Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I had no idea about the air pollution / wind direction thing when I made my first city and now I'm 35k pop deep and hesitant to move my entire industrial grid to the other side of the city so 10% of my city lives with perpetual sickness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah I'm waiting for mods or a **really** good sale before I buy this.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Concurred posted:

I had no idea about the air pollution / wind direction thing when I made my first city and now I'm 35k pop deep and hesitant to move my entire industrial grid to the other side of the city so 10% of my city lives with perpetual sickness

Endemic :coronatoot:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

serious gaylord posted:

CS2 has lost 80% of its players in 6 weeks. That is pretty bad and is probably representative of the hype the marketing train brought it.

This is literally normal. Any game with a huge hype train has people check in and then move on super quick. Companies don't care, they got their money.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Concurred posted:

Just rezone that part to mcmansions.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Concurred posted:

So what you're saying is the healthcare economy is booming

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So I'm supposed to sprinkle commercial all throughout the medium/high density residential areas? Can't just make a big ol commercial blob cause of the customer mechanic and cims hating transit?

Also is there any reason to ever use the normal medium density residential ever again after you unlock the mixed use?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Visual appearance for one, but also Ive found that even in a heavily built up area with high density 6x6 towers that if I make all of my medium density zones into mixed use buildings i still end up with to much commercial overall and start getting the not enough customers. If i split 50/50 between mixed and normal medium density I hardly ever see that icon pop up.

CPP has a new video tutorial out yesterday about building streetcar suburbs, and what was most interesting to me was how good the area looked when all the buildings were zoned as either 2x2 or 2x3.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How do I quench my citizens' unrelenting thirst for low-density housing? I keep sacrificing land to suburban sprawl, which immediately gets snatched up while the dense urban core I'm trying to build remains completely unoccupied.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Leave em thirsty. You can get away with some suburbs and basically forcing teh rest into MD/HD eventually.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't messed with this but can you increase taxes on low density residential only?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Popete posted:

I haven't messed with this but can you increase taxes on low density residential only?

Yep!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You sure it’s by density? Or is it education level?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
No, only by education of all things. Cranking them on the completely uneducated can nudge things a little, I guess, as higher density demand is driven by families having students, apparently Uneducated means 'an actual peasant resisting enclosure/collectivisation', but you can drop all the way to -10 for higher tiers without it really moving the needle so it seems more a way to redline existing suburbia.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

blastron posted:

How do I quench my citizens' unrelenting thirst for low-density housing? I keep sacrificing land to suburban sprawl, which immediately gets snatched up while the dense urban core I'm trying to build remains completely unoccupied.

There will always be low density housing demand. Just ignore it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just loving around, said hey let's build a big nuclear plant just for fun

surely an advanced water pumping station, 6 water pumps, and 6 upgraded waste treatment plants should be enough even if it looks ugly right? i mean sure the requirements are high for nuclear power but after putting 2500 hours in CS1 surely this should suffice

uh-huh.....the only other buildings connected to the grid are an elementary school, high school, and hospital. i think this is a little excessive for a single nuclear power plant

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
residential taxes by education is really bizarre considering as far as I can tell there is no coherent logic behind where the educated/wealthy live. Pull up the education or wealth overview and everywhere is just a random mashup regardless of density or land value.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

barnold posted:

just loving around, said hey let's build a big nuclear plant just for fun

surely an advanced water pumping station, 6 water pumps, and 6 upgraded waste treatment plants should be enough even if it looks ugly right? i mean sure the requirements are high for nuclear power but after putting 2500 hours in CS1 surely this should suffice

uh-huh.....the only other buildings connected to the grid are an elementary school, high school, and hospital. i think this is a little excessive for a single nuclear power plant

afaik that nuclear power plant is using less water in a month than a real one would use in a day so if anything you should need to coat your city in water treatment plants

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

turn off the TV posted:

afaik that nuclear power plant is using less water in a month than a real one would use in a day so if anything you should need to coat your city in water treatment plants

while true, this also is an issue with the scale of utility units. if we want to draw closer to reality then nuclear power plants should be able to draw water directly from a water source just like real life. also what's with limiting me to only one advanced water pump

this is what i mean when i say the simulation forces you to build within a box - it's not the difficulty of the simulation, it's that if i want a nuclear power plant because it looks cool, i have to section off like two map sectors dedicated to nothing but water pumps and waste plants. this feels very stupid coming from a creative system i was accustomed to in CS1. CS1 may not have had the most engaging simulation, or the correct scale for unit sizes and requirements, but you could at least work with it in various ways that didn't significantly compromise the city-painter aspects of the game. do i want to spend that much time placing and connecting water buildings just to have a cool power plant (and is it even worth it)? not really imho, but mods will fix everything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Although equally real nuclear plants don't actually need to treat the water because it doesn't go into the reactor.

