Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Inept posted:

Yes, but the existing apps aren't written in react, and if they're moving away from Android, they're likely to stop working if they don't get updated.

I wasn't trying to be sneaky, no need to be snarky

Sorry i wasnt trying to be snarky to you, i was trying to find pros/cons on considering Apple hardware and got weird replies. It (AppleTV) is better off than i thought but not really better or more ideal than the device i have (amazon) today.

Looking for other options because it seems they will get worse eventually which your article points out might be sooner than expected. The other weird posts on apple stuff up thread threw me off on your intent. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chillmatic posted:

Also a youtube premium subscription is worth it at full price and then some. Between youtube and plex no one in my family ever sees any advertisements and never has to think about their existence, which owns.

Also Youtube Music. I cannot be assed to try and curate enough of a music collection to replace it with Plexamp, especially not for my wife and kid who regularly just play music on Google Home.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also Youtube Music. I cannot be assed to try and curate enough of a music collection to replace it with Plexamp, especially not for my wife and kid who regularly just play music on Google Home.

Yeah if you were to drop Spotify or Apple music for YouTube premium, it is a steal with YouTube music included and ad free YouTube.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That Works posted:

I'm asking if they have purposefully broken devices by forcing an iOS upgrade that renders the device now unable to use the apps that are installed on it. A thing that has happened in the past for other iOS devices. Why you are being hostile about this is a mystery, :chillpill:

I'd not considered AppleTV, because I am averse to buying their hardware due to that situation. Knowing it is not an issue makes it slightly better as an option. Not having the ability to block youtube ads though also largely takes it off the table (at least for now) since I can stop the Fire Stick from playing ads and use SmartTube and not view youtube ads either.

It sounds like you got burned by one of those gen 1 iPads or something? I’m honestly trying to remember what you’re talking about.

Apple provides software updates longer than any other hardware manufacturer and doesn’t break devices so you can’t download apps lol. The iPhone 6S came out in 2015 and got iOS 16 last year.

There does come a point where apps require the latest iOS update because they take advantage of modern APIs, which kinda sucks I guess, but 7 years is a long time to get OS updates…

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 3, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That Works posted:

I've only had it happen to me with iPads and no other android or other product.

Wonder if you got really unlucky in a super specific circumstance. My current iPad is about to turn 5 years old, and it runs so nicely it feels I’d swear I’d just bought it new. Current version of iOS etc.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wonder if you got really unlucky in a super specific circumstance. My current iPad is about to turn 5 years old, and it runs so nicely it feels I’d swear I’d just bought it new. Current version of iOS etc.

In 2017, Apple had to admit they where doing exactly what the guy is saying to iphones

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
It's true that Apple slowed old phones with the reason given being aging batteries. The AppleTV doesn't have a battery so that's unlikely to become an issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EVIL Gibson posted:

In 2017, Apple had to admit they where doing exactly what the guy is saying to iphones

Funnily enough, the phone they released in that year could still run the latest version of iOS back up to September of this year. 6 years of support is not bad for a cellphone, and I can’t imagine many other manufacturers giving that level of support for what’s seen as a disposable device once you’re out of the usual 2-3 year contract. I know a lot of people replace their phones within that too as they have already lost support.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

All of the companies will gently caress you over to make more money. Just buy the thing that works best for you without worrying about what they might break later because they've all been guilty of it.

see also: tiffs with media companies that get apps removed/deactivated because they're all greedy as gently caress.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

How is "..by forcing an iOS upgrade that renders the device now unable to use the apps that are installed on it. A thing that has happened in the past for other iOS devices." the same as throttling a device's performance to prevent shutdowns when the battery degrades the same thing? Apps are still functional, so I'm pretty confused at what this guy is saying happened to his iOS device.

Apple certainly should have been more forthcoming with the battery changes they made, but wikipedia states:

"Some have argued that introducing a feature to prevent handsets with degraded batteries from rebooting is in fact the opposite of planned obsolescence since a slower non-rebooting phone would be preferable to the alternative.

The controversy first emerged in late-2016, when it was reported that since a recent iOS update, some iPhone handsets had begun to experience unexpected shutdowns when their battery capacity reached 30%, caused by drops in the battery's terminal voltage below a threshold of around three volts required for operation of the device."

Hate Apple for whatever reason you want (lack of sideloading, expensive), but their devices tend to have a longer lifespan and support than most traditional Windows & Android laptops, tablets, and phones with less instances of shoving ads in your face like in Windows, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and such.

I got my AppleTV 4k 5 or 6 years ago and it's snappier than any Google TV or Roku I've used (although I did buy a newer remote for it). The only limit it has is it can't directly play lossless audio like TrueHD in Plex. If you don't care about that, it's a great purchase.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 3, 2023

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

https://www.politico.eu/article/apple-fined-e25m-in-france-for-misleading-consumers-about-slowed-down-iphones/ posted:

FEBRUARY 7, 2020 12:32 PM CET

France's consumer protection body hit Apple with a €25 million fine Friday for failing to inform consumers that updating their iPhone's operating system would slow down the device.

