Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

2. Mum died a suitably horrible and painful death, and I found out I'm mostly disinherited - going from a 50/50 split with my brother to what I thought was a 33/33/33 split to include the nephew to a 41/41/8 split with me getting the ~8%.

Sorry about your mum (I think?!?), and definitely sorry about you getting screwed over. But why 8% specifically? Like why not just gently caress you over down to zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I'm glad to have you back, fuctifino, I was wondering if you'd just given up on the forum in disgust.

Ta. I've been lurking. I was given a 30 dayer shortly after the ban, (and after the other probations for the same thing), and that ran out an hour ago. I'm still wondering if I'll be hit with another probe for it

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry about your mum (I think?!?), and definitely sorry about you getting screwed over. But why 8% specifically? Like why not just gently caress you over down to zero?
Don't be sorry about her. She wasn't a good influence on my life and there will be one less Tory voter at the next GE. The 8% is based on what I think the estate is worth. I have a set cash amount, £25k, which is enough to throw me off of any benefits, but not enough to actually do anything long-term with it. I think it's also an amount that is enough to make it very hard to contest. She was a oval office, and I don't doubt she did her homework.

If she'd totally disinherited me, then I could have probably easily found a no-win no-fee lawyer to take it on for 50% of what I'd almost definitely win, which could have been 50% or 33% of the estate. There are added protections for disabled children in probate.

I'm going to see if I can shove that money into a trust and spend it on care or medicine or something, but it'll be ages before I get any of the money so I have time to research it.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 3, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think I could inherit from my dead mum like essentially 90% while my brother gets the leftovers and not just gently caress that off and re divvy up the money.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

Sprouts have recently been rebred to lose the bitter taste and taste more like broccoli and kohlrabi and other green stem vegetables, so that may be them as well as you.

Well it didn't loving work did it? They need to try again.

OwlFancier posted:

I think honestly he could lose just about everyone as long as he's still perceived as less bad than the tories in whatever way people want to define "bad"

There is no alternative through the electoral system, you get him or you get the tories. One of them has to win even if everyone stays home.

Not with that attitude! You have to believe in yourself, and more importantly, in Sinn Fein!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There are a bunch of things that don't count toward the savings limit bullshit, you just need to find them or get an accountant who knows.

I don't think Vanguard accounts count (because they're not savings, they're ✨iNvEsTmEnTs✨), and it would give you a bit of a passive income.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think I could inherit from my dead mum like essentially 90% while my brother gets the leftovers and not just gently caress that off and re divvy up the money.

I explained to the brother in the phone call that him and his son were both working in good jobs, and this was the only chunk of money that I would ever get in my lifetime, bar winning the lottery. I also highlighted that mum is completely disrespecting Dad's wishes etc. etc.

"We have already taken legal advice, and we are going to honour mum's wishes [to continue to inflict her abuse on you after her death]"

I also don't get any of my stuff. There are photos, videos of school performances, vinyl, tapes and CDs of music I played on from 30+ years ago, as well as a box or two of stuff from my school and college days in the attic. There's a good chance they'll be binned out of malice.

Families are loving weird. I envy people who come from functional families.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 3, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Relatives are just random people you get stuck with for a long time, no reason they have to be nice people.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do you have your dad's wishes recorded anywhere? That might be grounds to contest the will if you do.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Families now compete with each other instead of cooperating. I mean, not all of them, and it is something that always existed, but as a general trend of capitalism yeah.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Atomisation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ehhh, I'm not sure I would call historical familial organizations exactly harmonious when half the members were legally property.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

fuctifino posted:

My sentence is up! :toot:

A few things happened during my month of penance:

1. The twitter troll group that I helped formed turned out to be filled with a load of tankies, so I instantly killed it with fire and deactivated my twitter account. My faith in society diminished somewhat, as I can't understand how people can be so pro-Gaza and anti genocide, yet be pro-Russia and pro their genocide against Ukraine.

It's cause they consider America Bad to be an acceptable substitute for principles, hth

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

From what I understand the laws around inheritance are very different in France where they dictate fair shares between siblings. Certainly with property.

I might be totally wrong, but that's where my parents live now and it's what they said. Although I wasn't really listening.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Ehhh, I'm not sure I would call historical familial organizations exactly harmonious when half the members were legally property.

That came about because of agriculture. Along with less nutrition resulting in shorter humans, and a complete loss of leisure and freedom, not to mention the invention of land as private property

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do you have your dad's wishes recorded anywhere? That might be grounds to contest the will if you do.

They would have been recorded in old wills, but the chances of those surviving anywhere would be slim, and there would be no way for me to access them. The nephew has been named as executor. Outside of those wills, Dad told me his wishes in phone calls. There are also other things, like he wanted the UK101, computer that he built in 1980 to go to a computer museum. That'll probably end up on ebay or in a skip.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 3, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The real invention of civilisation was when the human fossils start showing signs of community care, like someone who survived a long time after breaking their leg and having it set. Way before gathering into cities and inventing slavery.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 3, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

They would have been recorded in old wills, but the chances of those surviving anywhere would be slim, and there would be no way for me to access them. The nephew has been named as executor. Outside of those wills, Dad told me his wishes in phone calls. There are also other things, like he wanted the UK101, computer that he built in 1980 to go to a computer museum. That'll probably end up on ebay or in a skip.

If there was probate on your dad's Will then it will be on public record (probate though is not always necessary depending on size of estate).

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03194/

There's a link on this link to download a pdf 'Obtaining a copy of a will"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If there was probate on your dad's Will then it will be on public record (probate though is not always necessary depending on size of estate).

