Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ultra Instinct Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

MrMojok posted:

GvK had its moments but personally I hated the hollow earth stuff, and it looks like they’re all-in on that now

Hard agree with this. I wasn't thrilled with G'14 but at the end of the day it at least took place in a world that was recognizably our own. The insane cartoon stuff that started with KOTM and is accelerating into GxK doesn't really interest me. I'll dutifully be there on opening night, of course, but this isn't how I would have sketched this franchise out. Hard to complain when a "serious" Godzilla movie just made $11m at the US box office despite being a subtitled foreign release, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV1OOlGwExM

A trailer for the upcoming American film. Completely different vibes, to be sure. Looks like what summer blockbusters are supposed to! Also Kong wearing that gauntlet just makes me think of Metal Gear Solid V. Punished Kong.

This looks very stupid in a way I am willing to go with.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhonne posted:

Surprised they resisted the urge to also have a baby Godzilla running around to pal around with baby Kong.

Gonna be in the post-credits stinger.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Imagine being Christopher Nolan watching this and realizing your biopic about the atom bomb inventor only has the 2nd best nuclear explosion of the year. It really cannot be emphasized how good Minus One looks for $15M, I just know those VFX artists were overworked to hell and back.

I like that they tried to do new things with a pure evil Godzilla and compressing/decompressing him to kill him. The relationship dynamics with Shikishima are pretty endearing and that in itself makes it top percentile of human plots in Godzilla. Like, an American take would have the next door neighbour be a vicious drunk and get killed off violently. Here everybody has flaws but are working on being better to survive.

Jimbot posted:

A trailer for the upcoming American film. Completely different vibes, to be sure. Looks like what summer blockbusters are supposed to! Also Kong wearing that gauntlet just makes me think of Metal Gear Solid V. Punished Kong.

I kind of hate how much of this seems to be set in Hollow Earth.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That definitely looks like a Kong in the Lost World movie that just so happens to have a guest appearance by Godzilla.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

That definitely looks like a Kong in the Lost World movie that just so happens to have a guest appearance by Godzilla.

Maybe we'll get lucky and that weird underground society that they seem to be showing in a few shots will summon Megalon or some other Godzilla baddy to even things out.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

This looks very stupid in a way I am willing to go with.

Looks great except that last 10 seconds of them both running. Looks to fast or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhonne posted:

What's with Godzilla's pink energy?

he's gay

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Not feeling the Kong X Godzilla trailer at all. A lot of ancient alien stuff and in general as someone up thread remarked completely detached from our reality.

What a massive change in tone from that original teaser trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

Glad Toho's still doing humans vs. monster as the central conflict

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shneak posted:

Imagine being Christopher Nolan watching this and realizing your biopic about the atom bomb inventor only has the 2nd best nuclear explosion of the year. It really cannot be emphasized how good Minus One looks for $15M, I just know those VFX artists were overworked to hell and back.

For one the Oppenheimer nuke was a practical effect.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Oppenheimer nuke was amazing except for all the wide shots where it was very clearly small and near instead of far and big.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

site posted:

he's gay

Little Godzilla is trans so this is true and good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
TIL that the Oppie nuke was practical :psyduck:

This was kind of my first proper Godzilla movie and I went to see it after seeing the word of mouth on a whim, and thought it was very good. I liked the ending, in that it fits the main plot of "Resolving to live in the face of guilt and despair over meaningless and inglorious self sacrifice", but also has the sobering reminder while the War Might Be Over, the damage has been done and probably will remain for some time, as shown with the dark marks on Noriko, and that is before the final scene of the Godzilla bits regenerating

Guess I probably should watch Shin Godzilla sometime? :v:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 4, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Unlucky7 posted:

Guess I probably should watch Shin Godzilla sometime? :v:

Shin Godzilla is amazing and in some ways very similar but in other ways very different. Like, there is no human relationship drama in Shin. All the humans in Shin are reacting to Godzilla as individuals within a much larger bureaucracy.

But yes you should watch it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The human part of Minus One is absolutely incredible and makes any comparison to "cool" or "fun" Godzilla movies a thing my brain can't do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jimbot posted:

I looked into this, and the new evil kaiju is called Skar King. One of the trailer thumbnails on youtube has a good look at him in full.

He's a giant ape, but based on an orangutan rather than a gorilla.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 4, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I appreciate the Godzilla franchise running the gamut of tones. There needs to be more of that. One film is serious and somber the other is a Saturday morning cartoon.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

FooF posted:

edit: GxK trailer - and then you go this direction with it. You have two CG creatures, completely dwarfed by their surroundings, lacking any gravitas whatsoever.

This was what struck me most. There is literally a single shot, maybe a second or two looking over Godzilla's shoulder down on a beach I think, that gives any sense of size or awe. It looks awful. I really wish Apple had permission to split off Monarch from the post Skull Island movies into its own timeline. It might not be great (yet) but it at least feels plausibly in the same, somewhat grounded and superior universe as 2014 and Skull Island.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Legendary movies seem to be trying to speedrun the Showa era so hell yeah let’s go with Seatopia and Megalon.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The human part of Minus One is absolutely incredible and makes any comparison to "cool" or "fun" Godzilla movies a thing my brain can't do.

