Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

league of legends players will be happy to know that drakengard december has formally started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
old urgot ult was dumb as hell and new urgot ult is p dope

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The only rework I do not not like is Graves, but that ship has sailed at this point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont like asols rework at all. they took a clunky jank champ nobody plays and made him into a different clunky jank champ nobody plays

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Endorph posted:

i dont like asols rework at all. they took a clunky jank champ nobody plays and made him into a different clunky jank champ nobody plays

But he's a lot cooler with his new ult. The old one was remarkably boring/sad looking.

Also I played both and liked both, but the new one feels like it fits his grandiosity a lot.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Riot has a bad habit of overusing a mechanic when they're convinced that they're really onto something, in ye olde it was "wait, you can make melee heroes viable by giving them sustain and a dash" and now its "what if we made AP Carries come online even slower by giving them a stack minigame"

At least with Kayn being melee range & dependent on ranged/melee heroes it compels the Kayn player to do stupid poo poo you can capitalize on, Veigar/Syndra/Asol/Viktor is just "do the things you already need to do, or they'll get stronger", it was only novel when Veigar had it

Also yeah, old Asol was a balance headache but he was also actually unique with his early ganks at odd angles/inability to use bushes/hyperspecific positioning, newsol is just an AP carry, but his ultimate has two cooldowns.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 1, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest part of new asol is that if a game goes long he starts autoexecuting people at like 25% health

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Asol late game now is just a champ you need to have sustained multiple head injuries to lose with.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ahhh but assassins so scary

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Servaetes posted:

new urgot's update was really good and i like his ult a lot more than a very janky version of a dota hero's ult

most of the reworks are solid i think, maybe the worst ones were aatrox, pantheon and my poor bug skarner. skarner is getting a rework though so i have faith they'll do better than forcing him to carry around dominion as a passive

This is correct.

They should put it on the new crystal drake and make everyone play dominion.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Riot has a bad habit of overusing a mechanic when they're convinced that they're really onto something, in ye olde it was "wait, you can make melee heroes viable by giving them sustain and a dash" and now its "what if we made AP Carries come online even slower by giving them a stack minigame"

At least with Kayn being melee range & dependent on ranged/melee heroes it compels the Kayn player to do stupid poo poo you can capitalize on, Veigar/Syndra/Asol/Viktor is just "do the things you already need to do, or they'll get stronger", it was only novel when Veigar had it

Also yeah, old Asol was a balance headache but he was also actually unique with his early ganks at odd angles/inability to use bushes/hyperspecific positioning, newsol is just an AP carry, but his ultimate has two cooldowns.

Nah, the Syndra/Asol/Viktor stacks are there to make you very annoyed when other people insta clear the wave in ARAM.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Nah, the Syndra/Asol/Viktor stacks are there to make you very annoyed when other people insta clear the wave in ARAM.

Asol stacks you get so long as the minions die in the Death Zone, which makes him even more of an ARAM terror.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Monicro posted:

oh there were some really, REALLY bad posts in the tviv thread

what were they saying

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

league basically removed all the interesting abilities in the game via reworks. urgot ult, asol orbs, etc. everything is just dashes, damage, and skillshots, and some flavor of % health damage.

They got rid of his ORBS!?!

I swear to god one of these days I'm going to check up on how this game is doing and someones going to tell me Karthus' ult isn't global anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I swear to god one of these days I'm going to check up on how this game is doing and someones going to tell me Karthus' ult isn't global anymore.

Well, he still has an orb. Two, arguably.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Endorph posted:

all the game lore is completely contradictory and slapdash

im pretty sure they still reference 'summoners' in some places

I can forgive stuff like old voice lines (takes time and money to correct) but lol at the ping tooltip

Then again this game has such a bad case of spaghetti code that just changing the tooltip will probably cause baron to be untargetable and caitlyn's autos to do double damage

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Quinn still deals double damage with her first ultimate after recalling or respawning

In fact she's had this bug for at least longer than a year, at this point they should just add it to the tooltip.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 3, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The whole "summoner" conceit is still bizarre to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

its a bizarre concept but its even more bizarre that its gone and now theres literally no explanation for what any of this is, if these characters even exist at the same time or place, what a 'summoners rift' or 'nexus' is, etc. the game just exists completely separate from any of its lore, the game is if anything an inconvenience to that lore

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

even at the time, it was a halfassed idea to try and explain the game diegetically, and it's telling that it's one of the only major parts of the old lore that they straight up excised when they did the revamp

Endorph posted:

its a bizarre concept but its even more bizarre that its gone and now theres literally no explanation for what any of this is, if these characters even exist at the same time or place, what a 'summoners rift' or 'nexus' is, etc. the game just exists completely separate from any of its lore, the game is if anything an inconvenience to that lore

trying to explain it at this point probably wouldn't matter that much to anyone - casual players largely ignore the lore as it is, and actual lorehounds were already being driven insane by the runeterran soup that arcane, LoR, and the riot forge games were creating - and so they leave it as a nebulous "all your favorite runeterrans show up for a huge party" deal, like smash bros. with even less handwaving

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 3, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

its still global but hes basically permalocked to the jungle now

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The concept of Summoners is just a thing they ripped from Magic: The Gathering (or anything similar which has played with the meta conceit ala Ellimist). Powerful wizards are engaging in inconsequential magic duels by invoking historical figures [within the setting]. The guy on the other team slinging slurs is actually an intimidating sorceror slinging spells.

