Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Back in the day I used to use outlook, but these days I’m very happy with regular old mail. Mail is much better than it was a decade ago, and every other email app I’ve tried has done something to annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Plain Mail for my Gmail and Outlook for my work email works fine for me. Outlook is a pretty decent client for free.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah I like outlook for my work email other than when they switched to the toolbar with “Feed” and “Apps” which I never use.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Outlook for work. Spark for mobile. Mail for desktop (love smart inboxes).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Fastmail on Mail.app works great for me, very needs suiting

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are gmail still blocking push notifications for everything outside their official app?

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

My work prohibits any other besides Outlook, so I’m stuck using them for work. Mail for everything else.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are gmail still blocking push notifications for everything outside their official app?

As far as I know only for Apple Mail. Outlook and other email apps still have push for Gmail.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am hoping for suggestions on two iPad things. One being a good drawing app for a 6 year old that loves to draw, ideally I spend money on the app and it doesn't require a monthly subscription. The other item being an ipad pen/stylus to use with the app. This is for my kid so I don't have a fixed price amount here beyond just wanting better than trash but not necessarily "I'm a pro digital artist" level of tools. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am hoping for suggestions on two iPad things. One being a good drawing app for a 6 year old that loves to draw, ideally I spend money on the app and it doesn't require a monthly subscription. The other item being an ipad pen/stylus to use with the app. This is for my kid so I don't have a fixed price amount here beyond just wanting better than trash but not necessarily "I'm a pro digital artist" level of tools. Thanks!

For the second one just get whatever Apple Pencil is compatible with your iPad. Save future you the fuss and muss and get the one that will be most supported.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

For the second one just get whatever Apple Pencil is compatible with your iPad. Save future you the fuss and muss and get the one that will be most supported.

Ok she's got a 9th gen iPad and this links info (https://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/) makes it look like the 1st gen pencil is the compatible one to get. Thanks, I'm sure you're right that I shouldn't mess with third party options and hassle.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ok she's got a 9th gen iPad and this links info (https://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/) makes it look like the 1st gen pencil is the compatible one to get. Thanks, I'm sure you're right that I shouldn't mess with third party options and hassle.

Yep. Actual artists may have better suggestions but when I bought my artist daughter an iPad about 3-4 years ago, I bought her a first gen Apple Pencil and Procreate and she still uses it to this day. Is Procreate too hard for a six year old? Maybe, but apparently it works well. No subscriptions either and it’s $12.99.

https://procreate.com/ipad

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

For the first part, my 5 year old loves Pigment. Annual fee but it’s reasonable (40 bucks I think?) and you can try it out without the subscription to see if they like it. (Sub unlocks a bunch of brushes and palettes and drawings to color in.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah, for doing art you really want the pressure/tilt sensitivity, which is the expensive part a lot of third parties (for example, Logitech's Pencil) skip.

Also, don't get it right away, but if the kid is absolutely definitely using it as a drawing tablet primarily and you want to keep facilitating that, look at a Paperlike screen cover (or an Amazon ripoff, they're pretty much the same thing according to artist friends.) It's like a screen protector, but it adds texture and "tooth" (an art word basically meaning a harder texture that you have to push against, it's a good thing) like real paper would have. The downside is that it makes the iPad harder to navigate solely by touch gesture, so you really only want it if it's a drawing tablet as the overwhelming primary use. Otherwise it'll feel miserable when the kid is flipping around games or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Yep. Actual artists may have better suggestions but when I bought my artist daughter an iPad about 3-4 years ago, I bought her a first gen Apple Pencil and Procreate and she still uses it to this day. Is Procreate too hard for a six year old? Maybe, but apparently it works well. No subscriptions either and it’s $12.99.

https://procreate.com/ipad

Procreate is excellent

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll check out procreate and pigment, thanks.

Arivia posted:

Yeah, for doing art you really want the pressure/tilt sensitivity, which is the expensive part a lot of third parties (for example, Logitech's Pencil) skip.

Also, don't get it right away, but if the kid is absolutely definitely using it as a drawing tablet primarily and you want to keep facilitating that, look at a Paperlike screen cover (or an Amazon ripoff, they're pretty much the same thing according to artist friends.) It's like a screen protector, but it adds texture and "tooth" (an art word basically meaning a harder texture that you have to push against, it's a good thing) like real paper would have. The downside is that it makes the iPad harder to navigate solely by touch gesture, so you really only want it if it's a drawing tablet as the overwhelming primary use. Otherwise it'll feel miserable when the kid is flipping around games or something.

She definitely also games on it so I'll keep this in mind for a future upgrade to drawing.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The Logitech crayon got really high marks when it came out. I think it’s still only $70. It lacks pressure sensitivity which matters for fine lines but not for general coloring.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Arivia posted:

Also […] look at a Paperlike screen cover (or an Amazon ripoff, they're pretty much the same thing according to artist friends.) It's like a screen protector, but it adds texture and "tooth" (an art word basically meaning a harder texture that you have to push against, it's a good thing) like real paper would have. The downside is that it makes the iPad harder to navigate solely by touch gesture, so you really only want it if it's a drawing tablet as the overwhelming primary use. Otherwise it'll feel miserable when the kid is flipping around games or something.

She definitely also games on it so I'll keep this in mind for a future upgrade to drawing.

My wife has a Paperlike on her iPad as she uses (/used) it a lot for Procreate. I remember when I first installed it the screen looked a bit fuzzy for general use but the texture is far closer to drawing on paper rather than smudging around on a glass surface. Over time the texture wears down to a middle ground where it’s still grippier, but also has less impact on the picture and touch.