:agreed:

I think Minus One and Vs. Kong were both very good. One as a touching story about post WW2 Japan with a monster in it, and the other as something to get baked and yell at on the living room TV.

Has anyone been watching the AppleTV+ show, and if so, is it worth the subscription?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Legendary movies seem to be trying to speedrun the Showa era so hell yeah let’s go with Seatopia and Megalon.

Yeah I mean, maybe I'm just a hypocrite but that running Godzilla at the end of the new trailer looks horrible because it looks like a guy running with no tail anatomy and far too fast so I hate it. But at the same time I find the pinnacle of Showa Godzilla actions is the flying drop kick from Godzilla Vs. Megalon so 🤷🏻‍♂️

edit:

The Ghoul posted:

Has anyone been watching the AppleTV+ show, and if so, is it worth the subscription?

I find it completely underwhelming with a bunch of characters that I cannot find any real empathy for. But Apple also has shows like "Alternative reality space race show that sucks capitalist dick with aplomb" and "Smug liberal news show show" so ymmv.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Splint Chesthair posted:

Lol, my 13 year old life-long Godzilla freak said almost the exact same thing (substitute "dropkick" for Seatopia and Megalon). This is literally the first time he's been down on a coming Godzilla movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollow Earth is cool but when is Legendary introducing aliens

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

King of the Monsters. Legendary Ghidorah is an alien.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Ghoul posted:

I think Minus One and Vs. Kong were both very good. One as a touching story about post WW2 Japan with a monster in it, and the other as something to get baked and yell at on the living room TV.
Given I haven't watched Vs. Kong stoned, but I really hated it when I first watched it. But really liked G:KOTM.

The Ghoul posted:

The high production values have been enough to keep me entertained for the first few episodes. I wouldn't say it's worth a subscription all on its own, maybe if it gets incredible before the season is over.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

In fairness it would not be the first Godzilla movie that’s basically a whole other movie that just so happens to have a guest appearance by Godzilla.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Aliens have been in Godzilla movies for decades. Was only a matter of time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Loved it. Not as good as Shin Godzilla, but honestly what is? This was still a great movie and really emotional. Cried at the end. 4/5

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Shin Godzilla is amazing and in some ways very similar but in other ways very different. Like, there is no human relationship drama in Shin. All the humans in Shin are reacting to Godzilla as individuals within a much larger bureaucracy.

But yes you should watch it.

Shin's a really good movie, but it's also one that I'd kinda check opinions first, like how someone feels about Apollo 13 style "A bunch of dudes in a room work out how to deal with a crisis" films.

Minus One is similarly good, but it's one you can just say "You like movies? Go see it."

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

chiasaur11 posted:

Shin's a really good movie, but it's also one that I'd kinda check opinions first, like how someone feels about Apollo 13 style "A bunch of dudes in a room work out how to deal with a crisis" films.

shin Godzilla is a film about a scarred atomic god brightening the night sky with purple lasers while a guy gets eighty promotions at once

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Godzilla should not run he looks so goofy

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I hope Minus One will still be in theaters where I am this weekend, because all of the showings were almost entirely sold out where I am and I couldn't make it happen! On the one hand, I'm happy that it's doing so well. On the other hand, I had a moment where I seriously considered asking if I could just stand in the back of a showing and am worried about myself.

Gripweed posted:

In fairness it would not be the first Godzilla movie that’s basically a whole other movie that just so happens to have a guest appearance by Godzilla.

I can very much dig the idea of Godzilla being the literal Godzilla threshold in the Monsterverse from here.

Rhonne posted:

What's with Godzilla's pink energy? Is he on the verge of a meltdown like at the end of Godzilla vs Destoroyah?

Surprised they resisted the urge to also have a baby Godzilla running around to pal around with baby Kong.

Some of the marketing materials said that Godzilla was going to have a new, more powerful form in this movie. I think it's a signifier of a power boost and not a meltdown.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I hate to pass judgement seeing it out of context, but that clip where Godzilla and Kong are running like Rocky and Apollo doesn’t look real great.

Also it’s just the whole concept of it, that isn’t great.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Godzilla should not run he looks so goofy

I hope it turns out the mo capped a dude in a Godzilla suit running to CGI Godzilla

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Ghoul posted:

monarch's biggest problem is that it's a show about the godzilla universe that can't be about godzilla because of its place in the timeline

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Monsterverse is just a slippery slide into superhero bullshit. Now Kong has a metal glove?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Watched Minus in IMAX, took the whole fam. After tickets, transit, and snacks it came out to almost $100 in CAD and that was entirely worth it just to see atomic breath in IMAX (and hear it, more importantly -- sound is crazy with this movie, more than anything I've seen since Dune). Great family outing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Martman posted:

might go see minus one today it sounds awesome

You deserve this, do it. See it on the biggest screen you have available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

site posted:

monarch's biggest problem is that it's a show about the godzilla universe that can't be about godzilla because of its place in the timeline

That and almost all the human characters are just terrible and you wish them off the screen whenever they're on it.