I already did a probate search, and I guess the size of the estate (£350k'ish) and the fact that my mum had already been given power of attorney due to Dad's dementia means there was no recorded will

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotJustANumber99 posted:

From what I understand the laws around inheritance are very different in France where they dictate fair shares between siblings. Certainly with property.

I might be totally wrong, but that's where my parents live now and it's what they said. Although I wasn't really listening.

Netherlands is the same, you straight up cannot disinherit your children.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sadly it sounds like one of those battles you're never going to win and will be detrimental to your health to focus on too much.

But at the same time, if it was a movie, you'd go to the funeral and force the vicar or whatever to let you speak and just lay into every fucker.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've pretty much given up hope of getting any more than the £25k, and I'm pretty certain they will try to shaft me of that too, but that would be a fight that I would eventually win.

I am contemplating going to the funeral, and doing exactly what you suggest (recorded on a 360 cam) but I also suspect they are not going to publicly announce it or tell me about it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I've been told it's why there's so many derelict rural run down properties in France where they've been split so many times between family that no one can agree what to do with them that they just end up blocked and left to ruin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But at the same time, if it was a movie, you'd go to the funeral and force the vicar or whatever to let you speak and just lay into every fucker.
If you're going down that path, go to one of those degree mills in Georgia that makes you an instant bishop and then turn up with a big mitre and a shepherd's stick and an orange with some sweets in.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've been told it's why there's so many derelict rural run down properties in France where they've been split so many times between family that no one can agree what to do with them that they just end up blocked and left to ruin.

I remember some lecture or other I had years ago on land ownership being told that during the French Revolution, every peasant was given a strip of land and this has subsequently caused a lot of similar problems.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

SixFigureSandwich posted:

In Finland you can, but it has to be due to a court-approved major reason, something like "murdered someone" or "beat up the people they would stand to inherit".
Gender, politics and identity are especially not valid reasons.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My French ex's family had a large townhouse family home in Burgundy that was built by a relative in the 1700's. It hadn't been lived in full time for 15 years, after the great grandmother moved to a care home on the other side of the river, so it was used as a vacation home by the extended family. This was over 20 years ago, but property over there just didn't hold any value. Less than a third of the houses in the town were occupied full time, and a good third were derelict and/or abandoned.

The place next door was also part of the family complex, but had been bought out by one of the relatives. We got offered the 80m2 attic flat in there for 9,000 euros. The 12 bedroom 2-wing townhouse with river frontage that was used as the holiday home was eventually sold when the elderly relative died in the care home, and I don't think it went for much more than 100,000 euros.

e:

Those three houses used to be all owned by the family, and there was a barn/house complex behind too, and it was still all one complex a few years before I visited for the first time.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 3, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

take the 25g and move to france?

I guess brexit hosed that

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

otherwise normal, functional family units can fall apart as soon as theres money to be had from an estate to settle. Cash sums like that suddenly being within grasping distance make people go nuts

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Nice to see you back func.

And yeah, one sniff of money and families goto poo poo.
My dad had a breakdown over relatives trying to gently caress us over in inheritances.
gently caress them, take care of your own, smile and be nice to them, and watch them die alone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Congrats on your dead ma, fuctifino.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

My pal enjoys telling the story from his grandparents funeral, when cousin's he hadn't seen in decades crawled out of the woodwork to rend their garments only to find out all the money was being split between the family member's who'd looked after her and a local charity. They didn't even bother to stay for the wake.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Sounds like a lovely situation all round, but unfortunately yeah the best thing to do is probably just to accept the facts and the balance of probabilities, and move on, rather than tying yourself up in knots over it (which you don't seem to be doing tbf).

There's a guy I know who got hosed out of his inheritance by a romance scammer (young guy moved in with his elderly mum, got her to change her will, then cashed in when the inevitable happened), and although he did eventually get some more money via the courts, the toll that the legal battle took on his physical and mental health was appalling.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

man even if I was a chancer I'd at least spend some time with family I hadn't seen in decades

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It's not just families. Any group of people can be torn apart by money, no matter how good natured they are at the outset. Did some work administering a club of [sport] enthusiasts once. They'd been given a phone book number bequest and boy did that stoke some rows.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i would defo do a fraud and gently caress everyone over, family and friends. But its a morally large number to do so

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Congrats on your dead ma, fuctifino.

:toot:

It's better for my mental health to chalk it all up to bad luck and move on. My brother and his son are going to burn through that money buying expensive cars and posh holidays, and when the son realises that his dad has no money left, he will ditch him too. I'm just glad I didn't seem to inherit the same narcissism. gently caress the money (though it would have been nice to buy a canal boat)....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fuctifino posted:

"We have already taken legal advice,

There can’t be many phrases someone can utter that say more about them than this one

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its also usually bollocks

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JoylessJester posted:

My pal enjoys telling the story from his grandparents funeral, when cousin's he hadn't seen in decades crawled out of the woodwork to rend their garments only to find out all the money was being split between the family member's who'd looked after her and a local charity. They didn't even bother to stay for the wake.

My family did something similar but when the person was still alive.
My grandmother had a really bad stroke, and while we were in the hospital they turned up and were 'clearing space for the wake' which involved moving all the expensive looking poo poo to their house.
She survived for another half a year, and they 'helped again' for the wake with the rest disappearing never to be seen again.
My grandfather was still alive at the time and sill there in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

And yeah, one sniff of money and families goto poo poo.
Feeling a bit thankful that the less functional parts of my family just got into lovely outdoor spats during wakes and weddings, all this lawyers and paperwork stuff sounds like far more of a hassle than someone just getting a bit drunk and racist out front until they get a flat nose and go off home and never do it again.