So if you try one, do give it a chance to settle in rather than judging/hating/removing it on day 1.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Procreate is about the closest you can get to "I have these actual art tools and a piece of paper, it lets me recreate the experience of using them just like in real life" that I'm aware of. Plus a few nice helpers like gestures to make nice uniform circles/ellipses/squares/straight lines that look like you were just really good at drawing them yourself with an actual pencil.

(I don't need sketchbooks anymore, now I just have to worry about backups)

Other art apps are probably more MSPaint-like, more geared toward specific kinds of projects or goals, like with shapes and fill tools and text and so on, like a kid might be more into. Procreate is totally freeform, with all that implies.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting ready to take a trip and realized my oldest kid really likes Chess so I should get a chess app.

Is there a good chess app for iPad (iPhone is secondary) that I can pay one time and not see ads ever?
I don’t care about leaderboards or anything social. If it has tutorial / training modes that’s a nice to have.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hed posted:

Getting ready to take a trip and realized my oldest kid really likes Chess so I should get a chess app.

Is there a good chess app for iPad (iPhone is secondary) that I can pay one time and not see ads ever?
I don’t care about leaderboards or anything social. If it has tutorial / training modes that’s a nice to have.

Give Deep Green a try, https://apps.apple.com/us/app/deep-green/id299471086

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, that looks great!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
For that “add to Home Screen” button when sharing a website, is there any way to control what type of thing it opens? I have one for Overseerr, which is an app for requesting files, hosted on a computer I own but accessed over the internet. Another one for speed.cloudflare.com.

The Overseerr one opens like a tight native app. I wouldn’t know it was a website, there’s no UI for safari or anything and it doesn’t appear as a tab, just closes like any app. The cloudflare one just opens a new tab in safari.

What guides this behaviour?

Oops now I found it, of course. It’s up to the developer to include a specific tag

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5967053

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 7, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Kind of a long shot but is anyone else having trouble logging into the Kroger app? The app refuses to let me log in citing incorrect credentials but I can log in on the website just fine and I was logged in in the app until recently.

The reason this kinda matters to me is because Kroger has a ton of coupons and savings that aren’t advertised in store. The Kroger app can be used to scan barcodes which opens the product page and then you can see if there’s any coupons or cash back to clip to your account. It’s a non-insignificant savings.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kind of a long shot but is anyone else having trouble logging into the Kroger app? The app refuses to let me log in citing incorrect credentials but I can log in on the website just fine and I was logged in in the app until recently.

The reason this kinda matters to me is because Kroger has a ton of coupons and savings that aren’t advertised in store. The Kroger app can be used to scan barcodes which opens the product page and then you can see if there’s any coupons or cash back to clip to your account. It’s a non-insignificant savings.

Are you using any content blockers or custom DNS like nextdns or Pihole?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I am but the first thing I tried was disabling them all.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oddly was talking to someone last night whose ISP was getting blocked from Kroger temporarily due to some new security measures or threat detection gone awry. You might want to try disabling WiFi and see if you have a different result just using your cellular connection.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has Amazon integration broken for anyone else using Parcel?
I log back in and it just brings me to my orders screen and doesn’t link up now. It was fine until today.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It's been working fine for me as of a day or so ago. I'll try and remember to follow up when my next package ships.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has Amazon integration broken for anyone else using Parcel?
I log back in and it just brings me to my orders screen and doesn’t link up now. It was fine until today.

Just tried and it worked fine for me. It took it a minute. I just let it sit there for a couple seconds and it eventually dismissed the window showing my orders.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird, it wouldn’t work from the Amazon Integration option, but luckily I had a delivery cached and forcing an update in that took me to the page that then logged me back in. Odd, but I’ll take it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I know there has already been some discussion, but it’s frustrating that the Journal app does not explain itself before asking for notifs. Is there anything it offers that is worth having another silo for personal media?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Journal seems pretty basic so far. It has prompts in case you have writer’s block, and you can easily attach multimedia to entries, but that’s about it. No search that I can find, which makes me hesitate going all in.

e: and no exporting either, in case you want to back up or print or whatever your style is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Trip report on switching from using the GMail app to just Mail.app:

It’s fine. I like that there are no ads and all links just open in Safari. Much easier to read all your mail if you want to vs having stuff get sorted to folders I never read. Dislike how sometimes it takes longer to get an email I’m waiting for. Really dislike how sometimes it downloads the subject of a mail but not the contents. That is not a useful feature in the year 2023.

Would recommend.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

smackfu posted:

It’s fine. I like that there are no ads and all links just open in Safari. Much easier to read all your mail if you want to vs having stuff get sorted to folders I never read. Dislike how sometimes it takes longer to get an email I’m waiting for. Really dislike how sometimes it downloads the subject of a mail but not the contents. That is not a useful feature in the year 2023.

Would recommend.

Those downsides could be specific to the interaction with Gmail, my email provider is outlook.com and I’ve never had those issues with mail.app.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

smackfu posted:

Would recommend.

Those problems are why I switched from mail.app to the Gmail app years ago. Too many blank emails. Plus its spam filtering was a little too aggressive for my liking.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What are y'all using to bypass paywalls? There are quite a few Shortcuts on RoutineHub, but I've found 12ft.io's Shortcut might be the best.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I like the one with the same name as yours minus the 2

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

smackfu posted:

Would recommend.

FYI, there's no ads in the GMail app if you use the normal inbox instead of their categorised/focussed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting. So maybe the best option would be to use the Gmail app and turn off that stuff, which is basically how I’m using Mail.app anyway.