It probably should be modeled separately from the normal water system yeah. They need access to water but you aren't running them off tap water and sending the result to the sewage plant.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

blastron posted:

Others said it too, but ignore 'em (e; ignore the cims I mean, not the other posters :v:). Demand bars in CS2 aren't really 'demand' anymore, they're more 'will build if zoned', and how they interact with each other remains somewhat arcane for the time being. But yeah short answer is just build whatever low density you want and tell the cims to cope.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 4, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

residential taxes by education is really bizarre considering as far as I can tell there is no coherent logic behind where the educated/wealthy live. Pull up the education or wealth overview and everywhere is just a random mashup regardless of density or land value.

Are we sure it's by the education level of the cim and not of the education requirement of the job they're holding?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Patch getting rid of teeth (and other performance improvements) on the 18th.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

MikeJF posted:

Patch getting rid of teeth (and other performance improvements) on the 18th.

should introduce a "dental care" stat as a joke

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cims arrive in the city with a mouth full of teeth. The better your dentist coverage, the more of them can get teeth pulled, until eventually they're all gums.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Hockey rink and skatepark free-LC. Pesky teeth will be dealt with the raddest treatments available.

ETA: Ever since the latest patch nobody is happy with the mail service even though I added more boxes, post offices, and a sorting facility, which sits idle. The seaport exports things now, so that's good at least.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 4, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp48NQJygP4

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

barnold posted:

while true, this also is an issue with the scale of utility units. if we want to draw closer to reality then nuclear power plants should be able to draw water directly from a water source just like real life. also what's with limiting me to only one advanced water pump

this is what i mean when i say the simulation forces you to build within a box - it's not the difficulty of the simulation, it's that if i want a nuclear power plant because it looks cool, i have to section off like two map sectors dedicated to nothing but water pumps and waste plants. this feels very stupid coming from a creative system i was accustomed to in CS1. CS1 may not have had the most engaging simulation, or the correct scale for unit sizes and requirements, but you could at least work with it in various ways that didn't significantly compromise the city-painter aspects of the game. do i want to spend that much time placing and connecting water buildings just to have a cool power plant (and is it even worth it)? not really imho, but mods will fix everything

From reading this thread it sounds like the game has fallen into the trap of simulating things for the sake of realism. But this ends up putting constraints on the game, leading to unrealistic (and unfun) results.

It's a tricky balance that any sim game must deal with. CS1 wasn't great, I think CS2 might be worse in this way.

I really hope mods will be able to alter such core mechanics.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Game has been on Xbox game pass since release fwiw. For people wanting to play but not willing to go full price.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I do have to give C:S2 cred for something, the most recent patch added credits for the various localization teams.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is there a way to clear out ground pollution other than time?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Asproigerosis posted:

No.

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Asproigerosis posted:

I put offices on it so it's not entirely useless. Free productivity from the mutant workforce.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
why's my industrial land value so loving high :(

Oh I see they hate having access to government goods and services like mail, internet, police, fire. Such rugged capitalists!

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 8, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

why's my industrial land value so loving high :(

Oh I see they hate having access to government goods and services like mail, internet, police, fire. Such rugged capitalists!

I remember reading there's a specific bug where industry will self-price itself out of the land it's on

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Thats exactly what happened, anything already there is OK, but anything new is just empty building nobody will rent and if I demolish anything nobody will build in this particular high fallutin value area despite full rci bar.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
There's something deep-seated in the pricing/profitability/maybe pathfinding math that produces what's, irkingly, the only real "failstate" the game has when the economy's ticking along too well. 50k to 100k in my save was accomplished in about 15 minutes of every meter pegged, through the laying down of massive new dense C and dense R districts. Around there C demand zeroed, citing demand for specifically gas stations; sparse C was zoned, which immediately leveled up the poo poo out of the dense C while also stealing half their workers; R then turboleveled itself, because everyone was getting paid a fortune as buildings tried to hire; and R demand zeroed because ? no one could come up with first, last, and deposit to immigrate or something.

100k-200k was accomplished in about 15 minutes interaction and several days' runtime via the expident of zoning literally anywhere that I could mixed-use, it only building lot by lot when an existing C went out of business for traffic rush/fire reasons, and then the one it knocked out rebuilding when the assorted spouses of the immigrants that came for the empty-but-build housing also needed jobs. Just let it run in the background forever. If I wanted to do that twice over again, I might actually get out of the bubble, but as it stands now even a doubled population hasn't moved the needle enough to allow -10% subsidized low-rent flats by the reassuring hum of the nuclear plant/prison/sewage complex, securely 5km+ down a two-lane highway from any services or private employment, to not immediately pop purple and refuse to build.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Thats exactly what happened, anything already there is OK, but anything new is just empty building nobody will rent and if I demolish anything nobody will build in this particular high fallutin value area despite full rci bar.

Sounds like you need to do a reverse gentrification and liven up the area with landfills

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Asproigerosis posted:

Deepest simulation ever, remember - if you can dream it, you can build it, particularly if you want to build Luton or Duluth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Lmao that they’re adding two new maps that are literally “one for people who hate seasons” and “one for people who hate terrain”.