"When they couldn't go back to an older version of their operating system, a lot of consumers were forced to change their batteries and even buy a new phone," said the directorate general for competition, consumers and fraud control (DGCCRF), which is attached to the ministry of economy.

:woz:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I love that Apple implementing a solution to aging batteries is this huge gotcha :rolleyes:. Their solution actually extended the lifespan of the device for many users, because the phone would just shutdown altogether if they hadn't:

"Some have argued that introducing a feature to prevent handsets with degraded batteries from rebooting is in fact the opposite of planned obsolescence since a slower non-rebooting phone would be preferable to the alternative."

You can still use any app on your iPhone 6s with an old lovely battery my man.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 3, 2023

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
[quote = "Corb3t" post = "536312495"]
I love that Apple implementing a solution to aging batteries is this huge gotcha: rolleyes:. Their solution actually extended the lifespan of the device for many users, because the phone would just shut down altogether if they hadn't:

"Some have argued that introducing a feature to prevent handsets with degraded batteries from rebooting is in fact the opposite of planned obsolescence since a slower non-rebooting phone would be preferable to the alternative."

You can still use any app on your iPhone 6s with an old lovely battery, my man.
[/ quote]

I like during these utter poo poo flinging arguments, we all just can't come together with a single answer and just make all batteries the easiest to replace. Apple, Google, Samsung, whatever :newfap:

Oops, can't have that for any!

Edit: and before anyone brings up Apple Self Repair, no. Submitting IMEI/Serial should not be a requirement lol

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 3, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chillmatic posted:

Also a youtube premium subscription is worth it at full price and then some. Between youtube and plex no one in my family ever sees any advertisements and never has to think about their existence, which owns.

No, no it isn't. It's worth it to keep adblocking them so loving hard that Google surrenders and all the content creators have to go out and get real jobs.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Corb3t posted:

I love that Apple implementing a solution to aging batteries is this huge gotcha :rolleyes:. Their solution actually extended the lifespan of the device for many users, because the phone would just shutdown altogether if they hadn't:

You can still use any app on your iPhone 6s with an old lovely battery my man.

You can stop shilling now, nobody is going to be convinced by a "Some have argued" quote from Wikipedia, which should probably be flagged and removed since there's no citation, which means "some have argued" is a euphemism for the contributor's personal shill opinion.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
weird vibes in here

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Late stages of Plex enshittification wherein the thread starts eating itself.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

cruft posted:

Google will no longer let you Chromecast if you aren't using the default launcher (Amazon won't let you use any other launcher).

The other day I realized that if you disable most of the ads on the Google launcher with their double-secret "apps only (plus one ad)" mode, the assistant button pops up a message saying it doesn't work "yet".

So... yes.

Chromecast Ultra was the last good one (no ads, no remote, ethernet, 4k60). It'd be great to have a streaming stick that could act as a receiver for Google Cast and Airplay, heck throw Miracast support on there too. I assume there are license fees for all of that though.

Corb3t posted:

VPN to the Ukraine. Sign up for YouTube Premium Family and share with friends/goons for $4 a month. Enjoy ad-free YouTube everywhere without dealing with extensions or third party apps.

Thanks for this! Super easy with UrbanVPN browser extension.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I used android from the G1 to the Pixel 2 and swapped to an iPhone when there was nothing wrong with my pixel 2, yet it stopped receiving security updates. I thought it was garbage that I couldn’t continue safely using my phone which was otherwise perfectly functional. Meanwhile my wife was using the same iPhone she had had for like 4 years and it was still getting the latest updates.

Switching to an ios device was kind of like moving from Florida. You don’t really realize how much better things can be until you’ve gone ahead and made the change. You’d gotten so used to living with your situation that some of the downsides stopped registering as such. People still where you were can’t comprehend why you made the switch because they too are blind to what’s holding them back. It’s not worth trying to convince them, they’ll just make excuses for why it’s not that bad, actually.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Switching to an ios device was kind of like moving from Florida. You don’t really realize how much better things can be until you’ve gone ahead and made the change.

I've used an iPhone and Pixel at the same time for years and I disagree.

It's weird that we've imported this pointless incessant argument into this thread.

I remember writing a on opinion piece on this same dumb crap in 1990. I got a C.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
JFC, stop talking about Apple products

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wayne Knight posted:

Switching to an ios device was kind of like moving from Florida.

I use iOS and macOS devices while living in Florida, keeping my life as balanced as possible. My 2018 Intel Mac Mini is still just a great Plex server that until this week was also my primary box for all stuff, and handles things like a champ. Tiny footprint for 100TB and super capable.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wait what the gently caress do you have with it exactly to have 100tb of storage?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

I've used an iPhone and Pixel at the same time for years and I disagree.

It's weird that we've imported this pointless incessant argument into this thread.

I remember writing a on opinion piece on this same dumb crap in 1990. I got a C.

Janitors gonna janitor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

univbee posted:

Wait what the gently caress do you have with it exactly to have 100tb of storage?

I use Terramaster DAS’, a 5 bay and a 4 bay. Mixture of drive sizes, but all the bays are full right now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use Terramaster DAS’, a 5 bay and a 4 bay. Mixture of drive sizes, but all the bays are full right now.

