Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Since we’re also discussing: does anyone know if 30 Rock actually has a CCTV setup where the various stages can be viewed for rehearsals as depicted in the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
One thing I've always loved about 30 Rock is they rarely actually showed us TGS sketches. We often see maybe the start or end of an episode/sketch, as well as random clips or flashes of weird characters in costumes, but that's about it. A lesser show would LOVE to have the excuse of just showing "bad comedy sketch" as a time-filler for a few minutes each episode, but 30 Rock was above that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DrBouvenstein posted:

One thing I've always loved about 30 Rock is they rarely actually showed us TGS sketches. We often see maybe the start or end of an episode/sketch, as well as random clips or flashes of weird characters in costumes, but that's about it. A lesser show would LOVE to have the excuse of just showing "bad comedy sketch" as a time-filler for a few minutes each episode, but 30 Rock was above that.

While there are many reasons it failed, this was listed (by Speinwall maybe, I think) as one of the biggest for why Studio 60 flamed out so fast. They were trying to write two shows at the same time and make funny/interesting bits while 30 Rock was just like "here's Fart Doctor".

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Josh to the stage, please, for "Homophobic Gays"

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Duck

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hey, that was $10!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

swickles posted:

While there are many reasons it failed, this was listed (by Speinwall maybe, I think) as one of the biggest for why Studio 60 flamed out so fast. They were trying to write two shows at the same time and make funny/interesting bits while 30 Rock was just like "here's Fart Doctor".

I love the episode where Tracy and Twofer finally come to an understanding and work together on an amazing skit.... and then Tracy decides at the last minute he wants to do the skit where the lady in the kitchen farts so much it expands her dress instead. Twofer is shocked, then watches Tracy flailing about and farting and goes,"....actually, this is way funnier." :allears:

Edit: The best "skit" though is the one where the cast dress up as robots, then Dr. Spaceman races onto the set and starts wailing punches on Jenna to save her life.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 28, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Me want food

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: The best "skit" though is the one where the cast dress up as robots, then Dr. Spaceman races onto the set and starts wailing punches on Jenna to save her life.

JENNA NEEDS TO SLEEP OR SHE'S GOING TO DIE

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Prince William and Prince: Time-traveling Fart Detectives

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, now that I've finished the show...

Grassy Knowles posted:

quote:

We all know how things ended between Criss and Liz Lemon but at least we can admit he did a pretty good job as a housewife

Um what?

Seriously, what!?! :confused:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jerusalem posted:

Also, now that I've finished the show...

Seriously, what!?! :confused:

Right?!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Haaaaaaaaammmm

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Workin' on my night cheese

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My single my single is dropping is dropping

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

swickles posted:

Poque posted:

Josh to the stage, please, for "Homophobic Gays"

Jerusalem posted:

I love the episode where Tracy and Twofer finally come to an understanding and work together on an amazing skit.... and then Tracy decides at the last minute he wants to do the skit where the lady in the kitchen farts so much it expands her dress instead. Twofer is shocked, then watches Tracy flailing about and farting and goes,"....actually, this is way funnier." :allears:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

And in the live show when she (for unexplained reasons) is like a Lady Gaga alien-thing.

Missing in the caption but I love the emphasis on,
"The BIG one"!

So we know Jenna has mis-matched nipples/areola.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Why do you have a monster claw?!

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

What’s wrong, Ken? You’ve got wife-eyes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

So we know Jenna has mis-matched nipples/areola.

It was an ADULT picture.... for once they were facing the same direction!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

You know how hard it is to get teenagers out of bed in the morning

Well yes but not in the way you’re talking about

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
There are four things I want to do this summer, but they’re roommates so it’s tricky.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrBouvenstein posted:

They were actually going to have the sketches available to view on NBC.com, but they quickly decided it'd be too much work/too expensive to film real skits as well as the show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Why don't Catholics eat meat on Fridays? I'll tell you why: because the Pope owns Long John Silvers."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Davros1 posted:

They were actually going to have the sketches available to view on NBC.com, but they quickly decided it'd be too much work/too expensive to film real skits as well as the show.

This was certainly a good call -- the in-show running joke that TGS is unwatchable garbage produces far more laughs in the long-term than a couple of semi-canon sketches that would inevitably be lost to internet entropy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loved it when Liz had her and Jenna do one of their old skits for the crew to prove a point to Tracy, and everybody laughed their asses off before Frank genuinely complimented Liz on how funny it was... then asked,"So how come the show we do now sucks?"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Why don't Catholics eat meat on Fridays? I'll tell you why: because the Pope owns Long John Silvers."

Karl Robe, you say?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sash! posted:

Karl Robe, you say?
You know someone named Arsenio Billingham?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

You know someone named Arsenio Billingham?
No.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

It's farting! Farting like a Turk!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd have watched Black Frasier if it was a real show. I mean, Frasier's upstairs neighbor was Black Frasier.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Loved it when Liz had her and Jenna do one of their old skits for the crew to prove a point to Tracy, and everybody laughed their asses off before Frank genuinely complimented Liz on how funny it was... then asked,"So how come the show we do now sucks?"

TBF, they were only laughing at it because the very idea of a woman doctor was funny to them. They didn't pay attention at all to whatever was actually funny in the sketch.

Although that might be as different scene I'm thinking of? In that one, I think it's Tracy who was laughing at the idea of a woman doctor.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Want to see me shotgun this?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Sash! posted:

I'd have watched Black Frasier if it was a real show. I mean, Frasier's upstairs neighbor was Black Frasier.

I thought something in this thread was fruity and precocious

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It was huge on BET, every Thursday night at about 9, 9:15

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

bentacos posted:

Want to see me shotgun this?
She's unhinging her jaw. :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

TBF, they were only laughing at it because the very idea of a woman doctor was funny to them. They didn't pay attention at all to whatever was actually funny in the sketch.

Although that might be as different scene I'm thinking of? In that one, I think it's Tracy who was laughing at the idea of a woman doctor.

Tracy definitely says that he thought it was funny because the idea of a woman doctor was hilarious to him (wonderfully the end of the episode he discovers the monkey he thought was hilarious was female), but the rest of the crew seemed to genuinely think it was funny and Frank gives genuine praise to it before the backhanded bit about TGS sucking.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
When is modern science going to find a cure for a woman's mouth?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

chocolate chocolate chocolate gahhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

How could a company from Philadelphia buy a company from New York? That would be like Vietnam defeating the United States in a ground war.