popete posted:

Cubs please sign Ohtani, Yamamoto and Bellinger. Is that so much to ask?

wouldn't that require spending money that could be spent on alt right candidates?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
2 of those 3 are alt-righty's at least at the plate

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ohtani prints money so the Cubs signing him would be really bad for democracy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Ohtani prints money so the Cubs signing him would be really bad for democracy.

I've got bad news for you about 29 teams other owners unfortunately.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/FiresideYankees/status/1731435662388207711

If the Padres would only take a worse player, Cashman could wrap this up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol yeah "if you'll take less we'll make the trade" is some funny poo poo

Sydin posted:

Pretty much, seemed Boston's ownership was trying to pull a Loria and say "alright we got you fans a ring now be grateful and keep buying tickets while we blow it up to save some cash."

You mean a *ring :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

live with fruit posted:

:yeah:

People seriously undervaluing team-controlled pitching ITT

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

live with fruit posted:

https://twitter.com/FiresideYankees/status/1731435662388207711

If the Padres would only take a worse player, Cashman could wrap this up.

lol I don’t know who that guy he’s quoting is but if that’s the deal and Cashman doesn’t take it I’m gonna kidnap the governor

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jim Leyland was just elected to the HOF

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Finally Mike Sciosia's time will come

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Wish Lou made it, but that's balanced out by Joe West not making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tony Phillips posted:

Wish Lou made it, but that's balanced out by Joe West not making it.
Never mind, you meant Pinella

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 4, 2023