Are those setup as JBOD? I've read Terramaster's software is garbo on Mac.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have a problem with the USB connection?

I have the 4-bay one, and if I try to do to >2 large file transfers, or large transfer while watching on Plex, they just drop connection to my computer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use this exact same enclosure on my Raspberry Pi! :hfive:

I took it out of the aluminum case because the case acted like the soundboard on a guitar, making everything super loud.

Inept posted:

OP called them a "DAS", so, yes, they'd be set up as a JBOD: at least, in my understanding of what "JBOD" means: "Just a Bunch Of Disks", like, no hardware RAID.

I've got btrfs on mine and it's great.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
100TB+ crew, checking in. Synology, single SHR-2 volume, 4x 18TB + 4x 22TB drives, all WD Reds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 4, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Inept posted:

All individual disks yeah. The 5 bay version I think has the ability to RAID the first two bays, but I don’t use it.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Do you have a problem with the USB connection?

I have the 4-bay one, and if I try to do to >2 large file transfers, or large transfer while watching on Plex, they just drop connection to my computer.

I’ve never had it drop connections, but I’ll admit sometimes doing drive to drive copies I sometimes hit a combination it doesn’t love and it doesn’t move as fast as you’d thing.

cruft posted:

I use this exact same enclosure on my Raspberry Pi! :hfive:

Ha :hfive: indeed, they’re solid enclosures for the money. I slightly prefer the 4 bay due to the tool less disk mounting and I find the fan setup a bit better.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FCKGW posted:

AppleTV stays winning

I originally targeted audio bitstream support, so the Shield is the only option that supports TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

Also, after testing with some playback, I can't even notice a difference....so there is that.

Also, I am fully engrained in the Android ecosystem, so it made sense. Other than Google randomly loving with us, I'm still very happy with the Shield.

Chillmatic posted:

youtube premium

This entirely. Family plan shared with a few friends/family.

Why don't cheap similar sized devices exist with a SAS connection in the back? I'm slowly hacking together a small rack mount monstrosity set-up to fulfill my desires.

It's a coin flip if this will end up burning down my house eventually.

Moey fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 4, 2023

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly no, it’s always done this. See it as a double reminder to finish your films completely!

Great news! There's a way to fix this using the Editions tags in Plex. I just tested by manually adding a tag, closing/reopening the client on my PC and even checking from an AppleTV. Only one (correct) instance of the movie showing. Just need to update radarrs file naming scheme to match the Plex guidelines to fix the rest. Haven't attempted to use this for the intended use case (differing cuts of movies) but it works to handle this as well.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Is there a way to stop Plex from randomly changing cover art? I’m picky when it comes to having the original art for a title but Plex seems to think they know what’s best for me by changing it to some complete different one. I’m tired of having to manually change them back.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug
Manually setting the cover art on content locks it into place. I don't know of a way to lock in the entire library in its current state though and the only other approach I can think would be to save cover art to the content directory per the Plex Local Media Assets naming conventions which seems like an even bigger chore for a substantial library.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dr. Poz posted:

Great news! There's a way to fix this using the Editions tags in Plex.

Ha! I use Edition tagging but never thought of doing it for 4K. That’s super smart.

E: Just saw this come up on the Plex Facebook group too, I know your sources now ;)

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Bloopsy posted:

Is there a way to stop Plex from randomly changing cover art? I’m picky when it comes to having the original art for a title but Plex seems to think they know what’s best for me by changing it to some complete different one. I’m tired of having to manually change them back.

I think a recent update might have broken some stuff. I never had a problem with this, but within the last week or so, it's been happening a lot. Also, I now have to manually do a "Scan Library Files" every time I add something new to my Plex folders. It doesn't automatically pick up the changes anymore. I feel like that happens like every 15 months or so and eventually it sorts itself out with an update, but it's annoying while it's happening.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Save the artwork alongside the media file

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha! I use Edition tagging but never thought of doing it for 4K. That’s super smart.

E: Just saw this come up on the Plex Facebook group too, I know your sources now ;)

A few months ago I dipped my toes in some other groups and they were all so much worse across the board. Surprisingly this group has been decent.

Just got radarr automation figured out and working. Create a custom format for 4k, include custom formats in the filename with {edition-{Custom.Formats}}, rename all and done.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Hey all just wanted to say thanks for the help, after looking into the transcoding on my wife's laptop or didn't turn out to be that, it actually was the poor wifi receiver built into the cheap laptop we are using. In retrospect it seems obvious but now it's all fixed and working great!
Thank you for helping my wife watch tv at work instead of working, you've all done a great thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Anybody else having issues with light banding in the last few releases of PMS? Last night I tried to upgrade from Version 1.32.5.7349 to the latest public release since it seemed like they were messing around with hardware transcoding on Linux/GeminiLake and that's what I use. But when I transcode something I get messed up light artifacts:

Banding on 1.32.8.7639:

After rolling back to 1.32.5.7349:

Even on 1.32.8 if I play it at full 1080 quality (which I can't do remotely without buffering) the banding is gone, it's just there when I transcode down to a lower resolution.