Basically, this is League of Legends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNOVqNOLWbc

The funny thing about them going out of their way to retcon Summoners is that they replaced it with....Nothing! They just made the game noncanon for the hell of it. Nothing they've added contradicts the premise of wizards having fake battles with historical figures, and they've no other explanation for "why is Viego fighting Mordekaiser when one of them is trapped in a spirit realm and the other is a statue", or "why is Malphite human-sized". It was just a silly overture so that Riot could say "NOW we're doing serious stories."

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 3, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think that's fine for a multiplayer game though, like did DOTA or Overwatch have lore reasons for what was going on? ...Oh god, did they?!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's never been the same since the journal of justice ended

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

I think that's fine for a multiplayer game though, like did DOTA or Overwatch have lore reasons for what was going on? ...Oh god, did they?!

original DotA had a vague metaplot of the sentinels vs. the scourge, although i don't know how much of that transferred over to valve DotA. OW ostensibly has each of the maps as being a mission the teams are deployed to, although the diegesis doesn't actually make that much sense with how people are teaming up with mortal enemies and the like

i think valorant's the only one that's actually tried to square the circle by making dimensional crossovers a core conceit of the narrative, so jett fighting another jett isn't just a funny quirk of gameplay but an explicit element of worldbuilding

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

The Chad Jihad posted:

team fortress 2 has lore, but it's all absurdly goofy on purpose

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

i mean, its fine for a multiplayer game, but its pretty goofy for a multiplayer game thats trying really hard to have Serious Lore. DoTA 2 and Overwatch put out way less 'story content.' Though Overwatch seems less intentional and more like everyone hated the idea of making stuff for their highly successful game.

its just a little silly for the devs to self-suck about Lore and have spinoff RPGs and comics and stuff and an entire netflix series that won awards and then the source game is if anything a mild embarrassment to those things' existence.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Summoners still exist I believe and the Rift is basically them playing with their action figures.

The Howling Abyss though exists within Runeterra (and is one of the big locations in Song of Nunu) so what ARAM is is anyone’s guess.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DotA 2 gameplay is canonically the two Ancients (Radiant and Dire) running simulations of their final grand fight with infinite permutations of who they manage to take control of and have work for them to determine who will win in their final fight.

Basically they're playing an infinite mental game against eachother until they are satisfied and make the "real" war happen.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd assume that Riot writers feared that Summoners would do what Multiverses do: cheapen the brand & the weight of the story by rendering everyone replaceable. They're entirely wrong, but I get the concern.

Just as in MtG the events of the world have happened, they're not being rewritten on a whim. Summoners are wargame nerds moving German & Russian tanks around on a table, WW2 still happened.

If anything it enriches the universe by offering the opportunity for the audience to engage themselves with the story; you're right there, a twiggy nerd apprentice in a vague future wizard world, observing and demonstrating your mastery of the world's heroes. A player who knows everything about the game in-universe becomes equitable to a venerated historian. Faker is Dumbledore.

Lord_Magmar posted:

DotA 2 gameplay is canonically the two Ancients (Radiant and Dire) running simulations of their final grand fight with infinite permutations of who they manage to take control of and have work for them to determine who will win in their final fight.

This is a great premise because it makes the bickering about meta, demands to harm certain heroes, winrate spreadsheet websites all facets of the story. When you argue about how Muerte is way too powerful to not pick/ban, you're acting out Radiant's internal debate.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 4, 2023

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I think like one Runeterra cards has a joke about Summoners being Wizard gods that never leave their cave, so they might exist but they're such big nerds no one would ever know.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the old writing wasnt good by any standard (he jests until someone dies, and then he laughs), but gragas being a guy who accidentally made himself huge brewing magic beer and going to the local town/tavern once a month before getting assaulted by the entire patronage of the bar for being big and rowdy, or maokai being a normal tree who slaughtered all the wizards who accidentally re-animated him during a match of twisted treeline because he doesnt like being sentient are a thousand times more interesting, even if by accident, than the utterly banal and tedious fantasy schlock they vomit out nowadays

edit: on the other hand, i guess if i were an executive, id have been sort of annoyed that my entire writing team produced two journal of justice articles (before stopping them because they were... too much effort? it certainly wasnt a quality thing because nothing they've written has ever been good) and a handful of excruciatingly bad judgements every year and literally nothing else for years on end

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 4, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That's not true one of them also wrote themselves as dating nidalee and also possibly janna

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The old lore spilled into League of Legends with the same tenacity that it spilled into the brains of its writers, both taxed to contain it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

The Chad Jihad posted:

That's not true one of them also wrote themselves as dating nidalee and also possibly janna

and married to ashe, let's not forget

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the subject of Summoners and DotA2, a few of Valve's recent design choices for their flagship tournaments are close to what I imagine a League of Legends that leaned into "all the players & fans are wizards doing re-enactments" would look like:

The League tourney stages don't necessarily look bad, but they have a more clean, techno look that feels designed for a universe where the cyberpunk skins are the defaults.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Taciturn Tactician posted:

and married to ashe, let's not forget

That's not as weird because Ashe is named after his wife.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DOTA 2 tournaments look like I'd expect a tournament for a game that supposedly has less than 10 people actively working on it and also loving sucks would look like but I do wish Riot would bring back the minimap floor screen they also used for a few years at Worlds.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Whatever happened to that new map riot showed off once with the giant spiders.

It just got silently killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
They spent so much time bug fixing it every patch they just killed it instead.